Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Road kill

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Road kill

Postby Lefty » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 1]

My wife has been receiving updates on her phone, there had been a number of elk kills and accidents the past few days. The drive of I-15 from (Pocatello Idaho to Billings MT) is littered with road kill, Birds of prey, a litters of raccoon, Coyotes , foxpups. Most trips have fresh kills or deer elk or moose . On one trip last fall a 200 lb blackbear was on the side.

My youngest brother lived a way out of town and road kill filled his freezer. Once whie we were on the phone, he was describing a herd of deer leaping from a high bank and crossing the road.
"Aww,.. a doe just crashed and broke its neck"
"Ill call you back" He called the CO and had permission to kill the deer.

This evening I think Ill take a drive out there and look for the herd. Im surprised they are this low with so little snow.

Drivers cautioned as elk herd moves along Interstate 15 near Pocatello, Fort Hall

POCATELLO, Idaho (CBS2) — Drivers are being warned on Monday as a large elk herd revisits Interstate 15 between Pocatello and Fort Hall.
Idaho State Police says troopers have responded to multiple crashes involving elk crossing the interstate north of Pocatello. ISP says the herd has roughly 100 elk.
Troopers expect issues to continue and urge drivers to slow down and watch out for the herd.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Road kill

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I sure like the idea of salvaging the meat as much as you can. I know the scavengers need to eat too, but not along the freeway where they might easily be killed too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 03 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Washington changed it laws a couple years back allowing the salvage of roadkill. I don't live in an area where we frequently see wildlife, so it never really crossed my mind. However, during a bear hunting trip two falls ago, we happened upon a car on the side of the road spilling what was left in it's radiator out onto the highway, and a mature whitetail doe lay in the ditch. We checked on the folks that had hit it, they were fine and were in the process of calling a tow truck. We loaded the doe in the truck and headed to our camp. One hour after that deer was hit, it was broke apart and on ice cooling. We were able to salvage about 90% of the meat from that doe and it was delicious. I will definitely take advantage of this program in the future.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Noth'n better than road killed squashed possum. Um um! :roll:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:Washington changed it laws a couple years back allowing the salvage of roadkill. I don't live in an area where we frequently see wildlife, so it never really crossed my mind. However, during a bear hunting trip two falls ago, we happened upon a car on the side of the road spilling what was left in it's radiator out onto the highway, and a mature whitetail doe lay in the ditch. We checked on the folks that had hit it, they were fine and were in the process of calling a tow truck. We loaded the doe in the truck and headed to our camp. One hour after that deer was hit, it was broke apart and on ice cooling. We were able to salvage about 90% of the meat from that doe and it was delicious. I will definitely take advantage of this program in the future.

I have a 50mph winding road between my house and town. Dnr land on both sides, creek runs along the rd, you know how those roads are. If i ever run out of meat i could just dump a bag of sweet cob on the yellow line around one of those curves and wait a few hours. :D
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Just your luck, it would be the big buck you're after that would get t-boned.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Nah, i dont hunt deer around here. I hunt in ferry county. Better bucks up there because there is no late modern season.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey