Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Welcome to New Sponsor, Author Todd Vandivert!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Welcome to New Sponsor, Author Todd Vandivert!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Really excited about introducing our newest advertising sponsor on WapitiTalk. Todd Vandivert is the author of OPERATION CODY, POACHING SPREE, TO PROTECT A PREDATOR, A FALCON'S TALE, LETHAL REMOVAL, and DEEP TROUBLE. Oh yeah, we have some good reading ahead of us campers; I was actually looking for some new outdoor books when I stumbled across Todd's writings on another hunting forum. He has agreed to join us here as a sponsor (and a member) so please, join me in welcoming Todd Vandivert, Author.... to our humble elk hunting campfire.

Banner and text link above.

Vandivert.jpg
Vandivert.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 7572 times

https://www.amazon.com/Todd-Vandivert/e/B082S42WSD
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Welcome to New Sponsor, Author Todd Vandivert!

Postby UCWarden » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Thanks. I appreciate the introduction.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Correct me if im wrong, but i do believe the author is actually the guy that invented the robo deer? Sure would be nice if the gamies would put some up around here to bust some idiots.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum Todd. I look forward to reading your perspective on hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

wawhitey wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but i do believe the author is actually the guy that invented the robo deer? Sure would be nice if the gamies would put some up around here to bust some idiots.

You are correct, I did design and build the first robotic deer in the world (as far as I know).
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum Todd. I look forward to reading your perspective on hunting.

Thanks Swede. I look forward to conversations with the other forum members.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby Tigger » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Welcome Todd! If you think Swede will be reading your posts, please type slowly and use small words so he can understand! :lol:

We like to have a little fun around here and tell some stories. We delve into tips and tactics, ethics and scenarios and gear to help DIY elk hunters up their game. Humor is always appreciated and we like poking fun at one anoth.....Swede. We all like poking fun at Swede! Looking forward to your perspective!
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Welcome to Wapiti Talk!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Welcome Todd! If you think Swede will be reading your posts, please type slowly and use small words so he can understand! :lol:

We like to have a little fun around here and tell some stories. We delve into tips and tactics, ethics and scenarios and gear to help DIY elk hunters up their game. Humor is always appreciated and we like poking fun at one anoth.....Swede. We all like poking fun at Swede! Looking forward to your perspective!

Swede and I will get along just great then, because I type with two fingers, and don't know too many big words.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Welcome to Wapiti Talk!

Thanks
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Welcome aboard!

Im looking forward to the Kindle versions to read during bear season!!

Im dont know how your books are written,.. but maybe could you give us a short teaser!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Todd Vandivert, and I am a retired WA Fish and Wildlife detective. I worked for WDFW for 34-years, starting on the Game Department side before the merger which made WDFW. I worked all but the last seven years in uniform (Forks, Dayton (blue Mountains), Anacortes/San Juan Islands. The last seven and a half years of my career, I worked nothing but undercover assignments for SIU (Statewide Investigative Unit).

Once I retired, in 2012, I opened my own polygraph business in Spokane, until moving to Thurston County a few years ago. In the meantime, I have written seven books. Six of the books are fiction, and are part of the WILDLIFE JUSTICE SERIES. The non-fiction book is titled OPERATION CODY, and is about a long-term undercover operation in WA, targeting unlawful trafficking in wildlife.

Both my wife and I have been married 42-years now, and spend the majority of our free time hunting, fishing, and camping.

I look forward to getting to know some of you, at least virtually (looking forward to not hearing the word virtual everyday).
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 13]

I have your first 2 books and intend to get the others. I have to say, reading operation cody will really piss a guy off. Seems you did a lot of good work that was wasted by the political b.s. games of the wdfw brass.
wawhitey

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:Welcome aboard!

Im looking forward to the Kindle versions to read during bear season!!

Im dont know how your books are written,.. but maybe could you give us a short teaser!

Lefty, I will do one better than that. Get on Amazon, and look up "Wildlife Justice Series" https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wildlife+justice+series&ref=nb_sb_noss_1, click on any of the books (make sure you are on the paperback version not Kindle). When the page for that particular book comes up, click on the photo of the front cover and it will let you read fourteen or so pages.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby UCWarden » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 15]

wawhitey wrote:I have your first 2 books and intend to get the others. I have to say, reading operation cody will really piss a guy off. Seems you did a lot of good work that was wasted by the political b.s. games of the wdfw brass.

I wrote OPERATION CODY for two reasons. The first was to enlighten game wardens from other jurisdictions about what very well might be happening in their states. Having read the book, you know we were absolutely astonished at the amount of illegal trafficking in elk meat in WA. Unbelievable to me. The second reason I wrote it was to bring to light what was happening in WDFW at the time, which is what most people found astonishing rather than the trafficking.

But keep in-mind a couple of things; It was still a great operation, in which we nabbed around 100 suspects across N. America, with over 1,000 criminal charges, and the administration of WDFW enforcement has all changed, and it is now (in my opinion) a much better agency to work for. I have not heard a single negative word about the current administration. A happy bunch of employees always makes for a more productive bunch of employees.

Being a game warden is one of the best jobs in the world, but it's largely what one makes out of it. Every good game warden knows the best tool they have, for catching poachers, are the members of the public and in particular other sportsmen. There are roughly 120 WDFW officers (I believe) trying to catch poachers, but there are potentially tens of thousands of people who have witnessed or heard of serious game violations, but have never said a word to anyone about it. Those are the most important people in a game warden's world, but it takes work. Many people won't call an office to report something, but if they know an officer to call, they will. If you are in an outdoor sporting club, invite the local game warden to come in. Game Wardens can't do the job without the public's help.

So, any questions an old broken down retired game warden can answer for you, fire away.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 16]

UC
One of the men I most respected was our local CO. He really was into the education side of things.
At one time in my early college years I was looking at becoming a CO At that time affirmative action prevented any Caucasians from taking the program at Vermillion. I eventfully visited a dark haired complexion German Irish decent that had gone through the program.
I knew my qualifications were better than his. He told me he "accidently" marked he was black, then laughed. Then stated he was never questioned what his ethnicity was. Mn had to eventually give up on Ethnicity as the first qualifier.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 17]

I worked a career in the Forest Service timber management. I sometimes ran into evidence of poaching. It was always after the fact when I would see crows take off along the road, or I would stumble onto something. I would stop and look at what the birds were picking over. Often it was a deer.
Some of the game wardens I ran into were really good guys and a joy to be around. Some were so cynical that I would just as soon they stayed out in the forest, or where ever they go looking for poachers. I liked game wardens that had a reputation for being strict and "would cite their mother" if they caught them poaching. That said to me the warden did not play favorites.
At the same time it seems the game wardens have little or no discretion on many things. E.g. "Your fish is one inch too short or too long, so you get a ticket." I was with my son fishing and he caught a salmon that had no business biting on his bait. When he turned it loose it immediately went belly up and stayed that way. He could not keep it, so it floated around and we went fishing for a different salmon.
I suspect the perspective of a retired game officer is totally different than any layman's.
Swede

Postby UCWarden » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:I worked a career in the Forest Service timber management. I sometimes ran into evidence of poaching. It was always after the fact when I would see crows take off along the road, or I would stumble onto something. I would stop and look at what the birds were picking over. Often it was a deer.
Some of the game wardens I ran into were really good guys and a joy to be around. Some were so cynical that I would just as soon they stayed out in the forest, or where ever they go looking for poachers. I liked game wardens that had a reputation for being strict and "would cite their mother" if they caught them poaching. That said to me the warden did not play favorites.
At the same time it seems the game wardens have little or no discretion on many things. E.g. "Your fish is one inch too short or too long, so you get a ticket." I was with my son fishing and he caught a salmon that had no business biting on his bait. When he turned it loose it immediately went belly up and stayed that way. He could not keep it, so it floated around and we went fishing for a different salmon.
I suspect the perspective of a retired game officer is totally different than any layman's.

Game wardens are just normal people with a very abnormal job. There are some great ones out there, and a couple I really don't care for, but in my opinion the vast majority are good people with good intentions. The one thing you said, that I would disagree on, is that game wardens have little or no discretion (in issuing citations vs. warnings). Game wardens have all the discretion in the world when it comes to making an arrest or not. Other than domestic violence or arrest warrants, which are mandatory arrest, the individual officers make the decision themselves on how to handle each and every violation they encounter. The decision to issue a citation or not will depend a lot on the circumstances, the "violator's" intent, the truthfulness of the violator etc., but another major factor is the officer him or herself. Some officers tend to issue citations more than warnings, while others are just the opposite.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby UCWarden » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Free Book. I recently sent a copy of my newest book (For Your Protection) to a friend named Dave. After waiting three weeks for the book to show up, I decided to send him a replacement book. Yesterday the first book I sent to Dave came back in the mail, so now I have one I can't really sell to anyone, since it has been endorsed to Dave. So if anyone, especially anyone named Dave, on here wants a free copy of FOR YOUR PROTECTION, reply on here (so others will know it's taken), then shoot me your name/address to my email ucwarden@gmail.com.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 20]

Ill be dave
wawhitey

Postby UCWarden » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:Ill be dave

It's yours.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 22]

I am sure you are right about the game warden discretion. The game wardens I dealt with on the job were generally very serious people. I would not say they were unreasonable and have never had a personal issue with one. I have determined to keep it that way.
It is rare one has come into my camp, but I remember one looking into everything including the cooking pot, and taking a nice long walk out behind the camp. I still believe he was looking for something in particular. I have no idea what it was as he never said. When the inspection was over, he complimented us on keeping a nice clean camp, and drove off.
It would be funny to have seen the five of us looking at each other, with a quizzical look on our faces, as we wondered just what happened. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 23]

:lol:
wawhitey wrote:Ill be dave
:lol:
Score,..
Someday Ill start reading more books,..

Maybe make it a Wapiti pass along book!
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 24]

Swede wrote:,,,,,,,, I still believe he was looking for something in particular. I have no idea what it was as he never said. When the inspection was over, he complimented us on keeping a nice clean camp, and drove off.
It would be funny to have seen the five of us looking at each other, with a quizzical look on our faces, as we wondered just what happened. :D

Ive had less than Steller interactions with weekend biologist, and border patrols.. Oh and those funky Yellowstone Park rangers. :lol:
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 03 15, 2021 •  [Post 25]

Swede wrote:I am sure you are right about the game warden discretion. The game wardens I dealt with on the job were generally very serious people. I would not say they were unreasonable and have never had a personal issue with one. I have determined to keep it that way.
It is rare one has come into my camp, but I remember one looking into everything including the cooking pot, and taking a nice long walk out behind the camp. I still believe he was looking for something in particular. I have no idea what it was as he never said. When the inspection was over, he complimented us on keeping a nice clean camp, and drove off.

Swede, that game warden was looking for your elk! He found it perplexing and inconceivable that his hero, the Great Treestand Hunter, hadn't shot an elk yet and was confused. Poor guy. :lol:
Tigger

Postby Old school » 03 15, 2021 •  [Post 26]

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to having another perspective around the camp fire. In my experiences I’ve met some great CO’s - one in Idaho comes to mind - great guy. I spoke with him on the phone before my sons and I went elk hunting. While we were out there we hooked up for dinner at the local diner/gas station on Friday night and compared notes where we were or were not seeing elk. I’ve only met a few that were real pieces of work with a chip on the shoulder. Thankfully they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old school

Postby UCWarden » 03 15, 2021 •  [Post 27]

Old school wrote:Welcome to the forum. I look forward to having another perspective around the camp fire. In my experiences I’ve met some great CO’s - one in Idaho comes to mind - great guy. I spoke with him on the phone before my sons and I went elk hunting. While we were out there we hooked up for dinner at the local diner/gas station on Friday night and compared notes where we were or were not seeing elk. I’ve only met a few that were real pieces of work with a chip on the shoulder. Thankfully they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to getting involved in some group discussions. Thanks again.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 03 15, 2021 •  [Post 28]

UCWarden wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to getting involved in some group discussions. Thanks again.

I want to hear some stories 8-)
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2021 •  [Post 29]

Had these waiting for me when I got home. Sweet!

2249EA27-8C87-49AF-A6ED-E3E5E2F0943A.jpeg
2249EA27-8C87-49AF-A6ED-E3E5E2F0943A.jpeg (120.24 KiB) Viewed 7414 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 03 17, 2021 •  [Post 30]

Wow, that was quick!

Yours truly,
Dave
Attachments
20210317_182557_copy_800x450.jpg
20210317_182557_copy_800x450.jpg (136.36 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
wawhitey

Postby UCWarden » 03 18, 2021 •  [Post 31]

wawhitey wrote:Wow, that was quick!

Yours truly,
Dave

Hope you enjoy it.
UCWarden
Site Sponsor