Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

How Many?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Many?

Postby Trophyhill » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 1]

How many opportunities would you say you have every year to kill an elk?
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 01 20, 2013
Location: Tijeras, NM
First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: How Many?

Postby Lefty » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Its been 1 plus encounter under 21 yards

Im going to group my herd opportunities and label as one per herd if it was 20 seconds or 20 minutes 1 plus 21-60 yards
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: How Many?

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 3]

It varies a lot. There have been years I could have killed a dozen elk, and sometime the opportunities are very scares. The trend has been for fewer opportunities over the past 10+ years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 10760
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: How Many?

Postby spookinelk » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 4]

If I can pull the shot off....only one :D , if I'm hunting OTC any legal elk is good for me .
If I draw a good tag I might let a smaller bull or cow go.... until the last couple of days of the hunt.
User avatar
spookinelk
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 25, 2014
First Name: Dewane
Last Name: Mosher

Re: How Many?

Postby easeup » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I will define an opportunity as one where I clip on; I can see an elk near bow range, and I perceive a draw might be possible.

with that intro, on the years I put a tag on bone, I would say I get about 3 to 6 opportunities.
On the years I eat soup, it is usually two or less.
User avatar
easeup
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 980
Joined: 06 15, 2012
Location: TEXAS

Re: How Many?

Postby Screaming_btf » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 6]

1- 3 on mature Bulls. 6-8 on smaller bulls and cows. I do have many days without seeing or sniffing an opportunity however.. I am classifying this on being within 70 yards and having a reasonable chance to get a good shot.
Screaming_btf
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 12 31, 2013
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: F