Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Do You Keep Your Edge On A Knife?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

When in the field & breaking down your elk how do you maintain a sharp edge if your knife needs touch up? Do you carry a second knife for some of the work? I know some use a Havalon with replaceable blades but what about the guys who just like the feel of a good handle & knife for the job!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: How Do You Keep Your Edge On A Knife?

Postby Lefty » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Cut from the inside out, dont hit bone and the knife will last longer
I have a total of three knives
One in my pack for the initial gutting.

Then two other knifes for skinning and boneing, I have a steel and an Arkansas stone in my meat box I havent used them but they are ready
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Harmy » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I am a believer in high quality super hard steel knives. I use custom knives made by Daniel Stucky out of Oregon. I find that this one knife can easily quarter out 2-3 cow elk before needing any sharpening. However, with my bull this year it did not quite make it through due to the excessivly muddy hide and thick hide. He had so much dirt in his fur that I actually dulled out 2 knifes and had to use my diamond shapener to finish the job. Thus I typically carry two knives and a diamond sharpener. I also use an Edge Pro sharpening system at home to ensure consistent edge and secondary bevel angles.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby planebow » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I am like harmy, I carry 2 knifes and my diamond sharpener. I rarely ever have to use my sharpener in the field but always have it handy just in case.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have a couple of good knives and rarely ever touch them in the field. I carry a little diamond sharpener just in case. The skinning knife with ATS34 steel is awesome at holding a sharp edge.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Very seldom do I ever have to touch up my knife in the field. But should that ever happen, I have a 6" fine diamond hone in my pack. My knife has a Scandi grind on it so it is very easy to bring it back to a hair splitting edge. And you don't have to be a sharpening expert to do it.
>>>---WW---->

Postby pointysticks » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

i'm new at gutting and skinning. i am harsh on an edge.

for the field i carry this..it is cheap $12..works with a few passes. easy to work with bloody hands and bloody knife. and it gets a knife sharp FAST. (if you dont dull it to oblivion.)

it called an accusharp.
Attachments
199593_lg.jpg
199593_lg.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 45376 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby foxvalley » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I use a flat steel for touching up all my knives,the best one is from gerber,but I don't think they make it any more,the last one I bought was from schrade,and is almost as good.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Buglemaster » 11 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I cary a small steele in my pack. A few strokes & it's good to go.Watch a busy meat cutter at the grocery store. He will cut all day on a butcher block & maintain a sharp edge with a good steele. Otta know..I did it for 25 years.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby bearman da man » 11 20, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I carry 2 knives, and 2 saws but most importantly a Smith's 50185 Jiffy - Pro Handheld Sharpner for $10.00 at Wall-Mart....this sharpner is "excellent" and the last thing you want is a dull knife while catching your breath.
bearman da man

Postby Heartwood » 12 01, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I like to pack one knife and it's a cheap light 2.5" kershaw. I also pack a small diamond sharpener. I'm very careful to never set the knife down, always back in the pocket or pack. If I did loose the knife I would remove two blades from a broadhead and screw it back into an arrow to use as a knife. Each year I weed out more unnecessary gear from the pack.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby easeup » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I carry a little flat diamond plate ~ 3/4 x4"' for touch up in the pack pocket.
easeup

Postby idahoghost » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I carry a Havalon, I just change the blade. I used to carry a steel to touch my old knife up, but with the Havalon, it's just too easy.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby MattyB » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 14]

idahoghost wrote:I carry a Havalon, I just change the blade. I used to carry a steel to touch my old knife up, but with the Havalon, it's just too easy.

x2
MattyB

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Buresh

Postby romey » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 15]

As a custom knifemaker and a guide for a couple decades I will add this, if you need to do much more then a couple passes with a ceramic stone to make it through a elk you should probably look at a different knife which is the whole reason I got into making knives to begin with.
romey

First Name: Romey
Last Name: B

Postby Fullabull » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Just get the one on the right, DD edge hunting knife from Cutco. Won't have to sharpen it for years. then just send it to cutco and they will do if for free. Lifetime warranty also! Cutco.com
Attachments
Cutco Hunting_Knife.jpg
Cutco Hunting_Knife.jpg (224.65 KiB) Viewed 45149 times
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby dotman » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Too bad you can't just order the cutco items, pretty much have to have a salesman come to your house based on what their website says, I'll stick with the hav.
dotman

Postby Fullabull » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Hey Dotman: You can call them and order anything you like. I just ordered another one for my dad
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby pointysticks » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

romey wrote:As a custom knifemaker and a guide for a couple decades I will add this, if you need to do much more then a couple passes with a ceramic stone to make it through a elk you should probably look at a different knife which is the whole reason I got into making knives to begin with.

romey..in your opinion..what steel is best for a hunting knife?

you have a website for your blades? i would love to see some.
pointysticks

Postby redtop » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I'll weigh in here too since I also make custom knives. There are alot of good steels out there for a hunting knife. S30V is a good choice if you want a knife that hold an edge for a long time. Pretty hard for field sharpening though and like most stainless the edge can be brittle. D2 is another good hunting knife steel a bit easier to sharpen but the edge is strong. My personal favorite at the momment is 52100 ball bearing steel. Hard to find in plate so you have to forge it from round stock which aligns the grain structure and makes it even better and is a great choice in my opinion. Takes a wicked edge and you can actually sharpen it in the field if you have to. No knife stays razor sharp forever despite claims to the contrary. I think it best to have a steel that you can sharpen easily as opposed to super hard steels that might last longer but are a total pain to sharpen without power equipment. For field sharpening I carry a small DMT folding diamond stone. Red color (fine) is good for field use.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby redtop » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Here is one of my knives in 52100 steel, Desert ironwood handle. 3 1/4 inch blade. 8 inches overall.
Attachments
elk track knives 009 (640x480).jpg
elk track knives 009 (640x480).jpg (223.54 KiB) Viewed 45113 times
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 22]

compressed sharpener pic.jpg
compressed sharpener pic.jpg (16.24 KiB) Viewed 45101 times

Here are a couple of flat steels, the gerber,I have had for over 25 years,and am still amazed at how fast it brings back the edge. I thought I had lost it at one point in time,and couldn't find a gerber but found a schrade, works good,but not quite like the gerber. I also use the gerber to bring back the razor edge on my broadheads.
foxvalley

Postby pointysticks » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 23]

fox.

have you ever tapped that wedge through a pelvic bone? i think that is a neat tool!! that IS the CRKT pelvic tool, right?
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 24]

redtop wrote:Here is one of my knives in 52100 steel, Desert ironwood handle. 3 1/4 inch blade. 8 inches overall.

you made that??!! do you have a website?
pointysticks

Postby redtop » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 25]

No personal website pointysticks. Sorry. Just not that fond of computers really. I'm better at making stuff than selling it.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 26]

pointysticks wrote:fox.

have you ever tapped that wedge through a pelvic bone? i think that is a neat tool!! that IS the CRKT pelvic tool, right?

No,sorry, not a pelvic tool. I'm guessing if you hammered on it,it would shatter,never heard of the CRKT pelvic tool.Strickly for sharpening. I gave up on splitting the pelvic bone,broke lots of blades,and personally don't think it is nessesary,I just remove "everything" inside it. The schrade is called a "honesteel".
foxvalley

Postby Coveyleader » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 27]

That little hand sharpener pointy sticks posted is the best way to get cut! I've broke down many bg animals and never got a scratch. I bought one of those little sharpeners and cut myself good two years in a row. Be warned!
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby gveire » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 28]

Havalon Knives..... Best knife for skinning anything out!! The blades are replaceable. As long as you know how to bone out your game its all you need up on the mountain.. :ugeek:
gveire

First Name: Greg
Last Name: Veire

Postby pointysticks » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 29]

foxvalley wrote:
pointysticks wrote:fox.

No,sorry, not a pelvic tool. I'm guessing if you hammered on it,it would shatter,never heard of the CRKT pelvic tool.Strickly for sharpening. I gave up on splitting the pelvic bone,broke lots of blades,and personally don't think it is nessesary,I just remove "everything" inside it. The schrade is called a "honesteel".

opps. sorry i was confused. looks similar to the CRKT tool. and covey..yea, i get it. danger! i cut myself with a similar tool. it was this wafer thing you dragged your blade across..got myself on the thumb. i hesitate to blame the tool tho..user error. i bet i sever something changing blades on a Havalon. :D

here:
Attachments
opplanet-crkt-2851-knife.jpg
opplanet-crkt-2851-knife.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 45060 times
pointysticks

Postby flystrait » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I'm a Havalon guy since last year, I will never go back to the other side now. But when I did carry fixed blade knives I carried two and a stone..
flystrait

Postby pointysticks » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 31]

redtop wrote:No personal website pointysticks. Sorry. Just not that fond of computers really. I'm better at making stuff than selling it.

that knife is stunning!!
pointysticks

Postby foxvalley » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Pointy
That crkt unit looks just like a flat steel, is that made for splitting the pelvic,or are you just using it for that. Color me confused.
foxvalley

Postby pointysticks » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 33]

fox..that is CRKT pelvic tool. it is a sharpner that is also wedged on the end for hammering thru the pelvic bone with a ROCK!!

your tool is great. i knew an old timer with one..i recognized it from your photo. the old ones are great,,new ones suck. old ones..man..look at ebay prices. you may consider putting yours away. hahahah
pointysticks

Postby foxvalley » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 34]

The gerber is awesome.Night and day difference between the two.
foxvalley

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 35]

My Son & I carry a carbide sharpener! It's the size of a short popsicle stick, it will put a decent edge back on a knife so the job can be accomplished! It only weighs an ounce or two so is easy to pack!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby romey » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 36]

pointysticks wrote:
romey wrote:As a custom knifemaker and a guide for a couple decades I will add this, if you need to do much more then a couple passes with a ceramic stone to make it through a elk you should probably look at a different knife which is the whole reason I got into making knives to begin with.

romey..in your opinion..what steel is best for a hunting knife?

you have a website for your blades? i would love to see some.

There is no best steel. It all is dependent on the heat treat for THAT particular steel and how well that maker knows his steel and effort getting the best out of it. I prefer a high carbon steel myself. There is so much more to a blade then just steel, heattreat,thickness of blade edge geometry all play as much of a role as the other. That said poor heattreat on excellent steel still is a poor knife.
www.highcountryknives.com is my website.
romey

First Name: Romey
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 37]

I always plan to be doing the dirty work in the dark. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. I do NOT want to be sharpening a knife when I could be getting things done.

I carry a Buck fixed blade for any heavy duty stuff like separating knee joints and use a Havalon for everything else.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 38]

Indian Summer wrote:I always plan to be doing the dirty work in the dark. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. I do NOT want to be sharpening a knife when I could be getting things done.

I carry a Buck fixed blade for any heavy duty stuff like separating knee joints and use a Havalon for everything else.

any issues with changing a blade on a havalon in the dark with bloody/slippery hands? i read some reviews and that was a complaint..i dont have one, so that is why i am asking. i'll pick one up before AZ..i just like them.
pointysticks

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 39]

Well since I always have a headlamp on in the dark I can't say. I can say that doing anything with a surgical scalpel in the dark, which is what the blades are, is not a good idea.

The best tip I can give for removing and replacing Havalon blades is to use a Leatherman type plier tool. Way safer. If you don't eventually you WILL cut yourself. They are scary wicked sharp!
Indian Summer

Postby Magic » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 40]

This is two "Smith" sharpeners. The yellow unit stays at the camp, and the pocket unit is in my daypack. In addition to the crossed carbide and ceramic sticks, it also has a fold out diamond coated "steel".
Attachments
Photo005 (Small).jpg
Photo005 (Small).jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 44917 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Magic, very nice!

I too just picked up a Havalon here from HuntHardcore (Dan). This thing is razor sharp & I just added it to my pack, it is pretty darned nice! I can see where a guy/gal needs to be focused & careful in the blade changing process but it can be done if you are not in a hurry or careless! First impression, very nice!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 42]

I'm very meticulous when sharpening my knives. The way I look at it every stroke is either making it sharper or duller right?

That said I only use a Lansky or KME sharpener so I know the angle of each stroke is exactly the same. For that reason I avoid sharpening it in the field with anything else. I have that yellow sharpener but never used it. I looked at the angle of the stix and it's not the same as the angle on my blade so I would never touch my knife to it. I'd only be making more work the next time I sat down to seriously sharpen it.

The KME has an adjustable angle so I suppose you could make it match the angle of your quick field sharpener to avoid that problem. Otherwise I'd rather throw it back in the pack and pick up a new one and keep skinning. I used to carry multiple fixed blade knives so I could do that. I'd rather just have another knife than a sharpener. But now one is enough if I have the Havalon with me.
Indian Summer

Postby cnelk » 12 21, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Cutco for me too...

3-4 elk before I need to touch the edge
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby BowKill » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Havalon for me now, they are just so easy and light weight to carry. Super Super Sharp, be careful.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby stykbow67 » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 45]

As much as I like the look and feel of a custom or high quality fixed blade knife the Havalon is hard to beat for a back country hunt when weight is a concern.

Steve
stykbow67

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Ehlers

Postby elkmtngear » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 46]

Love this thing! Been using it for years now.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Chad44 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 47]

Havalon all the way. They are great. I quartered a cow a few weeks ago with one blade and it was still razor sharp after. Won't use anything else. Can't beat the price and weight.
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Postby Da White Shoe » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 48]

I really do not like buying replacement blades. I went through that with the Wyoming Knife I used in the 80's.
The trick to having a sharp knife is.... touching it up so often that it never gets dull in the first place.
I use the G5 flat diamond, because it is what I use to sharpen my broadheads and it works great on knives too.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby G Posik » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 49]

I carry a custom knife made from German saw mill blade. It holds an edge second to none. I do carry a small steel and will hit it a few times here and there. I have used the Havalon and they are nice, I just do not like the feel of them (Like they might break in my hand). I will continue to carry my custom with a little extra weight.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Magic » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 50]

This past October I carried a John Neeman sheath knife. LINK It did not need touching up.
Magic

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 51]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06oPQitr7is

Here is a good video on how to sharpen a Scandi grind knife. This is the type of grind Magic has on his knife. Mine is this way as well. And Elknut, the ones I sent you and your son also fall into this class.

It's so easy, even a caveman can do it! LOL!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 52]

Thanks. I'd like yo keep that edge on my Mora.

I got my axe here. It is ridiculous.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596746.270405.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596746.270405.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 44645 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596760.704874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360596760.704874.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 44645 times
pointysticks

Postby Magic » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 53]

My Baltic Carpenters Axe also came from John Neeman. LINK

If you look at the first axe closely you will see that the handle is engraved; Knothole Sawmill Lynn Davis Master Sawyer. That picture is of my axe.

I would recommend clinking on "Creating Process" and watching the three videos.
Magic

Postby pointysticks » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 54]

Magic wrote:My Baltic Carpenters Axe also came from John Neeman. LINK

If you look at the first axe closely you will see that the handle is engraved; Knothole Sawmill Lynn Davis Master Sawyer. That picture is of my axe.

I would recommend clinking on "Creating Process" and watching the three videos.

Stunning. Absolutely stunning
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 55]

magic..

i want to thank your for that. that man was touched by something greater....

amazing.
pointysticks

Postby Magic » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 56]

I need to emphasize that I have no connection whatsoever with John Neeman.

I first ordered the Carpenters Axe as a gift to myself. Within days of placing the order I got an email from John's partner Jacob stating that John had been burned very extensively on his hands, arms, and face. John's wife and small child were with him in the hospital. It was doubtful whether he would ever be able to work again. Upon hearing this news, and realizing that John needed money, I emailed Jacob and asked how I could go about prepaying for the axe even though it might not ever be made. I subsequently sent a Paypal amount to Jacob that far exceeded the actual axe cost.

Here is a copy of the email that Jacob sent me:

"Thanks Lynn for your humanity.

If you wish to help John donating him - the amount you wish to donate will of course cover the expenses and the shipping of the axe you ordered. The engraving can also be done by your wish. Thanks to God John is getting better.

We will make the axe for you as soon as the John will stand on his feet.

Donation can be done in our paypal account.

Thank you very much from John and me for your support in that situation.

All the best

Jacob"

After I received the axe, I knew that surely I would have to have John make me a sheath knife. So now, that is the story. No connection other than having a couple of friends in the Scandinavian country of Latvia.
Attachments
DSCN1079_28Small29.JPG
John Neeman Carpenters Axe and Knife.
DSCN1079_28Small29.JPG (75.15 KiB) Viewed 44591 times
Magic

Postby pointysticks » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 57]

great axe.

that thing would be difficult to swing into a knotty log. man o man!! my relatively cheap(er) granfor, i literally ran from the truck and started in on the chickens. my first swing i was way too enthusiastic and i buried that axe into my "chicken stump".

i emailed Neeman to ask about a splitting axe..or that american felling axe. i think i have a long wait.

i like how the Neeman guys embed that wedge of tool steel. really cool! have you actually used your axe? is there a wake of fallen trees behind you ? :D

thanks for the story. i was thinking of ordering a ML custom knife. i like that hammered look.
pointysticks

Postby Magic » 02 14, 2013 •  [Post 58]

Here is a very long thread on the Forestry Forum about the original American Felling Axe that was especially built for the forum's auction, and I have actually held that Axe: LINK Much later in the thread, you will see that a group of us turned the tables on the forum owner, bid and bought the axe and then presented it to him. A second axe was then built by John after he recovered from his burns which was actually auctioned off.

The above linked thread is how I first heard about John Neeman, and how I got interested his craftsmanship. When I saw the video making the Carpenters Axe, I had to have one. I have used the knife, but I have to confess that I have not used the axe yet. I intend to, but so far, I just continue to admire it. I suspect that John put my axe on the website because of the events after he was burned.

The above thread is 28 pages long with a lot of "smack" talk between the members because we really had a good time and the one person that had no idea what was happening was the forum owner who would ultimately own the axe. ;)
Magic

Postby Magic » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 59]

How about an update that I just became aware of. John Neeman Tools will continue to operate and build tools, knives, and axes, but John Neeman himself has branched off and started his own company; Autine. LINK
Magic

Postby pointysticks » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 60]

thanks Magic.

btw, my wife is mad at you ;) hahahha.
pointysticks

Postby Magic » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 61]

:?: Who me ?? A man has gotta do what a man has gotta do. ;)

In my situation, my wife watched the Axe building video with me and actually it was she that urged me to order the Axe. Now the Knife was a bit different, but after I got it, she was OK. Anyway, I "needed" it to dress her buck shown on my "Magic Bucks" thread.
Magic

Postby Magic » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 62]

Here is John's latest introductory video: http://vimeo.com/55301381

Note that he is wearing a "Forestry Forum" hooded jacket. ;)
Magic

Postby pointysticks » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 63]

>>>---WW----> wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06oPQitr7is

Here is a good video on how to sharpen a Scandi grind knife. This is the type of grind Magic has on his knife. Mine is this way as well. And Elknut, the ones I sent you and your son also fall into this class.

It's so easy, even a caveman can do it! LOL!!!

i just wanted to revist this!! i am SOLD!!

since this thread..i now have two more Scandi grinds. i am simply in love with this cutting edge. i know that it is (might be) better suited for woodwork. but i have done several big game animals and it works just fine!!

AND you know WHAT??!! i can sharpen them. i think with an AWESOME quality steel, 90% of my sharpening is done with my leather belt. simply stropping.
pointysticks

Postby Elkonthebrain » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 64]

I think the outdoor edge with replacement blades is better than the havolon. The blades do not break as easy.
Elkonthebrain

Postby pointysticks » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 65]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091823.092889.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091823.092889.jpg (373.24 KiB) Viewed 43951 times
pointysticks

Postby Wondermutt » 03 01, 2015 •  [Post 66]

Used to carry a Havalon, till we were on a wolf hunt in the snow and my buddy almost cut his finger off changing the blade. He was shivering and did not have much dexterity. The outcome could have been worse.

Now we carry these. http://www.buckknives.com/product/pakli ... 0140FAM01/

Was able to skin and quarter my wife's cow this year with one without sharpening it. I carry a backup knife or two, and a 6" sharpening steel. We also use a Wyoming saw and a small hatchet for processing as well. We normally pack out full quarters but may try the gutless method this year if we are fortunate to down one again.

How do we keep the edges on them. A buck steel. I used to use stones, but after a visit to the Buck plant and having the guy who sharpens the knives there show me how to properly sharpen them with the steel, that's all I use for all of my knives now.
Wondermutt

Postby Indian Summer » 03 01, 2015 •  [Post 67]

I've looked at that knife before Wonder. I like it a lot but never tried it. Buck makes a great product AND has an unconditional lifetime warranty to back it up.
Indian Summer

Postby Ridge Ghost » 03 02, 2015 •  [Post 68]

Havalon for me, along with a small multitool with pliers for changing out the blades. It's a super light and easy setup, and I don't need to carry anything else.
Ridge Ghost

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Revis

Postby CurlyTail » 03 02, 2015 •  [Post 69]

Havalon X 7
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby pointysticks » 03 02, 2015 •  [Post 70]

Havalon guys.

this que is NOT to offend. okay?

can you guys sharpen knives? i just recently kinda figured it out. for me it was a Japanese waterstone and an old leather belt with green compound smeared on half. i did EVERY knife in the house and it was fun!! for awhile it was touch and go, and i seriously considered a Havalon. we actually used one a few weekends ago. SNAP!! we buried a blade deep into the shank of a hog. it was not easy to take out, since it was partially imbedded. it works awesome, yes!! (i think the BOLT would work for me). but i didnt like switching blades with my greasy, bloody fingers. and i love the job of knife sharpening. the sound of a blade gliding on a wet j-stone is intoxicating.

are you a Havalon fan because you cannot sharpen?
pointysticks

Postby chipick » 03 03, 2015 •  [Post 71]

I am a tig welder, and keep a 1/8" diameter, full length tungsten electrode with me they are around 7" long and as long as my blade don't get too bad off it will put a shaving edge back on. Just use it like a steel.

I have a havalon, and the Gerber version. The Gerber one has a push button blade relice and is orange, you do lose about 3/8" of blade use from the button, but it ain't the tip of my finger.

I use both ridged and scalpel blades.
chipick

Postby Brendan » 03 04, 2015 •  [Post 72]

I love my knives, have a semi-custom blade and a buck that I've had since my teens as a gift from my dad. And, I have my dad's lockback buck. Every deer I've killed has been processed by those knives - lots of sentimental value. I have a benchmade EDC that is in my pocket everywhere outside of my office.

But, when I'm Elk hunting I have so far chosen the Havalon (Granted, one season, one Elk). Reason one? Weight. Multi-tool, Havalon, Spare Blades weigh less than one of my fixed blades with sheath plus small stone to re-sharpen. I'll take any weight savings I can get because it most certainly adds up with all the little things I'm carrying. Reason two - Simplicity. Switching a blade once or twice is less effort than re-sharpening. I mentioned it above, but I also keep a super-lightweight multi-tool with me that makes it super easy to switch a blade even with bloody hands, and the multi-tool has a myriad of other uses. So, to answer the question above - yes I love sharpening, but not when it's hot and I have a 600 lb animal on the ground in front of me that I'm worried about getting broken down, into game bags and cooled so it doesn't spoil.

Notice I didn't say "It's sharper". A nice fixed blade sharpened and honed correctly is a thing of beauty... And, the havalons are certainly not more durable - you do have to treat them differently - even with the stiffer blades you can't just plunge it into anything, twist or pry. You have to cut and slice and let the sharpness of the blade do the work.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby pointysticks » 03 04, 2015 •  [Post 73]

Brendan. Makes sense!total sense. Thx.

My cheapo Mora weighs less than 4 oz. It is a lazer with the carbon steel blade. I did a deer from gutting, opening the rib cage to attempting the pelvis bone cut (failed miserably) and then boned it out without blade touch up. I love that dumb knife.

It's simple. No parts to break or lose. And if I get lost and I need a knife to build a fire, I have it. I pack every day hunt like I might screw up and need to stay out at night. It hasn't happened, came close but my brother found me.

( I loved your "thing of beauty" comment. Haha)
pointysticks