Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Incredible or memorable shots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Incredible or memorable shots

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Ive had a few.
And my memory fades so does the shooting.
As a teenager I was shooting a lot. Mostly .22 and using the new CCI Stinger shells . A group of buddies mentioned we needed to go ice chunk hunting,,, basically you shoot any junk, except propane tanks floating down the river. Our shooting location was a gravel pit full of litter. I had never shot with these guys. I brought a .22. They all brought shotguns. :lol:
Beer bottles were lined up on the bank. I was leaning over the hood of my Bronco. Simple instructions ;shoot from left to right, "the command" was given. I had 9 dead bottles before they shot. I would shoot , get on them next bottle, shoot again, as they tried to get on bottles I was one ahead of them. . I didnt understand "their shooting rules or their game. Most of them I didnt shoot with until 7-8 years later. I spoiled the party :roll:

A buddy and I were fox hunting as this fox came in from 1200 yards. I told my partner I would shoot the fox in the left eye... a moment later 75 yards I pulled the trigger and the fox went down. Tim ran out and grabbed the fox, looked at it. I yelled" I meant its right eye".

A few stops later I did it again,.. Only I said "same eyeball".

Ive killed a lot of intentional triples and a dozen or so foursomes on geese. But a memorable shot, pulled the trigger on a goose 35 yards out, and way out there. 121 yards another goose dropped stone dead.

A fun shoot was a flock of widgeon as they rocketed in,.. I pulled a sweet triple on drakes over the goose decoys.

My daughters archery moose and hunt all came together in just a matter of a minute. I've shared that story. She stepped out from beside a fir tree, her shadow crossed on the tree just yards from the moose. The moose stopped. looked at the shadow, at 18 yards she released the arrow,.. Seeing the whole thing was incredible
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Incredible or memorable shots

Postby Tigger » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 2]

walking back to the truck on a field road pheasant hunting. hunt was pretty much over we thought, gun was on a sling until we hit one final little patch of grass. way before the grass a rooster explodes and catches the gale force winds. led him by 12 feet!

most beautiful evening weather ever. ran after a buck antelope. topped the ridge and there he was at 362 yards. got the bipods down, took my time, and augered him. just a really fun shooting experience.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 3]

My very first kill, when I was 13 was a mule deer buck. Shot him on the run at a little over 100 yards. pole axed him, head over heels. Haven't shot an animal on the run since then.

My most automatic, instinctual shots are all bird hunting. A lot of those blend together but the day I killed 3 roosters with 3 shots is memorable. I remember stoning a duck with my 20 ga at what had to be 45+ yards. Standing in the middle of the decoys as he came in solo and flared away. Dumped him.

My most memorable shot of all times though, and one I likely will never match was a merganser I shot in the head with a 22, on the wing, at well over 100 yards. It was obviously pure luck, but it happened, and it was amazing!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 4]

My dads proud moment , we were making deer drives in northern MN. and met the family that bought part of our uncles farm.
The other family ,two brothers and their wives. My dad and us three sons. The one fellow was telling my dad the deer meat needed to be split differently.

My dad made the comment " My boys can shootas good as any of you."
A snowshoot rabbit busted in front of my brother 100 yards, he swung his .308 at the crossing rabbit , pulled the trigger and the rabbit rolled.
Picking up the rabbit, my brother looked at the hole through the rabbits head . and kept walking, like he did it every day.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I have made some tough shots and missed some easier ones. The oddest shot I know of was made by my brother. There was a high soaring buzzard off a good distance. He said
"watch this" and pulled up his 7mm with iron sights. The shot immediately dropped the bird out of the sky, as he walked off acting like it was no big deal. He had no idea he would hit the buzzard. He was just bored.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 04, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I made some ok shots I guess, but unfortunately my most memorable are the ones I missed. I think of them way more often then I think of the ones that connected.

Thinking about it the best shot I ever made was about 20 years ago. I was dating a girl that had never really hunted before. Archery season and we are hiking through the hills on her first elk hunt. We jumped a grouse but it didn’t fly very far at all. Steep hill and a little over 30 yards. As I came to full draw it ran a little to my left, I side stepped a little and could hardly see any of the bird. Right as I’m getting ready to release I hear her say “no way” that was all the boost I needed. That night she ate her first grouse
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Elkhunttoo wrote: unfortunately my most memorable are the ones I missed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

s the most memorable are misses,.. Bucket loads of those :lol:
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 05 06, 2021 •  [Post 8]

If we're talking about misses, then yeah, likewise, I have piles of those to talk about! I need a lot more time though.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 06, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I'm not the greatest shot, but I have several that come to mind.

I shot a little fork horn muley for meat when I was a poor college student. 520 yards, with the old M70. It took 10 minutes to verify he actually had horns through my 3x9 Burris. My 8x binoculars didn't have good enough glass to tell me anything. There was some major Kentucky windage on that shot, but I drilled him.

Then there was a sharpie I downed with a 20 gauge last fall. Hard crossing shot somewhere out past 35-40 yards. All I know for sure is I'd been missing a lot of birds, and finally swung through the shot properly. I pulled the trigger with a 6-7' lead and it folded.

It wasn't incredible by any good archers standards, but I have a slow motion memory of the arrow spinning all 27 yards from my longbow to the bull in my avatar.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 05 06, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I'm not the greatest shot, but I have several that come to mind.

I shot a little fork horn muley for meat when I was a poor college student. 520 yards, with the old M70. It took 10 minutes to verify he actually had horns through my 3x9 Burris. My 8x binoculars didn't have good enough glass to tell me anything. There was some major Kentucky windage on that shot, but I drilled him.

Then there was a sharpie I downed with a 20 gauge last fall. Hard crossing shot somewhere out past 35-40 yards. All I know for sure is I'd been missing a lot of birds, and finally swung through the shot properly. I pulled the trigger with a 6-7' lead and it folded.

It wasn't incredible by any good archers standards, but I have a slow motion memory of the arrow spinning all 27 yards from my longbow to the bull in my avatar.

I have several slow motion memories of my arrows flying towards animals, but virtually all them continued on their path well over the animals back and into oblivion.

The one that connected oddly enough was the first shot I ever took at an animal with my bow, at age 15. Dad and I were hunting blacktail on an island in a river. He had actually shot it earlier in the morning, a bit far back, and we tracked it. We jumped it out of a thicket and he swam the river but got stuck on a vertical clay bank with a logjam downriver of him. Dad got upriver of him and he had no where to go. He stopped moving for a moment and gave me a clear broadside shot that estimated at 45 yards, and sent it. Punched him through the heart. That was the apex of my bow hunting career.
7mmfan