Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Calling Tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Calling Tips

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

When learning how to elk call(internal reed), you must first learn some basic sounds. From there you can expand your knowledge and ability.

Here is the order in which I recommend:

1) Calf -> Cow Mew

2) Cow Mew -> Spike Squeal
Cow Mew -> Nervous Grunt
Cow Mew -> Excited Cow

3) Nervous Grunt -> Chuckles

4) Spike Squeal -> Location Bugle

5) Excited Cow -> Estruss Buzz

6) Location Bugle -> Challenge Bugle

7) Challenge Bugle -> Lip Bawl(as requested by Swede)

8) Chuckles -> Warning Grunts

Just my 2-cents!

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Elk Calling Tips

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think your priority is just fine. Those are very common and well used calls. I like to hear a good lip ball bugle. They sound so cool in coming through the forest, but mine stink.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Updated my list with a lip bawl placement. In my opinion, this order gives your the foundation first then with slight modifications you can expand your calling to encompass more sounds.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ABQ_Chica » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks, John. This is helpful for a newbie, and narrows down the range of sounds to start with. So far, only my cow/calf calls consistently sound very realistic with a mouth call. My bull calls, on the other hand, go something like this:

Stepped-on puppy --> Rusty door hinge --> Worn-out brake pads --> Ice-cube-down-the-shirt shrieks

In all fairness to Elknut, I was probably over-reaching by trying to practice every single call in the Playbook---and mastering none. I'll spend more time focusing on the handful of bull calls mentioned in this list and go from there. Thanks!
ABQ_Chica

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good stuff John. These numbered steps provide a solid road map for learning/practicing elk sounds using diaphram calls. No need to start with towering bugles; start with basic cow/calf sounds and work your way up. Confidence will build as a caller gets comfortable with each call/level as they go through the noises..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Glacier Country » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have been helping John with some of his elk calls and I have had him break the sounds down into steps so he can learn to master them, and then add to it kinda like Mathematics. It just makes the learning curve faster. Hope this helps ---> Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Yes, Troy had to smack me up along side the head for trying too big of sounds before I mastered the smaller ones. I've always taught that but I guess I failed to listen to my own advice. Thanks for the help Troy. The large framed reed progress is coming along well! :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ctdad » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Troy has been doing the same with me. I'm already a better caller but I'm not quite there yet. Thanks troy!
ctdad

Postby Glacier Country » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Glad to help you guys.
It is just so much easier to learn how to do a calf call,and then learn how to drop your jaw a little for the cow sound. Then make the kind of a goose sound to start the bugle.One big key is to learn how to do it with the lightest of air and tongue pressure first.Then add more air and tongue pressure as you get to each higher pitch. It just makes for much easier transitions. Also a faster learning curve.
Many new callers try to put an elk call in their mouth and expect too much at first. Learn how to break down each part of the call you want to do and then expand your list of sounds from there.John made a good list to learn from. Also put a call in your mouth and sing along with the radio. you will learn that certain words or even letters make put your tongue and jaw in a position to make sounds you have been trying so hard to get when all of the sudden you hit a word or letter of a word in a song and the reed hit a tone and the light goes on.So that is what I need to do to hit that Pitch. For example the high pitch of the calf call is the letter E or if you say the Word KNEE. Try that and see what happens. If the sound is too sharp , flatten your tongue a bit. you might also have to drop your jaw slightly. If the sound is too flat press a little harder with your tongue put a little more flex in your tongue. Just like you would flex a bicep.You might have to add air pressure also. Hope this helps ---> Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Don't get hung up on any one call just because you can't master it one way doesn't mean there might be another way to do it.

Example: I was talking to former world champion caller Dieter Kaboth and he said there was no way he could ever do a true lip bawl. Instead of the lip flutter, he just added voice inflection. It was good enough to win a world championship. Guess there's more ways than one to skin a cat.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trophyhill » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 11]

ABQ_Chica wrote:Thanks, John. This is helpful for a newbie, and narrows down the range of sounds to start with. So far, only my cow/calf calls consistently sound very realistic with a mouth call. My bull calls, on the other hand, go something like this:

Stepped-on puppy --> Rusty door hinge --> Worn-out brake pads --> Ice-cube-down-the-shirt shrieks

In all fairness to Elknut, I was probably over-reaching by trying to practice every single call in the Playbook---and mastering none. I'll spend more time focusing on the handful of bull calls mentioned in this list and go from there. Thanks!

That's too funny Laura. I make some of the same sounds :)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Glacier Country » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 12]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Don't get hung up on any one call just because you can't master it one way doesn't mean there might be another way to do it.

Example: I was talking to former world champion caller Dieter Kaboth and he said there was no way he could ever do a true lip bawl. Instead of the lip flutter, he just added voice inflection. It was good enough to win a world championship. Guess there's more ways than one to skin a cat.

AMEN to that. I totally agree. If you can't get it one way try another angle.When I was first starting out Dieter Kaboth helped me with my cow and calf sounds.
I probably learned more about how to do cow and calf sounds from Dieter, in the 20 minutes he helped me ,than from any other single person.He gave some great tips, and advice, and I just practiced my calls a lot to perfect them. The next year I called against him and tied with Dieter for 2nd place at a contest in Missoula MT. Dan Whitmus could not be there so they said I could compete with the Pro's if I wanted to. Thanks WW for mentioning Dieter, he is a great guy who helped me out and you brought back some really great memories for me. So pay attention boys... WW brings up a GREAT Point there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor