Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Skull Hacker

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Skull Hacker

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 1]

In my on-going search to find the best bull skull capper, I’ve got one of these on the way. Oh yeah, I’ve dabbled in them all. The best top knot remover has got to be effective (sharp, good on bone with goo mixed in as well as serve a secondary role to saw up small chunks of wood for the Lite Outdoors tipi stove) and as light as possible (particularly as I get a bit longer in the tooth). The best I’ve found so far is the old standard, Wyoming Saw but it’s a bit heavy. Yep, I’ve tried a handful of the folding saws (insert brand here) but my buddy and I have broke them all on hard elk skulls. I’ll let you know how the Dandy Saw works out this fall on elk/deer. More to follow......

[url]https://www.robertsonenterprises.net/store/p16/12%22_MINI_DANDY®.html[/url]
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Skull Hacker

Postby wawhitey » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Ive used a lot of different folding saws for wood, not bone, but the only ones that last for me are the wicked tree gear saws. Theyre quite well made. Maybe they make a bone saw, worth looking into. Seems ive broke every other brand of folder out there, with minimal use. Really id say theyre right up there with headlamps on things ive tried every junk brand of.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:Ive used a lot of different folding saws for wood, not bone, but the only ones that last for me are the wicked tree gear saws. Theyre quite well made. Maybe they make a bone saw, worth looking into. Seems ive broke every other brand of folder out there, with minimal use.

Agree! I’ve went thru a good three (ya, I’m a slow learner) of the supposedly top tier folding saws. They broke when they were called upon to do their duty. Only thing, so far, that didn’t break are those old school T handle saws and the WY saw. The SOG folder has been thru one bull and a few deer but it’s due to collapse I fear. Haven’t had one of the wicked saws in my hand yet..
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 4]

My suggestion would be a Silky Saw. Baco Laplander would be a second choice but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Silky.

Wy Saw is a good one. But it is too heavy and too many parts to loose while you are fumbling around trying to putting it together. Stay away from Gerber. The locking system on them is junk.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 11, 2021 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:My suggestion would be a Silky Saw. Baco Laplander would be a second choice but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Silky.

Wy Saw is a good one. But it is too heavy and too many parts to loose while you are fumbling around trying to putting it together. Stay away from Gerber. The locking system on them is junk.

Yes sir, the Gerber folder is one that literally broke into pieces on an elk one year.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I have had three folding saws. They all worked fine until I loaned them out. Blades get broken and pieces fall off and are lost. Gerber has two models of folding saw. One is cheap and the other is actually quite good
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

That Dandy looks just fine;;;

I used those 6-10 inch folding saws for cat trapping and light duty trail clearing.
Talking with a buddy in MN who is a furniture maker, I was complaining aout all of the problems with folding Saws. He handed me a Fiskars. Ive had it for 5 years,..Locks tight solid blade and sawblade steel that is sharp.

I think the last 6-7 skulls the small sawzall or the fuel
Demo blade
They're in the camper or kill kits

images (3).jpg
images (3).jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Ha, nice Dennis but I’m not packing that every day. Don’t tell Mrs Wapiti, but I think I’m in love again. This little critter is a beast (blade is crafted for both wood and bone)! Built rock solid, sharp as a politicians tongue, and at only a bit over 11 ounces, is much lighter than the WY saw. Ya, I think I’ve finally found my saw. It’s only taken 40 years.

7302E910-E993-4604-8607-529A74329EC1.jpeg
7302E910-E993-4604-8607-529A74329EC1.jpeg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 03 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

That's purdy. My main partner and I have been talking about saws. May have to look into this.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2021 •  [Post 10]

That is a very nice looking little saw. I have had some similar ones. One thing I would watch for is the screws/nuts may come off in use. That can be a bummer anytime, but especially when you are 20 feet up a tree.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 03 14, 2021 •  [Post 11]

cut anything with it yet? i have never really felt the need to pack a saw, but things are always changing, and i have been considering one lately
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 03 16, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I have the heavy duty folding Gerber saw and use it every year for something. I am always finding a new tree I want to sit in, and they all need the treatment. This past season we rigged three new trees and I think a saw was used in all of them.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 22, 2021 •  [Post 13]

I think a guy could make one of these saws fairly easily. Check out the videos at www.knifepointgear.com
>>>---WW---->

Postby snowbank » 03 24, 2021 •  [Post 14]

I have a Dandy saw that I keep on my horse. It's still sharp after more than 30 elk. I keep a short two sided fixed blade in my vest for skulls and fine cutting on the rib cage as well as brushing up carcasses. Both have been very durable for over 25 years.
snowbank

Postby Tigger » 03 25, 2021 •  [Post 15]

I like that Dandy saw. Looks fairly light.

I have some offbrand meat saw that breaks down and looks like a hack saw that I sometimes carry. I also have a Wyoming Saw, but that is too heavy to carry, so that stays back at camp for our second trip to the bull.
Tigger