Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Closest and Farthest Shot on an Elk – Boom Stick

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Closest and Farthest Shot on an Elk – Boom Stick

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 1]

So campers, what was your shortest and furthest kill shot on a wapiti (with a firearm)? I'm talking first shot here, not a follow-up (get another bullet in the critter) shot.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Closest and Farthest Shot on an Elk – Boom Stick

Postby 7mmfan » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Closest: 10 yards
Furthest: 356 yards

Most of them have been under 50, I think 3 of my 10 were over 100.

The close one was a spike bull that I walked up on in big timber first thing in the morning. It was windy, and there was a lot of cover noise. I was walking up an old grade and got to a point where there was a lot of young fir trees growing, creating a wall about 10' tall. I stopped just to be still for a few minutes, it was maybe 5 minutes after legal shooting light. I heard a funny sound that I dismissed at first as a squirrel. Then I heard it again and it was clearly the sound of grass being grazed. I slowly crouched down and looked under the branches of the young trees in front of me and there was an elk grazing not 15 yards away. He was facing away from me so I was able to slowly slide to a spot where there was a small opening that I could get a line of sight through. Over the next minute or two he turned and grazed towards me and into that opening. I shot him in the lungs at 10 yards, and he basically didn't react. He stood head up stalk still. I chambered another round and shot him in the neck.

The best part was my Dad had dropped me off and returned to our camp which was about 1/2 mile away line of sight from where I was. He said he had literally just closed the door on the truck and was walking into the tent when he heard the shots clear as day. He knew I was the only guy up there so he just got back in the truck and drove up there :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 3]

405 yards in 2019. Followed by 365 this past year. I plan on being prepared for 700 this year. In most cases I can sneak to within 400 or less but there are times when time is running out. Also situations where there’s just not enough cover to make a move.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 10, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I think my closest was around 80...farthest was just shy of 400
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 02 11, 2021 •  [Post 5]

closesst was 175 furthest was 402
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2021 •  [Post 6]

It has been many years since I shot an elk with a rifle. I remember shooting one and knocking it down. The shot must have been about 150 yards. It got up and ran down slope and crossed a swollen creek. When it go out on the other side it was killed by another hunter who got it on a drive by shooting. All of my other elk were killed at less than 100 yards. I have killed deer at over 200 yards shooting off-hand. I guess that is because I hunt more open country for deer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 11, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Strange... I've mostly shot them in the 75-100 yards range.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 02 11, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Rifle. Watched my first bull walk straight towards be for 1200 yards. 39 yards frontal, as the elk spun, maybe within the same moment I had another bullet in him. Seemed to go to the ground faster than gravity allows.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 11, 2021 •  [Post 9]

This is frustrating.im doing this on my phone and just lost another post.

A neighbor and I drew two of 200 cow management hunt on Deseret Land and Livestock.
Five were in line to shoot. Two of us waited a ways off with another guide.
The shootng was over. The herd hustling ul the far steep canyon . I was watching through my scope. The guide asked if I wanted to shoot.

I asked the range, His reply was ,

What are you sighted in?

My responce"250"

"Shoot a foot high."

"You sure?"

"A foot"

Aiming a foot high the first shot was bad. In the elks left Knee. I fired again. Right knee .
I looked above the scope. Grumbling.
"That's 700 "
Raised the gun, right through the spine at 5he base of the neck.
While I did make the kill. I wasn't happy that they had me take the first shot at 650 yards
Lefty

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 12, 2021 •  [Post 10]

That's some great shooting Lefty!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2021 •  [Post 11]

I had done a lot of shooting that summer and knew the gun and load well. But that's not a shot I would have taken if I knew the yardage.
I felt solid before the shot. I figure it was a 350 yard the first shot.
Lefty

Postby lilshootergirl » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I drew a cow, was late getting up 2nd to last day, seen shooters way out, I knew where the elk traveled so I sat with my bipod, in 10 minutes 2 cows with there calves came running out just where I figured, so I held at 350 yards, 1st shot she just stood still,shee pivoted on her front so put another in on other side behind shoulder. Still didn't fall, so I aimed at Hind hock! Finally dropped!!
I used 180grain core lock soft point that I loaded! Thinking I might rethink my loads??
This. Spring ill see what I get through a chonagraph? Need better foot lbs?
I shot my 1st buck at 10 yard with my families winchester 3030.
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Shooter, I am thinking about going on a rifle elk hunt. I will probably take my 308W. I plan to load 165 grain bullets. They will be spire point, boat tails, (SPBT), but I have not decided on which one. They will not be exotic high end expensive bullets. Most like I will use Sierra's. I like Core Lok bullets just fine.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 14]

well, my data is pretty limited. I've killed a whopping two (2) elk.

first was about 35 yards. second was 19th yards.

now mind you, I'm a gun nut. always have been. I make a real big deal about dialing in my load just right, getting it sighted in at exactly 200 yards, and feeling 100% confident out to 300 yards.

then kill them at .44 mag distance. unfortunately.... I don't see them that close very often!
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Billy Goat » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:Shooter, I am thinking about going on a rifle elk hunt. I will probably take my 308W. I plan to load 165 grain bullets. They will be spire point, boat tails, (SPBT), but I have not decided on which one. They will not be exotic high end expensive bullets. Most like I will use Sierra's. I like Core Lok bullets just fine.

FWIW, Swede, my son and I both shoot 165 gr in 308win. I've been very pleased with Accubonds.
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Thanks Goat: I think I will give them a try. Tears ago I soured on Nosler when I hit a coupe of elk and both times the bullets did not mushroom like I thought they should. In fact they just bent. I am sure modern Noslers are fine and the Accubonds sound like a winner.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:Thanks Goat: I think I will give them a try. Tears ago I soured on Nosler when I hit a coupe of elk and both times the bullets did not mushroom like I thought they should. In fact they just bent. I am sure modern Noslers are fine and the Accubonds sound like a winner.

do you recall what impact velocities would have been? any pictures of the bent bullets? I know some of the "tougher" bullets dont mushroom well at lower velocities.

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Tigger » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 18]

Barnes TSX and TTSX for me. After listening to a podcast on how lead fragments in meat I switched. They have performed flawlessly in every type of critter that my family has shot.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 19]

I have shot several elk with my ML at 15 yards or so. Centerfire ,furthest was 347yards, according to my range finder.I shot 3-4 close to that distance. Most were under a 100 yards though.

These were with 348 gr Powerbelts, 220 gr RN, 180gr RN, 180 and 175 Gr Sierra Game Kings, a few with 180 Nosler Partitions. A few sprinkled in there with a 44 mag carbine with 240 gr semi jackets, some 405 gr semi jacketed out of a 45-70 and two or three with a 170 gr FP out of a 30-30

Swede.I would look at some 180gr RN for your.308 if you are not talking any amount of distance The AB' s will sure work,but they are twice the price. My opinion only, but I think the 165 gr cup and core's are a little light for elk. I you watch Shooters Pro Shop you can get Nolser over runs or blems forabout 1/2 price

As for the lead in game meat,there has been several studies about that and quite a few blood test done of those who consume wild game with lead cored bullets and there has been no conclusive proof that lead fragments or BB's contirbute to lead poisioning. Lead dust will kill you right quick though. I trim all blood shot meat carefully and don't intentionally gobble up lead, but my grandfather,my father,myself and my kids all grew up on wild game so killed, along with many extended family members. Remember that all started in California and you know what a bunch of crazies they are.JMHO though and certainly everyone can do as they chose.
saddlesore

Postby Billy Goat » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 20]

saddlesore wrote:The AB' s will sure work,but they are twice the price.

fwiw, I use Nos BT's in 165 for general practice and deer sized critters. more expensive than the 165 Sierra GK's, but same exact shape and BC as the AB's. in our rifles, they hit same POI.

that said.... I'd probably use 180 gr BT's and AB's for same reason Saddlesore cited above if they shot better in my rifle. they just dont shoot quite as good as 165's out of our Savage LWH's. they do well, but the 165's are stupid good accurate.

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 21]

I was shooting hand loaded 130 gr. Nosler Partition bullets and H4831 powder, through a 270W. The first elk I shot that day was about 200 yards away. It dropped to the ground but when I got down into a little draw, and out of sight of the elk, it got up and fled. It was killed by another hunter not too far away. The other elk died on the spot. It was under 100 yards away. I did not chronograph the loads, but I always load just below the highest recommended level. The advertised muzzle velocity was about 3,000 fps. That means it was closer to 2,900 fps in the real world.
After getting a chronograph I found that none of my handloads come all that close to matching the velocity advertised in the handload book. I asked a gunsmith, that likes to wildcat rounds, why I was not getting the advertised velocities, and he said that is the normal situation.
Swede

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 22]

I was thinking about 180 gr. bullets in my 308W, but they are so slow, I wondered if I would have to figure a way to relay them up to the elk. I was hoping if I used 165s, I could get the job done with just one shot.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 23]

That is a pretty common problem Swede. When I read through reloading data, they all now publish the barrel that the load was fired through. They are almost always custom barrels and long for the caliber being shot. Those longer barrels just get higher velocities. When I began shooting through a chrono, I quickly gave up chasing speed, especially documented speed, as I knew I'd never achieve it with my rifles. I settled on accuracy and never looked back.

That being said I've never had a bullet do what you stated. I wonder if you got a bad batch? Were the bullets from the same batch or different?

I started reloading monolithics a couple years ago for both of my rifles. Partly because of lead fragmentation. Regardless of what studies say, I don't want to eat lead, and I don't my family eating lead. Also, the writing is on the wall, all copper bullets will eventually be a mandate, at least here in my home state since they do everything CA does. I just got ahead of the game a little. For anyone worried about expansion of the all copper bullets, look into their long range versions. They are designed to expand at lower velocities, so in my mind that means I can count on them expanding at any reasonable range I will shoot at. I shoot the Barnes LRX out of my 7 mag and it's insanely accurate for me. None of the animals I killed this year with it seemed to care that it was copper and not lead.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 24]

Swede wrote:I was thinking about 180 gr. bullets in my 308W, but they are so slow, I wondered if I would have to figure a way to relay them up to the elk. I was hoping if I used 165s, I could get the job done with just one shot.

They probbaly will,but if you hit an elk at 40-50 yards , and clip ashoulder bone,you will not be happy.

Slow and deep penetration is always better than fast and no penetration which is probably what happend with that 130gr , .270. Most are using 150 gr, .270 bullets in a cup and core or 130 gr with a premium bullet.Check velocities on ML and they fall in the 1400FPS range. Some faster,some slowers. 170 gr,in a 30-30 or a 240 gr in a 44 mag is about 2200,1700 fps respectively. They all kill elk , but probably not out at 300 yards. Unless you are talking long distances ,heavy for caliber is not a bad choice.Heavy for caliber will usually maintain enegry and velocity at longer than ligterr bullets.If you have ballistic tables in your loading manual, check that out.I have killed a lot of elk with bullets flying in the 2400-2600fps realm.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 25]

Agree 7mm. the issue is not lead poisoning, but rather the subtle affects of elevated lead levels. I cannot afford to lose any brain cells or I am going to be eating a banana only diet!! that and the performance has been perfect. We have shot quite a few critters of quite a few different flavors and none, not one, have gotten away from rifles throwing copper bullets. Given the scarcity of ammo, I am hoping most people stay with lead so I can find some copper however!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 26]

7mmfan wrote:That is a pretty common problem Swede. When I read through reloading data, they all now publish the barrel that the load was fired through. ,,,,,,,,

I started reloading monolithics a couple years ago for both of my rifles. Partly because of lead fragmentation. Regardless of what studies say, I don't want to eat lead,,,,,,,,,
Tigger wrote:Barnes TSX and TTSX for me. After listening to a podcast on how lead fragments in meat I switched. They have performed flawlessly in every type of critter that my family has shot.

Ive shot ballistic tips and particians and I'm sitting with a box of Accubonds. Ill probably use them on targets or coyotes. Im headed towards Barnes anyway.
Im sort of a shot placement junky and rely on accuracy in a rifle. Not speed or energy displacement.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2021 •  [Post 27]

The two Nosler partition bullets I wrote about came from the same gun, the same day, in consecutive order, from the same box.
I certainly agree with Saddlesore about the bullets. It is just that my gun is sighted in for 165s. I use them for everything.
Do you guys think if we go in together for a case of Prevagen, we could get a good discount? Never mind the lead poisoning; My little brain could always use a boost.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 28]

You probably have to go to a range and check your zero anyway Swede. If your 165' 's are sighted in at 2-3" high at100 yards ,the 180's would probably be dead on, with maybe a tweak right or left.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 29]

My closest shot was probably in the neighborhood of 5-7 yards with a bow from a tree. My farthest with a rifle? I won't even bother to tell you. You probably wouldn't believe me anyhow. :shock: :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2021 •  [Post 30]

saddlesore wrote:You probably have to go to a range and check your zero anyway Swede. If your 165' 's are sighted in at 2-3" high at100 yards ,the 180's would probably be dead on, with maybe a tweak right or left.

When I was shooting ballistic tips oh-oh can't remember may it was Particians. out of my 7MM A-Bolt.
160 at zero
140s had some up and left creep about 1/2", 120's were up and over slightly an inch All three loads using the same amount of powder.
Lefty