Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One Tree stand tip for newbies

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One Tree stand tip for newbies

Postby Tigger » 10 29, 2020 •  [Post 1]

My kids will all be in tree stands the weekend after this one. They will be doing their best impressions of Swede and if anyone has a closeup photo of Swede's face I could print it out and tape it to their stands just to calm the deer. But this here thread is about tips. Please list one tip per post for new tree stand hunters. Who will be the first to break the rule and post 2???

Use a stocking hat instead of a baseball cap. That bill on the baseball cap turning can easily be seen.
Tigger

Re: One Tree stand tip for newbies

Postby wawhitey » 10 29, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Hold still, no wigglin around
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2020 •  [Post 3]

It is good to have cover behind you even if it artificial. Deer and elk have great peripheral vision.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Stay in your tree as long as you can. Deer and elk don't move around or come near on our schedule.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 10 29, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Im going to drag my freshly sexified .444 marlin up into a treestand for elk starting sunday. Ill give it a few days. The spot ill be sitting is just flat out silly. But i think it could happen. Its about the last place anybody would think a guy could kill an elk, but my scouting efforts tell me its a good idea. We will see. Its a ridiculous spot that i believe everybody overlooks entirely. And as a bonus, IF im successful, the packout will be easy. Speaking of back cover swede, this tree is one of those ones that has a nasty mess of limbs that looks like a huge nest. It took some doin, but i pruned out a little hollow in there for my treestand. If i cant get a bull from that treestand, i think i could get a good whitetail buck. And if nothing else im positive i could get a spring bear there with a little patience if i draw the permit.
Attachments
20201029_230542_copy_800x450.jpg
20201029_230542_copy_800x450.jpg (128.4 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 6]

It's not sexified, but I am thinking about taking dad's old 35 Rem. Marlin out hunting this weekend. It would be great to just hold it again. I don't think it has been fired in for about 70 years.

As for another tip: Go up your tree on a safety line and come back on a safety line. Never be unattached from your tree.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Great one Swede!

Know your zones of fire right away so you are not trying to determine where you can shoot when the magic moment comes.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Know the distances to clearly visible objects reasonably near your stand, especially if you are bow hunting.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Pre-squish your sandwich to get that out of the right away.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Pre-squish your sandwich to get that out of the right away.

Theyre better squished anyway.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Got home from alaska late last night, and elk opens tomorrow, so obviously today i ran up and checked the cam on the game trail by my new treestand site. Wednesday evening had 3 bulls and 12 cows walk by :D
This is an "any bull" unit
Attachments
PICT0212_copy_800x600.jpg
PICT0212_copy_800x600.jpg (106.87 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
PICT0233_copy_800x600.jpg
PICT0233_copy_800x600.jpg (112.03 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
PICT0226_copy_800x600.jpg
PICT0226_copy_800x600.jpg (112.28 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Good luck on getting one of those bulls. They all look good to me. Take the first one that shows up.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 10 30, 2020 •  [Post 13]

If the dink shows up ill count to zero waiting for the bigger of the three. If the 6pt doesnt show up by the count of zero, ill shoot the dink.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 02, 2020 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:Got home from alaska late last night, and elk opens tomorrow, so obviously today i ran up and checked the cam on the game trail by my new treestand site. Wednesday evening had 3 bulls and 12 cows walk by :D
This is an "any bull" unit

SWEET!!!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 03, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:Pre-squish your sandwich to get that out of the right away.
:lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Have a good, comfortable stand to sit in if you are going to be there for hours. Those light weight pack in stands are all right for a short afternoon hunt, but you will not want to be there long.
I read and do puzzles in mine. It makes a big difference being comfortable. Along with a comfortable stand it is very important to stay warm. Even on warm days bring in extra clothes so you can stay warn after you cool down, and after the sun sets.
You need to be prepared to stay long in your stand. To do it, you need to be comfortable there.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2020 •  [Post 17]

If you use a hang on stand, it is good to bring up your stand by having a pulley above your stand height. Have someone on the ground send it up tied to a rope that passes through the pulley. The person on the ground can help you get the stand to just the right position. It is a safe and easy way to set up your stand and even to bring it back down after your successful hunt.
Swede

Postby hibernation » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 18]

My one tip - don't get sweaty on your way to your stand, that's a surefire way to freeze during a late season sit. Don't wear all your layers for the hike, and give yourself enough time so you can keep an easy pace. If it's really a tough hike in and I can't avoid sweating up my base layer, I'll sometimes even carry a shirt to switch out once I get to the stand. Seen a lot of guys layer all the way up at the truck, roast on the way to the stand, and then freeze an hour later when all that heat is lost but they're still damp with sweat.
hibernation

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Good tip hibernation. I had to learn that the hard way even though I don't hunt late season much at all. You can experience that in September in the mountains.
Swede

Postby db.cannon » 11 13, 2020 •  [Post 20]

My one tip - don't get sweaty on your way to your stand, that's a surefire way to freeze during a late season sit. Don't wear all your layers for the hike, and give yourself enough time so you can keep an easy pace. If it's really a tough hike in and I can't avoid sweating up my base layer, I'll sometimes even carry a shirt to switch out once I get to the stand. Seen a lot of guys layer all the way up at the truck, roast on the way to the stand, and then freeze an hour later when all that heat is lost but they're still damp with sweat.

Still a newbie but totally agree. I stand hunted early season and brought a shirt for sweating and a shirt for sitting. Thought it might help for scent control too.
Even used the zip-off 'shants' for the hike. Was a lot warmer for early morning once I layered back up.

Not man enough to sit this late in the year :lol: . Not sure if stand hunting is as useful this time of year here as the mule deer and elk seem to prefer the oakbrush when the snow flies.

I think clearing shooting lanes was super important and something I could improve. Not just on the ground but in your tree as well. Some elk came in, and I ended up having to take a seated shot to safely clear a branch on the tree in front of me. But my pack hanging behind me was bumping up against my release elbow. Better prep could have made shooting far less stressful.
db.cannon

Postby Tigger » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Don't make unnecessary noise on the way to your stand. I was heading to a stand site yesterday and the snow was loud and crunchy where there were human and deer tracks, but soft and quiet off to the side. Details people! Details!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Db, I too clear out branches around my stand. I remove more than my son appreciates, but hang things up behind me to break up my outline.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 23, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Wear your safety harness
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H