Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Far?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Far?

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I know that terrain makes a huge difference, but about how far from your camp or truck will you place a tree stand for elk?

Most of the time I hunt alone and place my stand downhill from a road so one mile is a push. With a downhill trail pack, I could handle two miles on my own.

I read about hunters going in a lot farther, but I have no horse or trail machine. For me it is dos pies (Spanish for two feet) all the way.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Far?

Postby 7mmfan » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 2]

If I had the right spot, I'd pack one in a few miles. 3 or 4 I suppose. I'm ok walking that far into a spot daily. I don't think I'd be bringing one into a spike camp with me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

a tree stand? I would leave that sucker at home so I could have fun hunting elk! :o
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I’m taking mine this year! 8-)

Mine will be in around a mile…road on top and bottom and about a mile either way. Some steep country I’ve been hiking the last few years and I’m ready to let them come to me. I do have a horse for a pack out if need be
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 14, 2023 •  [Post 5]

After sitting the stand almost all last season this has been a main thought for me. I want to be in that stand as fast as I can. The terrain I’m in is steep and so either the hike in or the hike out is brutal depending on what stand I’m in. I have decided 20 ish minutes is all that I want to go to be in the stand and ready. Early season is long hours. Late nights and early mornings so I don’t want to spend precious time hiking if it’s not necessary.

This is ideal situations. Obviously if it is a top notch spot I’m going to hike a little further
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2023 •  [Post 6]

When I was in my 40s and 50s I used 20 minutes in or out as my limit. That may not seem like much until you are packing out an elk alone. A twenty minute hike empty is a lot longer with full pack and you have to make several trips in and out. On a steep hillside that can be brutal. I don't hunt 20 minutes from my vehicle now.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I just looked on the maps and my closest stand location I will (or our group) use this next year is 355 yards from a 4 wheeler trail. The farthest is just under 700 yards… one location that I found last year that i really like is 650 or so. The problem with it is the pack out will not be favorable at all. I my just put a trail camera there this year and see what kind of traffic it gets
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Elkhunttoo wrote:my closest stand location I will (or our group) use this next year is 355 yards from a 4 wheeler trail. The farthest is just under 700 yards…

That seems about right for me. Almost all of my packs are uphill, and some are steep.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 9]

Mine can all go down hill but the last one I was talking about. It will be uphill.

Packing meat uphill is definitely brutal. The tree stand my brother in law shot the 6 point out of last year you can go up or down…down is the way we went last year and we unless the bull runs uphill (which I don’t see happening) we will always go down hill on that spot
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 10]

I am still dumb enough to say 3 miles one way same elevation. I think there is going to be a pack out that sucks so bad I will modify my distance. But for now that has to happen first. I guess I need to learn moderation the hard way.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 05 15, 2023 •  [Post 11]

Jhg, you will figure it out in time. I have killed elk from my tree stand where I could easily hear vehicles driving by about 200 yards away. I could hear kids playing, dogs barking and nuisances shooting their guns. The craziest thing I have heard from my stand was a peacock squawking in a nearby camp. I do believe elk will hide out in dense areas, but they move around too.
Swede