Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who Is Planning For 2021?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who Is Planning For 2021?

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Indian Summer and a few others are still out hunting. Here at home I am thinking and planning for 2021. I am hoping to return to the area I elk hunted this recent season. It is a good location, but I think I can improve on my stand locations, and where I am waiting in ambush. I am optimistic I can do well there.
To help myself, I am losing a little weight. I want to take off another 10 pounds. I also want to have my bow serviced with a new cable and string. I do not need to buy anything I can think of.
Are you planning your 2021 elk hunt yet and if so, what changes are you working on if any?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Who Is Planning For 2021?

Postby Tigger » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 2]

My daughter wants to go really bad and I would like to take her but our archery spots will not work for her during gun season. So I have no idea where to bring her. Mt or WY. She has 5 points in WY. But honestly, I am at a loss for where to start other than pouring over state websites and starting the process. She doesnt want to hunt where there are griz so that limits us somewhat.

as for archery, I dont know what will happen there either. A couple guys have conflicts next year.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I haven't even left for 2020 yet and I'm already planning 2021.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I’m planning 2021 as we speak. Hunting is scouting as long as you hunt the same area every year. Saw a herd bull bugling and pushing a half dozen cows today. We were setting up the wall tent for saddles and Tom heard a bugle. Next thing we knew there they went right by base camp. A promising sight!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

i'm ALWAYS scheming on my next hunts ;) i found a really big bull behind my house at the end of the season, and i'm guessing he'll make me hunt him only next year.... big huge bull, black horned, and he has a 300-ish inch frame, but he's a 5x5, so he won't make 300".... which i don't care about even a tiny bit, but he is an incredible bull, and equally as unique... i have never seen a 5pt close to the size of him, he looks like my biggest bull, with way bigger back forks because he's missing the 6th point

no real solid plans yet though, we are more than casually thinking about moving to Brookings.... if that happens, plans will change a lot of course..... plan on having more time next summer, so i can shoot my recurve as much as i need to so i can hunt it next year.... this summer was brutal in that regard, i had no life.... up at 3am every single day, and home after 6pm every night.
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Yes, I’m hunting behind Roosiebull’s house. :D Still trying time fill the freezer with an elk this year in WA (the ID bow hunt ended really before it got rolling), but yep.. starting on next years hunt plans as I type. The elk deserve no less ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 10 14, 2020 •  [Post 7]

While I have a muzzle loader season yet. I have sorta have a few options.
Hunt the flats of the desert out of a blind.
Im degrading myself to hunt out of a tree stand or ground blind
Hunt the flats of the desert out of a blind.
My hope is to chase around the mountianside, letting elk fool me here and there, me fool a few . And get my daughter a mature bull.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 16, 2020 •  [Post 8]

2021 is already looking like a go for CO mule deer. Though I am thinking about finally getting a WY elk point. Grandpa is getting close to the end of his elk hunting years. This November will tell me a lot about what future plans should look like.

I'm much more concerned with filling my MT tag in November. Currently accepting GPS coordinates to a fat cow elk that's roped to a tree, if you have any extras laying around :lol: .
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Billy Goat » 10 16, 2020 •  [Post 9]

2021 is our WY year, so in a way.... I started planning this around 2015 when I started buying WY PP's.

we went up there this summer to scout, and scout, and scout. still undecided on unit though (general tag). I'm looking forward to it though, and I just got home from Colorado at 2pm today! :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby CMF » 10 23, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Did NM last year, successful. CO this year, unsuccessful. Planning Montana next year and Wyoming 2022 while still hoping to draw a NM tag again one day.
CMF

Postby ishy » 10 27, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Still got a late archery and muzzleloader, and yes thinking of 2021 daily...and 2023 and my Utah 19 points cash in at least weekly.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Magic » 10 28, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Absolutely. We started planning for 2021 in January of 2020. Due to my Son, Marty's job situation we knew that 2020 would have to be a "skip" year. This will be Marty's turn to hunt and I will "guide". He should have enough PP's to draw a 2nd season rifle Colorado Bull Elk license and also his oldest Son should be able to accompany us. I am already looking forward to having 3 generations of us on the "hill".
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby LDriver » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Absolutely planning already. Picking up a few more clothing items for the weather swings during archery season. Looking a possibly picking up a new bow, already shot 4 different models, just not sure if I will pull the trigger on that purchase yet or not. Definitely need to lose a few more pounds for the upcoming season. I had dropped about 25 pounds since last year, but would like to drop about 20 more for the upcoming 2021 season. Its just easier on the knees all around. I have a good area, but want to get some scouting in this year...all my scout trips went to sh!t last year so never got out and was guessing about elk location at the beginning of the season and ended up stumbling into a good spot on pure accident...got lucky this year as far as that, had several really good encounters, but was never able to get drawn on an animal. Hopefully I can change that next year.
LDriver

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Welcome to the forum LDriver. Those darn elk are frustrating aren't they? Pull up a chair near the campfire here and join in the conversations going on. We have a while to wait now, even for some good on the ground scouting.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Welcome LDriver! Be careful of Swede, he will steal your wallet when you aren't looking and replace the cash with used chewing gum and when you are looking he will start his drivel about tree stand hunting! :D
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Drivel? :shock: Don't let these jerks take your eye off the ball. If you pay close attention to Swede you will be killing elk from a tree stand nest season. :D
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 17]

With all the tree stand talk, it is in my plan for next season. I will be purchasing a few this off season. Just pulled my trail cams last week and so I will have to do some research as to what spot I want to Perch up in next year.
Elkhunttoo

Postby LDriver » 11 13, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Thank you for the welcome! I spent most of my earlier years in tree stands back east, I do have one spot that might be a good early season tree stand spot (good sized seep with a wallow), just not looking forward to the thought of dragging that thing almost 2 miles back to the spot.
LDriver

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2020 •  [Post 19]

LDriver wrote: just not looking forward to the thought of dragging that thing almost 2 miles back to the spot.

I enjoy packing in stands and setting up. There is something about getting ready and the anticipation for what may come is still exciting for me. What I do not care for is taking things down, and packing it back out. Then it is all over for another year. It is a very melancholy time for me. The pack out of your equipment is more palatable when you have something in the cooler besides stale camp food floating in melted ice.
Get someone to go in with you on a scouting trip and just use some of your time preparing your stand site. You will have something to look forward to. I have never hunted back east, but from what I have read, it appears that shifting winds and thermals in the mountains cause a different problem for elk hunters out west. I go higher in a tree most of the time. I prefer about 25 feet up and sometimes go even higher, if I am in a hollow, and can find a good tree.
I went up only about 20 feet this past season and it cost me an extra two weeks in that stand to get an elk. The incident I refer to was a time when a herd came in from slightly upslope. The lead cow saw something (me) in a tree that she was not comfortable with. I did no t move, but she would look up, and go back to drink at the water hole. After she finished drinking she bolted for a few feet, and walked away taking the herd with her. I never had a shot opportunity.
Swede

Postby LDriver » 11 13, 2020 •  [Post 20]

[/quote]I went up only about 20 feet this past season and it cost me an extra two weeks in that stand to get an elk. The incident I refer to was a time when a herd came in from slightly upslope. The lead cow saw something (me) in a tree that she was not comfortable with. I did no t move, but she would look up, and go back to drink at the water hole. After she finished drinking she bolted for a few feet, and walked away taking the herd with her. I never had a shot opportunity.[/quote]

I have a really good spot that I could hang a stand in. Sits over a really good seep, that flows into a wallow/watering hole. There is a good stand of Aspen around that I could hang one in, problem is I know more than just me know about that spot (I got called into that spot by a guide as I was still hunting through an area, I heard a bugle up the mountain around 1 pm one day, headed up the hillside, I bugled back, head 2 replies, one kept calling (guide) the other one responded once and shut up). So if I was to put a stand up in that area I would have to find a spot to hang it where it wouldn't be as easily seen. I know there are elk in there, I had a really nice bull come down the mountain pushing 25-30 cows...he was pushing them hard too, a solid trot to canter in horse speak. They came right by the watering hole and never took second glance at it as he was pushing them down the hill behind me. They came through so fast never had a shot at any of the cows and the bull swung around a dead tree, screamed in my face from about 10 yards away and took off. The unfortunate thing about that entire situation is I had backed myself up into some small pines to give me a backdrop, but that backdrop prevented me from being able to shoot through it. Lesson learned!! If I had been on the other side of that seep I would've had a 17 yard shot on that bull...Choices choices choices
LDriver

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2020 •  [Post 21]

I would not think a guide would mess with your tree stand or even your camp. That wallow/seep is just another spot in their hunting area. They will check it out on occasion, but most likely avoid it if they believe you are there. I would expect to see them once. If you are there they have nothing to gain by stopping in. Look at it from their perspective. If you are in a stand, you are not bothering them either.

As an experienced tree stand hunter, you know it is easier to shoot from your stand than many spots on the ground. You can get away with some movement at times. Just like Whitetail, you need to be careful about your movement, but from what I have read you can get away with more with elk. It is crazy how silent an elk can be coming in to you. I was startled when I looked down and saw the elk I shot this past season. It was right below my stand. It had walked in from behind, and I knew nothing about it until it started to come past by my tree. I put a stop to that nonsense. :D
Swede

Postby hibernation » 11 15, 2020 •  [Post 22]

All this talk about treestands... I'm slowly dialing in my saddle hunting setup, hoping to test it out during late archery blacktail season over the next few weeks. I've never gone treestand for elk but I'm giving it serious thought, especially for the Oregon coast range. The difference in visibility here is amazing once you get out of the vine maple and salal.
hibernation

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 23]

How much time have you put in the tree saddle? How well do they work for you? They just look terribly uncomfortable and restrictive. They remind me of a Johnny-Jump-Up, but I have no experience with one.
Swede

Postby hibernation » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Only a few hours, so jury is still very much out. It's less about solving a problem and more about... I guess I just like messing with things, and I've already got all the climbing / arborist gear. I'm $20 into a "sit-drag" so if it turns out to be a wash, oh well. I'll follow up if I get a chance to use it during the late blacktail season.
hibernation

Postby Tigger » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 25]

I have a buddy who is a very dedicated whitetail hunter and he loves his. Doesn't use anything but that anymore.
Tigger

Postby rvanbw00 » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Me and a couple close buddies will be returning to MT to try and seal the (3rd times a charm?) deal. Im really hoping to use the knowledge of the area from past trips will help us put an elk on the ground. Our shortcomings until this point arent for a lack of opportunity - just hoping luck swings our way this time. We all have Hoosier whitetails on the ground and now 2021 elk season begins!
rvanbw00

Postby 7mmfan » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 27]

I'm strongly considering a saddle for blacktail next year as well. There are a few clear cuts that I know are loaded with deer currently, but they're just a little to tall to glass into. If I could get about 20' up, it would be a whole new world. I'm going in at least a few miles to some of these spots, and I have a few, so I don't want dedicated stands. I want to be able to hunt whichever one I want to that day based on weather, wind, sun, etc...
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 28]

rvanbw00 wrote:Me and a couple close buddies will be returning to MT to try and seal the (3rd times a charm?) deal. Im really hoping to use the knowledge of the area from past trips will help us put an elk on the ground. Our shortcomings until this point arent for a lack of opportunity - just hoping luck swings our way this time. We all have Hoosier whitetails on the ground and now 2021 elk season begins!

Same place Ryan? Not sure our plans yet, but it may very well include MT.
Tigger

Postby hibernation » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 29]

7mmfan wrote:I'm going in at least a few miles to some of these spots, and I have a few, so I don't want dedicated stands. I want to be able to hunt whichever one I want to that day based on weather, wind, sun, etc...

That's been my thinking too. I used to hunt out of a climber but gave it to a friend who had more use for it, they're quick and easy but a pain to carry for distance or through brush. Still trying to figure out the best/lightest way to get up the tree.
hibernation

Postby rvanbw00 » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Tigger wrote:
rvanbw00 wrote:Me and a couple close buddies will be returning to MT to try and seal the (3rd times a charm?) deal. Im really hoping to use the knowledge of the area from past trips will help us put an elk on the ground. Our shortcomings until this point arent for a lack of opportunity - just hoping luck swings our way this time. We all have Hoosier whitetails on the ground and now 2021 elk season begins!

Same place Ryan? Not sure our plans yet, but it may very well include MT.

Yessir, or within a 15 or so mile radius. Id love to get together an have a beer one night if you guys are out that way!
rvanbw00

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2020 •  [Post 31]

I think whether you should pack in a tree saddle, or a fixed stand you named "Hotel California, is best based on how much time you plan to stay in one, and to a certain extent on how long far you need to carry it. Only you can really determine where the break points are on that. A Johnny Jump Up stand is adequate, but if you are going in at daybreak and staying around all day, for days, then comfort becomes a huge factor. I have some two hour stands and some 30 day stands. No one has ever sat in one of my 30 day stands and complained that it was just too comfortable.
Swede

Postby bcriner38 » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 32]

I am planning now. Doing a 2 week DIY backcountry trip to Colorado in Unit 81 around Conejos Peak at the start of the archery season. I haven't been in decades. Looking for a hunting partner if anyone is interested. My other partner had to back out. I am driving out from GA. I can pick up along the way.
bcriner38

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 33]

Welcome to the forum bcriner38. I hope you find a good hunting partner for your Colorado hunt. While you are planning your hunt, stay close to the campfire here and join in some of the conversations. Also there are some great tips shared here.
Swede

Postby DirtyErn » 12 24, 2020 •  [Post 34]

Yeah I’m planning on skiing, 10 times since it opened, and doing some backcountry skiing, maybe a snowshoe trip? Then some hiking and mtn biking , throw in some fishing. I’ll hike and backpack some areas I may hunt to look at them. Same with the area I hunted this year. Then in July I may get serious. But I’ll be in the woods
That’s the plan oh and huckleberry picking to pass the time
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby Lefty » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 35]

Well my wife is planning on driving to Florida. :?: I really don't know what that's all about. I have a plan for the spring bear hunt. Some new trail cam locations.
And I expect to turn slacker and hunt when alone up a tree like Swede.
I want a bigger garden, which mean putting up more garden goodies. ,.. I also plan to put in for Montana expecting a hunt in 2022,.. but waterfowl hunting Montana. I also plan to rifle deer hunt a long ago locaion, just a sit and sit
My wife got a rod and reel for Christmas so some early summer fishing too 8-)
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 36]

Lefty wrote:nd I expect to turn slacker and hunt when alone up a tree like Swede.

Slacker? You should say "packer", as in elk packer. You will look like a genius, especially if you are in a Millennium M100U.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 37]

My plans are all over the place. It’s driving me a little crazy because I’m a planning fanatic. I’m scheduled to bear hunt in Saskatchewan in early May. But the way the virus is going I’m pretty sure the border won’t be open by then. That leaves things up in the air right now. To be honest I don’t care about the bear hunt. I’m shopping for a house right now and I have the moose/caribou hunt set for 22 so I’d just as soon go elk hunting. I have 4 weeks to decide whether or not to apply for elk. I could always withdraw the application in May but I’d hate to see the points go to waste when other people would love to be able to use them.

I’m nervous about my mule deer hunt. I’ve never had a license that took 8 years worth of points to draw. If I don’t shoot a buck after waiting that long it’ll be downright depressing. I wish I knew someone who sold diy deer hunting plans where I want to hunt! I’m looking exclusively for 180 or better so that won’t be easy no matter where you hunt. To top it off if I’m deer hunting it will be September and I’ll be in prime elk country so I’ll be like a hunting dog on a leash trying to resist going after bulls I see. If I see a monster the deer hunt might go on hold for a day! Sitting way up above timberline glued to binos and a spotting scope could definitely lead to seeing the bull of dreams.

Well..... I better go stare at some maps and put together a plan or 3 for deer. I think I’ll feel better if I could do that.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 38]

Yep, working on my plan for 21. Was able to get an Idaho archery elk tag in their new not user friendly system. So, god willing and the creeks don’t rise (and the docs help me figure out some very weird health issues I’ve been battling) Idaho bow bull and WA State rifle deer and smoke pole elk. Will be able to tell better this spring ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Old school » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 39]

Hopefully elk in either Montana or Wyoming this year. Looking forward to a couple weeks in the mountains.
Old school

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2020 •  [Post 40]

Best wishes on getting your health issues taken care of RJ. Keep us posted.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2020 •  [Post 41]

Hopefully MT archery and then I would like to find a place to take my daughter on a rifle elk hunt. MT would be convenient, but would go basically anywhere.
Tigger

Postby bcriner38 » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 42]

Yes. 13 day DIY elk hunt in Colorado, 9 days hunting, 1/2 in, 3 days scouting, 9 days hunting, 1/2 day out. Already got 98% of gear. Probably 90% has been used and tested. Working on myself now to get physically ready. Have my unit picked out and the outfitter who is packing me into my spike camp. Working on tentative A, B, C plans. Also working on plans for a 5-7 day scouting trip in July to put boots on the ground, meet with outfitter, review maps and discuss plans.
bcriner38

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2021 •  [Post 43]

Bcriner, did you ever get a partner? It sounds like you are very serious about your hunt and going about it right. Best wishes.
Swede

Postby bcriner38 » 01 03, 2021 •  [Post 44]

Think I have decided to just go it alone so I can do what I want.
bcriner38

Postby Jm19 » 01 03, 2021 •  [Post 45]

Hey guys. New to the site, and hoping to gain some insight on Elk hunting. Myself and 2 buddies are putting in for 551 in Colorado this year, we bought preference points last year, so hoping we are a lock for tags, we’ll be applying as a group. This will be an archery hunt probably the third week. Hunting out of a base camp everyday. Thanks in advance for the knowledge I gain by being part of the sight.
Jm19

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2021 •  [Post 46]

Welcome to the WT campfire Jm19. Best wishes on your 2021 unit 551 hunt. Join in the camp discussions and ask questions as you like. I do not know if we have a lot of unit 551 help, but folks here know elk.
Swede

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2021 •  [Post 47]

bcriner38 wrote:Think I have decided to just go it alone so I can do what I want.

That is often what I do.
There is a satisfaction in getting it done on your own. I still hate long nights out packing in the dark, but it is doable, and I have learned some of that can wait until the next day.
Swede

Postby bcriner38 » 01 03, 2021 •  [Post 48]

Swede wrote:
bcriner38 wrote:Think I have decided to just go it alone so I can do what I want.

That is often what I do.
There is a satisfaction in getting it done on your own. I still hate long nights out packing in the dark, but it is doable, and I have learned some of that can wait until the next day.

I won't have to pack anything out. I have arranged a pack service with the outfitter. I will just have to field dress it and hang it.
bcriner38

Postby Rsnyder » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 49]

New to the sight. Thanks for the opportunity to gain knowledge. Headed to Idaho panhandle archery. As of now I have a nephew wants to accompany, hoping he doesn't waffle. Driving from FL, combo base camp w/ spike camp option. Excited and a little intimidated as well. Finally pulled the trigger after saying I wanted to go for years. Ain't gettin any younger!!!
Rsnyder

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 50]

Welcome to WapitiTalk Rsnyder, glad to have you on board. Dig around the threads, including the archived tips, and see what you can dig up that may help you on your way. And yep, please feel free start any discussion threads you wish; we love to talk elk hunting here (gear, tips/tactics, calling, camping, etc.). RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 51]

Welcome to the forum Rsnyder. I am just curious why you decided on northern Idaho for your first elk hunt? There is nothing wrong with that part of Idaho or any other in particular. Best wishes for your hunt. In the mean time join us here in some discussion and good natured ribbing. Lefty, Tigger and 7mm get the ribbing. :D
Swede

Postby Rsnyder » 01 11, 2021 •  [Post 52]

Thanks for the welcome. Appreciate the respectful ribbin too. Picked Panhandle as it appeared to have extensive public. Probably a helluva lot more than I can possibly get to. OTC and tags were gone after reading here and there about wolves workin on it pretty good. Still I'm optimistic and am planning to put in what it takes to succeed. A friend of mine had also shared that he had seen a lot of elk there above Bonners ferry while deer hunting. Bought the tag then found out his trip was 20 years ago!!!! HAHAHAHA Dammerman
Rsnyder

Postby Tigger » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 53]

W{elk}ome! Pull up a stump and share some of your stories. But beware, Swede may light your shoelaces on fire!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2021 •  [Post 54]

Don't worry Snyder. I have not singed Tigger's shoe laces since September. Anyway, I am working on something new for him at this time, so I am preoccupied now. Relax.
Swede

Postby Rsnyder » 01 13, 2021 •  [Post 55]

Might use the ash for a little face paint. Hope the foot odor doesn’t transfer
Rsnyder

Postby Tigger » 01 13, 2021 •  [Post 56]

I can see the headline now: Man left with cow feces on face after planning practical joke goes awry. Story at 10.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 13, 2021 •  [Post 57]

Snyder, from what I have seen of northern Idaho, from Canada to the Clearwater, you will encounter brush. Lots of brush. RJ (WapitiTalk 1) thinks the elk occasionally go out into openings for forage, and get eaten by the wolves. I think they go out into the openings so they will get eaten. Otherwise they will go stark raven mad. I am not very familiar with the Bonners Ferry country. I have only driven through it. I have been out above Coeur d' Alene, and around Orofino. Brush!
If you are going to try to call elk, you will need to be very good at it. Otherwise I would try to ambush one. I do not think spot and stalk is practical. You would be just as well off with a spear, or cork gun, if you are going to try and sneak around slowly "still" hunting. The hunter success there is about 10%. I suspect most of that 10% are suicidal elk, wanting to get out of the brush at any cost. Please prove me wrong. Best wishes.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 13, 2021 •  [Post 58]

It is never as thick as you think, unless it is thicker. :shock:
Tigger

Postby lilshootergirl » 02 01, 2021 •  [Post 59]

Today I put into wyoming, Elk, cow elk, deer, special deer. Hope with points I have ill draw something?
Will see? No matter I'm head that way anyway, family, friends. Beautiful country to explore. Good luck to everyone, these days weird things are happening. Hope 2021 gets better.
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2021 •  [Post 60]

Got our Wyoming applications in last minute. I’ll sleep better now. But waiting until late May for drawing results is downright torture!
Indian Summer

Postby bigB3991 » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 61]

New to the forum thing, but planning has begun. Hunted NM a few years ago (successful once, unsuccessful once) and two years ago in CO (unsuccessful). More of a deer/hog hunter, but my buddy wants to get leftovers for GMU 11, 12, 13, 23, 24, ....etc (1st rifle). Just don't know where to start when you have so many units to choose from! The flattops are popular, but probably crowded. Trying to research an area that is tougher to access in hopes of minimizing contact with others. May even look into a guide service to point us in the right direction. Just pulling up a chair, pouring a glass of bourbon and watching the threads for some insight. Don't mind camping trips, but would like to at least see something. Don't mind eating a tag, trips are always fun.
bigB3991

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 62]

Welcome to WapitiTalk.com BigB, glad to have you on board. I know zip about the Centennial State but several here do, I'm sure they'll chime in. It may serve you better to pour that glass of bourbon and start a separate thread so your inquiry doesn't sink into the depths of this thread ;). Again, welcome to our campfire (shoot me a PM after you have 3 posts with your mailing digits and I'll send a WapitiTalk Decal your way). RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 63]

It is great to have another hunter join us here on WT. Tell WapitiTalk1 to put that bumper sticker on layaway and have it ready.
Join us in the conversations here and share your thoughts. Lefty, 7mm and Tigger share their thoughts with us before they even have one, so it is not critical to have everything all figured out.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 02 24, 2021 •  [Post 64]

Swede wrote:It is great to have another hunter join us here on WT. Tell WapitiTalk1 to put that bumper sticker on layaway and have it ready.
Join us in the conversations here and share your thoughts. Lefty, 7mm and Tigger share their thoughts with us before they even have one, so it is not critical to have everything all figured out.

You put it in a bowl?
7mmfan

Postby lilshootergirl » 02 26, 2021 •  [Post 65]

May is a long way out waiting for a draw! Geez,no matter I'm hitting the road to see the great eastern states so the moss goes away! Hope I draw! I won't be a happier! Hope this is the year my dreams come true. Good luck everyone!!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Lefty » 02 26, 2021 •  [Post 66]

Swede wrote: Lefty, 7mm and Tigger share their thoughts with us before they even have one, so it is not critical to have everything all figured out.

Swedes just trying to pee in the tall grass like the big dogs,,,

I do need to admit Swede does add to the conversation once in a while,,,,,
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 02 26, 2021 •  [Post 67]

bigB3991 wrote: Just pulling up a chair, pouring a glass of bourbon and watching the threads for some insight.

Hey everybody, check out the fancy lad. He pours his bourbon into a glass. Too fancy to drink straight from the bottle as god intended. :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey