Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sleeping bag

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sleeping bag

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 01 13, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I’m looking to buy a sleeping bag for my archery elk hunt September 4th-10th in northern Colorado. The elevation will be around 9,500ft. Any input?
Ponyboy_jonas

Re: Sleeping bag

Postby Tigger » 01 13, 2022 •  [Post 2]

If you have a truck camp, then I like going with a rectangular bag. I sleep better than a mummy style. I would tend to buy a warmer bag 0 to 15 degrees and then bring a blanket. It could be hot, then ditch the bag and use the blanket. If, however, it dips into the 30s, you will be nice and toasty in that warmer bag. I find it easier to go that route than try and make a 30 degree bag warmer.
Tigger

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 01 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:If you have a truck camp, then I like going with a rectangular bag. I sleep better than a mummy style. I would tend to buy a warmer bag 0 to 15 degrees and then bring a blanket. It could be hot, then ditch the bag and use the blanket. If, however, it dips into the 30s, you will be nice and toasty in that warmer bag. I find it easier to go that route than try and make a 30 degree bag warmer.

Thanks for the info! I should have specified a little more. I plan on backpacking in about 5 miles. So I’m in search of a sleeping bag that doesn’t take up a lot of space.
Ponyboy_jonas

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Tigger wrote:If you have a truck camp, then I like going with a rectangular bag. I sleep better than a mummy style. I would tend to buy a warmer bag 0 to 15 degrees and then bring a blanket. It could be hot, then ditch the bag and use the blanket. If, however, it dips into the 30s, you will be nice and toasty in that warmer bag. I find it easier to go that route than try and make a 30 degree bag warmer.

As a former 25 year scoutmaster in Washington, Utah and Idaho that is some excellent info.
Ive slept as many as 80 nights in the backcountry/wilderness and scout camps in a year. and most was September - April
My summer backpacking bag is a O degree bag,, that can unzip from the bottom
https://shop.gohunt.com/products/klymit-ksb-0-down-sleeping-bag?variant=39686214320322&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpshopify_US_6644105609410_39686214320322&sc_intid=shopify_US_6644105609410_39686214320322&campaignid=15754833315&adgroupid=131805910076&adid=572515988109&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuP-OBhDqARIsAD4XHpfhfufuiqqEzfQo3XAaObnC7uJ0AeywyI731xaDFQ7HD4yOuMaChvwaAt61EALw_wcB

My other bag is no longer made and was -5 rated Big Johnson.
https://orccgear.com/Black_Pine_Big_Johnson_Plus_20_Sleeping_Bag

One thing to consider is a couples bag, Adam and Eve bag, or zip together bags

We did purchase Browning 10 degree rated bags rectangular bags for our daughters .

A sleeping pad is more important than most expect.

I prefer a closed cell foam full length and extra width ( still something like 12-14 oz. ) pad. You know exactly what you have. I do have some self inflating pads that I like ,, but I would never risk a night in the back country with a self inflating pad, insulated or not $40. $60.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-closed-cell-sleeping-pad?a=2187356
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/alps-mountaineering-foldable-foam-mat?a=2200694
All the hardcore thru hikers I know and met used the closed cell foam .
I have a roll style closed cell pad . However for my scouts I use to suggest the cheap Walmart closed cell pad .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:,,,,,, buy a warmer bag 0 to 15 degrees and then bring a blanket. It could be hot, then ditch the bag and use the blanket. ,,,,,,
Sleep on the bag and when you get cold , wrap up in the bag and blanket :D
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 14, 2022 •  [Post 6]

You might take a look at Big Agnes bags and an insulated inflatable pad.
>>>---WW---->

Postby 7mmfan » 01 14, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I upgraded to an ultralight backpacking setup 2 years ago. I thought long and hard about my bag and pad specifically. I do not sleep great on just a close cell foam pad, I've tried it, so I opted for an insulated inflatable. I settled on the a Big Agnes Q-Core. I've slept a total of about 30 nights on it now, with no issues.

The bag was the hardest decision. I liked the packability and weight of down, but the resilience of synthetic fill was appealing. I have a good tent setup but I know how weather can set it and down bags can become worthless. Despite this, I settled on a hydrophobic down bag and so far it's been great. I've slept about 10 nights in it, from above freezing to well below with snow and wind in a floorless shelter. I got an REI Magma 15 and I put a Sea to Summit Reactor sleeping bag liner in it which adds a few degrees of insulation but really just helps keep the bag clean.

One thing I noted, even with the insulated pad and good bag, when it got really cold one night, low teens, I could tell my back was cold. The air mattress did what air mattresses do and the air inside it got cold. I've considered adding a small section of closed cell foam to my sleep setup for those kinds of nights to try and help insulate my bag better. It seems to be a common setup for extreme winter snow campers.

All said and done I think my current sleep system comes in at about 3.5# and takes up very little room in my pack.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2022 •  [Post 8]

There is nothing more than personal experience in my recommendation. I would get a bag rated 30* colder that the coldest night I plan to be out. If it gets cold ditch the cot and get close to the ground and have insulation under you. The lighter the bag the more it costs. If you are not backpacking a long distance every day, save some money and go for a little heavier bag. There are some good bags out there. The synthetic bags that are not a mummy bag or a rectangular are very appealing to me. If it is important to impress your over-equipped buddies, then get an 850 down filled Kuiu bag for over $700.00.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2022 •  [Post 9]

7mmfan wrote:One thing I noted, even with the insulated pad and good bag, when it got really cold one night, low teens, I could tell my back was cold. The air mattress did what air mattresses do and the air inside it got cold.

If you roll aground the integrated pad may be a life saver.

One thing to help out a closed cell pad and to help put with comfort is a layer of natural insulation. If your talking a few days

I kept 12 year old scouts warm when temps were -10 ( I didnt sleep well ,, expecting some mothers need to kill me if their son died) Thy slept in a pickup pile of old grass hay
Ive used old stump punk wood , Wood chips, tree boughs, grass to help ad comfort and warmth. If your packing in or can prep the location before the hunt

If your willing to use a heavier pad , by all means use an insulated self inflating pad
We own and use the below with a mattress topper and R11 foam underneath But you wont be packing it in.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-outfitter-xl-sleeping-pad
Cabelas had a 3.5 Pad 36x80 that was incredible but no longer available
Last yea rmy daughter and I bought the new 3.5 pad, insulated self inflating but that isnt available either

Thicker seems to always add comfort,
R value is important for the Mountians
and dont trust the R value placed on self inflating pad.
Maybe your would like a hammock ( I dont) but try it out before you go
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:There is nothing more than personal experience in my recommendation. I would get a bag rated 30* colder that the coldest night I plan to be out. If it gets cold ditch the cot and get close to the ground and have insulation under you. The lighter the bag the more it costs. If you are not backpacking a long distance every day, save some money and go for a little heavier bag. There are some good bags out there. The synthetic bags that are not a mummy bag or a rectangular are very appealing to me. If it is important to impress your over-equipped buddies, then get an 850 down filled Kuiu bag for over $700.00.

Some added good info

I use to be like Swede. Make do at bargain prices and fair value when I was younger that was fine

If you have the money get the best
A friend is a hard core mountaineer or was. He has a wall full of https://www.moosejaw.com/search/western-mountaineering?ad_id=Google&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-Western%2BMountaineering|Western%2BMountaineering-_-google|51886393|1281754303|172452207263|kwd-26077127820|c|9029402|&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000158532-_-172452207263&kcid=_kenshoo_clickid_&utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_campaign=Western%2BMountaineering&utm_term=western%2Bmountain%2Bsleeping%2Bbag_Exact&gclid=CjwKCAiA_omPBhBBEiwAcg7smfZjH0-TX0gFDejAk35M_V6D3iT-vDOF3e72pkvcTZdLybEnhTjSgRoCUJEQAvD_BwE A bag for any occasion, 21 days winter hiking Denali, Another for Kilimanjaro or something for Kings peak, the long way in .
Lefty

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:If you have the money get the best

The 850 fill Kuiu bag is no better than some $200 bags. The 850 fill down mummy bag is just a whole lot lighter. I have a -30* bag that has lasted over ten years and is still in great shape. It cost me less than $100 on sale. They had used it as a display and lost the carry bag. It is large, rectangular and weighs over ten pounds. I spend over a month every year in mine and wash it in a large commercial machine. There is at least $600 difference between the cost of my large comfortable bag and the equivalent temperature rated down Kuiu mummy bag. If I was going backpacking long distances and/or real often, then the extra cost and loss of comfort would be worth it. Since I just take it out of the truck and set it on my cot in the large A-wall tent I am free to use that money in other places. Unless you are backpacking deep into Patagonia or the equivalent; save your money.
Swede

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I do not purchase junk. Personally, I prefer to have fewer items than any junk that I cannot rely on. I am careful with my spending and will go to Good Will and get quality items for cents on the dollar in order to save and make my hunts more affordable. A used cast iron skillet is usually as good as a new one. Ditto on the coffee mugs and coffee pot. Etc., etc. Some clothing items are like new and of quality material. I can get Marino wool items for 10% of their new cost.
What bugs me about the always spend big attitude is that it prices most working people and families, who do not live in elk country, out of the game. It is great if you can have breakfast in your home then go out hunting for the day. You get a license that costs 10% of what it costs an out of state hunter. When things go wrong, you just drive home in the afternoon and move on. I hate to see elk hunting becoming more and more of a rich person's pursuit. It does not stop there either. I need to toot the right bugle and exercise the right diaphragm to be a elk hunter. This is all nonsense.
Out of state hunters are not wanted by most in state hunters. Mony or most in state hunters want it all to themselves even though the land is federally owned. The state game department needs the out of state money to fund their people and programs, so to appease the in-state hunters and fund themselves, they charge you big time. I pay $32.00 total for both my combination hunting/fishing license and my elk tag here in Oregon. Out of state hunter you get to pay $760 for just the hunting license and elk tag. Why the difference? I have an effective lobby pulling for me, and I get to vote here. You have squat going for you. Of course, it is fair. It favors me! :(
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 16, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Not too far off track

Swede wrote:hunting becoming more and more of a rich person's pursuit. (

Nearly every activity cost money or has an expense involved with trade offs

We're the ones that chose to make our sport or activity cost as much or as cheap as we want.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 28, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Some other info to consider

https://www.backpacker.com/gear-reviews/the-9-best-sleeping-bags-of-2019/

https://www.backpacker.com/gear-reviews/the-best-3-season-sleeping-bags-of-2021/

A buddy bouth out a threesome of people all top end used gear, packs bags tents cooking .
On Craiglist for a small fraction of cost
Lefty