Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wapiti Boneless Meat Calculator

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wapiti Boneless Meat Calculator

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 25, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I dug this up somewhere a while back. Looks like it was originally from a Wyoming Game and Fish Department study on harvest rates with bonus columns on dressed out, vs. boned out weight. Forumula works as follows: determine approximate weight of field dressed bull, multiple that total weight by .50 which gives you the boneless meat weight (as seen in chart). So, if you shoot a bull that field dresses out to 500 lbs (6ish year old bull), multiple 500 X .50 which should yield 250 lbs of boned out meat. Sounds pretty close to reality. Thoughts?

elkmeatyield.jpg
elkmeatyield.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Wapiti Boneless Meat Calculator

Postby Swede » 01 25, 2021 •  [Post 2]

It is possible to get that kind of meat recovery, but you need to keep it very clean in the field, and probably need to butcher it yourself.
I do not know what is included in their 2nd column Weight figure. If looks too light for live weight, and too heavy for butchered weight including just bones. I am guessing they are going with field dressed weight with the head, legs and hide on.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Pretty close to what I have always observed
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 01 26, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I'm going to take their word for it. I've never weighed out the meat from any elk I've gotten as they all come out in tiny pieces. I've weighed out a few deer and have been surprised by how much, or how little i've gotten. A well placed shot will yield you several more pounds of meat over a stray shot through both front shoulders, or a high shoulder shot that destroys neck/backstrap. Funny how when meat yield became important to me, my shooting got infinitely better.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan