Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Weird things happen in the woods/mountains!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Weird things happen in the woods/mountains!

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What have you seen or heard in the mountains or woods that you cannot explain? What is your best explanation? What weird experiences have you had that creeped you out? Other people?

My son and I were getting out of the truck to hunt turkeys in a woods that I have hunted for 40 years. It was still dark. Something started shrieking. My son looked at me with big eyes and asked what it was. I just shrugged and said "coyotes, kinda cool, eh?" It wasn't coyotes. I have no idea what it was to this day. Bobcat? Cougar? No clue.
Tigger

Re: Weird things happen in the woods/mountains!

Postby Lefty » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Theirs a ton of stuff.
I ran across a memorial as it was getting darks, had those solar lights, creepy
Airplane in the Great Salt Lake, sheriff knew it was their.
Bones inside clothing,, I didn't check any further, called the Highway patrol.
Smelly freezers dumped in the middle of the night near my elk camp.
Checking traps on a frozen lake,.. two guys started walking out towards me,.. gave me the real creeps. I started for my pickup,.. What was it? I kept thinking, hit them with the sharp side of the tile spade.
What was wrong with me having such thoughts? We met just off the edge of the road. they wanted to talk,..
I had nothing but the hebbie-jebbies, I gave them some excuse I had to go.
Next day, front page, big picture the one guy had raped and killed and 87 year old lady.

Pulling bear baits, some couple pulled their RV right beside my pickup,.. I couldn't even open my truck door. 8 -9 year old kid running around naked. Nice OHV, big RV. Wife is dressed nice. Both obviously high. Shes 15-20 years younger than me , and proposition's me. He just smiles.
Im sound asleep at camp in the trees.10-12 miles away, 11:00 someone drives into the trailhead. after a few minutes I realize its them. They are looking for me. I cover up my dog( shes deaf) put my boots on, leash the dog,.. They didnt see me.

I could see I had a red fox up ahead. The fox was watching something, I couldn't see. Ended up some native fellow doing some sort of ritual.

The guy parked in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't get around him, honk the horn and some girls head pops up

A lost cowboy crying

Saw a pine martin twice in Southern mn. I figured it hitched a ride a few hundred miles
Too many stolen and stripped vehicles in the Gifford-Pinchae NF
Walked in on some moose poachers,.. While watching what was going on A CO motioned me over.

Weird cool. Smoke from a forest fire had a very definitive line as a cold front moved in
This year weeee hours of the morning. the smoke in the sky and moon made this real incredible burgundy lights in the northern direction sky
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Holly on Big Butte.jpg
Heard.
Sasquatch The wildest scary sound ever. That sucker followed me every morning and night screaming at me. When it was dark enough where a spotlight would work it morphed into a coyote. :lol:
I really wish I had a recording, just incredibly different,.. nothing coyote about it. Sounded like a young man screaming

Seen coyotes playing with fox, seen fox playing with dogs, deer playing with cranes.
Not weird to me: Most years in the past Ive taken scouts to Downeta hot springs https://www.downatahotsprings.com/ in March The ducks cranes grebes geese are very noisy. Love the sounds

Had a Spike elk roar at me,.. just like an African lion roar
Always neat when some coyote challenge barks at the tent
Rescued some duck hunters who sank their boats. They knew where I hunted and waited for me,.. Really stupid on their part. They had over an hour of daylight to walk out and didnt,. and things got worse for them.

Kinda Cool
Dog and I topped out on Big Butte, so steep Holly told me thats as far as we go, sat down, took this pic Found a bunch of stone chips Sometime in the past someone else sat there and worked on arrow heads

Found a moose stuck in the mud,..
found 32 cows that fell through the ice
dead moose in the middle of an ATV trail
Dead coot that struck a powerline in the Deseret Release a couple antelope hind footed in fences,
deer stuck and dead in the snow,
deer stuck in canals
Seem to find these all over
2015-05-30 14-42-31.jpg
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I was told they were wind brakes, to catch blowing snow , to hold water in the spring lots of different kinds or walls -
2015-03-21 15-32-53.JPG

The gate,, to where?
IMG_0899.JPG

coot

IMG_5575.JPG
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I posted this years back when I found it. Looked on goodle and there it was.
The elk havent used it for years. Elk on a mineral lick in Craters of the Moon National Monument
elk trails image.JPG
elk trails image.JPG (213.09 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

Learn all sorts of stuff on Forums
Nowhere desert Idaho
What are they?
20160326_160716.jpg
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Years ago I was near the ghost town of Cornucopia Oregon. It was a ghost, but not dilapidated. The building were all still intact, and cables that took gold ore from a shaft a mile away still stretched across the canyon. Upstream was what I called the first flush toilet in Oregon. It was a open toilet that was at the end of a 20 foot walkway, that ended right over Pine Creek.

I also had a similar experience to Tigger's. I was returning to my pickup years ago, at the end of a day's hunt. It was getting near dark when I heard some crazy sounds, that I just could not identify. To this day I have no good answer for what it was.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Lefty you sure have found some interesting things! crazy! Any guess what those steel pyramid things are?
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:Lefty you sure have found some interesting things! crazy! Any guess what those steel pyramid things are?
That list really does get big.

I was told on another hunting forum what they are,.. Ill see if anyone can guess or knows

crazy no too old of an abandon beaver dam,, but no source of water I think the beave built a dam because of snow melt
IMG_5812-001.JPG

Always thought this was cool.
My father in law found a brand new dozer ,.. found out it had been stolen in Boise , $5,000 reward
2015-08-14 10-04-23.JPG
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Box elder county has some wierd stuff. The Thykol Rocket garden
Really neat mines in the Pilot Mts,.
The Golden Spike Monument

Then there is this crap that the Endowment for the Arts and out tax money is spent on,.. fun neat but, not worth the money
Even more neat than the jetty. Indian caves. The north arm of th eGSL I was out on it with an 8hop mph motor and a 14 deep V in 50 mph winds,.. The waves dont white cap the water is so heavy it rolls, The salt creates the most fainating sculptures on tumble weed or floating debri.
When my dog jumped out she ran to scoop up snow from a snow drift,.. it was a salt drift piled along the shore 3 feet high and extended for miles
The there are the old WWII missile silos very deep concrete the in the ground. I tried to find them on google on Black Mountain on Promontory

Box Elder County is the home of two world-famous land art pieces. The Spiral Jetty, built in 1970,
smi-spiraljetty-steinmetz.jpg

The Sun Tunnels, by Nancy Holt, are deliberately and strategically placed on the grounds of the ancient Lake Bonneville. The Sun Tunnels are a pleasant surprise in the middle of Western Box Elder County.

https://utah.com/wendover/sun-tunnels
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Lefty you sure have found some interesting things! crazy! Any guess what those steel pyramid things are?

The spacecraft flown by the original sasquatch inhabitants of planet earth. They ran out of space-gas because carbon bigfootprint something something. Theyve been stranded here ever since, their pyramid craft slowly rusting under a hostile alien sun. Superior technology lost, an advanced people deevolved to the level of primitive beasts. Such a loss. We could have larned so much from them. We werent ready.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 11]

wawhitey wrote:

The spacecraft flown by the original sasquatch inhabitants of planet earth. They ran out of space-gas because carbon bigfootprint something something. Theyve been stranded here ever since, their pyramid craft slowly rusting under a hostile alien sun. Superior technology lost, an advanced people deevolved to the level of primitive beasts. Such a loss. We could have larned so much from them. We werent ready.
:lol: :lol:

Thats classified info,..who leaked it!
Expect a visit soon

images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (5.5 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

While in Yellowstone there were some guys in a funky accessorized 450, stabilization pads, radar or something on top, custom bumpers winch, overhead running lights,.. guys dressed in black, walked like they had sticks up their butts.
My daughter walked over to pester them.
She asked what they were doing. " Nothing interesting" was their only response.
Im pretty sure they were try to figure out survey equipment.
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Quit making fun of me im totally serious. Bigfoots (bigfeet?) Came to planet earth in a space ship. A long time ago from a galaxy far away. Im pretty sure i watched a documentary or something on it once so im pretty much an expert.
Attachments
chewbacca-death-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-1578081563_copy_320x320.jpg
chewbacca-death-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-1578081563_copy_320x320.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:Quit making fun of me im totally serious. Bigfoots (bigfeet?) Came to planet earth in a space ship. A long time ago from a galaxy far away. Im pretty sure i watched a documentary or something on it once so im pretty much an expert.

Lots of bigfeet still around,.
2016-03-18 10-04-01.jpg

IMG_0625.JPG

fresh
2017-06-01 11-26-22.jpg
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 02 25, 2021 •  [Post 14]

I guess I'm not living right as I really haven't had anything weird or unexplained happen in the woods. I do apparently have a knack for going places that others figure no one will ever go as I've found a fair number of deep woods, wilderness even, shanty cabins. Some pretty creative engineering often goes into those things. One was stocked for what appeared to be the guys end of days shelter, and was definitely in a place not many would be willing to go.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 02 26, 2021 •  [Post 15]

7mmfan wrote:I guess I'm not living right as I really haven't had anything weird or unexplained happen in the woods. I do apparently have a knack for going places that others figure no one will ever go as I've found a fair number of deep woods, wilderness even, shanty cabins. Some pretty creative engineering often goes into those things. One was stocked for what appeared to be the guys end of days shelter, and was definitely in a place not many would be willing to go.

Sometimes you just need to identify it as weird stuff.
Other why is it there?,
why would someone leave it?. mining stuff really firs in that category. I walked back into some old mining areas off of Panther Creek / Salmon Idaho.
A fellow had just bought the claim foe $100. The rails, the carts, cribbing, hand tools, antiques, worth thousands, but it would take weeks with a twenty pack animals to get it out, It just doesn't have value when way back .
Those running from the law 100 or more years ago,.. the lazy unemployed,. existed 130 years ago.

Always liked this one, 49 yards from water

2017-04-15 17-48-11.jpg
Lefty