Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY Hunt Plans... Speed Up Your Learning Curve!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY Hunt Plans... Speed Up Your Learning Curve!

Postby Indian Summer » 12 08, 2020 •  [Post 1]

You do realize that 2021 is just around the corner right? Idaho already had a round of license sales. By the end of next month the Wyoming application deadline will have come and gone. Then Montana and Colorado. Of course before you apply for a license you have to know where you are hunting right!

So where are you hunting? New spot since the old one didn’t make your dreams come true? Same spot as before even though you struck out there? I know “Next year is the year!” Or do you even have an “old spot”? Maybe you’re new to elk hunting and your head is spinning thinking about who what where when and with what gear.

I’m busy this time of year. PMs and emails are pretty steady with guys interested in talking about the Wyoming and Montana diy hunt plans I have available.

It gets me thinking when I hear what they have to say. To back up a bit.... Luke Kessler just posted the story from his hunt this year. He and I had talked for close to 5 years about a plan that would suit him. He booked an outfitted hunt in Montana. Hunted several seasons in Colorado with some very generous help from Vince (Saddlesore). Each year we’d talk but he had unfinished business in Colorado. I knew he was a solid guy who has what it takes to get it done so I was really excited about sending him to Wyoming. He showed up to his area mid day and before that day ended he drew his bow on a bull and spotted several others. That’s in an area totally new to him other than a quick scouting trip in August.

I have two guys set up with a plan for 2021. Their scenario is a really common one. 4 or 5 years ago they inquired about a plan. They had a group of 4. Two of them were all about buying a plan. The other two figured they were pretty good deer hunters and could probably get on some elk after a few days. So they thanked me for my time and passed on the plan. This summer I got a text saying we need to talk. The two guys who wanted the plan hadn’t given up. They’d been hunting Colorado every year since I last talked to them. They hadn’t killed an elk. Their other two buddies gave up after the first year. By now they had some experience. They had gear. They definitely had motivation. They had preference points for licenses. They also had a whole new perspective of the value of a detailed hunting plan in a great area. This time they didn’t ask very many questions at all. The area they will be hunting is perfect for them. I am confident that not only will they see plenty of elk including bulls but also that they will kill at least one and possibly even two. They are in an either sex area so I know they can kill two elk if one is a cow. I really like hunters like them because it won’t take long once they get there before they look at each other and say “Holy crap Toto we’re not in Kansas anymore!” They will really appreciate their plan and I know they are going to put it to good use. I love that!

There are times when I sell plans to hunters the very first time I talk to them. When that happens they usually start with “We’ve been hunting elk (usually in Colorado) for 3-5 years now with little to no luck and we’re ready to move on”. We talk and before long the check is in the mail.

If a guy emails me and says “Me and a few buddies are planning our first elk hunt and I heard about you on the internet” I say to myself there’s a 50/50 chance at best that these guys will buy a plan. Why? Because they have no clue how big elk country is and how hard it can be just to find elk. Elk that aren’t spooked and surrounded by an orange army. If they decide not to buy a plan it doesn’t phase me at all. I smile to myself and wish them good luck. I know that if they stick with elk hunting there’s a good chance they’ll be back in touch. To be honest I prefer hunters with at least one elk hunt under their belt. It’s much easier for them to grasp exactly what the plan is all about and I know they’ll utilize it way better than a totally new elk hunter. They’ll be happier clients. As we all know elk hunting isn’t for everyone so new guys who aren’t cut out for it might think I’m an idiot for sending them on a death mission. :lol:

So what about you and your hunting partners... do you have a plan? Are you confident with it? While I agree it’s all about the fun and making memories I think the memories are better with elk quarters hanging and a big set of antlers leaning up against a tree instead of riding home with empty coolers and unpunched tags. So if you have any questions and would like to talk about a hunt plan let me know. Now is the time to get all of your questions answered. You have time to talk it over with partners, call back with more questions, and take your time making a decision.

Good luck in the draws and with your hunting wherever you go!

Happy Holidays!
Joe Ferraro
Headin’ West Hunt Consulting
Wapiti Talk Sponsor
http://www.headinwest.net
Email: headingwestelk@gmail.com
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: DIY Hunt Plans... Speed Up Your Learning Curve!

Postby Swede » 12 08, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I had at least 20 years of hit and miss hunting before I had a plan worked out that was reliable enough for me to confidently say I will most likely get an elk, and if I don't it was not ignorance that got in the way. I lived and worked in the forests of the northwest most of my life. I read and studied hunting as much as I could. It was not enough to be a quick success.
Not only is elk country huge, the elk move miles, sometimes in a day. And if that is not enough, there are not that many elk out there. There is probably about one elk on every 5,000 acres, calculated by dividing the approximate elk habitat acres in a unit by the management objective numbers of elk for that unit. But it is not that simple. The elk usually run in herds, so if there are ten elk per herd you will have one herd per 50,000 acres. A disproportionate number of elk are on ranches which are out of bounds for us. With experience hunters mingling with the inexperienced there is a great disparity in success.
I guestimate 5%-7% of the hunters get about 1/2 of the elk killed and the remainder are split between the other 93%-95% of the hunters. I do not know if new combers and semi-experienced elk hunters think a plan would be worth it or not. I have never asked Joe what he charges for a plan, but I think I would be more than happy to purchase one if I could get back 20+ years of tough and frustrating hunting, that I put in before there was such a thing as a hunting plan delivered in the mail. Just a thought. Another thing I can say with confidence is that I would rather have a good hunt plan that a new bow or even a bugle and a calling cook book. You will be farther ahead knowing the elk in an area and where to go, than you will being able to make the perfect calls.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Some great info and histories from both of you.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I was extremely lucky . Being an easterner, (Minnesotan) I married an Idaho gal. My first elk hunt was as a non resident in Montana.
My father in law set the first hunt up. I was in camp with some real rifle elk killers. The evenings eating supper was always a learning experience. And I really didn't know I needed to have "plan" Even with some great help, some real elk hunters and internet mentors.
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Swede.... interestingly it took me almost the same amount of time before I was walking out of camp every morning totally confident that I knew where to find bulls and that it could easily be the day I punched my tag.

Can you imagine if we had been able to buy a plan that handed us everything we needed to know. I would have jumped on it! I spent thousands on my first two hunts alone and didn’t kill or learn a thing! We didn’t even have the internet! No Google Earth. No onXmaps. No GPSs for cryin out loud. Paper maps and slow shooting bows. Haha. My how times have changed.

By the way I saw a new gadget you might be interested in being a treestand hunter. I’ll post it in the gear forum.
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 6]

you guys are old. :shock:
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:you guys are old. :shock:

Old Guys Rule
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Joe, it was different back then. We thought the essence of successful hunting was being in elk country, hunting hard, and being lucky. If we saw fresh sign, we were close. We went to areas that had elk, and worked hard all day. I am convinced the with a little research, most of which is available right here on W.T., and a good plan; a complete novice will have a solid chance the first time out.
It is a simple equation: 20 years on your own or get help to shorten the learning curve.
You are completely right about needing to be in elk to learn elk. Wandering around looking for elk does not count for much.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:I am convinced the with a little research, most of which is available right here on W.T., and a good plan; a complete novice will have a solid chance the first time out.

I can confirm that. I have sent many hunters who had never been west of Cleveland or saw a live elk in their life on hunts where they’ve killed bulls. I don’t think that some of them are as impressed by that as I am. They’re like “yep got one thanks” Meanwhile I think back to what it took to get to that point and I’m like “Wow man that’s freakin awesome I knew you could do it! I’m so glad I could help. Wow!” The magnitude of what they accomplished seems to move me more than some of them.

I like the calls from the guys who hunted a few times and never had a shot opportunity. They’re more like “I cannot thank you enough. I’ve waited for years for this!!! Finally!“ We’ll talk for an hour and about the things they learned and what they have in mind for their next hunt. I enjoy what I do and I know those guys will never forget me. I was a part of their kill. It’s almost like I was there.Pretty cool.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I can't post much anymore.Too hard to type and other medical problems now. I will say though that the main problem today as I see it with new hunters, is they want to rely too much on all the high tech gadgets"ONX, GPS, cameras set up to watch an area, tactical turrets on scopes,rangefinders,the latest elk call, etc.They never take time to learn basic woods craft . They don't know why elk are where they are at, why they are not, what they do,where they go. They don't take time to get to know area and think if they walk 20 miles in a day,they should have seen elk. Everything has to be given to them.

Joe offers a good service and I applaud him on capitalizing on it. However, it proves that these newer hunters want someone to mark and X on a map and then expect an elk to be standing on that X. Sure it takes a few years to get it all figured out, but having it given to you does not educate you on how to get it.It is like having an outfitter and guide do everything, pack in the camp,set it up, figure out all the gear/supplies one needs, find the elk and point you at it. Then the next year,you figure you don't need those guys anymore and go a DYI route. Big surprise, no elk, uncomfortable camp and you half way starve.

How many X's can you put on maps before you run out of them. I hunted elk in Colorado for about 35 years, I just can't do much of it anymore.. Granted, I haven't hunted every square mile, but I do know several good places to hunt and know of many that I would not send anyone too. I have helped a few hunters by showing or telling them about such areas,but they are fast getting used up.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Great to hear from you Vince!! I hope year health straightens out so you can help us tease Swede. He is getting awfully big for his britches and we could use your help!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 12]

It is good to see you post again Saddlesore. You make some excellent points on this matter. I am assuming Joe has the combined experience and knowledge of his own plus the guides that have worked for him. I could probably point to 100+ good tree stand locations where a person would have a good opportunity to kill an elk if they were patient and persisted.
I look at what Joe offers is a guided hunt without the guide. You are not paying for someone else to make camp, cook or pack out game. You are on your own for that. Another advantage is that you can return the following season(s) without angering an outfitter.

And Tigger is right on two points. He needs help alright, and I have been losing a little weight. My trousers are getting a little loose.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I've spent more money in tags, gas, etc.. I spent years researching how to, reading everyone's hunt stories, wishing I had a story, Over 14 years I really thought I had it figured it out! Only to head home with nothing! I can't do it anymore, period! I'm so excited to have the opportunity to have success!
I pray 2021 will be the beginning of being successful, also to see a big herd ill be able to stalk, will be the start of learning how to hunt, because there's elk! Thank you Joe not sure how much joy this brings me!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Tigger » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 14]

best of luck to you shootergirl. But one tiny thing caught my eye. I don't like a big herd to stalk. Lots of eyes, ears, and noses to bust you. Give me a loner or just a handful to stalk and I am a happy camper.

Ever hunted geese? Try calling in a large flock....pretty tough unless you are an expert. A loner? Easy peasy. Even Swede could call in a loner goose!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I do not know anything about stalking or calling a goose, but Tigger is right on the money about big herds unless you have excellent cover. The problem is if you have great cover, they often do also. Tigger; how do you call a goose? "Here goose, goose goose."
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Thank you Tigger, and everyone for your words of wisdom! I love to hunt, I feel so alive! The woods is a peaceful place. I love to hunt mushrooms to, it helps me polish of my strength, mobility. It's frustrating when I run into monster size game without a tag, I hope that luck goes with me when I have a tag!
Ill be working my gun loads,, my shooting, as this gun is new and I don't have a lot time shooting it!
But that will change.
lilshootergirl

Postby Tigger » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Swede, Ask Lefty, he can call in geese. But yes, standing up in a field while waving your arms and shouting "Here goosey goosey" is bound to work well for you.

Shootergirl, never stalked or called in a mushroom personally, so I wouldn't know about how to go about that. Swede might, as mushrooms seem more his pace!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 18]

I don't mean to stir the pot here. And you can hunt any way you so choose. That's entirely up to you. To each his own! And if you have a little extra jingle that's burning a hole in you pocket, a guided hunt just might be the thing for you to do.

But just my personal thoughts as a former guide: You pay the outfitter your money. The guide does the actual hunting for you. You are just a tag along and the trigger man.

Now here is the advantage to a guided hunt: You can learn from the guide some things that may speed up your learning curve. And the more you learn, the better hunter you will become and the quicker you'll be able to try it on your own.

And I'll almost guarantee you, that first cow you get on your own will mean just as much , if not more, than any bull you ever got on a guided hunt.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2020 •  [Post 19]

I don't think you are "stirring the pot" WW. I agree. If you can afford a guided fair chase hunt with a guide that is willing to share some of what they know. It should be relatively easy to determine if you are going to have that kind of experience before you start. I suspect if I went hunting with you, I would learn some things and we would have a great time. We have hunted different areas, used different techniques and have had different experiences. Sitting around a campfire and talking about those things would be enlightening and fun.

I killed a duck one time. I was a teen dinking along the river that flowed behind our house. I saw a flock of ducks fly down and land. I snuck through some trees and behind some bushes. From there I threw a golf ball sized rock at one. Wouldn't you know it? I hit the bird and it did not get up. I retrieved it which was my second mistake that fine summer morning. I took it home and started cleaning it. It took me as long to clean that bird as it would to butcher an elk. Since that time I have had no interest in hunting waterfowl. I don't even have a waterfowl stamp or whatever you are supposed have. I saw several herds of Canadian geese in the fields between home and town today. I like Canadians just fine, but that is one thing I would just as soon they kept in Canada. :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 20]

I don't usually like to hi-jack a thread. But, it's been pretty dead around here for awhile so what the heck!!!!

I enjoyed Swedes duck hunting story and it brought back some memories: Now I'm not a duck hunter. However I did get one (the only one) I ever got.

Like Swede, I was just a teenie bopper when I got my one and only mallard. I was coon hunting one cold wintery night with my brother in law Gene when we came upon a farm pond that had a small flock of mallards that were settled in for the evening. Gene decided one of those ducks might make a good meal so he whipped out his old H&R 22 revolver and took a shot. Well, he wasn't a very good shot. But, he got close enough scare them into getting up. As they took to wing, I kept my old 6 cell coon lite on one of them. I guess the lite must have blinded him because the silly bird did a head on collision with big old black walnut tree and broke his neck.

And that's how I got my one and only duck and I didn't even fire a shot. But it did speed up my learning curve. I learned that ducks can't see well after dark if you shine a spot lite in their eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby CMF » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 21]

This is the first I've heard of DIY hunt plans. It sounds interesting and I'll shoot you an email for more info.

My 2021 plan so far is to get Montana combo deer/elk tags for me and the wife. We got a point last year and should be able to draw this year, buying the point before. I'm thinking of flying up to spring bear hunt with my 12yo daughter and scout elk for Sept, but nothing set yet. Then driving up to MT for two weeks in September, from MS to hunt elk and mule deer.

We first hunted elk in NM in 2019 and killed. We hunted elk in CO this year and didn't kill, but got within 100yds of bugling bulls several times. both archery
CMF

Postby Indian Summer » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 22]

I replied to your email. Sorry to say I cannot help you. The deer permits where I hunt are extremely hard to draw so no elk/deer combos. Also no baiting for bears in Montana and glassing is limited so killing a bear is low odds. Wouldn’t want you to be unhappy with what I could offer for a hunt like that. Good luck!
Indian Summer

Postby lilshootergirl » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I have to say, I wish I would have contacted Joe 4 years ago, my problem is I can't find where the elk are!
I've been given bad advice, and I have tried really hard to do exactly what advice I was given with failure, so i'd rather pay for a plan from someone who knows the area, where the elk are, then wasting thousands of dollars on disappointments, year after year. Well worth the wait to get my points, and finally go kill HANK and fill my freezer, and learn a lot. PThanks Joe
lilshootergirl

Postby Tigger » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Big Hank? You have been watching Randy Newberg videos! Good for you, he is a great guy and you can learn a lot from him.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 25]

lilshootergirl wrote:I have to say, I wish I would have contacted Joe 4 years ago, my problem is I can't find where the elk are!
I've been given bad advice, and I have tried really hard to do exactly what advice I was given with failure, so i'd rather pay for a plan from someone who knows the area, where the elk are, then wasting thousands of dollars on disappointments, year after year. Well worth the wait to get my points, and finally go kill HANK and fill my freezer, and learn a lot. PThanks Joe

You are about as motivated as a hunter can be. You have some prior experience hiking around in the mountains. Your name suggests that you can hit what you’re aiming at. Lol You should do well Jonni. I know you’ll see elk. I know you’ll see bulls.

One of the things that gives me confidence is that you are going over in the summer to get a look at your area. That is HUGE. Just seeing the spot where you will camp is a good thing. But being comfortable in familiar country from day one of a hunt is much better than hunting it blind. You could connect on day 1 because you at least knew where you wanted to be at first light.

Actually I know where you should be on the morning of day one so you can get straight to learning your way there on your scouting trip. Take a range finder when you go scouting to help pick out exactly where you want to sit. Get a good gun rest and do your best to be able to shoot as far as you can.

Do you have tire chains for your truck???
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Lil Shooter Girl you have a big long email to read. I finally settled on an area for you. It’s one of my personal favorites. As a matter of fact if they cancel my Canada bear hunt this year you just might see me camped there if that tells you anything. Elk will die! ;)
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Indian Summer wrote:
lilshootergirl wrote:I have to say, I wish I would have contacted Joe 4 years ago, my problem is I can't find where the elk are!

You are about as motivated as a hunter can be. You have some prior experience hiking around in the mountains. Your name suggests that you can hit what you’re aiming at. Lol You should do well Jonni. I know you’ll see elk. I know you’ll see bulls.
One of the things that gives me confidence is that you are going over in the summer to get a look at your area. That is HUGE. Just seeing the spot where you will camp is a good thing. But being comfortable in familiar country from day one of a hunt is much better than hunting it blind. You could connect on day 1 because you at least knew where you wanted to be at first light.
Actually I know where you should be on the morning of day one so you can get straight to learning your way there on your scouting trip. Take a range finder when you go scouting to help pick out exactly where you want to sit. Get a good gun rest and do your best to be able to shoot as far as you can.
Do you have tire chains for your truck???

Most of you are aware, but killing an elk ( or goose isnt my only goal or expectation.
lilshootergirl. Ill agree you've gone too long. I cant believe Im using this analogy,.. but enjoy the Journey. While I put a lot of satisfaction wrapping my hands around horns for a pic, or a big toothy grin with a brace of of fowl or years back a pickup bed of fur. There is so much more, for me anyway.
When it comes right to that moment Ive passed, some people it drives them nuts.

Im with all who rejoice and celebrate those moments what ever the game becomes theirs. I know those in your situation will truly appreciate their first even more so with all the extra effort, And it sounds like Joe has done a good job of getting you an elk
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Tigger wrote:best of luck to you shootergirl. But one tiny thing caught my eye. I don't like a big herd to stalk. Lots of eyes, ears, and noses to bust you. Give me a loner or just a handful to stalk and I am a happy camper.
Ever hunted geese? Try calling in a large flock....pretty tough unless you are an expert. A loner? Easy peasy. Even Swede could call in a loner goose!

How ever a good plan with huge numbers can work for you no matter how many. Now I prefer and make the choice to go after the single bull. The small flock of geese. But there is a wow factor inside 50 100 150 350 head of elk. just like hundreds of geese ,, they get stupid, dependent on the rest of the herd to alarm.
But yeah that single goose, that single calve, that single rag horn,,, they are looking for friends and become "Easy peasy"
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Lefty wrote:And it sounds like Joe has done a good job of getting you an elk

I’m doing my best. I don’t guide and I can’t pull the trigger for my hunters but I am confident they have a solid plan in an area with good elk hunting.
Indian Summer

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 30]

Yes, I've watched all randy newbergs video, i've picked up a lot of great tips, but if you have a friend, buddy , a brother, Dad that will take you along that's great! As a women I don't have those people to show me the ropes, so if I have to pay to help me be successful why not? People my age arnt retired, or have a good retirement plan. Also Wyoming is really far to make a day trip to scout! So I think it's money well spent, like I said I've wasted enough money & travel time!
I've already looked over the area, using onx & Google earth, love the terrain.
As far as my shooting ability I think I'm a great shot, I shoot almost everyday, I believe picking up a gun 2 weeks before your hunt starts is crazy, yeah, I know most of you have been hunting for 30 plus years, i've seen a lot of wounding shots, rifle, bow. That kills me to see a animal suffer.
Anyway i'm excited to make great memories, and put meat in the freezer!
lilshootergirl

Postby Tigger » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 31]

I am sure Joe has you set up well. I cannot wait to read about your successful harvest this fall! I love to watch Randy's videos to get me excited for the year to come as he does such a nice job.
Tigger

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 32]

You selling places to hunt is literally the reason I stopped visiting this site.
Joe Schmo

Postby 7mmfan » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 33]

That's to bad.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 34]

Joe Schmo wrote:You selling places to hunt is literally the reason I stopped visiting this site.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Indian Summer is an advertising sponsor on WapitiTalk as well as a solid contributor on hunting tactics (as he has been for many, many years). Our sponsors have the latitude to post about their various products, services provided, seasonal sales, etc., as they wish. Members certainly have the latitude to participate, or, not participate in any thread they wish and support or not support any of our sponsor products/services. I only ask that if a member decides to participate in a discussion/thread they are interested in, they keep it positive, constructive, and informative. I believe that is what makes WapitiTalk a bit different from some of the other hunting forums. Thanks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2021 •  [Post 35]

I see no real difference between Indian Joe selling a hunt plan, than in using a public land outfitter/guide, except you have to do all of the ground work. No one holds your hand and butchers your critter with joe's plans.
I think all of us here are giving or gathering information on hunting. We may do it to improve our chances at success, or at least the enjoyment of the hunt. Just like Joe's plans, the game here is to help people become more successful hunters.
I have hunted around some sore heads that just hate to see anyone else get game. It really caused them pain when they knew someone out did them. I don't see things that way.
I still remember, with much regret, a season when I became convinced a man had to be tailing me. He came around camp and was showing me all on my tree stand locations. I had spent years locating and preparing them, and out of the blue he knows them, and has his equipment at some. After some discussion I discovered that he had purchased one of my books, and soon believed he was in the the exact area the author had written about. He introduced himself and asked if I was that author. To make a long story short, he had used the information I sold him as a guide to improve his hunt. I felt very ashamed of myself for nearly spoiling what has become a good relationship.
My advise is not to worry about someone giving advise, and that is what Indian Summer is doing, and just determine to make the best of your own hunt.
Swede