Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's In It For You?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's In It For You?

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Bar none, I believe this is the best elk hunting forum on the internet, and out does any magazine out there as a place to scope out elk. It is a great place to have a nonthreatening discussion, and either validate or clear up perceptions about elk hunting. I know that no one can experience everything, but together, (that is all of us on the forum) we bring cumulatively over a thousand years of acquired knowledge. Which magazine can boast that? I do not believe there is a book out there that can come close to the experience available here. I don't know about you, but I enjoy coming in and listening in on some of the other elk forum campfires, but I always feel like a guest there. Here is where I have my own wood block to sit on that has my name carved in it. If I can just get delinquents like John Fitzgerald, RJ, Indian Summer and WW to quit messing with it I could sit rather comfortably. :D
So, as I set another log on the fire, watch my chair, while Elknut, WW, Indian Summer, John Fitzgerald, cnelk, RJ and a host of others are gathered around for what is sure to be a long winter. We have plenty of time to pick their brains and improve our game for next year. So what do you want to get out of this forum and is there anything you feel is missing?
BTW, I have a trail camera monitoring my chair, so don't worry, our resident mischief makers won't get away with much.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What's In It For You?

Postby idahoghost » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

+1
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby bnsafe » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I agree completely swede. this is my only real go to site. I post occasionally on other sites but mainly a lurker. mostly because of the responses you get. this site an you guys have helped me immensely with getting started in the elk world an I can never say thank you enuf. I just wish I could help out. maybe someday or someone will have a question about mo or turkeys sometime.
again, a very heartfelt thankyou gentleman an swede. :lol:
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Swede, great post! It's so important for ones to come to a Forum & feel good about asking any questions about elk that they may have, there are plenty of folks more than willing to assist them & I know for a fact that includes you! (grin) The information ones can dwell from Forums as this is mind boggling yet needed. There are so many situations & encounters we as hunters come upon everyear & so the same mistakes aren't made over & over we can receive satisfying & effective replies here.

I feel so many of us take for granted at times as to what we know about elk hunting that we've gathered over the years that we feel everyone "knows that" about a particular thought or subject! In fact, it's exactly the opposite. There are so many newer elk hunters out there hanging on every thought trying to better themselves so they can be consistently successful. I too have gleaned many things here & had my mind refreshed about things I had forgotten about, these Forums help us to recall such things.

I know it's late in the year & a lot of the seasons are now over with but folks this is the time to gear your thinking up & prepare for next year. Of course most have families & that's of most importance but don't wait until a month before elk season to start thinking of what's needed for you personally. There's lots of new folks out there, please feel free to ask anything you'd like on the subject there are many here to help!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby easeup » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I just want to help someone be successful in some small way. This is the place to do it for I don't have to deal with the my junk is bigger and better than yours stuff that prevails in other places. In the process, I usually get a few laughs and remember lots of good times.
thanks to all who play here.
easeup

Postby JGH » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yes, excellent website here ... "non-threatening" ... a better word is "polite" ...

The community here is smaller, which is a drag for those of us who check the site more frequently ... but the information is more detailed and usable.

"Actionable Intelligence", as they say.

I guess I'll stick around!
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Still Hunter » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I'm new to this forum, but I have thousands of posts on other hunting forums. Not with the name I used here. This seems like a nice forum to come to. I guess I go to hunting forums, because hunters are great to hang out with. We have something in common that i've loved to do all my life.

Maybe I can pass on some knowledge, and even though i've been hunting for 63 years. It's never too late to learn something new.
Still Hunter

Postby elkmtngear » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I think I've collected a lot of great tactics on the forums, in regard to "thinking out of the box", as well as great gear tips and general elk knowledge.

Also, since you asked, I'd love to sell you a SLIP System if you are in the market for a blind, decoy, trekking pole, shooting stick, treestand umbrella, etc.

That's what's in it for me ;) I hope I can contribute something valuable here and there as well!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I agree with all the above comments. Well, all but the delinquents part. Our own RJ, Indian, and WW are the only trouble makers I know! :-)

p.s. Swede - RJ, Indian, and I are going to carve our initials into your chair when your not looking. muahahaha!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby pointysticks » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:I agree with all the above comments. Well, all but the delinquents part. Our own RJ, Indian, and WW are the only trouble makers I know! :-)

p.s. Swede - RJ, Indian, and I are going to carve our initials into your chair when your not looking. muahahaha!

cut out 0.5" on one of the chair legs. not enough to notice visibly..but enough to rock. haha..

ssshh!! i think i hear him coming back. look casual!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Only reason Swede has to set up a trail cam on his chair is so he will recognize it when he comes back. Yes! Old age does things like that to a guy!

Now, where did I put those dad gum truck keys??????
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Carving initials in Swede's chair? Cut off a piece of the chair leg? Needs a trail cam to find his way back to the fire? Swede starts a very good thread in my opinion, commenting on this fine elk forum, and asks folks what they want to discuss in future threads and this is the thanks he gets. What is wrong with you people :( By the way, all good ideas but my plan was to put two drops of cow in estrus scent on his chair when he was gone ;) It's the gift that keeps on giving.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Phantom16 wrote:Carving initials in Swede's chair? Cut off a piece of the chair leg? Needs a trail cam to find his way back to the fire? Swede starts a very good thread in my opinion, commenting on this fine elk forum, and asks folks what they want to discuss in future threads and this is the thanks he gets. What is wrong with you people :( By the way, all good ideas but my plan was to put two drops of cow in estrus scent on his chair when he was gone ;) It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Swede started it!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I just started a nice friendly thread and look at the abuse I get. The genesis of this thread was RJ's thread blatting about someone writing another book. If you have a question that needs to be answered, just spit it out. :D
BTW: The next time you hear that big bull bugle off in the timber behind camp, just check to see if cnelk is in his chair. If it is empty let John go after the bull alone. It is just Brad's way of getting a couple extra biscuits while JF is gone. It is always interesting to hear John's story about how he got soooo close, but just could not seal the deal, while Brad polishes off the last biscuit.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:I just started a nice friendly thread and look at the abuse I get. The genesis of this thread was RJ's thread blatting about someone writing another book. If you have a question that needs to be answered, just spit it out. :D
BTW: The next time you hear that big bull bugle off in the timber behind camp, just check to see if cnelk is in his chair. If it is empty let John go after the bull alone. It is just Brad's way of getting a couple extra biscuits while JF is gone. It is always interesting to hear John's story about how he got soooo close, but just could not seal the deal, while Brad polishes off the last biscuit.

LOL, and off goes the gloves! Hey I was an innocent party in this. By carving our names into your chair only means we are behind you in spirit and support you brother. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 8-)

Ok, back to Swede's orginal question? What do you folks want to discuss?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby cnelk » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Im not sure about all this chit chat about sitting around a camp fire...

Swede originally asked 'Whats in it for you?'

Im in it for the royalty checks I get each month for participating in this forum
The checks are a welcome bonus.

For those newcomers, you will really like the hat that is sent to you once you get to 1000 posts.
After the first 1000 posts, the royalty checks are compounded by every 100 more you post

Now where is my chair? I need to eat my biscuits
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Still Hunter » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I love getting checks. I need to get posting.

Who's got some questions?
Still Hunter

Postby mtnmutt » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I had plan to stay out of this thread and just lurk, but now I feel bad about the wolves circling poor old hootie.

This probably isn't what swede is looking for but my brain isn't coming up with anything better.

Effects of September weather on elk patterns and talking?

The rains were relentless in many western states this year. Late September, was also my first experience of hunting in the snow. It was only light snow, but the morning windchill temp was 10. The elk were already herded up in remote thick timber places. Before the snow, the wind was wicked.

I have to plan my time off, therefore, rescheduling a hunt because of weather is not an option. The rains made for a lot less hunting hours.

Also, this seemed very good for many of us: live or semi-live threads of a person's hunt. It helped me to see some of changes in tactics as their hunt progressed. Like a blog of person's individual hunt.
mtnmutt

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 19]

mtnmutt wrote:I had plan to stay out of this thread and just lurk, but now I feel bad about the wolves circling poor old hootie.

I don't mean to derail this thread again, but that was too funny. It sent water out my nose and mouth onto my Lab. Poor thing thought she was getting a bath.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 20]

mtnmutt: I am going to rewrite your question as a new thread. Please let me know if I do not get to the essence of what your question is. I think the question fits directly on what I was getting to when I started the thread. I would hate to interrupt the abuse I have to tolerate by having something useful get mixed in here. :roll:
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Cnelk wrote: Im in it for the royalty checks I get each month for participating in this forum
The checks are a welcome bonus.

What the heck!!! Elknut has been holding out on me again.

But back to Swede's post, I'm in it right here on the forum to share some of what I have learned in the past and to pick up a tip or two for myself.

When out in the elk timber, even after several decades, I'm still going to school.

How's that for a good answer Hootie??
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Mojostylee24 » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 22]

As of right now I spend my time on here selfishly absorbing every bit of knowledge I can... Hopefully I will be able to contibute by asking a question that some other rookie is thinking of also and one day, when I have even a tiny bit of experience, may even be able to dispense some of my own gems to the Elknuts!
Mojostylee24

First Name: James
Last Name: Anderson

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 23]

You come up with some pretty good stuff WW, when you are not snoozing in your ragged lawn chair and passing gas. I still don't know why you keep bringing that old chair to camp, when you could easily afford a new one. The old boy may have forgotten a lot, but he still knows more than most. :D
Swede

Postby cnelk » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Well I got notice today that the royalty checks will be stopped.
I will also need to send back the hat... :)

I think most know why we visit this site.
Its a friendly place, where everyone can contribute and learn.

Most forums are 80% BS and 20% informative.
I like that fact that those ratios are flipped here [that doesnt apply to WW tho]

Its a great thing to help someone harvest an elk, be it their first or 23rd.

I have gleaned a lot from being here and I hope to continue to do so
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I'm sorry to hear about your royalty checks Brad, but having to send the hat back has to hurt. I have a red Cabela's cap which you can have if it will ease the pain.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 26]

We love you hootie. You're just like one of those live in mother-in-laws. Sometimes you have to kick them to keep their senses sharp. That's all were doing buddy, kicking you! ;)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 27]

John, you need to be careful here. Elknut may be sending you a notice to return your hat too, and I have a very limited number of cheap ball caps as a consolation gift.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Ok, I'll behave.....for now! :twisted:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 29]

You guys had to return your royalty checks? That's odd. I thought the increase in mine was some kind of holiday bonus 8-)

I too enjoy the quality and tone of this particular forum, "the elk forum". At a somewhat seasoned age of 54, I feel like a pup when I compare my elk kit bag to some of the cats on this forum. I seem to add something to my elk hunting data base every week here and hopefully, am able to share a tip or two myself. One of the things I like most are the questions folks ask that prompt discussion and yes, sometimes good natured debate. What's in it for me personally? Hopefully more of the same kind of quality content we've been fortunate enough to experience the past few years. If we can just keep those darn pot stirrers under control ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby quarbles » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 30]

i really like this forum... there seems to be less ego involved; therefore, it is conducive towards honest discussion... i find that to be a more productive enviroment for learning. i'm simply here to make the learning curve a li'l more gentler on myself in hopes that i get more lightbulb moments in the woods.
i like lightbulb moments.
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 31]

I feel a dreadful need to get back and help John. Buddy, you need to focus now. Elk season is over for us this year, and soon the fat man in the red suit will be coming. Even my 4 year old granddaughter knows this is the time of year when you are polite. and mind your manners. I would like to check with her parents, to see if see is available to give you some coaching on the finer points of proper etiquette. Unfortunately for you, she is busy with college prep. (preschool) and she is mentoring her younger sister. I think the two year old is currently in education over-load with this Santa Claus thing and potty training coming on all at the same time. I would like to do better, but I have no one else to help you. You will just have to take my word for it. Clean up your act now, or it will be too late. :D
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Hey, I said I'd behave! You need to punish RJ. I'm taking a beating on two other threads. Don't need a 3rd. :lol:

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2013 •  [Post 33]

What could I say to RJ? He is obviously a very disturbed man. I have little hope that Santa will stop at his place this winter anyway. For him, I fear it is too late. The best he can hope for is that the whole herd of reindeer, pulling the sled, don't just take a notion to relieve themselves when they cruise over his home.

Ditto for cnelk and WW.
Swede