Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Personal Quirk, Moral Compass, Hunting Choices

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Personal Quirk, Moral Compass, Hunting Choices

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 24, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What is/are some of your personal choices/quirks that you have which seem perhaps a bit different than your hunting partners or the general consensus of hunters in the field? I’m not talking legal vs. illegal (or vice/versa) activities, just something you do or don’t do while in the field that is/are a bit of a departure from the norm in the eyes of others.
Example: “I won’t shoot a bedded deer because in my mind….; I never use camo clothing during archery season because….; I won’t shoot a sitting duck because….; I never shoot cows/does because….; etc.”
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hunting Personal Quirk, Moral Compass, Hunting Choices

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2020 •  [Post 2]

The only really quirky thing I can think of is I never use toilet paper while camping and hunting. I used you buy a sandwich in town two or three times a week and the restaurant put far more napkins in my take out sack than I used at the time, so I just saved them. I stored them in those Subway sacks and collected them. I know it's weird. If you go hunting with me and don't bring your own toilet paper, and ask me for some, you will be offered a couple of Subway napkins. You can use them or a bush. Suit yourself.
I also think I have far more patience and perseverance than the vast majority of hunters. That may or may not be quirky, but it has been productive.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 11 24, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Methinks Swede is sandbagging. I bet he could write a novel on this!

I have a fear that sometime I will park the truck, get out, get ready, take one step and there will be a monster buck, bull, etc standing looking at me and in a position for an easy shot. I do NOT want to shoot a big one that way. I want any big one I shoot to be through effort and a great overall hunt, not a cheapy. Pheasant hunting there are plenty of opportunities at cheap ones and I don't take the shot.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 11 24, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Mine have certainly evolved over the years. I used to be an overly confident shooter. I could hit tiny targets when practicing so I could do it in the woods too right? I think that started early because my first deer was shot on the run, right through the boiler room. Thought I was invincible. Then I went like 5 years in a row where I missed more than I hit. Took me until my 20's to learn to settle down and be realistic. I could have shot a bull this year at 520 yards, a range I've practiced at and know I can hit my target, but I wasn't 100% comfortable with the conditions and situation, so I passed. I had a nice buck at about 150 yards broadside, this year as well, but I had no rest and when holding freehand, I couldn't get settled in a way that I was comfortable with, so I passed. Anyway, all of that said, I take shots I'm confident I will make, and don't take shots that are questionable. Long story short, it's not a quirk, but it's a moral compass of mine to only take shots I'm 100% confident I will make.

I don't have a thing about shooting does or young bucks, I've done both in the last few years. It has to feel right though. I wouldn't shoot a doe with young fawns if it can be avoided. I won't shoot a young buck just to fill a tag anymore, I rarely need meat that badly. I will still shoot a quail out of a tree now and then, but not on the ground. Why? Don't know. I like stalking ducks and shooting the first one off the water, ducks are harder to stalk than most give them credit for.

I also try to not hunt places where herds are struggling. Not because I don't think I can be successful there, I'm sure I could still find a buck to kill, but because I hope the 4 or 5 bucks I don't kill over a few years will help that population recover some. Trying to make more of an effort be considerate of the bigger picture, than just my selfish needs.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2020 •  [Post 5]

You guy got me to thinking more on this. I don't shoot cows with calves until after early September. I have never shot a calf or fawn. I do not need to fill my tag that bad. I don't shoot over 40 yards as that is my limit. I may soon lower that if my shooting skill declines at all.
I know it has to be different on the web, but I don't like to laugh at my own jokes or the stunts I pull. I go on as if nothing happened until I get busted. Then I admit my miscreant behavior. Usually.
I got more of a kick out of triggering the Fox Pro elk bugle one night while talking with RJ and his friend. Listening to RJ discussing where the bull crossed the road was even more fun for me. I am glad he has a good sense of humor.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I had a long list going,and my wife's computer timed and logged me out loosing everything I had written when I hit submit .
I have by many peoples standards some funky quirks.
I dont mess up others hunts even if they deserve it,.
Im willing to loose the day hunting to help someone in need
Im kind of a jerk about others driving in closed areas,Maybe thats why there was only one guy on an atv up the trail . OK I did give the hunter from New Jersey a break

My senses of fair chase by some is extreme.
I enjoy the challenge of getting close and swapping out a kill shot for an experience. While I'm not a trophy hunter I will pass on game while in the moment.
I've traded in rifle elk hunting for archery.
I've passed on shots to give others an opportunity.
I seem to like two in the bush ( 5 feet away( better than one in the hand. But then I'm hunting longer that day, that week, or season,
I'll pay for now some gimmes: I've passed on beyond passing on cows and spikes,.
A bedded bull moose at 35 yards from the road, just seemed wrong
And deer close or in camp my goodness. Another pass
The past few years finding the herd. Then backing out hoping my daughter could show for a hunt

Oh the time I had a well over 6x6 bull at 20 yards and I waited on my daughter To shoot the bull at 7 yards in front, of her.

Goose hunting I like to kill multiples which means good shooting position for me and the birds feet down and 16-25 yards in front feet down
I am a freack about safety and legalities. While many people kind of ignore group hunting waterfowl,..You shoot your birds Ill shoot mine,..And the hunts over cause were not burning my field.

And ducks I dont care if your shootng at passing birds at 90 yards. Im entertained by your waste

And the dozenes of times I ve traded great locations for an experience
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby hibernation » 11 27, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I don't like to laugh at my own jokes or the stunts I pull

If I don't laugh at my own jokes, then who will?
hibernation

Postby Marble » 11 29, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I have no tolerance for drunkenness during hunt camp. I like a few drinks in the evening, but if you get drunk then I won't hunt with you again most likely.

I get very irritated when people are unprepared, missing gear or are unorganized and cause huge delays. Mistakes happen i get it and I'm no exception. But a pattern is what I'm talking about.

Not thinking ahead a couple steps to be ready for it when it comes your way.

I understand there are some in camp less serious than me and that's okay. But don't prevent me from doing what I need to do for my hunt.

Give it all you've got. 100 percent effort please.
Marble

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2020 •  [Post 9]

hibernation wrote:If I don't laugh at my own jokes, then who will?

I have plenty of jokes like that too.

Marble you brought out some things that are worthy of some reflection. I agree.
I don't care if someone else is less serious. That is a personal decision, but I don't like a habitual complainer. I have been on hunts where one person seems to be constantly complaining about one thing or another. It is the weather, other hunters, the game commission, forest management, etc. Sometimes that person is behaving outside of their normal character, but something is bothering them. If that is the case then I will just accept it. If it appears to be habitual, I will hunt without them the next opportunity.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 29, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Marble wrote:I have no tolerance for drunkenness during hunt camp. .

I had fellows show up on a goose field finishing up last nights partying,..didnt hunt with them that morning( 5 minute goose limits that day) and haven't since.

In many ways I was/ am inpatient. The sun keeps rising, the game goes to bed and dont be late, I may give you a minute if you haven't called.
Sort of a big pet-peeve.
Others shouldnt be waiting because you didnt get readytime on

When I was teaching I was not the teacher who repeated the instruction during class time for those that came in late. Stay after class or after school for what you missed, othesr don't need to sit through it because of their situation.
Only a handful of first time offender privileged kids had a tough time with wasted man hours ( 35 students, multiplied by 5,10, 15, 20 minutes, 12 hours,.. not happening) you
Being laet is on you

Im brutally honest , I communicate expectations clearly with guys. You want to hunt with me, be on time( or early). Minutes late ill be gone,

"The sun keeps rising,"
I find excuses annoying, A real reason could be OK

But back to hunting choices I would rather hunt in more isolated back country than have hunts interrupted by screw up hunters. I also find the more hardcore hunters much more cordial to hunt around
Lefty

Postby Marble » 11 30, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:
Marble wrote:I have no tolerance for drunkenness during hunt camp. .

I had fellows show up on a goose field finishing up last nights partying,..didnt hunt with them that morning( 5 minute goose limits that day) and haven't since.

In many ways I was/ am inpatient. The sun keeps rising, the game goes to bed and dont be late, I may give you a minute if you haven't called.
Sort of a big pet-peeve.
Others shouldnt be waiting because you didnt get readytime on

When I was teaching I was not the teacher who repeated the instruction during class time for those that came in late. Stay after class or after school for what you missed, othesr don't need to sit through it because of their situation.
Only a handful of first time offender privileged kids had a tough time with wasted man hours ( 35 students, multiplied by 5,10, 15, 20 minutes, 12 hours,.. not happening) you
Being laet is on you

Im brutally honest , I communicate expectations clearly with guys. You want to hunt with me, be on time( or early). Minutes late ill be gone,

"The sun keeps rising,"
I find excuses annoying, A real reason could be OK

But back to hunting choices I would rather hunt in more isolated back country than have hunts interrupted by screw up hunters. I also find the more hardcore hunters much more cordial to hunt around

Good God Lefty, i dont know how old you are but that sounds like me. Maybe slightly more cantankerous...

I have 3 daughters. Two are downright killers. The third has just no interest.

They taught me patience.

They also taught me to not expect someone to perform something you're teaching them, that you've been doing for decades, as well as you. Pretty simple huh. Well I'm hard headed and it took a lot of hurt feelings for me to learn how each learns.

As a boss, I think my biggest pet peeve is having an employee with little to no sense of urgency or visible drive that shows their desire. If my hunting partner lacks that, ill still hunt with him, but maybe a little more solo.
Marble

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 01, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I too am a bit of a freak about the game laws and hunter safety.

I used to water swat ducks with no qualms about it, but this year I found myself waiting till they'd jumped off the water properly. Once you get good with a shotgun, even jump shooting feels like too easy a shot. Maybe I'll stop jumping birds altogether? Nah, I like eating duck too much for that!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 01, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I may be a little late, but just wanted to shout out a big w(ELK)ome to hibernation and Marble ..................

Haven't noticed either of you guys on here before. It's always good to see new members.
>>>---WW---->

Postby hibernation » 12 02, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Thanks! Lots of good information and experience on here. I've only been hunting elk a few years now, looking forward to picking up some pointers and picking everyone's brain a little. Or at least killing time thinking about elk when I should be working.
hibernation

Postby Lefty » 12 02, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Marble
Born 1958
3 daughters .
I would like to thinkI been patient with my expectations for my daughters and students.
I do lack patience and willing to call out liers and slackers

Life is too short

Lefty