Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Buy one or get rid of it.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Buy one or get rid of it.

Postby Lefty » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Guys were getting closer.
What are some items not going to hunt camp this year.
And what are some extras you will be bring along.

One of these days I'm going up to set trail cams and prep a place or two for tree stands, Tree stands first time in elk camp

Any last minute or monthly purchases?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Buy one or get rid of it.

Postby 7mmfan » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Upgraded my spike camp equipment. New backpack stove and cooking equipment, sleeping system, water system. Decreased weight and increased my quality. Our base camp list hasn't changed much I don't think.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby toolman » 08 05, 2020 •  [Post 3]

i traded for a Big Game double ladder tree stand...problem is its only 18' to my feet...anyone know where i can buy a couple of ladder sections? (Oregon)
their web site does not offer and i tried calling with no luck...

looks like i need to fab some up.
toolman

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 05, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I need to learn how to make a bowstring for my new recurve that my grandpa built in high school and just gave to me. Hopefully I already have arrows that will tune for it!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I bought a solar panel (100W) and have an inverter to charge up my Mule. I got the e-bike last Fall. I am getting rid of some junk in my camp kitchen. I just cannot carry one of everything for every cooking situation.

Toolman, can you come to Warren Oregon? I will sell you a couple of ladder stands. They are 15 foot each. I do not know if they will mate with your ladder. I also have a bunch of hang-on stands I will part with for a good price.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Beendare » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

My stuff is pretty dialed from decades of bowhunting.

I am trying to make my home made saddle more comfortable [with a plastic insert seat] as I like packing it vs a tree stand for those remote sits in the mountains.

___
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 16, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I think i need to take my 3-9 scope off my .308 and replace with a 1-8 before i head to idaho in november for deer / cougar / wolf. Problem is, the only 1-8 ive found with a proper hunting reticle is the most expensive option. May just bite the bullet and order one in a couple days here. Be kind of silly having a $2600 scope on a $600 rifle, but its the only 1-8 available with a reticle i like, so i guess its what i need to do.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Wawhitey, Leupold will do custom reticles for you on any scope I believe. Give them a shout.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

didnt know that, ill keep it in mind for the future. Cant remember now if they even make a 1-8. Anyway i foubd out the zeiss victory v8 1-8x30 has a reticle i like and i found a killer deal ona factory blem unit so i scooped it up.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 10]

wawhitey wrote:,, Be kind of silly having a $2600 scope on a $600 rifle,.

I wore glasses as a kid , right eyed dominant, left handed shooter. My first gun was a cheap Stevens semi loader with a 3/4" scope. Gun was crap, scope was crap. .22 shells were crap.
I had a neighbor that was a champion archer, and Centerfire champ.
My first new rifle was a Ruger 10/22, Cost under $33.00 with tax. Gene took the gun out to Charlie , his gunsmith who tapped the gun for 1" scope.

I was a rich little kid, worked my butt off delivering newspapers, corn detassled, mowed lawns , bait worms, and the biggie , $1,300 of $2.00 a lb copper the summer I was 13. And bought Two scopes that cost $225, MEC re loader, Ithaca 37A, .222 Remington 700 and a .308 Remington Carbine, and oddles of shells and reloading supplies. And I shot alot

With the eye sight I had (Lasic in 96) I became a real shooter ( with Genes help) . While my taste for quality glass is still there There is no way I could spend $1000 ( well more) on the scope I would like to have,..

I like fine mil-lines,
hate dots, peeps, And still dont trust my turret scopes.

Some Washington/Oregon state buddies do a lot of long distant shooting, C****** was a Marine sniper and retired SWAT trainer, You can buy a good hunting rig for what they have into their scopes, and "cheap" guns
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:
wawhitey wrote:,, Be kind of silly having a $2600 scope on a $600 rifle,.

There is no way I could spend $1000 ( well more) on the scope I would like to have,..

Theres always a way, its just about priorities. I dont spend money on the frivilous crap that so many people do. Tv, new cars all the time, $6 coffees every day etc etc. And i live well below my means, small house, old paid off truck etc. I spend enough time hunting that its important to me to have the right type of equipment to fit my hunting style. That being said, if somebody made a $400 scope with the magnification and reticle i want, id buy it. I have a couple of the vortex strike eagles in that price range but dont like the crap horseshoe dot thing. The only 2 options currently on the market that fit my requirements in those categories are expensive swarovski and zeiss. Luckily i found a blem zeiss 1-8 for 1500 instead of 2800. If somebody would make a basic, non illuminated, simple reticle 1-8 scope at a good price point id slap one on every rifle i own.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2020 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote: have the right type of equipment to fit my hunting style. .

And thats what is really important.
Ill spend more on rifle shells, but ducks and geese get the very cheapest the under $100 a case shells

Smart man about your budgeting, just warning,.. their may be some female in the future who wont value some items the way you do :lol:
Lefty