Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Door Knocking

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Door Knocking

Postby wawhitey » 03 29, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Anybody do much door knocking asking strangers for access? Ive been greenlighted several times to hunt predators, always with the clarification that permission is for predator hunting only. People seem pretty generous as that goes.
Found a spot i want to look at for bear, and theres an easement rd that cuts through a couple hundred yards of private to get to the huntable land on the other side. Not sure if its a public easement or not, and i dont want to cause trouble, so ill be door knocking on a strangers house tomorrow. Not something i feel too comfortable doing, but it generally works out well. As long as a guy isnt asking to hunt deer or elk anyway.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Door Knocking

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I have several times.
On one occasion I thought it was a long shot to get permission. The property was posted with "No Hunting" signs. The owner said it was posted so hunters would not be on his property before his wheat was harvested, but at that time the wheat had been removed. The deer could be a nuisance, but hunters could be worse in the standing grain. He welcomed my friend and me, and we took two bucks off the place opening morning. The largest buck had some bird shot in the meat.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 03 29, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I still remember when i was 11 or 12 going deer hunting with my dad down near dayton washington. We were driving along a county road on our way to wherever and spotted a couple big masher muleys fighting on a hill on some private land posted no hunting. I was trying to get my dad to go ask, afterall, what can they do, tell us no? Lets just try! He wouldnt do it. He said its posted, they wont let us. The next day driving by again 2 guys were dragging one of those bucks out, a big nontypical with several junk tines. We stopped to check it out and when i asked them the response was something like "oh we just knocked on their door and asked this morning and they said go ahead" :evil:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 30, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Ground wasn’t posted, but everyone said Charlie won’t let anyone hunt. Figured I had nothing to lose so I ask. Turns out Charlie was an avid rabbit hunter and didn’t want anyone gun hunting on the property.
I told him I was a bow hunter and would never carry a gun on his land.
I hunted that property for 15 years until I moved out of the area. Took my biggest WT buck back in there, a 184 6/8” 14 pt.
Ya got to ask. You never know.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 30, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I always ask my neighbors and in exchange, they are welcome to hunt my property as well. Most of the bigger ranchers are either outfitting or leased out to an outfitter. So asking them is pretty much useless. But you never know unless you ask!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2021 •  [Post 6]

A poor guy can get some great permissions.
I don't like knocking but have had 76 permissions in a year.
I got some great permissions. I may have told this one. But a goody.
Asked a rancher for goose hunting.
One pasture and lake if 11,000 acres, other side was 27,000. He didn't like either group of "rich guys" . Goose clubs on his property.
But there was a 7 acre island on the flow between the two clubs wanted me to hunt.
My own private goose island and it had a one man spider hole.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 04 07, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I've knocked on a door that had a "I shoot relatives that ask to hunt here" sign. Didn't get an answer, but thought what the heck maybe he just has a good sense of humor.
For those of you in sheep country, you will be surprised at the level of English and helpful big game info sheep herders will suddenly produce if you ask them about coyote hunting first.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 04 08, 2021 •  [Post 8]

ishy wrote:I've knocked on a door that had a "I shoot relatives that ask to hunt here" sign. Didn't get an answer, but thought what the heck maybe he just has a good sense of humor.
For those of you in sheep country, you will be surprised at the level of English and helpful big game info sheep herders will suddenly produce if you ask them about coyote hunting first.

Had a similar situation trapping once. We set on adjoining rod section for fox.
The next day we had two dead coyotes, and the rancher had 11 permissions lined up.

No hunting signs often were my best trapping permissions
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H