Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Licenses and tags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Licenses and tags

Postby Lefty » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I purchased all my tags ( except draw hunts) for Idaho. Just over $200.bear deer turky, wolves My
But I also plan to by a Utah fishing.
Apply for Wyoming doe antelope
And put in for Montana Elk

Idaho
SPORTSMAN PACKAGE
ADULT BLACK BEAR
ADULT GENERAL TURKEY
ADULT MTN LION
GRAY WOLF
SPORT PACK GRAY WOLF
ADULT DEER RECEIPT
ADULT ELK RECEIPT
2 - POLE PERMIT
ARCHERY PERMIT
MUZZLELOADER PERMIT
SALMON PERMIT
STEELHEAD PERMIT
MIGRATORY BIRD PERMIT
RESIDENT TRAPPING
ANNUAL ACCESS/DEPREDATION FEE

So what are some of you doing for your sportsman's licenses ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Licenses and tags

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 2]

What? Grey wolf and sport pack Grey wolf, salmon card and separate steelhead card. Don't post that junk here. It will give Oregon more ideas on how to raise revenue from its residents. It already has enough "geniuses" at work on that now.
Yesterday I purchased my combination hunting /fishing license, a cougar tag and a bear tag. The total was $35. I will put in for a draw deer tag and elk tag. As a geezer, I get a good break on the elk tag. They wanted to sell me a shell fish permit. I passed on that and went over and purchased a half case of clam chowder. It was raining when I left Bi-Mart, so it felt about the same as going clam digging, except someone else gutted the clams and made the chowder. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:What? Grey wolf and sport pack Grey wolf, salmon card and separate steelhead card. Don't post that junk here. It will give Oregon more ideas on how to raise revenue from its residents. It already has enough "geniuses" at work on that now.

But am i wrong that oregon does not allow wolf hunting? So wouldnt wolf tags be a great way for oregon to generate revenue? Id love to be able to buy wolf tags in washington. Theyre federally delisted in the eastern third of the state, have been for many years. Its the damn state that protects them. And they always will unfortunately. Be a lot of wolf tags sold though if theyd cut the crap and let us hunt them.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Many years ago, I believe it was in the State of Washington, an old man shot a deer. A game warden saw him shoot it and asked to see his "license". The old guy pulled out his drivers license and showed it to the warden. After looking at the drivers license, the warden started to fill out a ticket to the old man, and told him to go retrieve the deer. The old man said "If you plan to give me a ticket for shooting the deer, you go and retrieve it." Well the deer was near the bottom of a clear-cut cable logging unit. At that, the game warden went down and packed the deer up to the road. When he got back on the logging road, the old guy said, "By the way what kind of a license were you looking for?" The warden replied, "a hunting license, you fool." At that the old guy reached in his wallet and produced a "hunting license".
It was not long after that a tag was required for deer and elk. Even as a kid, I needed nothing special for bear, cougar, upland birds, shellfish, etc. You needed a fishing license and salmon/steelhead tag for those fish. Yesterday, when I bought my license I received a free parking permit. Now I wonder how long they will continue to offer the free parking permits and why do I need one? I can only guess, but what comes to mind all costs money.
A number of years ago, when I lived in Washington, I had a game warden stop me as I was driving down an old dirt road. I was obviously out hunting. I had no deer, but for some reason, that seemed to be just an off handed question, he asked if I had a deer tag. I turned away and looked down on the pickup seat and then I turned back facing him. I said to him, "I have a box of 20 of them here." His whole demeanor turned sour and he did not think I was funny at all. I showed him my real tag right away.
When it comes to wolves, I think it should be like the old days, when you just needed the kind of license the old man had, and the kind of tags I had on the seat. I suppose I would even go so far as to say a drivers license would be adequate for hunting wolves. As far as the Oregon wolf protection goes, I don't know what the real wolf population is, which I suspect puts me on par with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. :)
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Unfortunately, reality being what it is, shooting a wolf here will get your ass strung up by your toenails. Id be all too happy to have the option of spending a few bucks for a license that allowed me to shoot wolves without legal repercussions. Too many people on the landscape and ever decreasing habitat, cant just let any joe schmo with a drivers license go shooting bears etc unchecked and unregulated, wed have nothing left. Hell, even with all the checks and balances salmon and steelhead fishing here is a shadow of its former self, and deer and elk is on the way out. If things were still unregulated to the point of the old days what would be left today? If tags werent required for deer, just a license, how many guys would shoot 2, 3, 10 deer a year? Anytime they got one home without a warden knowing, so 99.99% of the time, they could keep hunting. No tags = no bag limits for all intents and purposes. That just couldnt work. Deer elk etc would be gone by now. Unfortunately a large percentage of the population are selfish immoral dirtbags. A system without tags, basically an honor system, would be abused terribly.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Note: I was very specific when I said;
Swede wrote:When it comes to wolves, I think it should be like the old days, when you just needed the kind of license the old man had, and the kind of tags I had on the seat.
I do not condone breaking the law, period. I would be happy if the wolf could be hunted with a rifle and no tag was required. The Canadian grey wolf is an introduced species, which I would just as soon was gone from the contiguous 48 States.
I have never advocated any game species like deer, bear or elk be hunted without well thought out and effective restrictions. As hunting pressure increases, then the restrictions will need to be adjusted. I do not think we would see the wolf population endangered if hunters were allowed to shoot them with your hunting rifle. I believe it would take traps and poison. Personally, I would be ok with traps, but I don't like poison. Just my opinion. If I am mistaken about that, I am sure of this; I would not be more wrong than the US Fish and Wildlife Service was, when they told us the wolves would stay in the Yellowstone ecosystem. I doubt there were many hunters familiar with game management believed them then, but that what what they peddled to the public.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Im fully on board with wolves being fair game with a general hunting license. Just like coyotes are here. They wont be wiped out. No way. But bears, deer, elk, theres a good reason tags are required and seasons are set. I promise if bears were a no season / no bag limit free for all like coyotes id be killing a lot more than i am now, and a lot of other folks would too. We do need their numbers reduced, but i value having a huntable population on the landscape. Wolves... yeah, we cant wipe them out withput aggressive trapping and poisoning efforts. We could open up wolf rules to match coyote rules tomorrow, and we would never extirpate them.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Whitey, it looks like we totally agree. Thanks.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 9]

To get back on topic, ive bought washington bear / lion / small game licenses for 2021. Never knowing which elk season i may or may not have off, ill wait until it happens to buy my elk tag. Deer im waiting to get a multi season tag. If that doesnt happen ill buy archery tag, so no hurry there either. Still trying to find on the wdfw website where a guy can buy a wolf tag :roll:
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Ill also be buying a general freshwater fishing license before april, when mine becomes worthless, so i can bank fish for trput, smallmouth or whatever may bite on my local rivers and lakes. A trapping license is in my future too, and a moose application. Oh, i bought my bear tag this early because you have to buy a tag to apply for spring bear. Ive only drawn once, in 2016. Sure would be groovy to draw again this year. Ill know in about 2 months.
wawhitey