Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One of My Favorite Hunt Plans EVER

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One of My Favorite Hunt Plans EVER

Postby Indian Summer » 12 26, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I sold this plan the first year or 2 that Headin West Hunt Consulting was in business. To this day it still stands out as one of my favorites. The link goes to a thread he posted on Bowsite. David had posted a previous thread asking if anyone thought he could pull of an elk hunt in the middle of a family vacation. A few people suggested places that he might be able to squeeze in a few days of hunting. Lots of people said no way.... an elk hunt is a serious commitment and it would probably be best if he did that at another time. I looked at it as a challenge and an opportunity to put my services to the test. A few important .... very important pieces of information about Dave's criteria... he only had 6 days to get into his area, find a bull, kill one and get it out. That's the easy part believe it or not. The tough part is he didn't want to leave his family behind. He wanted to take his wife and kids into the back country. His wife was very nice as well as capable. But the kids.... ALL THREE OF THEM.... were all UNDER SIX YEARS OLD!!! I had to scratch my head for a minute but then the light bulb came on. I had what I really felt was a doable plan for this guy.

I've seen hunts where two grown men with all the planning and physical abilities necessary couldn't handle a back country hunt. This guy was about to try to accomplish what many would think was the impossible. This thread is 6 years old so unfortunately the pictures David included in his story are no longer viewable. The place I sent him was beautiful country and I had what I hoped to be the perfect plan for him to be able to get his whole family in and out miles from the road. It included an adequate place for his wife and 6 young kids to be comfortable and content so he could be with them but also be right in the middle of some great elk hunting. I had faith in Dave and he had faith in me. It was on! As you'll see in the first few posts he was able to get on multiple bulls before they even packed into the back country. That was a great way to build his confidence and he was ready to take the plunge. My handle on Bowsite by the way is Mule Power... so you'll know who he is referring to and which posts are mine. To me this is a very inspiring story. The thread is appropriately titled "6 Days......3 Kids Under 6...1 Bull" Enjoy!

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/ ... ES=51&FF=5
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: One of My Favorite Hunt Plans EVER

Postby Indian Summer » 12 26, 2020 •  [Post 2]

As you have probably already guessed David was successful in killing a bull. A pretty nice one at that!
Attachments
D56FB2C8-F21B-4F44-9804-144AAAE15255.jpeg
D56FB2C8-F21B-4F44-9804-144AAAE15255.jpeg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 12 26, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I read the story. He had a great hunt with a sad ending. I can share that feeling of loss. It happens sometimes. I wonder when he will get to go back.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I quite enjoy these stories!!!!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 12 26, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I read the story. He had a great hunt with a sad ending. I can share that feeling of loss. It happens sometimes. I wonder when he will get to go back.

Probably never Swede. It was just a part of a long family vacation that year. They go someplace different every year. So that plan is for sale!
Indian Summer