Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #2

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #2

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Tag: OTC Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Archery, partner hunt
Time/Date/Location: 0830/Mid-September/in the Elk Woods
Camp/gear: Pack in backcountry hunt

Hunting journal: Mid September; archery elk partner hunt in (insert elk state here); day 3 of your 7 day hunt; bull only tag (3 PT or better). You "were" the caller in a cold calling setup. You and your buddy had set up and went through an advertising sequence for a bit over 20 minutes... nothing. No response, no detected movement, nothing for 20ish minutes..... until you see a ninja bull moving pretty quickly past your buddy to the position he is now. You have an arrow nocked (of course you do) with your bow leaning against a tree within reach; it happened very quickly as so often times it does. The bull moved past your buddy too quickly for him/her to shoot. Red arrow is buddy (original shooter) at around 30 yards; yellow arrow is you (original caller) at a bit over 20 yards; white arrow is wind direction. It's mid-morning.

Your move Hoss. What is this elk "team's" move to potentially get a shot? Could/should you have done anything different up to this point?

"UPDATE BELOW"!

Silent%20Paint.jpg
Silent%20Paint.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

Reminder that if you save the thread picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg and add the marked up pic with your post if you decide you’re shooting.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your Move Hoss, 2021 Episode #2

Postby Swede » 02 01, 2021 •  [Post 2]

If and when I can draw on the bull, without him seeing me, I'm shooting.

Silent%20Paint.jpg
Silent%20Paint.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

I put a dot on the bull, but it did not transfer. Anyway I'm shooting about 6 inches left of the tree and 9 inches up the side of the chest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I agree with Swede, shoot him when you can! Yes, you shouldnt have your bow leaning against a tree. I have done it myself during a raking sequence, but the instant I stop, I have that bow in my hands.

Depending on how this plays out, your buddy may have to become the caller. I hope you have discussed this situation with him and I also hope you didn't sneak a mouse in his sleeping bag last night!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Dead elk!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ishy » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

At 20 yards with no cover I doubt you can reach for your bow let alone draw at this point...I'm waiting till he looks away or moves behind a tree to reach for my bow.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 6]

**Update/additional info: You've obviously chosen your elk hunting partner well as he/she really "gets it". As the ninja bull moved too quickly into the setup and past the original shooter, your partner realized that he/she had no shot (bull moving too fast towards the caller and from his/her position, lost shooting lane visibility) and immediately assumed the caller role. Your partner (original shooter) hammers out a nervous grunt and the bull slams on the brakes, right where he is standing now looking back over his shoulder from where the sound came from (partner's position).

Now, with this additional info... what do you think your "team's" best move is to bring this bull home for dinner. Point of light to remember is that more often than not, a called in bull will oftentimes leave in the same direction they come in from.

An elk hunting partner, particularly during calling situations, has to be "all in" to the overall mission and possess a degree of humility. I've hunted with a few guys that seemingly went blank during these situations and forget that there are two hunters present (grin). The original shooter has to react to a changing situation and change tactics accordingly, sometimes becoming the caller to either stop/slow the bull so the original caller may have a shot opportunity (divert the bull's attention with a nervous grunt, needy cow mew, "rustle brush/thump ground", etc.). Don't sleep on having a few rocks handy to throw to draw an elk's attention away from the shooter. Each encounter is different and partner's have to be aware of each other's position, shooting lanes, prevailing winds, etc., etc., and be ready to change situational tactics as the encounter requires.

I know you folks probably know this. There are oftentimes not a single best/correct answer for these situational threads. I believe they serve their purpose by sparking some great situational discussion and potential courses of action that perhaps, folks can tuck away in their elk tool bags. As always, thanks for participating.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 7]

All else equal, the only difference being the shooter/now caller throws a nervous grunt out and gets the bulls attention, I think you still need to wait for him to move a little. If the shooter is back and to your right, the bull is still looking in your general direction and you will be busted reaching for your bow. If you're lucky, he'll turn completely around to look head on at the location and that will give you and opening to grab your bow and maybe even draw quickly. Hopefully he steps clear of that tree though!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 8]

You done messed up! If the bow wasn't already in hand, that elk is not dying without some divine intervention.

My move is to pray like crazy for a 180 degree body swap and stop!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby ishy » 02 03, 2021 •  [Post 9]

He's curious and winds good he will hopefully move around some trying to find the other elk...when and if he turns to leave I'd grab the bow and draw first followed immediately with a nervous grunt hoping he hasn't made it to cover before I can stop him.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L