Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any AZ Hunting reg guru's?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any AZ Hunting reg guru's?

Postby lamrith » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I have hunted AZ off and on with family over the years, but always modern rifle seasons. (Hunted a few deer seaons, not drawn for elk with them)

This year am looking to possibly take my points and put them into some different hunts including muzzle loader to try and improve my odds. Problem is none of them know anything about Muzzy regs. Based on my looking it seems AZ does not have any restrictions other than being a muzzle loader? No restrictions for ignition source, and optics are allowed? I am most interested in the scope/optics side of it since muzzy technology has skyrocketed the last few years that they are accurate out farther than many people can shoot.

Anyone here know or able to confirm that by chance? Just want to make sure before I put in for draws. I have seen youtube video of people hunting AZ muzzy deer with scope, so I think it is allowed, but figured I would throw it out there in case someone here could confirm.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Re: Any AZ Hunting reg guru's?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I know zilch about AZ but I'm sure somebody here will chime in. What kind of smoke pole are you looking at getting mister?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lamrith » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Hey there bossman! Not fully decided yet. How's your smokepole working out?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 4]

It shoots just fine and dandy. Have yet to smack a big game critter with it.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:It shoots just fine and dandy. Have yet to smack a big game critter with it.

Should be getting a few inches of fluff next week, lion hunting should be primo. Come on over and freeze your ass for a ridiculously low odds hunt, it will be great. Smokepole lion would be sweet. Really only 3 months per year you cant hunt big game in washington. If you draw spring bear, thats reduced to 1.5 months.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Rangerz » 01 25, 2021 •  [Post 6]

ARIZONA
Arizona offers muzzleloading options for mule deer, antelope, elk and Coues deer. While Arizona is generally highlighted as a trophy state and carries notoriously low draw odds, archery seasons can generally be drawn with much higher odds than everything else. Those who select muzzleloader hunts will find better odds than in most rifle seasons.

Arizona is one of the most relaxed states when it comes to their laws regarding muzzleloaders where:
A muzzleloader means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder;
Must be incapable of firing fixed ammunition;
Must have a single barrel and single chamber;
Must be loaded from the muzzle end of the barrel only;
Must be ignited with black powder or synthetic black power; and
Must only fire a single projectile.
There are no restrictions on optics, projectiles or ignition sources. While this is a great fact for hunters in Arizona, it is important to note that a legal Arizona muzzleloader setup may not be usable in many other states. Consider your long-term goals when purchasing a muzzleloader to avoid the situation where a second firearm may need to be purchased.

From gohunt.com website.

This is the same as it was when we hunted there in 2012.

Good Luck!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby lamrith » 01 25, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Rangerz wrote:ARIZONA
Arizona offers muzzleloading options for mule deer, antelope, elk and Coues deer. While Arizona is generally highlighted as a trophy state and carries notoriously low draw odds, archery seasons can generally be drawn with much higher odds than everything else. Those who select muzzleloader hunts will find better odds than in most rifle seasons.

Arizona is one of the most relaxed states when it comes to their laws regarding muzzleloaders where:
A muzzleloader means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder;
Must be incapable of firing fixed ammunition;
Must have a single barrel and single chamber;
Must be loaded from the muzzle end of the barrel only;
Must be ignited with black powder or synthetic black power; and
Must only fire a single projectile.
There are no restrictions on optics, projectiles or ignition sources. While this is a great fact for hunters in Arizona, it is important to note that a legal Arizona muzzleloader setup may not be usable in many other states. Consider your long-term goals when purchasing a muzzleloader to avoid the situation where a second firearm may need to be purchased.

From gohunt.com website.

This is the same as it was when we hunted there in 2012.

Good Luck!

That is the same info I am seeing in their regs and had me wondering if it was just that easy. Thanks for confirming Ranger! Here in WA 209 primers are legal now, but no optics. ID though is still the old school ignition format. I am considering the CVA Optima/Accura. Those are nice as they make a simple replacement breech plug to convert to the "NW" style ignition. Just need to find out of they offer both sight mounting options from the factory. (IE buy a scoped version and it is predrilled to install iron sights and vice versa) If so I would buy scoped as most people recommend changing out the irons for a Peep & globe setup anyway.

I do not have a ton of points, but there are hunts near my mom's place that are little lower on the high demand list and should be easier to draw in relation to some areas. Plus I was there in Late Oct and had elk we could see right off the porch, so it caught my interest. Getting in bow rang in that terrain would be tough, but muzzleloader with today's ML gear would not be too bad.
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby Rangerz » 01 26, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I have a Thompson Omega. The bull in my avatar was taken with it.

Have to use iron sights here in NV. I put a peep and globe sight on it. The peep is mounted on a rail. That way I can take the peep off and mount a scope on it if allowed.

Guides in AZ will tell you that there are big bulls in every unit there. Just have to work a little harder for them in some of the units.

Best of luck!

Chris
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole