Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stanley Cup Beard / Elk Hunting Beard

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stanley Cup Beard / Elk Hunting Beard

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 05 17, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I love the NHL tradition that the players don't shave until they get eliminated or they put their hands on Lord Stanley's Cup. By the time the playoffs are over, some of them look like they just came out of a cave with Og and Grog. The second tradition is that they don't touch the Cup until they actually earn it for themselves. It isn't even the same feeling when they win an Olympic Gold Medal or a NCAA Championship, there is something different and something special about the Cup. Kids grow up dreaming of that one moment when all the hard work finally reaches the pinnacle. I had the chance to see the Stanley Cup a few years ago, but I didn't touch it, because I didn't win it.
To me, elk hunting (chasing the Great Wapiti) is my Stanley Cup. Every year I grow out my elk hunting beard. I usually stop shaving in July and vow to not shave unless and until, I shave with my bloody knife. I've also convinced my wife it helps with camouflage. To be honest, most years I end up shaving with a razor but as my beard grows in early fall, I feel more like I am preparing to go into battle for the greatest trophy of them all (IMO). The trophy I have been preparing for my whole life. The ultimate competition. I still enjoy harvesting a whitetail deer, chasing waterfowl, etc, but those aren't my Stanley Cup. This year I'm thinking about giving up shaving in June!
I'm sure you all have rituals that get you ready for elk hunting. Even though it might not make sense to most, it makes total sense to you! Let's hear them!!
Attachments
20210905_165155.jpg
20210905_165155.jpg (135.52 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
20181010_071418.jpg
20181010_071418.jpg (123.33 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
20200215_141012.jpg
20200215_141012.jpg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Thegreatwapiti

Re: Stanley Cup Beard / Elk Hunting Beard

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 17, 2022 •  [Post 2]

If I DIDN'T shave my wife wouldn't touch my Stanley cup. Lol :lol:
Hope you get to shave with a bloody knife this year.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 05 19, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Is that a planter? I bet my wife would like to plant some flowers in whatever that goofy looking thing is! :shock:

Uh, what happens if you don't get an elk and the season ends?
Tigger

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 23, 2022 •  [Post 4]

The Colorado Avalanche are about to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup. I have officially stopped shaving until I shoot an elk! My wife is none too happy!
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Lefty » 06 23, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I can't grow a beard.
Hair just keeps sprouting out my head, It has turned color, from blond to silver, ok, gray
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 06 24, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I have had a beard for 30+ years. It does cut that big white oval that the elk pick up on
saddlesore

Postby Pop-r » 06 24, 2022 •  [Post 7]

A spitoon. Hockey sucks!
Pop-r

Postby Lefty » 06 24, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Pop-r wrote:A spitoon. Hockey sucks!
As a born and raised Minnesotan( ie. hockey player)
Do you know how many forum rules you just broke making that statement :o
I am so tempted to go in an make editorial changes , and make a few corrections to your post !

10 Reasons Hockey Is the Greatest Sport on Earth
February 23, 2022 by THW Archives
If you’re reading this, you’re probably already aware that hockey is the undisputed best sport on the planet. But if you really need some extra convincing, here’s a list of ten things (in no particular order) that make hockey the greatest sport on Earth:

1. It’s Played on a Giant Sheet of Ice
Football, basketball, baseball – what do they all have in common? They’re played soft dirt not a slippery sheet of ice. The athletes that play those sportswear shoes, not sharp blades of steel on the bottoms of their feetI’m just saying they’re not as talented as hockey players.

2. The Players Have the Ability to Control the Game
In other major sports, the majority of games are usually decided by the referees or umpires. In hockey, it is to a certain extent, but the players definitely have the ability to control the game on a different level. They can speed it up, slow it down, or shake things up with big hits or fights. In this sport, the athletes truly have control of the game, which makes it much more entertaining to watch.
3. Hockey Is a Team Spor it impossible for a team to win unless they play together. Everybody needs to be on the same page if things are to work in this sport and that makes it all the better. After all, there’s no “I” in “hockey.”
4. The Speed
No other sport even comes close to hockey in terms of speed. Everything about this sport is fast-paced: the slap shots, the game pace, the players
5. The Insane Playoff FormaYou can argue every other point on this list, (except six; that’s a fact, too) but you can’t argue that the NHL playoffs are, without a doubt, the most grueling of all the major sports
6. Hockey Players Are WarriorsThere’s no doubt about it, hockey players are the toughest athletes out there. They get blasted in the face with a puck and keep playing. They break bones on the ice but finish the shift. There’s just nothing that stops them. Rich Peverley literally died for a few seconds on the ice and after being revived, asked to be put back into the game. Classic hockey player.
7. The Lingo
This hockey jargon makes things a bit complicated at times, but it also adds to the greatness of the sport.
8. Goal CelebrationsIn most sports, scoring requires some sort of celebration. However, in hockey, scoring means a celly is coming and that is much more than your average celebration. That’s an all-out-spin-in-circles-flail-around celebration of awesomeness and the goal that was just put in the net. Not every goal requires a celly, but when they happen, it’s definitely worth watching.
9. The Traditions and Superstitions
From playoff beards to pre-game rituals, hockey is a sport bursting with traditions and superstitions. Other sports have their customs, but none come close to hockey. These men grow facial hair for good luck or insist on eating the same exact meal before every game.
10. Hockey Players Are Nice Guy]
sThis may be a generalization, but hockey players seem to be the nicest of the professional athletes. They may act tough on the ice, but they’re giant teddy bears off the ice.
It’s common to hear of players from across the league performing little acts of kindness. Last year a group of Boston Bruins players dressed up as characters from Disney’s Frozen and visited the Boston Children’s Hospital. Former Colorado Avalanche Matt Duchene purchased a jersey for an 11-year-old girl who was bullied at school. Charlie Coyle, formerly of the Minnesota Wild, made a young boy’s day just by waving at him during warmups.
Both on and off the ice, hockey players make this sport the greatest of them all. If you didn’t believe it before, you should now: Hockey is the greatest sport on earth.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 24, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Can I get an AMEN?
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Pop-r » 06 26, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Sorry for breaking any rules but I wouldn't take the time to read ANYTHING on hockey. What a terrible sport! Glad the south didn't ever care anything about it!
Pop-r

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 26, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Quick.....turn on Nascar....they're about to turn left.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Pop-r » 06 26, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Agree it's probably about as dumb.
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 06 26, 2022 •  [Post 13]

This thread is not only dumb to the max.; it has nothing to do with elk hunting or for that matter any other hunting. I just can't make up my mind if it needs to be deleted or moved. :o
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics