Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Back Country Tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Back Country Tent

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 1]

So, what would you recommend for a lightweight back packing tent? I have one, just sparking some lightweight, backcountry tent discussion/recommendations. What do you currently use (likes, dislikes) and what would you perhaps look at getting if you’re upgrading?

EF8EEAA7-792D-45B2-BFA2-D70A2EFC20BB.png
EF8EEAA7-792D-45B2-BFA2-D70A2EFC20BB.png (345.04 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Back Country Tent

Postby wawhitey » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 2]

If i dig into my unholy mess of a gear closet soon ill see what i have. Dont even remember. Havent even used it in 2 years, just due to the areas ive been hunting, but its a great lightweight tent. Not a "hunting" brand, more of an rei weekend hippy brand, but a damn good product. Ill probably dig it out tomorrow evening.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't have one. Why wouldn't a portable ground blind work well? Could they be a duel use tool?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I doubt theres a ground blind out there as light and compact as a good tent.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 5]

And what do you mean for back country? Different than backpacking tent.
Lets face it the Rockies in the summer are not like the rest of the USA.
What months, what weather expectations
How far ya packing in! hunt trip? pack trip ?,.. how many people?, as a spike camp? There are just so many variables and considerations and tents of every kind.

Im willing to spend the night in an ultra light tent with my wife, but otherwise Ill do a solo Bivi

I still use my wifes 40 year old super light weight back packing tent,.. cut a few ounces by going titanium stakes, and replacing all lines with lightweight line. I could use trekking poles and replace poles. It was some HIgh end tent she bought to pack I would feel comfortable with this tents in all but the worst November - March
2015-06-30 22-00-14.jpg

For a one man multi day stay I would go with a bigger more comfy tent and suffer the added weight. My wife just bought the 3 man Klymit , a real three man and would be big enough for two, to weather the bad weather comfortably. But that sucker weighs 6 lbs. But If she really does Two Oceans with me this year Ill pack it.

The hardcore thru hikers like fly's except in extreme mosquito conditions.,. I forgot the tent five years ago on a November moose hunt,.. rain and snow. At first light my wife said she wanted to stay in bed and I could hunt.
2015-10-18 07-47-14.JPG

A number of my scouts were sleeping in 1 man bivi tents It you are only sleeping, Eureka, seemed like a great value for $70 a great way to keep bugs and some weather out
My buddy Dave and a number of my other scouts sleep in hammock,.. they kinda suck above tree line :lol: Dave brought a bug net. the boy just zipped up. We were up in City of Rocks national reserve,.. freezing temps, driving rains . We all stayed dry and comfy Two of us were in two man tents, every one else was in a single bivi or hammock

Your going to pay dearly to cut a couple pounds on a two man tent. I just saw a nice used once Kuiu for its price nothing should compare and I would have bought it without my wifes permission :lol: if I didnt have a Christmas tent

General camping , an overnighter the Colemans we got about 50 nights in the ones sold through Costco years ago
Other than close to safety The Walmart Ozarks are fine,.. but dont trust them with your life. Had a dad and a scout buy two of the one man for a BSA packing trip, the dad truly thought he was going to die ( 22 degrees in the Wind rivers in July. Earlier in May I tried to warn the dad off of the Ozark tent,.. on another outing I had other boys put up a Kodiac

Our best buy was $39.00 tent . Some engineer designed and had 1000 made,.. and didnt know how to sell them . We figured that tent was slept in 450 nights. My 10 year old daughter could pop it open and staked in seconds incredible tent
2011-09-01 04.JPG

Wind and heavy snow driving rain are conditions you need to be ready for Most of my tents have gone down in sever winds,.. An REI spring bar Or cabelas Kodiac ( three man) is the only tent thats ever withstood sustained 70 mph winds of 16 inches of wet snow

45 mph winds We drove to Arco for breakfast :lol:
2016-02-13 07-39-02.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 6]

A top end MSR or Hilleburg are only dreams,.. But yeah one of those

A buddy of mine was a mountaineer. Hiileberg for him, Some how he enjoyed those 15-20 days without a bath in places too cold to drop your pants too,..

I have friends neighbors that pack in a military surplus tent,.. generally set up for 35 days

Ive been in a Barebones tent/lodge. They are a fabric house: If I was Spending 30 days or more ,, heck yeah Im having a horse pack the 218 lb $2700 - $4,700 glorified wall tent into the back country.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I have two portable blinds. They must be 10-12 pounds each. They are not for back packing, but I can carry one on my e-bike trailer. The Mule is not that fussy. I do not carry cast iron pans, but my sleeping bag is not ultra lite either.
I have a place where I can drive in and set up camp two days before the archery season opens, but the road gets closed the day before the season. It is all downhill on the way back. The only time there is a problem is when I get an elk. That will be a big load for the Mule and trailer. That could get the brakes a little warm on the way out. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Ha, yes I'm taking back country "pack in" hunting tents, not tentage that is rolled in, or, packed in with stock. Really, the folks I know that do this type of hunting/camping either choose a tipi or an actual floored tent. As wawhitey mentioned, weight (or lack of) is "everything" when you do these types of hunts. I have a Luxe Megahorn Tipi, complete with a Lite Outdoors titanium stove. It's a bombproof setup, has kept my partner and I from freezing our acorns off on numerous occasions but even with the weight split between two of us, it is a bit heavy (something like 7-8 pounds with the stove?). I also have a Nemo Hornet 2, two person tent (you need a two person tent to adequately fit one person and gear inside) which weighs around 2.5 lbs I believe. Yes, it's better suited for September bow hunts where you may or may not get really bad weather but yep, you never know what Mother Nature may throw your way. I like the looks of the new Lite Outdoors tipi. Very lightweight, pretty reasonably priced I think, and the Isola 4 version (4 person which translates to 2 IMO) with the titanium stove would serve well on back country jaunts I believe.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I have a question for you guys that think every ounce is a big deal. Are you going to hold out for the tiniest legal elk or deer? If not; why is it so critical that you have the lightest camp, when there can be over 200 pounds difference between a spike elk and an large bull?
I know that not everyone is going in on a bike friendly trail or old road, but I think we are losing perspective. I can go through my regular camp equipment and set out all I need for my pack- in- camp. The difference in weight from your equipment to mine is 10#, 1 oz. The 1 ounce is for the extra $500 I still have in my wallet. JMO :D
Are you just taking pictures of your trophy? Of coarse not. You plan to pack every ounce of meat out as well as the antlers.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I have a question for you guys that think every ounce is a big deal. Are you going to hold out for the tiniest legal elk or deer? If not; why is it so critical that you have the lightest camp, when there can be over 200 pounds difference between a spike elk and an large bull?

Heavy pack-ins are a bad thing. Heavy pack-outs are a good thing. Need to save your energy on the pack-in so youre not beat up before the pack-out. The goal is to go in light, come out heavy. An area im scouting for deer, thinking ill hunt it in 2022, is going to require my packing in camp again rather than truck camping like ive done the last few years. It will not be fun packing camp in, and it will not be fun getting camp and / or an animal out. But i can reduce the level of work by keeping weight concious, make the pack out less miserable. Just getting a large deer out of this area will be brutal enough if im so fortunate. No need to add a super heavy camp to the mix to make it worse.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I carry enough extra weight,, around my gut.

Swede many of the tech fabrics are lightweight and titanium tough.

When your young it sometimes doesn't matter.

I'm not going to pack in my -5 BigJohnsom canvas flannel 10.5 lb bag when I can be packing my -5 down bag
or 16, lbs pad when my Thermarest foam sol weights 14 ounces ,, ounces weight pounds quickly. A pack that weight 40 lbs isnt the joy of a 29 lb pack

Back to tents !!
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2020 •  [Post 12]

It just seems to me that if 10# on tent and gear is that big of a deal, then 200# on an elk is over the top. Years ago there was no such thing as this ultra lite tent and cooking stuff. We carried things on a Trapper Nelson pack made of mostly canvas, brass and wood. The pack had just two straps for support. Some of us had canvas pack sacks to carry everything. But now we are going with super lite super expensive everything. I am not saying don't do it. I am just saying it is not essential.
I will go lite again on my back country hunt, if the Lord permits me to go, with just the things I already have in stock. Last year and before I did purchase a small stove and some Mountain House groceries for spike camp. Other than that, it is a tarp, two blankets and my coat for a pillow. My cooking utensil is a regular coffee pot that I cook my water in.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 30, 2020 •  [Post 13]

People will pay for comfort and everyone has his or her own line in the sand. I am willing to pay for Sitka (on sale) as it makes my style of hunting more enjoyable for me.

I am sure that there are people who use a more spartan camp than Swede and think his camp is extravagant. Heck, I just might use a Walmart 99 cent poncho next year on a 4,746 mile pack in. I will use a rock for a pillow and climb in a beaver hut for shelter. Blue jeans and a flannel shirt is all I need. I will carry a thimble for water and 3 sunflower seeds for food (one every 3rd day). This could be a trend I am starting!

I don't get the tipi thing. I just cannot wrap my mind around not having a floor. I have never used one and would probably change my mind....but no floor? Really? Snakes and bugs and mice and who knows what else would be crawling all over me!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 31, 2020 •  [Post 14]

The biggest hardcore Thru hikers I met will use a fly when possible. Some will pay a gazillion dollars and some will go under $20.00
Ripstop nylon 60" x 96" for 5.7 ounces

If I was willing to spill money I would get a top end lightweight two man Bivi
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 15]

I once backpacked a 10x12 canvas wall tent in. We were young and nothing stopped our master plans. I killed a Pope and Young bull on the 10th day so I guess it was worth it. But I never did that again!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer wrote:I once backpacked a 10x12 canvas wall tent in. We were young and nothing stopped our master plans. I killed a Pope and Young bull on the 10th day so I guess it was worth it. But I never did that again!!!

:lol: :lol:

Seems like it was all worth it when young
Lefty

Postby steviek » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 17]

thumbnail_IMG_2102.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2102.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
I have been using the Big Agnes copper spur UL 1. I believe I'm on year 7 with it and it has held up very well. The pack weight is 2 lbs 8 oz. It is roomy enough for me. We typically pack in and stay 2-3 days and move if no elk activity. It works great with that style of hunting. My hunting partner bought the copper spur Ul 2 at the same time. The pack weight is 3 lb 2 oz. It does have quit a bit more room then mine. He used it for couple years and then upgraded to a Big Agnes 3 person tent when his son started hunting with us. I'm not sure the name of 3 person tent. I will say that my tent held up under snow fall as we got the tail end of the September snow storm in Colorado this year.
steviek

First Name: Steve
Last Name: K

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 18]

I've been around the Cooper Spurs a bit. Darn good tents.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Tigger wrote:
I don't get the tipi thing. I just cannot wrap my mind around not having a floor. I have never used one and would probably change my mind....but no floor? Really? Snakes and bugs and mice and who knows what else would be crawling all over me!

I dont see the problem here. The snakes will eat the mice and the bugs will eat eachother. It will all cancel itself out.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2021 •  [Post 20]

wawhitey wrote:
Tigger wrote:

I dont see the problem here. The snakes will eat the mice and the bugs will eat eachother. It will all cancel itself out.

A floor was my main requirement sleeping in the desert.. the whole snake thing. I slept better near lion wolves and grizzlies than snakes. Ive seen more wolves , more lions, more grizzlies than I have rattlers ( 4)
Lefty

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 21]

Swede wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't have one. Why wouldn't a portable ground blind work well? Could they be a duel use tool?

I like the way you think. I have considered this for backpack hunting for deer. I am not aware of a lightweight blind but it seems like there would be a market for one if it was also waterproof.

I have a cheap Kelty 2 man dome tent that I use for some trips. I also have a tarp/tent that uses sticks or trekking poles for support. That is light and I like it for certain things. Being honest, I find that I have too hard of time getting up before sunrise in these small tents. I am a heavy sleeper and, especially when it is cold, I have a hard time prying myself out of my sleeping bag to get dressed outside in the cold or while squirming around in a small tent. This as opposed to a wall tent where I can get the stove going and sit on a cot or stand while getting dressed. As a result, I tend to just sleep in a bivy bag with a sleeping bag. I find it easier to get moving in the morning and for deer, I am basically on stand just by sitting up. (I live in the East and have only hunted for elk once so I know that my situation is different.) If it is raining, I use a tarp like the SItka Flash Shelter or one that I have from Borah Gear. I set it up so I can see all around me so I am in a shooting position at sunrise even if I haven't pulled myself out of bed.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 22]

steviek wrote:
thumbnail_IMG_2102.jpg
I have been using the Big Agnes copper spur UL 1. I believe I'm on year 7 with it and it has held up very well. The pack weight is 2 lbs 8 oz. It is roomy enough for me. We typically pack in and stay 2-3 days and move if no elk activity. It works great with that style of hunting. My hunting partner bought the copper spur Ul 2 at the same time. The pack weight is 3 lb 2 oz. It does have quit a bit more room then mine. He used it for couple years and then upgraded to a Big Agnes 3 person tent when his son started hunting with us. I'm not sure the name of 3 person tent. I will say that my tent held up under snow fall as we got the tail end of the September snow storm in Colorado this year.

Great picture. That makes me want to be there.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 23]

VT, I agree the portable blinds are much heavier than the little two person back pack tents available, but a blind could replace a tree stand, or be at another stand location. In that way they seem lighter.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 21, 2021 •  [Post 24]

My portable blind is probably about 30 pounds and isn't waterproof. I am sure someone could (or has) designed one that would fill the role that you are talking about. It makes sense.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 27, 2021 •  [Post 25]

I just bought a military TCOP tent from Eureka. I was thinking that I could use it for a backpack hunting tent. It seems very durable but, God, is it heavy. I feels like it weighs 10 pounds. I still might use it as a spike tent but definitely not for lightweight bivy hunts.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 17, 2021 •  [Post 26]

Just throw in my .02.
Spent many nights in a North Face 2 man 3 season tent, and tired of it. Gave it to my grandson. In the process of buying a SO Cimerron Light with a large stove. The whole outfit weighs 6#! That’s less than that old tent. Can stay warm and dry stuff out when I need to. Hopefully get to test drive it in Wyoming or Colorado this fall.
Elkhntr08

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 27]

Hopefully I’m not crazy, but I am thinking of getting the following “tent” and using it for a few nights in the Rocky Mountains in mid to late September https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1p you guys think I might make it with that tent and a 30 degree bag?
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Swede » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 28]

The tent looks good to me, but I would be skeptical of a 30* bag, unless you have something to supplement it. You can run into freezing temperatures in the mountains in late September. I would go with a 0* bag even if I had to just use a cheap tarp for a covering if cost is a limiting factor. The thermal rating on a sleeping bag is not where you will be comfortable. You may just survive long enough to get up and build a good fire.
Swede

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 29]

Thanks for the reply Swede! I think I’ll try that tent and a zero degree bag and report back (I think I’ll do some test runs this summer with the tent).
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 30]

Swede wrote:The tent looks good to me, but I would be skeptical of a 30* bag, unless you have something to supplement it. You can run into freezing temperatures in the mountains in late September. I would go with a 0* bag even if I had to just use a cheap tarp for a covering if cost is a limiting factor. The thermal rating on a sleeping bag is not where you will be comfortable. You may just survive long enough to get up and build a good fire.

Sound info.

My wife and I camp, sleep, vacation ATV a lot. In the past . Car ( out of the back of the pickup camping in the summer we both use our Black Pine Big Johnson Canvas bags. each rated for -5 plus we bring along one or two bag rated at 50 degreese.

We zip up or down depending on warmth needed. AS a former Scoutmaster my biggest problem on outings were Scouts that brought 30 degree bags their parent paid $15. 00 at Walmart ( ok and the boys who came and only wear shorts :)
My eventual suggestion to those parents,.. send along ski pants and another bag(2 bags )
Hmmm Im sure there are still 2 extra stinky military feather bags in the old ward scout trailer of mine.
At one time I suggested getting bags rated 20 degrees colder, but now only subzero bags all year.
Our las big backpacking trip into the Wind rivers in June ( in the snow) We actually had to refuse boys that didnt have decent gear tent or bag, or clothes. No 100 nerd had a 38 # bag without food and water

I hate hammocks, with my messed up back, But that last outing I had the only tent. The others had hammocks and 1 or 2 man bivies . Last week in June deep snow and mosquitos up high, 22 degree low temp maybe 75 for the high.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 31]

This thing is a pig. But was as advertised
We used it the first two weeks in February Ill post a gear review I do plan to use it as a spike camp this year
Angus Big House 4
151039686_3700992310013644_50813620280711237_n.jpg
151039686_3700992310013644_50813620280711237_n.jpg (132.36 KiB) Viewed 8414 times

Swede Just finishing up my Rockstar before giving the Sunday school lesson.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2021 •  [Post 32]

steviek
Try to avoid sleeping over snow. Kick down to the soils, While soil may be colder. Getting wet spots can be a problem
Lefty

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 33]

Well, my Cimerron and stove came while I was gone. Picked it up from my UPS guy today.
I’ll open it tomorrow and try my hand at a gear review. Bare with me please.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2021 •  [Post 34]

Post some pics and set it up at least once before needing to set it up.
I think were taking the Big Agnus Big House on a car trip,, the end of the week,,, I believe I messed up, were not packing in the Klymit to fish :?
Lefty