Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming General 2021

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming General 2021

Postby Medstudent2019 » 01 15, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I’ve been saving points for 4 years and finally decided to put in for Wyoming general for 2021! Should be a sure thing to draw. I’ve got some connections up by Grey River that I’m planning on focusing on. Looking to take my first bull. Should be a great trip regardless. Any pointers, tips, DOs and donts for Wyoming general would be greatly appreciated and welcomed!
Medstudent2019

Re: Wyoming General 2021

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I know very little about that area. Camped and fished the bottom end 14 years ago,
Have you spent time in the area your planning to draw a tag in.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tom Grates » 01 17, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I would talk to Indian Summer he is one of the mods on here. If anyone knows that area, it's him. He has many hunt plans in that area, it can save you a ton of time and is a wealth of knowledge.
He helped me the last few years, and I have punched my tag 100%.
Shoot him a private message, you will be glad you did.
Tom Grates

Postby Billy Goat » 01 19, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I looked at that area last summer for a 2021 prospect too. very limited road infrastructure (down in valley by river). hills are pretty steep. looks like a good, elky area, but getting to them didn't look easy by any stretch. (true for most elk grounds....)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 01 20, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Billy Goat wrote:I looked at that area last summer for a 2021 prospect too. very limited road infrastructure (down in valley by river). hills are pretty steep. looks like a good, elky area, but getting to them didn't look easy by any stretch. (true for most elk grounds....)

I like that kind of country. You just need to find the best way up the hills and you can leave others behind.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Billy Goat » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:I looked at that area last summer for a 2021 prospect too. very limited road infrastructure (down in valley by river). hills are pretty steep. looks like a good, elky area, but getting to them didn't look easy by any stretch. (true for most elk grounds....)

I like that kind of country. You just need to find the best way up the hills and you can leave others behind.

3 of my fellow hunters are 60-68 and would be among those I'm leaving behind. dad + 2 uncles. =/

our group is 3 radically different generations:

two 17 year olds
three in our 40's
two in our 60's

hard to nail the perfect country to make everyone happy. =/
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 01 22, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Billy Goat wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:

3 of my fellow hunters are 60-68 and would be among those I'm leaving behind. dad + 2 uncles. =/

our group is 3 radically different generations:

two 17 year olds
three in our 40's
two in our 60's

hard to nail the perfect country to make everyone happy. =/

Set a spike camp. Make it a nice one. Base camps are great and to an older hunter seem like the way to go but from there every day requires the effort to get to where the elk are. In a spike camp he only has to go up the hill once to be able to hunt right out the door. At that point he’s hiking less, getting more sleep, and shows up fresh to good hunting areas. He has as good or better odds of killing an elk than anyone. It just requires the investment of some time and effort up front.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro