Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gurus

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gurus

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 1]

How much are you depending on what some guru or number of gurus have taught you, for your hunting success? Are you sure?

To be honest it is probably much more than we would normally like to admit. I started reading Outdoor Life as a kid. I read other hunting magazines as often as I could get my hands on one. I was a lot "luckier" with my hunts than either my dad or brother. I killed more and bigger critters. I was the only one of us that read hunting stories. I read them during study hour at school, when I was supposed to be doing my algebra problems. BTW: I was not very good at algebra. I wonder why?
Later in life I started going on internet forums and reading what hunters had to say. Beyond the magazine articles and the internet, I also had a lot of experience. Most of the things I read were good, but I learned some things the gurus had to say was totally wrong. That was experience. I think the gurus believed what they were saying, but that did not make it so. Experience is a great teacher also. I am glad I had some knowledgeable hunters to read even though my algebra grades suffered. Anyway, I use my hunting skills a lot more than my algebra ones and always have.
Most of the gurus I have read much have blind spots. They know the area and time they hunt. Some are not universal hunting experts. Some are. Some have a broader range than others. Some gurus hunt high percent areas which can make them look better, and some are great shooters that makes them look better than us mere mortals. Still I like reading and hearing what they say, and my hat is off to them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Gurus

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 2]

So you're the one who took all the good magazines out of the barber shops! Father, grandfather, older friends, and oh yes, the Field and Stream and Outdoor Life magazines were all of assistance in my young hunter development. I'd have to say, my first elk hunting guru I really paid attention to and learned from was Glen Berry (Berry Game Calls). I learned a lot about calling (how to make the noises) from watching his old VHS tapes. I still use his calls to this day. Larry D. Jones, Dwight Schuh (RIP), and a few others from the 80s had an impact on my elk tool kit for sure. Experience has arguably been my greatest teacher; there's nothing like being in the thick of things, over and over, year after year, to build up a hunter's tool kit. Most know already, but really one of the biggest "ah ha" moment I believe I've had in my hunting career was when a friend of mine (Conlan/Slim9300) came out to my place quite a few years ago and made me watch Elknut's first DVD series (against my will mind you). Pretty darn eye opening for sure. I will say as with anything, there's always something to learn. A wise man once told me "if you don't learn something new each day, that day is lost". Good thread Swede.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I have followed Larry D. Jones and met with him a couple of times. He was the first elk caller I paid close attention to. Glen Berry is good and so was Dwight Schuh. I have a lot of Elknut's stuff and have talked to him. I like Chuck Adam's writings and take interest in how he does his hunting.
What they had to contribute to our hunting skill is considerable, but I would not allow any of them, or anyone else for that matter, to put their app on my phone. I do not want to even carry the extra weight an app would add. :lol: Anyway, I don't have my phone with me while hunting. I like their writings and videos.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 4]

All "gurus" are going to have blind spots because nobody knows it all. And if somebody is routinely successful while overlooking some key aspect, theyll continue to overlook it because the oversight is being overcome for whatever reason, so the blind spot doesnt effect them and they dont notice or worry about it.
What i really like is how every guy haging around the meatpole, campfire etc is a guru (cant claim that im any different) spouting off nonsense as if its indisputable fact. But what i see is a lot of crap gets passed around as concrete truth just by virtue of being repeated again and again, its a self perpetuating thing. One guy hears 10 other guys speak on a subject with authority so he takes it as solid fact, so he becomes one of the guys speaking with authority on the subject, but he is in the dark as much as all those who spoke said fact to him. A perfect example, i just roll my eyes and dont argue, its not worth it:

"When wolves move in there wont be coyotes because wolves hate coyotes and wipe them out"
Do wolves kill coyotes? They sure do. But look at how huge a wolf packs range is. Now think how many yotes there are there, how many pups born each year in that area. For wolves to wipe coyotes out they would have to be 100% focused on hunting coyotes. Not elk, moose deer, every waking hour that pack would be on coyote duty. Even then i dont think they could do it. The places i hunt that have the heaviest wolf presence are still loaded with coyotes and i frequently find wolf and coyote tracks in the snow right on top of eachother. And just look at idfg's wolf map. If this were true coyotes would be extinct throughout most of idaho. And 95% of the guys repeating this nonsense hardly set foot in the woods after deer / elk season when tracks are obvious. But everybody out there says this, and they say it as if its something they know, rather than something theyre repeating.

Anoher example of "common knowledge" that i personally think is bogus
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 5]

My early days pretty much image those of Swede's ! :o Back then, a few magazines had some so called Gurus that would write about their experiences. Some good advice and some not so good. Todays so called Gurus are the same. Some good advice and some not so good !! But so many of todays Gurus have figured out that a lot of hunters are looking for short cuts for success and are willing to pay for advice, videos, apps, and seminars, equipment, clothing, and what ever.

My advise would be , get out there, spend some time in the woods, burn some shoe leather, and be your own Guru. ;)
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I am reminded that some professional archers advocate a certain brand of bow. They were last year's "world champion", and they want you to believe if you shoot their brand of bow, you will at least be a better shooter. Brand X bow will not make you a better shooter. More practice doing the same thing you always have will not make you a better shooter. You have to learn to shoot better and practice that way.
Some gurus can help, but you need to practice what you learn in the right area, and right time. You know you have learned from your guru if what they taught you becomes instinct, and you can see it on the ground. If you have to check an app, you are not there yet.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 7]

To be honest, I never followed any "gurus" growing up. If there was a guru, it was my Dad. Him and I have been hunting partners since the beginning. I read Outdoor Life, Hunting and Fishing News magazines, FIeld and Stream, Bugle, etc.. and gleaned little bits and pieces of information from them, but most of what I've learned over the years has come from experience. As a much older and experienced hunter, I look back on hunting with Dad as a kid and realize how little we knew. We were growing and learning together. Our ways of hunting now are vastly different than when I was just starting, but we still use some of the same old tactics we did back then, sometimes with success. The area of expertise that I am currently working on is elk calling, and I use multiple avenues and resources to get my information. Most of those were recommended here though, so I guess you guys are my gurus, as sad as that is. :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 8]

7mm is just lucky to have us, so we can straighten out his twisted world. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Tigger-Guru. I like the sound of that!

Of all of the hunting "gurus" there are 2 that I would take advice from in terms of equipment. Our very own Paul Medel, aka Elknut and Randy Newberg. Mostly that is because they use the products harder than I do. But there is also a filter that I apply. That is, does this equipment work for the way I hunt and will it make my hunt better? They also explain why they use it and how it is to be used. I don't use all of their gear, but would give their recommendations a good look before buying. I also have a level of trust that those guys aren't just pushing product. A perfect example is when some guys change like products the old product suddenly sucks and the new product is so much better. Randy just had to pick between OnX and GoHunt. He gave a very good reasoning as to why he went with GoHunt and had nothing but great things to say about OnX. Classy.

The Instagram warriors pushing a product has absolutely no bearing on what I buy. Just checked my Instagram account. I have 80 followers!! I wonder if they think I am a guru and buy all the gear I have. Betting they do. For those that now want to follow me on Instagram, and I am betting there are thousands, PM me and I will give my handle. Or address. or title. or whatever it is called.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Tigger-Guru. I like the sound of that!

Of all of the hunting "gurus" there are 2 that I would take advice from in terms of equipment. Our very own Paul Medel, aka Elknut and Randy Newberg. Mostly that is because they use the products harder than I do. But there is also a filter that I apply. That is, does this equipment work for the way I hunt and will it make my hunt better? They also explain why they use it and how it is to be used. I don't use all of their gear, but would give their recommendations a good look before buying. I also have a level of trust that those guys aren't just pushing product. A perfect example is when some guys change like products the old product suddenly sucks and the new product is so much better. Randy just had to pick between OnX and GoHunt. He gave a very good reasoning as to why he went with GoHunt and had nothing but great things to say about OnX. Classy.

The Instagram warriors pushing a product has absolutely no bearing on what I buy. Just checked my Instagram account. I have 80 followers!! I wonder if they think I am a guru and buy all the gear I have. Betting they do. For those that now want to follow me on Instagram, and I am betting there are thousands, PM me and I will give my handle. Or address. or title. or whatever it is called.

Dang! I have almost 2x as many followers as you do Tigger! Anyone feel free to follow me, @captainrory maybe I'll make guru status yet.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 11]

You knuckleheads don't know the difference between followers, and people that are just keeping an eye out to see what you are up to. :cry:
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:You knuckleheads don't know the difference between followers, and people that are just keeping an eye out to see what you are up to. :cry:

That is actually a very insightful statement Swede, I'm impressed.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Sure is nice to have someone looking over what I do! Whew, didn't know I had that many people looking out for me. Where were they when it came time to haul out my bull???
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Years ago, when I was teaching Sunday School, before they retired and moved, the pastor's wife was always in my class instead of her husband's class. Knowing them, it was apparent that she was there to make sure I did not deviate from their beliefs. I did agree with all of their Bible interpretations, but there was more than enough common ground, that I could teach without commenting on the ground they held so dear.
Tigger your "fans" are not there to help you pack out your critters. They are just ensuring you don't go off the rails somewhere.
P.S. They don't care if you wear Sitka or Fruit of the Loom. :P
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 15]

I was a ferocious reader when younger. As a punk kid of 13 , 14 and 15 I bought my own subscriptions to Guns and Ammo. Mom got us all a handful of outdoor magazines, and Dad traded those for other magazines
And by the time I was 18 I knew it all,.. Out hunted, out shot and trapped anyone I knew :lol:

Then I took trapping instruction from Johny Thorpe ,.. thinking even if this guy gives me a bit of knowledge in a few years the instruction would pay for its self.
He was the best teacher I ever had. He humbled me to learn,.. and learn from everyone.

My dad taught me the traits of hard work and honesty. Gene taught me how to shoot better than ,, well than everyone else :shock:

Ive tried to learn from everyone when ever possible, nearly every situation can be learning experience!

Sitting at a table with a big time trapper, someone asked how he caught so many mink( and fish) .
"One at a time just like everyone else"

Ill head a bit sideways into Swedes post about teaching Sunday School, I now recognize Gods hand in so many more things when a girl just made a simple and very powerful soft-spoken statement.

If I started listing names I would forget someone. But often those moments with a stranger can open doors
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 16]

DSCN0491.JPG

This is Blizzard the travel pillow. He is reviewing the manuscript for the book he is writing. He loves camping with his grandpa (me). He and my wife are my only fans. Did you know that "fan" is short for fanatic?
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote: Did you know that "fan" is short for fanatic?

We can even learn something from Swede 8-)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H