Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Boots.......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Boots.......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 1]

When folks ask me what the most important piece of elk hunting gear is (either for newer elk hunters, or, those looking to upgrade something) I usually say "get some good boots". A close second would be a top shelf all in one pack but that's for another thread.

Allrighty, what elk huntin' boots did you use this year, and, do you like them? Would you recommend them to another hunter? If dissatisfied with your current boots, what are you looking at getting? OK, let's talk about elk hunting boots ;)

boots.jpg
boots.jpg (147.35 KiB) Viewed 11666 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunting Boots.......

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I have a pair of Danner boots. They fit me well. They last for many years. I suppose they last partly because they fit. They are waterproof for a few seasons, but not forever. I think that is the nature of Gortex. I have been buying Danner boots for years, so I guess I like them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I just finished my 9th season in the same boots. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000s. I love them! They take awhile to break in but that tells you that they are TOUGH.

I might consider the Crispi Wild Rock Plus boots next time.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I hate my feet!!! I work in Red Wing wear the boots are made, I well 100% say I love Red Wing boots until I started getting older and started archery hunting elk. The 1st year archery elk hunting I bought Red Wings and you should have see the size of the blister on my toes and heals my feet were not prepared for walking 10 plus miles a day. Year 2 I bought cabelas mendel and the were heaven for 3 years but something happened it was like walking on bricks the bottom of me feet we on fire. Now what? skinny long feet. So the research led me to Crispi Nevada cant say there perfect but with my feet they are looking good so far. But its only been 2 years. The biggest con in the price tag $399 for boots.. ouch. But like Rory said they are best peace of equipment a run and gun elk hunter can own...
I still use Red Wing boots for my local hunting and my guess is I always well.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby wawhitey » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 5]

The only boots ive found that my feet like are lowas. Lowa are the only boot i buy now, hunting or otherwise. Im sold on their product. I can barely stand to wear my danners for yard work now. Their tibet superwarm took some breaking in to be comfortable, but my rangers etc were good to go from day one.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I was a Danner guy for s long time but I went through 3 pairs in 4 years. They didn't just leak, they completely fell apart. So two years ago I got some Salomon 4D Gtx. They were fantastic. For a year. Now they leak like a sieve. They're comfortable but I think I need to go back to a high ankle boot and full grain leather that I can wax and treat to keep waterproof. Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnees are on my list.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 7]

7mmfan wrote:I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. I was a Danner guy for s long time but I went through 3 pairs in 4 years. They didn't just leak, they completely fell apart. So two years ago I got some Salomon 4D Gtx. They were fantastic. For a year. Now they leak like a sieve. They're comfortable but I think I need to go back to a high ankle boot and full grain leather that I can wax and treat to keep waterproof. Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnees are on my list.

Get a pair of lowas. I havent done any waterproofing to mine and theyre solid after a few years of abuse. And yeah, danners fall apart as soon as you put em on. They hurt my feet like a sumbitch too.

https://www.lowaboots.com/
wawhitey

Postby Billy Goat » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I've gone through a revolving boot evolution since I started elk hunting in 2008.
Rocky Cornstalkers - favorite all around boot, but started leaking after 2 years.
Cabelas Guide 1200's - I still have them but never wear them cause they are ridiculously heavy/bulky
Cabelas Guide Series uninsulated - I wore most often for years. never leaked, but were never comfortable either. always good for a couple blisters a year. finally started to laminate and come apart this season.
Danner uninsulated Cabelas branded - returned after wearing them for a month. started coming apart on the trip. very disappointed with those
Rocky BearClaw - ordered online from Tractor Supply. Looked like the perfect boot on paper, but didnt fit worth a flip. never hunted these. returned them to my local TSC.
Corcoran military boots - 600gr - pretty decent, but the boots dont fit my foot real well. feels "loose" on the sides a bit. dont leak.

and finally this year, I bought a set of Kenetrek Mountain 400's on ebay 2nd hand. I REALLY like them so far just wearing them around the house and deer hunting a few times. hoping this will be my primary elk boot.

still need to replace my uninsulated boots before next season and haven't decided which direction to go on them.

Does anyone have experience with the Danner Elk Hunter boot? this model is USA made, fwiw.
https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/elk-hunter-8-brown.html
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Tigger » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Schnees Beartooth. They are flat out awesome in every way. I have 2 pairs. One from 2008. Had them about wore out from Elk, pheasant (pheasant hunting can be surprisingly hard on boots due to abrasive vegetation), grouse, turkey, waterfowl, going to church, deer, and antelope hunting. at the 9 year mark, they were starting to leak. Called Schnees and told them how much I loved them and wanted to buy another pair. Instead, they insisted on sending me a free new pair because they leaked. After 9 years. 9. as in 9 seasons of hard use. I told them no, they didnt owe me a pair of boots. they insisted. I have since sold numerous buddies on them and never miss a chance to give them great reviews. I think they have more than gotten their moneys worth out of my selling boots for them and my reviews. at least I hope so. I will continue to do it too as they deserve it. When I see lists of boots people have used over the last 12 years and I have 1 pair, it dawns on my how cheap my Schnees are despite the initial price tag. Overall, I have spent way less than most people on boots!
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I'm entering season 6 with my Zamberlans in 2021. I don't even remember the model. I like them a lot, but initially they weren't the best fit for my feet. I had to really break them in thoroughly to get them comfortable. Now they fit really well and the only issue I have is that the tread is probably worn down to 40% life left. I'm hoping to get another season or two out of them before going to a new boot. I hate the shopping process for boots.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I have gotten 10 to 16 years from Danner boots. I wear them when I go to the forest or other hiking. They don't go to church with me like RJ's boots do. I think good fit is the key. When I worked for a living, I would get 3-4 years from a pair of Kulien boots that I worked in all day at least five days per week and on fires. They are a hand made boot from Centralia Wa. I had both caulk boots and Vibram soled ones made by them. If you want a pair, go to their shop to be fitted, and take your gold master card.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Every persons feet are different. I had a pair I wanted to buy so bad several years ago and I finally went to Cabelas and tried them on. Horrible fit...I have very wide feet. The keens I have now probably have fit me better then any other boot I have had. I bought them for $65 on a 1 day sidewalk sale for 50% off so not bad.

Honestly the best “boot”/shoe I have ever worn archery hunting was an old pair of basketball Nike’s. I’ve worn a lot of tennis shoes hiking. Some slip like crazy and some grip really good. I had one pair that I wore for several seasons. Never hard sore feet once and I covered an insane amount of country. On dry days you could not beat them.

I need a new pair for next season as my keens have seen about all they can handle. As of now I think I will try the Solomon’s. I’ve heard great things about them and they are supposed to fit like a tennis shoe
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 13]

The Salomon 4D's are very comfortable and I've covered some nasty ground in them and with heavy loads. I just can't keep water out of them and either only 1 year on them that's not acceptable to me.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 14]

In the past some form of New Balance/ Cabelas light weight hikers, Good for my feet
My daughter was given pro price on UnderArmour 400 gm boots. She donated them to a local Deseret Industries. I had nothing but prolems. Squeaked no matter how stealthy . Heel seperated the first ti,me I wore them , and the laces broke,.. They shepped me new ones. I was only using them for September hunting, So three September seasons the heel fabric separated, Toebox stitching was like rot. They went right into the trash
I replaced them with Danners ( thanks for the sale heads up Swede). So far they are great.
I have a pair of 16 ? year old Lacrosse 2000 thinsulate, Incredible boots
My daughter wears Solomon cross trainers, and loves them
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I bring 2 pairs to elk camp - my kennetreks and my lowas. 2 great boots. Everyone’s feet like different boots though.
Old school

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Billy Goat: I sent you a PM
>>>---WW---->

Postby wawhitey » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Lefty wrote:In the past some form of New Balance/ Cabelas light weight hikers, Good for my feet
My daughter was given pro price on UnderArmour 400 gm boots. She donated them to a local Deseret Industries. I had nothing but prolems. Squeaked no matter how stealthy . Heel seperated the first ti,me I wore them , and the laces broke,.. They shepped me new ones. I was only using them for September hunting, So three September seasons the heel fabric separated, Toebox stitching was like rot. They went right into the trash
I replaced them with Danners ( thanks for the sale heads up Swede). So far they are great.
I have a pair of 16 ? year old Lacrosse 2000 thinsulate, Incredible boots
My daughter wears Solomon cross trainers, and loves them

I bought a pair of under armour boots once. Super comfortable but fell apart faster than any boot ive ever worn.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2020 •  [Post 18]

The Salomons are fine for hiking, no not waterproof, but fail if you need ankle support and have weight on your back. I have a pair and they are both inexpensive and comfortable. My current elk hunting boots are Lowa Tibet GTX Highs. The Lowas take some trail miles to break in but worth the effort. Bombproof.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Billy Goat.... that Danner Elk Hunter is a VERY nice boot. It’s the only Danner worth looking at. The leather is fairly soft out of the box so nearly no break in period. One thing worth mentioning is that Danner boots run a little narrow. If you haven’t settled on a boot those are definitely worth a try.
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 19, 2020 •  [Post 20]

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new pair of Danner Elk Ridge GTX boots in size 8 EE that I won in an elk calling contest. They have 1000 grams if thinsolate insulation. I have no need for them so I'd make someone a good deal on them.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2020 •  [Post 21]

>>>---WW----> wrote:If anyone is interested, I have a brand new pair of Danner Elk Ridge GTX boots in size 8 EE that I won in an elk calling contest. They have 1000 grams if thinsolate insulation. I have no need for them so I'd make someone a good deal on them.

I stand corrected those boots are also worth trying. Those and the ones Billy Goat mentioned are both nice boots.
Indian Summer

Postby DBLGBL » 12 20, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Crispis for me. I have both the Nevada uninsulated and the Valdres. Three years on the Valdres and the have a couple more left. Both are all leather boots.

2Gbl
DBLGBL

Postby DirtyErn » 12 24, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I use my Zamberlian hiking boots. I hike all summer in them so they are all ready broke in and trail ready.
FYI a lot of the boots can be re soled, I found Dave the Cobbler in Fremont, Wa
he’s only guy Zamberlian uses world wide for there warranty work, I believe.
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby hibernation » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Finally retiring my Danners, they've been solid but after 6 years of hunting and outdoor work they're just getting to the end of their lifespan. They fit really well in some ways (after a long break-in period) but I was just never completely happy with them. Got a pair of Garmonts on the way. Early season archery I'm often just in light trail runners, and late season blacktail is usually my xtratuffs.

For you Zamberlan guys, how was the sizing? I looked closely at a couple pairs but it's hard to verify fit without trying them on and I've heard some mixed reviews on how "true to size" they run. I've got a decent online discount with them, but there's no returns... hard to pull the trigger on that.
hibernation

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 25]

hibernation wrote:For you Zamberlan guys, how was the sizing? I looked closely at a couple pairs but it's hard to verify fit without trying them on and I've heard some mixed reviews on how "true to size" they run. I've got a decent online discount with them, but there's no returns... hard to pull the trigger on that.

They are an Italian boot and are pretty narrow (as most of the Italian boots are). You definitely need to try them on before buying, or, look elsewhere if you need a wider boot as you'll find with the German or American made boots.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Marble » 12 30, 2020 •  [Post 26]

This year I hunted in 3 different boots.

Lowa GTX. During archery they gave me a blister. Its my second year with the boot so idk. Seemed like they shrunk a bit which is common for me. I wear size 14 to 15. I put a boot stretcher in each one over a weekend after season and all is well. Super comfortable again.

Salomen GTX 4, no insulation. I have to say I am impressed. Lasted an entire turkey season, summer hunting and elk archery. I would highly recommend.

Danner pronghorn 400

It's s good boot. I think I can get one more season. They are warm, comfortable and offer great support. The first pair got replaced because stiching pulled out along the sole. The second pair has done the same but not as bad.
Marble

Postby TimberCruiser » 12 30, 2020 •  [Post 27]

My go to boot for walking through the timber summer/fall is the Meindl 200 gram Alaskan Hunter. Always had good luck with them, use them for timber cruising in thick stuff all year. They wear out for me around 1500 miles on foot. Mink oil is essential for keeping your leather intact.
TimberCruiser

Postby DirtyErn » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 28]

On the Zamberlian’s I have a wide foot and they fit me fine. However since I wear boots all day for work. I only buy after trying g them on in store. Same goes for my hiking/ hunting boots.
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby Billy Goat » 02 06, 2021 •  [Post 29]

update

I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new ($460) pair of non-insulated Kennetrek Mountain Extreme. Wish I'd have bought them a long time ago, and not gone through a dozen crappy pairs along the way.

and as much as it will pain me to do it, I'll be buying a similar pair for my 16YO boy. he's growing like a weed and outgrew his boots this year. as much as I gripe about it, I'm thankful that he has a chance to elk hunt with me, and that he's got a passion for it as well. First world problems, as they say. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 06, 2021 •  [Post 30]

Solid boots. You’ll never regret getting those.
WapitiTalk1

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 06, 2021 •  [Post 31]

Schnees Granite for me. I have size 14 feet so I had to do some searching. I wore through a pair of Danners and decided to pull the trigger on the Schnees. I love these boots - they are tough as nails and were comfy right out of the box. This will be my fourth year with them and they just seem to get better and better!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby dsayer » 05 04, 2021 •  [Post 32]

I switched to a trail running shoe last turkey season and used them exclusively for spring turkey 2020, elk, deer in Alabama, spring turkey 2021, and will use the same pair again this Sept. I've got no plans to go back to a "hunting boot." They're lighter, more comfortable, and quieter in the woods. I'm running a pair of Altra Lone Peak 4.5s.
dsayer

Postby Rsnyder » 05 05, 2021 •  [Post 33]

Another vote for the Crispis. I've never owned a pair of premium boots and am gearing up for my first elk hunt Sept.. Bought a pair slightly used to stomach the price and was skeptical but am impressed to say the least. Got the HunterGTX told to size w/ nike tennis shoes. Spot on. i have a bad big toe knuckle and these are even more comfortable for the long haul than my Aeroheads.
Rsnyder

Postby Old school » 05 08, 2021 •  [Post 34]

I’ve got a pair of the Kennetrek non insulated mountain extremes as well but have never wore them. Sitting on my basement shelf waiting for my Lowas and Kennetrek Hardscrabbles to wear out.
Old school