Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Headlamp Thread.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Headlamp Thread.....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Some people are boot junkies, some lean towards premium packs, top shelf hunting clothes; yes I’m susceptible to all of those. Latest and greatest, double dog guaranteed to increase your success by 43.5 % new model of big box brand bows? Nah, not so much for me....I love my Darton :-). Ok, I am however, always on a constant search for good headlamps. Just got a Silva Explorer 4 in the mail today. Whammo, I’m in love with this thing immediately! This will be my go to trail lamp going forward and my Zebra flood will continue to be my camp and close quarter (breaking down big critter) headlamp. I’m not a fan of rechargeable lamps so this one passes all my smell tests. I like this one so much, I may or may not get one for each of the stinky WT Mods (so they can round file their old Coast to Coast lamps)..;)

What do you cats use and how/why do you like them?

9A3616D2-DFD5-4A38-ACB1-90D645BE7E1A.png
9A3616D2-DFD5-4A38-ACB1-90D645BE7E1A.png (320.18 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: The Headlamp Thread.....

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I do not know. I do carry two because one can go out and leave you to walk out in the total dark using the brail system (not good), or you just stop and wait shivering in the dark until daylight. I say shivering in the dark, because it is peak fire season, but the temperatures drop to near freezing at night.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Actually I do have Coast brand lights and can see at least as far as my feet most of the time! Actually, I like them. Maybe I dont know better, but they seam to work. They chew batteries a little bit as when you first put the batteries in them, they are great, but then halfway through hauling your bull out of the steep alders they seem to be just okay (ask me how I know!). My buddy had one with the battery pack on the back of your head that really threw some light. Costco now sells Duracell brand ones. I wonder how they work?

Totally agreed, having a rechargeable makes no sense to someone hunting the backcountry.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I have a P-Tech light that has high output, low output, and red light. I really like it. In normal hunting scenarios with a basecamp, one set of triple a's will last a whole season. On spike camp hunts, They last about a week. I carry extra batteries with me, and I also have a small lightweight backup headlamp that lives in my pack as well.

My neighbor bought some fancy one with a big battery pack on it and was blinding the neighborhood last week. It cast a beam across the street on the greenbelt probably 50 yards from his house that you could count blades of grass with. It was pretty impressive. I bet it is heavy though...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I like those little lights from Cabelas that clip on the brim of your hat.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I have a cap light that I got from MalWart. It is good, for going out of the tent at night to pee. I also like it for butchering an elk in the dark.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I use headlamps all the time hunting, as we all do. And i also use them all the time at work. Its an absolute necessity for my job. So i pretty much have a headlamp or two with me every day of my life, in the woods or out at sea. Ive gone through about every damn kind you can think of, cheap to expensive. Hands down the best one ive ever had is the fenix HL50. they last forever, super lightweight and simple, good battery life and illumination. Theyre the cats ass. Ive bought several as ive lost a few, like to have 2 in the pack, one in my seabag, one in the truck, and i bought one for my dad too. Theyre now discontinued which im not happy about at all, as all of the new fenix stuff uses rechargables which is a big deal breaker for me. I just bought 2 more hl50's because theyre about gone. Had to buy them off ebay from somebody in canada. Last i looked yesterday he had one left is all. If anybody wants the best headlamp ever i suggest you hop on and grab it if it hasnt sold yet.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Still has the one left. Better grab it before i do. It takes either AA or CR123A batteries, whichever strikes your fancy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-HL50-LED ... SwxfheWZOK
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Those cheap Costco; 3 lamps for $18.00 Or the Ray o-Vac or Energizer $10-$18

I have a tendency to give them to people who don't have one, and need one, Most often young Boy scouts. or they don't get returned,.. Mostly my daughter, she goes out to feed her horses, they end up on her truck seat,,. they fall on the floor and my grand daughter kicks them out in a parking lot or trailhead :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 10]

wawhitey wrote:Still has the one left. Better grab it before i do. It takes either AA or CR123A batteries, whichever strikes your fancy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-HL50-LED ... SwxfheWZOK

Curse you! Had to order one to add to my lamp Arsenal; they look good! Found them on another site for 50 bones plus shipping, PMed you the site/link.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Wow, i must suck at the internet to have not found that! I ordered 2 more while i still can, thank you! Ill be good for many years to come now. Was trying to be a nice guy and let somebody else have a chance at the last ebay one, which was the last one i could find.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Thumbs up emoticon (who owns this damn forum anyhow, should have more emojis). I hear ya, when you find a product you really like. I ordered 5? of the Silva’s I mentioned, really digging on them. One for my hunting partner and maybe send one to a few of the stinky MODs that would appreciate them.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 13]

The hl50 will knock your socks off.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:The hl50 will knock your socks off.

I’ll take the Pepsi challenge between the Fenix, Silva, and a few others. Will let you know what I see/don’t see.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Stinky? I shower most months!
Tigger