Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snow in W WA?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snow in W WA?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 1]

A bit of snow in the west side of Washington. Certainly not the norm here. Dogs are loving it :D

FC49967A-F922-4DE0-A7F0-96B6749F3C58.jpeg
FC49967A-F922-4DE0-A7F0-96B6749F3C58.jpeg (109.78 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Snow in W WA?

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Ditto for western Oregon. My yard is white with a good blanket of snow also.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I just wish ours would go away. Its frozen hard, to where youre walking on top of it just fine, then you posthole through to your balls. Terrible mess. And its so loud to walk on you may as well be banging pots and pans while youre walking through the woods. Kills any motivation to hunt when you figure anything within hearing range of your call probably heard you stomping around too. So ive been an indoor cat lately. Think i may go out and try hunting tomorrow despite knowing its pointless
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 4]

We have about a foot of snow here. I went out for my daily walk this morning. Slogging through a foot of snow with heavy boots isn't easy, but I feel blessed to go three miles only slightly slower than normal. I was breaking snow almost all of the way. The trek included going up and over a couple of hills, the neighbors gave nicknames to, like Butt Kick and Heart Attack. God has been very good to me.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 02 13, 2021 •  [Post 5]

We ended up with about 6.5" . I built a wicked sled run on our driveway into the end of our cul de sac. All the neighborhood kiddos ended up ripping down that thing for a few hours. Our 3.5 year old loved it. Hopefully the rain holds off long enough tomorrow for him to get another couple hours in.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 14, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Driveway is drifted in!!! 10 below zero!! Need to go out and plug the tractor in so it will start so I can plow!! I suppose that's the price you have to pay to live in paradice!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Friends from Vancouver and Tulalip posted on Facebook. Snow on the coast,,, thats just crazy.

I can only imagine sitting on the porch with a hot chocolate and watching people driving :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2021 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:,,,,, then you posthole through to your balls. ,,,,,,,,,

Been there, felt it

t hat just stuck me funny,.. hurt too, just laughing about it :lol:
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 14, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:t hat just stuck me funny,.. hurt too, just laughing about it

Heavy traffic, wet snow and highway tires are nothing to laugh about. Ignorant masses of people driving regular speeds on wet snow and bald tires are a disaster just waiting to happen. I just stay home until it is over.

I have experienced worse than post holing through crusted snow going up to my nads. Several times I have been wearing snow shoes, working on over 6 foot of snow, with a pack on. I went through a hidden void, where the brush was bent over and hidden. I ended up nearly on the ground. When that happens you will land anyway God wants you to, and it will be a major chore to get your snow shoes off and climb out.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 02 14, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote:t hat just stuck me funny,.. hurt too, just laughing about it

Heavy traffic, wet snow and highway tires are nothing to laugh about. Ignorant masses of people driving regular speeds on wet snow and bald tires are a disaster just waiting to happen. I just stay home until it is over.

I have experienced worse than post holing through crusted snow going up to my nads. Several times I have been wearing snow shoes, working on over 6 foot of snow, with a pack on. I went through a hidden void, where the brush was bent over and hidden. I ended up nearly on the ground. When that happens you will land anyway God wants you to, and it will be a major chore to get your snow shoes off and climb out.

Im always worried, when i get wallowing through the brushy snowy messes you described, that im going to break a leg under a hidden deadfall or something and be totally screwed.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 02 15, 2021 •  [Post 11]

I would take snow over the cold we have been having. It has been 10 days since the thermometer went about that 0 mark. Last few nights have been around -25 to -27. But tomorrow the high is supposed to be 1. As in 1 degree. A whole degree all to ourselves to play with for a few hours.

My kids have been wearing shorts the entire time.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I almost died today in the sherman creek wildlife area tracking a cat. Didnt realize underneath the couple inches of snow i was walking on was a solid slick sheet of ice. Fell on my face and went sliding backward downhill toward a sheer cliff, somehow stopped like 2 ft before i would have launched over and died when i hit the rocks below. Im home now, f*** that cat.

Pic of the cliff..
Attachments
Screenshot_20210216-143924_Earth_copy_270x570.jpg
Screenshot_20210216-143924_Earth_copy_270x570.jpg (156.13 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:I almost died today in the sherman creek wildlife area tracking a cat. Didnt realize underneath the couple inches of snow i was walking on was a solid slick sheet of ice. Fell on my face and went sliding backward downhill toward a sheer cliff, somehow stopped like 2 ft before i would have launched over and died when i hit the rocks below. Im home now, f*** that cat.

Holy crap (evil cat)!! Glad you're back home, safe and sound.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 02 16, 2021 •  [Post 14]

And of course, i go out in my back yard and theres cat tracks from this morning. Checked my cams and yup, if ida been sitting on my couch this morning i couldve killed a lion in my pajamas around 7am, and avoided a near death experience.
All in all this winter weather is seeming quite hostile. Aside from nearly shooting over that cliff, i slipped on hidden ice sheets 3 other times, one of which led to me sliding into a small creek on my ass and tweeking my shoulder pretty good, another lead to me bashing my knee. And ive banged my rifle up and cant hunt with it now until i shoot paper with it to make sure its okay. I also rushed a shot on a coyote this morning and airballed it. Im staying inside for a while.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 19, 2021 •  [Post 15]

wawhitey wrote:And of course, i go out in my back yard and theres cat tracks from this morning. Checked my cams and yup, if ida been sitting on my couch this morning i couldve killed a lion in my pajamas around 7am, and avoided a near death experience.
All in all this winter weather is seeming quite hostile. Aside from nearly shooting over that cliff, i slipped on hidden ice sheets 3 other times, one of which led to me sliding into a small creek on my ass and tweeking my shoulder pretty good, another lead to me bashing my knee. And ive banged my rifle up and cant hunt with it now until i shoot paper with it to make sure its okay. I also rushed a shot on a coyote this morning and airballed it. Im staying inside for a while.

Nothing like a close encounter to make you aware

The shoulder damage can be a problem, I dumped my ATVin August. PT really helped, but last night I rolled on my shoulder,.. still hurts
Lefty