Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What did you do today to get ready for elk II

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What did you do today to get ready for elk II

Postby Lefty » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Or something like that!

Last years post Was inspiring to me
Thanks to who ever started that post. There were a few posts that motivated me,
buying backup items for Camp early on( and still using with the Covid situation)

One morning I was out the door early early , placed a few extra trail cams from bear locations to elk locations. Then much of the yearly prep work I completed a week or two earlier.
Then when ever I saw Swede post I would remember to go out and shoot

So!
What did you do today to get ready for elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: What did you do today to get ready for elk II

Postby 7mmfan » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Took my vitamins.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Let me back up a little. This spring I purchased a set of solar panels for camp energy and to feed my Mule. Mule is an e-bike for those that are new here. I had my favorite rifle re-barreled to 308W, but will probably just use it for deer. I could try it on a bear if I filled my elk tag early.
Today as usual I am hunkering in the bunker so to speak except I will go on a three mile hike here is a few minutes. After that I need to do some bow pulling exercises. I do them year round, so it is nothing new to get used to when it is time to start practicing my shooting.
To top off my day by harassing Lefty. It is sorta like pie alamode after a good dinner. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I woke up! Just trying to survive and heal right now.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby saddlesore » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Just in from riding 6 miles Starting to leg up the mules.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 6]

7mm, Pervagen and the little blue pill are not vitamins. I just hope you are not taking the Prevagen so you can remember what the blue pill is for.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I ordered two wall tents. One for my partner in Ohio. I sold my 10x12. Up until this morning I had every intention of bumping up to a 12x14. But at the last minute I got to thinking how nice it would be to have a dinner table and chairs, a saddle rack, and maybe even an indoor shower. So I pushed the button on a 14x16. Do you think 2 guys will fit in there? I got a 4 way angle for the top front of the frame so I can extend the ridge pole and run the tarp out an extra 8 feet for a front porch.

Of course a bigger house needs a bigger furnace so I sold my Outfitter model cylinder stove and I’m going with the biggest, the Yukon. And what the heck if you’re gonna live in the Taj Mahal ya gotta have hot running water too so I’m getting the water jacket for the side of the wood stove. Yes I did all that today. :D

Next week I’ll buy a new tarp for the top, paracord for that, and a mesh tarp for the floor. Then the 1 inch emt conduit to cut the poles for the frame.

You could pretty much ask me any day of the week what I did to prepare for elk season and I’d have an answer. I’m a planner, I like to be comfortable, and I’m a gear junkie.

Did I mention I drew up plans for a shooting bench to build out of lodge pole pines in not one but two strategic locations! Lol. Success is where preparation meets opportunity baby!!! 8-)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 8]

You are going to love that tent Joe. I got mine from our sponsor, The Wall Tent Shop, and really enjoy it. It is set up like you are describing, including the wood stove, but I went with the 12X14 tent size. My brother liked mine so well he got an identical one. I have not had the opportunity to use my wood stove yet as we are always under fire restrictions when I hunt. Even a spark arrestor does not make it acceptable most of archery season. I am hoping to go on a rifle deer hunt and try out that stove. I hate seeing it going to waste in the shop just sitting there.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:7mm, Pervagen and the little blue pill are not vitamins. I just hope you are not taking the Prevagen so you can remember what the blue pill is for.

I can't even remember what Pervagen is, so I darn sure won't remember to take it. Blue pill... pfft.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 10]

7mmfan wrote:I can't even remember what Pervagen is, so I darn sure won't remember to take it. Blue pill... pfft.

If you can't remember what Prevagen is, you need it. Besides, that is what they all say. :lol:

BTW: Did anyone see the cartoon where two moonshiners, when caught at the still tried to convince the revenuers they were making hand sanitizer?
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Swede I wouldn’t buy a tent anywhere else! The Wall Tent Shop has the nest tents out there and brother I’ve used them all. On top of that his prices beat the pants off of every other brand AND SHIPPING IS FREE!. The tent I just sold was from Rich too... great guy.

I used to own two 12x15 tents. You can fit three hunters in there and it’s great for two. You always have to think about having a flat spot big enough for your tent. I already know the only 3-4 places I’ll ever set it up and there’s plenty of room. I’m pretty excited to be getting into a 14x16. I owned two of those as well as two 16x18s and they are nice. Instead of a cot taking up a substantial amount of space they just sit out of the way over in the corners. There will be 9 feet between cots! I’m going from 120 square feet to 224. Nearly double. I feel like I’m moving into this house! :lol:
Attachments
FE9EE8F2-5CED-424C-B610-8A919E1D2923.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Billy Goat » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 12]

wife and I took the goats for a lap around the neighborhood. I dont know if the miles are helping the goats, but me + momma like it.

also agreed to terms on some used pack goat saddles, panniers, etc 2nd hand. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I was sent the 14X16 by accident, and was told I could keep it. I thought long and hard about it, but had this nagging feeling I could not set it up without help. I can handle the 12X14. I still wonder if I made a mistake as the extra room would have been nice.
All of the folks at the Wall Tent Shop were super helpful, but I doubt they would have been waiting at my camp site to help me set up the 14X16,but I am not sure either. I did not ask. As I said they were great to deal with.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 14]

We have a 15x18, and I have set it up a few times solo. It is a bit of a challenge, but with a little forethought it can be done no problem. It is great for 3 guys, and a veritable Taj Mahal for 2.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 05 13, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Its been two weeks since Ive seen elk,.. I was going up tomorrow to set bear baits and trail cams. I need my mountain fix.
I had to pick my daughters dog up from the breeder.
Flying down the interstates I saw 5 , no six, deer? Those are elk :lol:

Oh and started downloading Avenza maps on my phone . Not sure why,.. Ill never get to hunt the places we atv. Maybe hit the low elevation Beaverhead next week
Lefty

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Dang it guys, all this wall tent talk has me wishing I'd been born soon enough to hunt the Yellowstone migration with my dad and uncles and grandpa. They used to set up a tent up the Taylor fork of the Gallatin I believe. Stayed out there the last week of the season every year. That hunt is a bust anymore, with all the elk down low on private by the time the snow hits. I'm not sure if it's even an OTC hunt, or if it's draw only now.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 17]

I just bought a whole pig for making elk sausage, I better shoot a elk. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:Swede I wouldn’t buy a tent anywhere else! The Wall Tent Shop has the nest tents out there and brother I’ve used them all. On top of that his prices beat the pants off of every other brand AND SHIPPING IS FREE!. The tent I just sold was from Rich too... great guy.

I used to own two 12x15 tents. You can fit three hunters in there and it’s great for two. You always have to think about having a flat spot big enough for your tent. I already know the only 3-4 places I’ll ever set it up and there’s plenty of room. I’m pretty excited to be getting into a 14x16. I owned two of those as well as two 16x18s and they are nice. Instead of a cot taking up a substantial amount of space they just sit out of the way over in the corners. There will be 9 feet between cots! I’m going from 120 square feet to 224. Nearly double. I feel like I’m moving into this house! :lol:

Indian is that picture off of 26 in Wyoming. It looks so familiar????
Fridaythe13th

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 19]

As a matter of fact it is. Wind River area. I loved that house with the beautiful colored cliffs behind it so much I stopped the motorcycle and took a picture.
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 20]

STOP IT!!!!! No more talk about wall tents. You BETTER not post any pictures. It is driving me nuts. I do NOT want an increase in elk fever in May. Like Swede says, you guys are a bunch of JERKS! Did I just agree with Swede??? :o

I stay in an enclosed trailer. I do have a 10X10 Alaknak as well should I want to ATV in aways.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 21]

It started with an old 9x9 umbrella tent, then an army GP medium , then an army 6 man octagonal squad tent, then a 16 x 22 wall tent.Nice 4 guys,kitchen wood stove. Other guys stopped going, Then I got a 12 x 15. Nice for two guys. Gave all that up an d camped at the trail head with a stock trailer.Then a slide in pop up camper that I still have.Now had a Luxe Megahorn tipi ,but have not used it except a few summer over nights.
Best by far were those pack ins with a good comfortable wall tent and wood stove. Miss them a lot.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Tigger, you may not be real bright, but if you continue to quote Swede, people will at least think you are. :lol:
Swede

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Besides practicing safe distancing and doing my daily exercise, I am narrowing down areas to scout. Picking and choosing just where to scout, starts off big for me. Now I am getting a plan together for how I will spend my time out in late July and maybe early August.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Tigger wrote:STOP IT!!!!! No more talk about wall tents. You BETTER not post any pictures. It is driving me nuts. I do NOT want an increase in elk fever in May. Like Swede says, you guys are a bunch of JERKS! Did I just agree with Swede??? :o

I stay in an enclosed trailer. I do have a 10X10 Alaknak as well should I want to ATV in aways.

8-)
Attachments
IMGP0891.JPG
IMGP0891.JPG (204.45 KiB) Viewed 48126 times
20170925_162405.jpg
20170925_162405.jpg (300.67 KiB) Viewed 48126 times
20141012_092143.jpg
20141012_092143.jpg (312.39 KiB) Viewed 48126 times
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 25]

I might keep my saddles in an Alaknak!
Attachments
4A003950-7324-4C8E-A545-C0E23B673DF5.jpeg
4A003950-7324-4C8E-A545-C0E23B673DF5.jpeg (101.02 KiB) Viewed 48125 times
7C3EC6C0-D785-4C22-B20C-B4824478710E.jpeg
6AB34E12-7F10-46D6-9B21-49D9464EBC63.jpeg
E9597376-BAF7-41B7-85F7-BD1A705C14C0.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Only difference is I like my stove pipe coming out of front wall .Easier to tarp the tent.Where I hunt it is all pine and it soots up the chimney so it is easier to get at and clean if it comes out the front
saddlesore

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Indian Summer wrote:As a matter of fact it is. Wind River area. I loved that house with the beautiful colored cliffs behind it so much I stopped the motorcycle and took a picture.

I love that area it's my favorite on my 1 trip a year out west.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Here I am quarantined and you pukes are starting to irritate me with your elk camp pictures. It reminds me how our house will be filled with the smell of pastries in the oven. When they come out and I begin to gaze at my favorite cherry pie, my wife says; "get back and keep your hands off. They are for our daughter." Don't daughters do their own baking anymore?
Anyway it is impossible to be satisfied with just the sight and scent of fresh pies, and those pictures just cause me to want to load the truck and utility trailer, and head for the mountains again. I can't complain though, as there is just a couple of months left until it is scouting time again.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Before you get all excited Swede about elk camp, remember it can be really uncomfortable too. Warm pie with ice cream is a darn sight better.

image.jpg
image.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 48112 times
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Vince, I try to for get those hunts. There have been a couple of pies, I would rather forget too.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 31]

Nice fellas!!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 05 15, 2020 •  [Post 32]

So today I went and bought 21 ten foot sticks of conduit for cutting my frame poles. Holy mackerel I’m paying the price for comfort. $200! I’m going to pick up new stove pipe and a damper next. That’ll be another $75. I hope my stimulus check shows up one of these days! :shock:
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2020 •  [Post 33]

Swede wrote:s just a couple of months left until it is scouting time again.

Did a little cruising again yesterday. Saw three bulls with 3 cows
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 15, 2020 •  [Post 34]

Lefty spent part of his valuable time just trying to harass Swede. I don't get it. Swede never bothers anyone.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 16, 2020 •  [Post 35]

That’s called licked the spoon Swedemeister! He who stirs the $h1t must lick the spoon!
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2020 •  [Post 36]

That is a left handed spoon. I have been minding my own pot. sort of. ;)
Swede

Postby ishy » 05 16, 2020 •  [Post 37]

We just started baiting. Most realistic prep possible, I won't put that much on my back and hike for any other reason.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby juglow » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 38]

I'm with Joe on being a gear junky lol. Although, I have no need for a wall tent for my style of hunting, you guys have me wanting one now. you all suck lol!

Couple things I am trying to prepare as it relates to gear is to cut down on some weight. I'm trying to cut 10lbs out of pack (currently weights about 50lbs every year with 4 days of food). I just purchased a trekking pole seek outside tent that's going to shave a couple pounds ;-). Can't wait for it to come in the mail.

As far as training, I never stop because it sucks getting back into it and the muscle pain so I've gotten into a routine to train for elk year round.
Traditionally, I start 6 mile, 50lb weighted pack hikes with about 1,200 foot elevation gain, memorial day weekend and go every weekend until labor day. I am a flat lander, so the elevation gain is from the bottom of a mountain to the top then jog back down with a high altitude training mask.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby Indian Summer » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 39]

Today’s accomplishment.... checking my tracking number at least 25 times to see where my tent is! It was supposed to deliver yesterday but didn’t. The first half of today it said on truck for delivery. Then this afternoon that changed to expected delivery tomorrow!

Tonight I’m going to cut the poles for the frame. New floor arriving on the 27th. I’ll eventually set the whole thing up in the yard with no tarp and let it get rained on a few times so the shrinkage takes place. Then after a few hot sunny days in a row when it’s bone dry I’ll fold it up and put it back in the bag. I can see me sleeping in it for one night because well.... what kid doesn’t get excited about playing with his new toy!
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 40]

I think they got mixed up in Idaho and shipped your tent to my address. :shock: They must have picked up the different address from an old order I made. Your last name begins with "F" and mine begins with an "E". That makes things just too easy for mistakes to happen. Anyway Joe, can you ship me those frame pieces you won't need now? I will send you an old Viet Nam rain poncho in exchange. The poncho is in mint condition, besides the tent is just too heavy for me to ship. I might get a hernia, Covid 19 or something.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 41]

You wouldn’t know what to do with it Swedester! You already said you don’t know how to set up a 14x16. You’ll end up pulling your bow muscle then you’ll have to rifle hunt... from the ground! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 42]

Indian Joe, PM me where you want the poncho sent. It will be sent out as soon as I get the tent frame pieces. :lol:
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 43]

I started pressure washing the house. How is that getting ready for elk season you may ask? WELL. I have to replace some bad siding and repaint the house this summer. The quicker I do it, the more time I'll have for elk hunting related items and activities. Sometimes, all this house work is a real drag.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 44]

Today’s accomplishment: I told my general foreman that i intend to work without missing a single day this entire year... until October 9th. After that he won’t see my until November 2nd. Yep taking 3 weeks off this year. If we tag out early I have the ability to return to work early. If that happens I’ll carry the says over to next year and do the same thing.

Tent was delivered today! Yay!
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 45]

Pics of the tent or I don't believe you got it!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 46]

And next year no elk hunting. I waited 8 years to be able to draw a Region G mule deer tag. I’ll hunt the entire season.

Here ya’ go Tigger. It’s heavy! 75 pounds for the tent alone fire/water/mildew treated.
Attachments
8601FD25-D71C-442A-941C-BE96056A9126.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 47]

Joe, I was surprised at how heavy that tent is, were you surprised or did you know just what to expect?
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 48]

I knew what it weighed Swede. Specs are on their website. The fire treatment adds 9 pounds... but a must. I will never pack the tent into the hills. I’ll always have a partner to set up and take down. Actually I have a method where I can set any wall tent up by myself including ones even bigger than this.

I don’t think the FedEx driver was as happy about the delivery as I was. There was a note clearly posted on the front door requesting he put it on the side porch. It’s literally less than 10 feet away with no steps. It has a roof which is why I made the request. But he flopped it right against my front door under the note. I’m guessing a few F bombs were delivered with it. The steel angle kit which totals 15 angles along with 12 extra couplers was all in the same box which made it one hell of a load! Haha :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 49]

I can read the specifications too, but it was still a shock to my system. I got the angle kit and the fly too. I got the large heavy stove which is a strain in itself. Don't the fed Ex drivers have a hand truck for loads like your tent? I have a grandson that likes to camp with me. I think I will cultivate a hunting partner so things will go easier when setting up the tent.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 50]

Indian Summer wrote: You’ll end up pulling your bow muscle then you’ll have to rifle hunt... from the ground! :lol:

now.... that was just sh%tty....

and purty danged funny. :) well played.
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 51]

The tent weight specified is without extras like windows and screen door or lines attached. For me it gets heavy to set up by myself, but is doable. I would guess I set it up the same way most people do if they have no mechanical assist. When you think it is just lifting a corner of a 75. lb. tent; consider you are lifting a steel frame and a significant portion of tent that is going up with it. The Wall Tent Shop people advised me that a 12X14 tent is about all one person can normally handle alone. At age 72 and being only 5' 6" I kinda doubt I am over average. I say this just in case anyone is thinking about buying one. A 12X14 is not the Grand Hilton, but plenty for two or three hunters, and their gear.
One of these years I may go to rifle hunt Montana elk. Maybe Joe will stop by and help me set up the tent. Or maybe better yet, he can show me how. :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 52]

Indian Summer wrote:And next year no elk hunting. I waited 8 years to be able to draw a Region G mule deer tag. I’ll hunt the entire season.

Here ya’ go Tigger. It’s heavy! 75 pounds for the tent alone fire/water/mildew treated.

What a load! :shock: How are you going to haul that thing all the way to Wyoming on your Harley?? :roll:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 53]

>>>---WW----> wrote:What a load! :shock: How are you going to haul that thing all the way to Wyoming on your Harley?? :roll:

My cousins are big Harley guys
I think Joe will do the same.
Put the bike and tent in a trailer and have someone truck it
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 54]

You’d be surprised what I can take on the Harley. Yes... even the tent would fit!
Attachments
9EB1F674-5390-486F-9B54-A4DCC5F94380.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 55]

Now Swede comes out as being 5'6"? Man, we have a lot of short people on this here forum. Wonder why that is? I feel like a giant at 5'10". Is anybody over 6' here or is that one of the limiting questions on the application? :lol:
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 56]

Tigger wrote:Now Swede comes out as being 5'6"? Man, we have a lot of short people on this here forum. Wonder why that is? I feel like a giant at 5'10". Is anybody over 6' here or is that one of the limiting questions on the application? :lol:

I'm your huckleberry.

I stand 6'5" :D
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 57]

I used to be 6' 2" but have climbed the mountains and packed very many heavy loads. The loads included things like a 1/2 elk or the 14X16 tent. They have just wore me down. As I went sidehill in the Cascades; one leg would get shorter that the other over the years, so I started to tilt on level ground. It was such a bummer I had to go back to the mountains and start hiking around in the opposite direction to get both legs even. It is unfortunate that a worn limb or a worn down back just does not regrow.
As a notice to all flatlanders, let me provide this warning; when your back bone wears down, your belly will start to pooch out. Then you will need to hike more to keep that from becoming a problem, and it is a vicious cycle. That reminds me it is about time to go for my morning 3 mile walk.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 58]

I'm between 5' 8" - 5' 10" depending on which convenience store I'm leaving. In reality, I'm luck to be 5' 8" and 160#. Peak hunting weight is closer to 150#. I feel good that I carry the same pack and just as much elk meat as my 6' 2" 225 hunting partner. It's nice to know I have him around though for heavy loads, and when we run into an overly ambitious girl at the bar during elk season. They always prefer the tall guy, and I get more sleep. :lol:
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 59]

Drew my license yesterday. Cut my poles after work today. Hoping for no rain tomorrow to show Swede how one 5 ft 6 inch man can set up any wall tent by himself. It’s not that hard really. Even easier if you use a small step ladder.
Indian Summer

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 23, 2020 •  [Post 60]

Put in for my draw hunts in Idaho today. It’s a win win, it I draw a get a really good bull/buck tag. If I don’t I get to hunt with my bow
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 23, 2020 •  [Post 61]

Went shed hunting and found a few. Got a great workout
Elkhunttoo

Postby juglow » 06 01, 2020 •  [Post 62]

Started my traditional 6 mile hiking regiment on Friday and will continue through Labor Day. First weighted hike of the year for a flat lander = sucked lol.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby Swede » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 63]

I am shooting again, and riding the Mule. I have a way to go to be ready for season with my shooting. I hit the bullseye with my first shot which was at 40 yards, but things started getting farther out after that. I did not miss the target, but could tell my muscles are not used to the strain now. I still have three months to get them in better shape.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 64]

Hunted out of a tree stand the past two days,.. just in case I dont have partners a few days during the elk season. those safety harnesses can be a mess if twisted around
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 65]

Did tons of house and yard work. Got mostly caught up so I started to try and fix my four wheeler. Nice when they run. Hunk of junk when they don’t
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 66]

Snuck up on a cow elk today ( on accident ) and got about a 5 minute lesson in elk vocalizations. Alarm barks to be specific. Mouthy old broad just wouldnt shut the hell up. :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2020 •  [Post 67]

Whitey: How did the elk and deer do through the winter up your way? How is the wolf situation?

I shot my bow again yesterday. I shot only four times so my group was fairly good at 40 yards. I an certainly no 80 yard shooter. That darn Mule (e-bike) was tiring me out on our 8 mile daily trip, but I am adjusting well now.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 06 06, 2020 •  [Post 68]

Well the elk barking at me was in idaho. As for the winter up here, it wasnt bad, i think the critters did just fine as long as they could dodge predators. The wolf situation isnt good at all, always getting worse, but i feel at this stage our overpopulation of cats and bears probably has a bigger overall impact on our herds. We have been getting some positive changes to our bear and cat management though, and last year our fall bear harvest went up dramatically as a result. I have zero hope of this state ever managing wolves though. Hell, the states wolf plan is an agreement with the people that if x and y happens, a wolf pack will be lethally removed. This year the criteria have been met yet again, and thanks to our governor, the state has broken its deal with the people and will not be removing wolves that have met conditions for lethal removal. Theyre breaking their word, not holding up their end of the bargain. They can no longer expect people to cooperate with them or play by the rules now.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 06 07, 2020 •  [Post 69]

Got my Quick-Stix and mounted them to my trekking poles today. Two minute install. I put Thread Lok on the screws so they stay put. They go together very smoothly and quickly. 2 seconds and I have a set of shooting sticks. Pretty happy with them.
Attachments
9067E75D-BA5F-4313-B566-C3F5DFAB3455.jpeg
DA241E9F-0C6A-49A1-B7D5-67F149D45639.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 06 08, 2020 •  [Post 70]

I like it. That looks sharp.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2020 •  [Post 71]

Rain, rain, rain. It seems like Summer will never arrive here. I went out for a three mile hike this morning and got my feet wet. The wet grass and nasty weather is keeping me inside a lot, so I may not shoot my bow today. I hope to get back to it as soon as possible.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 06 09, 2020 •  [Post 72]

I agree. Rain is slowing me down a lot too. I have a few different exterior home projects I need to complete before I can get serious about hunt prep stuff, and all this rain is really throwing a wrench in it.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 09, 2020 •  [Post 73]

Yep, have had a ton of the liquid sunshine up/over my way. Actually dusted the Darton off last night and flung a few arrows down range. Fletched up a 1/2 dozen new projectiles a week? or so ago. Starting to get some good evening hikes in and can sure feel the rust. What do they say about getting old? :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 06 09, 2020 •  [Post 74]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Yep, have had a ton of the liquid sunshine up/over my way. Actually dusted the Darton off last night and flung a few arrows down range. Fletched up a 1/2 dozen new projectiles a week? or so ago. Starting to get some good evening hikes in and can sure feel the rust. What do they say about getting old? :lol:

You're not old you're just experienced! All that wisdom is heavy that's why you're sore. The fact that I'm not sore from my workouts just means I'm not experienced enough. Has nothing to do with being probably the youngest guy here. :lol:
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 10, 2020 •  [Post 75]

Pushups!!! Surgery? What surgery?! This guy is back!!! (not really recovered fully, but I'm faking it till I make it)
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 76]

Malachi, don't make me come over to drag your lazy butt out just to go on a hike. We are still practicing "social distancing" here, so you are safe for awhile. Anyway heal up, but push yourself enough to move toward full recovery. Best wishes.

I will be on my hike in a few minutes and hope to shoot my bow this afternoon. Malachi, you can come over and drag my lazy butt out for the excursion.
Swede

Postby Wyldwood512 » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 77]

I did some more e-scouting w/ Google Earth, it seems like I could stare at sat imagery forever.

Going for a training hike this afternoon, aiming for 4-5 miles, 1000' elevation with a 40 lb pack. Need to work up to 50+ lb and double the elevation by October!
Wyldwood512

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 78]

Welcome to the forum Wyldwood512, glad to have you on board. Sounds like you have an aggressive workout program and will definitely be ready to walk where the elk walk come hunting season!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 79]

I’m just waiting for Idaho to get there draw results posted
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 80]

Nearing the end of my 2nd week of morning workouts. Getting up at 4:30 and training for 30-45 minutes. Going to start adding a 30# weighted hill climb to it next week. Not going to get the hiking and backpacking in that I wanted to this summer by all appearances so going to have make due with the home workouts.

Hoping to shoot this weekend to chrono my new 7 mag load and get a new dial on the way from Leupold.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 81]

Hot here yesterday and today. Went for a flatlander hike in the mornings, but that is about it. Oh, I did hold down a lawn chair down at the lake talking with my buddies, does that count?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 82]

Tigger, that is great preparation for tree stand hunting. Did you find yourself looking around a lot and listening for the sound of advancing critters?
Swede

Postby poisonarrow » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 83]

donkey packing.jpeg
donkey packing.jpeg (254.01 KiB) Viewed 47300 times
Training my donkeys to pack. They are so much fun.
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby Indian Summer » 06 18, 2020 •  [Post 84]

To get ready for this year’s elk hunt I opened the mail today. A nice birthday present too! Hit the 55 mark today. Happy birthday to me! Always a beautiful sight!
Attachments
479ED7A0-3B2A-4FC9-BE10-7F60EE7E7DF4.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 18, 2020 •  [Post 85]

Happy birthday!!!

I worked on remolding my house for my wife...I will do the same tomorrow. The fastest I can get this project done the sooner I can hit the hills scouting. Also had my 2 trail cams I ordered come in the mail today.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 86]

Yikes Elkhunttoo! Never heard of anyone "remolding" a house. Most people get rid of the mold! You wont be short of penicillin though! :lol:

Happy Belated Birthday Joe! Hope you had a good day.

Set back today while walking/running this morning. While I was running, my left calf started getting stiff then quickly a bad cramp. I can hardly walk now. Never had anything like this. Really tender. Had my wife try and rub it out and about went through the roof when she touched it.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 87]

Usually I can walk off a cramp even though I need to take it easy. I hope you can get your leg back in shape soon. In the mean time sit back in your easy chair and have your wife fetch. :D Tell her Swede says she needs to take good care of you, especially after she just about maimed you for life. :lol:
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 88]

I would love to sit in the easy chair, but I have things to do. We got a new grill to replace our 20 year old one and I have to put it together after work. The leg is not any better after sitting at work this morning and taking two Naproxen Sodiums. Swede, if this continues until fall, I am going to have to hunt out of a tree stand and you are going to have to carry me to it!

Sad part is, it is just a beautiful day outside.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 89]

If your thumb is still strong enough to operate the throttle on an e-bike or ATV, and you want to hunt I think you could be a tree stand hunter.
Swede

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 90]

Well, I shot my bow, did my exercise including my Mule ride and hauled off the trash. I also talked with my grandson to coordinate our scouting trip in late July.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 19, 2020 •  [Post 91]

:lol: :lol: I must of been in a hurry tigger, I’ve never miss spelled anything in my life. Just ask my wife and kids ;)

Pulled the bow out and will hopefully shoot it later tonight after my sons baseball game.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Old school » 06 22, 2020 •  [Post 92]

Drug my carcass out of bed and walked a 5 mile loop with a light pack - 20 lbs. Didn’t do too bad, but glad I’ve got 3 months to get in better shape. Shot my bow Friday. Lethal out to 30 yards - lol. Will work on form etc... to get that distance out to 50 before mid Sept.
Old school

Postby bowpackerrob » 06 22, 2020 •  [Post 93]

Been a while since I have been here. 3 mile run, bicep and back work out in the weight room
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 22, 2020 •  [Post 94]

Put in my time off request at work for elktember!! Hopefully shoot a few arrows tonight.
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2020 •  [Post 95]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Put in my time off request at work for elktember!! Hopefully shoot a few arrows tonight.

Me too brother. 4 days scout trip in July and 3 weeks for wapiti in September. My boss knows I’ll be putting in for a bit more time for later in the year for deer and late WA ML wapiti. My boss was born and raised in Idaho, she understands ;). Hiked with wife and pups tonight :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 96]

put my pack on for my walk this morning. felt good. it was cool too. too early for the fever....
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 97]

Another 4:30 am wake up and weight training session followed by 2 mile walk and hill climb with 30# on my back. 3 weeks in and can really feel the difference.
7mmfan

Postby Old school » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 98]

Shot my bow some and walked 3 miles with a light pack again. Making progress.
Old school

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 99]

Bought a new truck, 2020 ford 150 xlt.
tonight I'm going to look at toppers.
Does that count???
Fridaythe13th

Postby Tom Grates » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 100]

Today I ran 3.2 miles before work, waked 4 miles this am and lunch, probably bike tonight.
Pretty much every day I talk with Joe, my wife bitches cause I can talk to Joe for an hour on the phone, and when she calls I ask her why she called me.
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 101]

I just finished an eight mile e-bike trip. I keep the bike in mode 1 and never touch the throttle so I get a good workout. I am sweating pretty hard as it has finally turned hot here.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 102]

Swede wrote:I just finished an eight mile e-bike trip. I keep the bike in mode 1 and never touch the throttle so I get a good workout. I am sweating pretty hard as it has finally turned hot here.

Swede how does that bike do functioning as a regular old mountain bike without the power? Our group has been discussing these, but we still hunting many places in WA where they aren't legal in non-motorized areas. If they rode well enough without power, I might consider getting one to use where I can, and take the battery out for where I can't.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 06 23, 2020 •  [Post 103]

The e-bike is too heavy to operate without the battery. In that situation the regular mountain bike is lighter and better. In mode 1 with the power on, the e-bike is superior. I can use my e-bike on roads that are too brushed in for a pickup truck and I can hide it close to where I walk in to my stand. In the past I have had people come around because they figured the hunter must have a good stand somewhere close because the saw my truck there all day on a regular basis.
I like my e-bike. If you get serious I would consider the Bakcou Mule, and get it through E-Bike Generation. Tell John you caught his add on Bowsite for a 5% discount. If you tell him I sent you, I an supposed to get a little kickback, but tell him I want to pass it on to you. I don't know if that last part will work or if I really get the kickback, but it was offered.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 104]

That's good info. At this point, they're just to expensive to consider getting something that I'll only be able to use in a handful of places locally. If I can't operate it without the battery, then I probably can't justify it. Plus, my mountain bike riding into local hunting spots is a critical part of my training before the main event in Idaho every year. Grinding 5 miles and 1000' elevation really gets those legs burning!
7mmfan

Postby Tom Grates » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 105]

I have been considering an E bike for turkey and whitetail hunting at my cabin in the Allegheny National Forest, but agree, the price really needs to come down
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 106]

If you watch Camofire regularly you might spot a good e-bike for $1,000 off any comparable offer. They have been offered like that in the past. I don't think they will be able to come down from that unless they compromise on the bike or start manufacturing them like hotcakes.
I took Mule out again for another eight mile run and I purchased my deer and elk tags. I am not ready yet, but plan to shoot the bow this evening to help things along.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 107]

I went out to shot my bow. I have no idea what happened to my release.
So shopping at Sportsman's tomorrow :(
Lefty

Postby Swede » 06 29, 2020 •  [Post 108]

I got back on the Mule for another 8 mile ride today. I made better speed after a day off and some rest. I also shot my bow again. The shooting was ok. I should have held a little higher as I was farther out than I estimated.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 06 30, 2020 •  [Post 109]

Elk hunting costs a few bucks... so today I went to work again! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 110]

I ate a second breakfast. Having a darn hard time gaining any weight after the surgery. Still stuck 20 lbs below my normal fighting weight of 195.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 111]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I ate a second breakfast. Having a darn hard time gaining any weight after the surgery. Still stuck 20 lbs below my normal fighting weight of 195.

Wish I could give you a few pounds.
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 112]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I ate a second breakfast. Having a darn hard time gaining any weight after the surgery. Still stuck 20 lbs below my normal fighting weight of 195.

Stay on it mister. Nothing worse than a skinny Malachi! :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 113]

I ate some elk. I always say, you gotta elk in your system to get elk :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 114]

Trumpkin, it is not just how much you eat, but what you eat. Keep working at it you will gain that weight. I wish I could help, but my wife says I have enough weight. Sorry.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 115]

I have 10 pounds for sale that I would let go real cheap! Ice cream...pound the ice cream!

Went for a hike with my pack on this sticky morning. Dewpoints in the low 70s. Yuck.

Now that it is July, can we officially declare we have elk fever? Asking for a friend.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 04, 2020 •  [Post 116]

Shot the bow this morning...felt great, now back to working on the house
Elkhunttoo

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 04, 2020 •  [Post 117]

Tigger wrote:I have 10 pounds for sale that I would let go real cheap! Ice cream...pound the ice cream!

I'm allergic to dairy AND gluten! No pasta, no bread, no ice cream, etc. Ever tried to gain weight on sweet potatoes and rice? :lol:

I'm about to do my pushups and weighted lunges. I strongly suspect I won't be ready for elk this season, not that I won't be in hunt shape, but from a pack out perspective. But I'll be damned if I'm not gonna give it hell till I know for sure.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby B4 » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 118]

Saw a few comments about erecting wall tent solo. I use a 12 X 18 tent and typically erect by myself. Here is the trick.....i have a 2"x6" about 4 ft long with a V cut in the top. Put one corner on the the board (in the V)....go to other corner on wall and put your post in...then put your post in by the board. I also have used a second shorter board to put along the wall about half way.
B4

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 119]

Welcome to the forum B4. I have to admit that your explanation is as clear as mud to me, but I may be a little slow on picking up on these things. Feel free to join in our conversations and share. Again it is good to have you with us.
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 120]

Well it wasn't today, but this weekend I modified my pack belt so I could actually wear it properly with my temporary pouch. With all this Covid crap going nuts again I may not get my second surgery in August, so I'm finding ways to do the things I like to do in my current condition.

Once I modded the pack belt I threw 50 lbs in it and started doing step ups. :D

Oh, and I also got this bad boy shaving sharp! If you're looking for a new pocket knife, the Benchmade Bugout is sweeeet. This guy is going to be my do all backpacking/hunting knife.
benchmade.jpg
benchmade.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 46469 times
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby B4 » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 121]

IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (55.25 KiB) Viewed 46471 times
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 46471 times
pics of how i use 2 x 6 board with V cut in top to erect wall tent solo....start with bottom pic and go up
Attachments
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG (47.61 KiB) Viewed 46471 times
B4

Postby B4 » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 122]

i screwed up the sequence up on tent set up...first the frame on ground....then tent on frame...then set up one side with tent poles...then 2 x6 in corner on ther side...then i pick up other corner
B4

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 123]

Thanks B4. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 124]

Hiked and hiked some more with pack. Oh, ordered a chunk of batteries for scout trip game cams and all other hunt gear battery needs.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 09, 2020 •  [Post 125]

I got a large pack of batteries at Costco yesterday. I shot my bow and I am getting my shot pattern pretty tight again at 40 yards. The arrows would all go in a pie plate, so I am satisfied things are coming along.
I had my colonoscopy yesterday too, and it seems that turned out good. I had two polyps. If they are benign then I am supposed to graduate to not needing anymore exams.
Right now I am getting ready to take Mule out for a ride.
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 09, 2020 •  [Post 126]

Swede wrote:I had my colonoscopy yesterday too, and it seems that turned out good. I had two polyps. If they are benign then I am supposed to graduate to not needing anymore exams.

Congratulations! You've got me beat in that department. :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby 7mmfan » 07 09, 2020 •  [Post 127]

I skipped my morning workout and hill climb today. It seems I've inspired a few other guys locally because yesterday I was joined by 2 other guys doing the same thing. Hopefully my hill doesn't start getting crowded. Starting next Wednesday, I'm upping my pack weight to 45#.

Going to try and get away for a long hike Saturday. A little scouting/trail clearing into a high country spot I want to hunt for bear and deer this year.

Really need to get out and shoot my 7 mag. I developed a new load that seems like a winner, but I need to chrono it and see how it compares to my last load.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 07 09, 2020 •  [Post 128]

went for a hike with my pack. ho-hum. Need to start shooting my bow. Hope I can find it!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 07 10, 2020 •  [Post 129]

Double hill climb this morning 45 minutes and 2.5 miles of up and down up and down with a 30# pack. Got sweaty.

Have a 10 mile hike planned tomorrow with approx 3000' of gain. Will be going in with full pack. Should be a good workout. I expect to come out a few pounds lighter if from mosquito bites alone.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 07 10, 2020 •  [Post 130]

3.5 mi with a 25 pound pack. cool morning...started off at 61 degrees.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2020 •  [Post 131]

Drug out, loaded with batteries, formatted cards, and programmed a six pack of game cams for scout trip in nine short days. Shot a few arrows and hiked around property with the pups. It’s getting closer :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 18, 2020 •  [Post 132]

Just got home from a family reunion towards lefty’s hunting grounds. My brother and I walked up to where we “used” to have a tree stand. We were unable to pull it out the last year we hunted that area and I guess someone needed it more then us because it’s gone. It was great to be in the old stomping grounds though. Saw right around 50 elk. Cows and calves were sure talking this morning, just a beautiful day in the elk woods :)
Elkhunttoo

Postby js80138 » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 133]

Most realistic practice I could imagine. I submitted the write up on Virtual Campfire.
js80138

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 134]

Elkhunttoo wrote:,,, I guess someone needed it more then us because it’s gone. It was great to be in the old stomping grounds though. Saw right around 50 elk. Cows and calves were sure talking this morning, just a beautiful day in the elk woods :)

The area we elk hunt there is still 2 stands over a bear barrel and cameras from 2 years ago in the spring. The bears have eaten the stand seats. Im sure the batteries are dead
A week back my wife and I hiked into the Beaverhead, Idaho side, to another bear setup, Those guys did a lot of work to get in there.
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 07 22, 2020 •  [Post 135]

Added 10 more pounds to my backpack, making a 40 lb pack. Finishing up my run on the hill this morning. When it's done I'll have 2 miles, and about 500 feet of elevation gain. Not huge, but good work. I've also counted half a dozen bunny rabbits.
Attachments
20200722_061432_30.jpg
20200722_061432_30.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 45932 times
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 22, 2020 •  [Post 136]

I shot a dozen times yesterday at 40 yards. All arrows were in a seven inch circle. To be honest that is as good as I have ever been. I am feeling good about the start of bow hunting season. The Lord willing, I should be ready.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 22, 2020 •  [Post 137]

11.8 miles with my pack on since Sunday night. Another 3.5 without pack. Shot on Sunday. All arrows would have been a dead elk. Hitting a couple inches high though. Will have to change that.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 29, 2020 •  [Post 138]

Had the day off so I ran out and put up 7 trail cameras. Lots of good sign. We will hang 2 more next weekend and work on our ground blinds. I do have one spot that needs a tree stand but that might have to wait until next year. Planning on sitting the first part of the season and then see where we are at for the last half.
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 07 29, 2020 •  [Post 139]

Graduated my morning hill climb pack to 50#. My knees felt it. Have my first backpack hunt planned next weekend 7/8/9 so I'm going to work that 50 pounder until about Tuesday and then take a break.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 140]

7mmfan wrote:Added 10 more pounds to my backpack, making a 40 lb pack. Finishing up my run on the hill this morning. When it's done I'll have 2 miles, and about 500 feet of elevation gain. Not huge, but good work. I've also counted half a dozen bunny rabbits.

I use to enter a number of competitive packing contests. Voyagers Pack and Bear Pack
Bear pack was a course set up strickly weight. I made one course with 410 lbs
Tied for second on a voyagers pack, the guy that won was a steroid user. .43 of a mile in three minutes 15 sounds, only 15 foot elevation: up, then down

Took us 4 hours to cover 2mies up and two back 1200 foot elevation with water and snacks, legs felt rubbery after the down hill :cry: My wife got 16,000 steps :lol:
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 141]

Indian Summer wrote:Elk hunting costs a few bucks... so today I went to work again! :lol:

Made me laugh Joe, Thank You!!
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 142]

No thanks!
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 143]

Here’s a link to my scouting trip yesterday morning.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 144]

I was reading Crunch time,.. then panicked, No 1:00 AM or in my case 3:00 AM panic
I rounded up all the camo I might use for elk season, tossed in the wash And rediscovered my bino case may really be gone($12.00)
Packed any outside items that will be going to camp,,.
a rug for the door,
hand washing water jug
outside shower

Emptied my pack and washed it in a nano silver laundry wash, wow was it dirty :shock: Ive been using it year-around with the hope of wearing it out, 18 years old and no sign of wear.
Put together a list of items:
replace the painters plastic maybe a bino case and a cheapo head lamp is going along instead of just my namno light,.. which may have been left on a tree on a hike :?
Ill load the pack up with all the items still laying around . All items will be in a plastic bag until right before the hunt,..otherwise Ill be double and triple checking,.. this should help not zipping and re zipping even though I know what is in each pocket.

Plan to shoot a little tonight,.. a bit scary I did had a rollover on the ATV chasing cows Thursdays. My shoulder still doesn't feel right,.. that trouble maker 950 lb black angus steer might not live to 1200 lbs or even the end of August :evil:

Im making a change from over the years. Im buying all new underwear,..

ooops I need to start collecting 1/3 rolls of toilet paper too!
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 145]

I have been riding a nine mile loop once a week,but today I got the pack saddle out and panniers.Loaded up the panniers, with gear I am taking on a scouting trip in a few week, adjusted all the rigging on the pack saddle and loaded the pack mule up. I ponied it around thru the trees long enough to make sure he remembered everything from last year. Didn't have any wrecks
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 146]

saddlesore wrote: Didn't have any wrecks

I think we deserve a rodeo or wreck story.

Think of it as a start on your life story or autobiography ;) for the grand kids
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 147]

I just ordered the 12 volt adapter for my CPAP.
sewed shut a couple hole in my hoodie
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 148]

Went and shot the 7 mag today, for kicks. Three 4 shot groups, all sub .5 moa. She's dialed. Hitting the hills this next weekend for bear. Will be the first trip fo the year and will be the pack refining trip. Upgraded lots of backpacking gear this year, so hoping to press that stuff into service.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 149]

7mmfan wrote:Went and shot the 7 mag today, for kicks. Three 4 shot groups, all sub .5 moa. She's dialed. Hitting the hills this next weekend for bear. Will be the first trip fo the year and will be the pack refining trip. Upgraded lots of backpacking gear this year, so hoping to press that stuff into service.

Nice ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Coyote_Cowboy » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 150]

This is the type of thread that’s gets me jacked up! I texted my hunting partners tonight and asked/challenged them with the same question... it’s accountability, comradely and spurring one another on.

I have been walking 3+ miles with 52# on my back while pushing the baby stroller (approx 40#) with the wifey and dog. That checks a few boxes. Then a 15-min sandbag WOD. Plus 5 arrows before bed.
Coyote_Cowboy

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 151]

Got up early this morning and jogged 2 miles. Now going to work and try and make a buck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 152]

I bought new marino wool, nylon type socks12 pair and 10 sets of underwear. Washed it all with nano silver rolling it up and in a single bag.
Tossed in a new headlamp. Ordered a camo high necked long sleeved shirt and hoody.
Been doing irrigation my new Pronghorn boots and sending a few arrows into the target
And just recieved my 12 volt hook up for my CPAP
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 153]

I harassed Lefty some and am getting ready to go on a bike ride. It is a little too hot now, so I am waiting for it to cool off a bit before I mount the Mule.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 154]

Wife and I sit bows for a while tonight. Decided to switch back to the old broadheads. We were both shooting inconsistent with crazy amounts of movement. shot a few with the old ones and both shot great so we took care of that problem.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 155]

yesterday did a 4 miler with 28 pounds in the pack. shot some arrows. Not overly happy with my shooting. the bow was fine, the operator just seemed a little shaky. struggled to hold that pin steady. Need more practice. Today I got up to go hiking and looked at the weather. Went back to bed. I love laying in bed listening to it rain. I think I could do that all day long.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 156]

Today it was a three mile hike.
I thought about harassing Tigger, but was too excited about preparing for the hunt to give him the treatment he so richly deserves. Tigger really deserves the best harassment I can unload on him. We don't want him getting anything less.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 08 13, 2020 •  [Post 157]

Thanks for wishing me your best Swede! I surely do appreciate it. :D
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2020 •  [Post 158]

Think nothing of it.
Certainly best wishes for this year's hunt. Get another big one for all of us to admire.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 13, 2020 •  [Post 159]

Bought an elk tag! YES! I've been watching and waiting for a few to be returned and this morning the stars aligned. I will be hunting elk in Idaho again in 2020.
Attachments
elk tag.PNG
elk tag.PNG (113.1 KiB) Viewed 44931 times
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2020 •  [Post 160]

7mmfan wrote:Bought an elk tag! YES! I've been watching and waiting for a few to be returned and this morning the stars aligned. I will be hunting elk in Idaho again in 2020.

Excellent! Great news Rory; time to switch planning gears and get ready for your 2020 spud state elk hunt!
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 08 13, 2020 •  [Post 161]

I'll be going in with a deer and elk tag again. Going to be a great time. I have what I believe to be a championship plan already prepared. We know how the best laid out plans often turn out though.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 162]

7mmfan wrote:I'll be going in with a deer and elk tag again. Going to be a great time. I have what I believe to be a championship plan already prepared. We know how the best laid out plans often turn out though.

Nice!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Billy Goat » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 163]

smoking 3 chickens right now for use in various elk camp meals, which will all be cooked tomorrow.

also seeing if I can setup our 16x16 army tent solo. a couple guys from our group cant go up early this year. if I can setup the tent solo, I'll go in a week early (arrive Sunday) and they will arrive late Wed. Failing that..... I'll wait and leave with them.

so I'm going to do my dangdest to set that tent up solo!

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 164]

Billy Goat wrote:smoking 3 chickens right now for use in various elk camp meals, which will all be cooked tomorrow.

also seeing if I can setup our 16x16 army tent solo. a couple guys from our group cant go up early this year. if I can setup the tent solo, I'll go in a week early (arrive Sunday) and they will arrive late Wed. Failing that..... I'll wait and leave with them.

so I'm going to do my dangdest to set that tent up solo!

Those smoked bird meals sound tasty! Good luck on the big ol' Army tent; sounds like a beast for one guy to set up :o
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 165]

I'm also going to do some smoking for our camp meals this year. I've been saving a couple choice pieces of backstrap for this season. Going to smoke them up, vac seal them and pull them out to serve with a big ol' side of buttery mashed potatoes and green beans somewhere around October 15.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 166]

I did my hike again this morning. It is getting too hot to be out in the afternoon, so I need to start early. I will shoot my bow this evening. I should get some credit for haranguing Lefty and Tigger, as it too gives my cardio-vascular system a workout.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 16, 2020 •  [Post 167]

I checked the 15 day weather forecast because it now has idahos opening day on it. I'm sure it means about nothing because usually they have a tough enough time predicting tomorrow but it's fun to see that we are that close. Today I'm going to shoot the bow and start getting everything in the pack.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 168]

It’s crunch time. When the number of days before you leave gets smaller the list of what still needs done starts looking bigger. All the little loose ends add up. Yesterday I had a little shopping spree. A collapsible garbage can, 100 feet of reflective 1/4 inch rope for the new tent, the little fire starter logs, 4 sections of stove pipe and a new damper, Pipe and a fitting for underneath the metal shower basin, a 4x4 to support the shower basin, pipe to make a shower curtain rod, shower curtain, a new tarp for the bigger wall tent, and antifreeze to winterize the camper before I leave since freezing temps will surely be in Pa before I get back in November. Back at it evenings after work and going shooting on Sunday to see what I can do to 800 yards. Busy busy!
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 169]

Been doing a high mountain hike each of the last 4 weekends. Usually 8-10 miles with several thousand feet of gain. Man my legs feel good these days. Guns are dialed, ammo is loaded, meals are cooked and packaged. We're getting everyones travel schedules dialed and plans for opening day of elk, even though I'm the only one with an elk tag in our group this year. It is an exciting time of year.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 170]

I think I was in pretty good shape for the hunt. I packed out my elk on my own. It was all up hill too.
Today I was getting ready for my next elk hunt. I am hoping to go again in 2021 if my Lord is willing. I have to admit it is getting harder and I don't expect many more. Anyway I am cleaning up from the month long outing and starting to put things away. I have several days of work to get it all done.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 171]

Couldn’t find my brand new spare headlamp and of course a backup is mandatory. Of course I had to buy a new pair of gaiters to justify the $9 shipping cost. Me and Tom are on a roll this week. He ordered the portable hot shower yesterday.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 09 28, 2020 •  [Post 172]

6 inch target at 800 yards. Tom crushed it out to 600 with his .300 short mag. As long as conditions are right and we have a little time the bulls are in trouble again this year.
Attachments
7AF978B3-C4F1-4586-B383-B9F56A0C64C0.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 09 30, 2020 •  [Post 173]

Gaiters showed up today. The XLs fit my Kene Mountain Extremes perfect and they are VERY well built. Triple Gote Tex lining, heavy Cordura in the wear spots and a snap buckle tensioner up top. The Spot 350 headlamp is like the sun too!

I built the wood frame to support my in house shower basin too. Also cut the poles for the frame extension for the front porch on the wall tent. Tonight I’ll pack my clothes and then it’s on to checking off every item on the gear list. Unfortunately after sticking around the shooting range longer than expected I need to reload a box of elk missiles. That wouldn’t be such a big deal if my case tumbler hadn’t died! Gotta go buy another or meet Tom somewhere to borrow his. People who only go to the beach have no idea what “packing for vacation” is like for elk hunters! :lol:
Attachments
299FCE72-2B89-497A-AF08-9854F9493529.jpeg
A52F186B-1F54-4368-A1FA-7F38741DBFEE.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 09 30, 2020 •  [Post 174]

I smoked a couple racks of ribs and got them vac packed and frozen. That will be one hell of a camp meal. Got all my gear washed and waterproofed. Spike camp is basically already packed in my pack ready to go. I do need to get out and confirm my drop as the load I developed this summer is different than the dial I had made for my scope. They should be close but I want to see how close. Should be pretty minimal difference out to 500 which is my max comfortable yardage at this point.

Just need 2 weeks to disappear so I can wake up in the elk woods!
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2020 •  [Post 175]

Best wishes on your hunts I.S. and 7mm. It looks like you are ready. Hopefully we will be seeing how all of your preparation has paid off.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2020 •  [Post 176]

Bought an auto lighting torch for the 1 pound propane can last night. Makes starting fires a breeze with less kindling and more importantly I’ll use it to do a final drying on brain cavities in skulls so they are extra legal for transport. Tumbled some brass after borrowing Tom’s case tumbler in preparation for reloading tonight. Busy busy!
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2020 •  [Post 177]

Bought an auto lighting torch for the 1 pound propane can last night. Makes starting fires a breeze with less kindling and more importantly I’ll use it to do a final drying on brain cavities in skulls so they are extra legal for transport. Tumbled some brass after borrowing Tom’s case tumbler in preparation for reloading tonight.

Also ordered the hot water jacket for the wood stove. Great for dish water, washing hands and face, or doing a little hand washing on merino base layers. Busy busy!
Attachments
90414D48-8028-4B47-8341-1A9519B59F78.jpeg
90414D48-8028-4B47-8341-1A9519B59F78.jpeg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 42491 times
Indian Summer

Postby Billy Goat » 10 01, 2020 •  [Post 178]

grocery shopping tonight.

final staging tomorrow.

roll out on Saturday. :)

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 02, 2020 •  [Post 179]

Will hike into one of my local W WA elk spots today with smoke pole in hand (last few days of ML black tail season is open), replenish apple pile, switch cam card, and check elk sign. Elk ML season opens tomorrow/Saturday. There’s a small band or two of elk that swing thru on occasion, hoping to catch em’ as they travel thru over the next week. My OOS archery hunt was cut way, way short in SEP when partner had to pack up and head East to help his pop out so this W WA gig is my outside chance of putting an elk in the freezer, we’ll see ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2020 •  [Post 180]

Good luck RJ. I hope your hunt is productive and you have to pack out a big one.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 10 06, 2020 •  [Post 181]

Three days until departure. Last night packed all gear, clothes, and food got packed. I borrowed a 6x12 enclosed trailer for the trip. It’ll be easier to pack than the open utility trailer and it’ll make for a nice storage area in base camp. Family time the next two nights other than getting new tires on the truck. Tom will be over on Thursday to load the truck and trailer. I’ll take the Harley to work Friday regardless of the weather. Going to get on the road asap after work.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2020 •  [Post 182]

Best wishes on your hunt Joe. It is nice to have Tom help load the truck and trailer, but it will be better to have him help pack out the elk.
Swede

Postby GoGriz1234 » 10 06, 2020 •  [Post 183]

Made a 2 gallon batch of posole rojo, a big pot of beef stew and a pot of shredded beef for nachos. All are in the freezer and will be vacuum sealed this weekend. I’m jealous of all the guys hitting the road already!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Tigger » 10 07, 2020 •  [Post 184]

Joe! It's time! Game on! I am jealous of you right now for sure. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your bull version 2020. Be safe, make good decisions, and take time to really enjoy the hunt. Especially that last part. Take some notes so you can make us really jealous with a day by day account of your trip. I will pick up your shifts here at WapitiTalk while you are gone.

We always use an enclosed trailer and I love it. We sleep in it often and everything is dry.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 10 07, 2020 •  [Post 185]

No guarantees on a bull Tig so don’t get your hopes too high. I know I’ll see them and I’ll probably get a couple opportunities. But there’s no telling if human error will come into play. Plus passing up bulls early can definitely come back to bite you in the hind quarter! Family night last night was stressful last night. I just wanted to finish getting ready. I wonder what everyone said to me while I went over my checklist in my head! :lol:

Dropping the truck off tonight for tires. I’ll feel good about having new rubber underneath everything.

I always keep a journal. It’s harder than some might think. Ling days can mean skipping a night and then getting caught up you can forget stuff. I have my flag, puppie and and toddler jammed in a plastic tote though so hoping for some good pictures!
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 07, 2020 •  [Post 186]

Best of luck Joe! Anxious to hear how you do in the Cowboy state, 2020. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Old school » 10 07, 2020 •  [Post 187]

Joe - I envy you right now. Be safe, Shoot straight and I look forward to hearing your hunt recap.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 188]

Mitch I thought you were hunting this year?

Camper is winterized. Glad yo have that done. Truck dropped at the tire shop. Tonight we pack, tomorrow we drive!
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 189]

Joe - I waited too long and all the Idaho tags sold out a lot quicker than I expected. Then Colorado plans fell through. Next year we will hunt Wyoming. Looking forward to that.
Old school

Postby Lefty » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 190]

I have almost everything ready, and cleaned up from archery elk, goose gear ready,
My wife wants the boat going for a fall big fish trip
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 191]

Joe I hope the fires out west arent going to goof you up. Especially that Mullen fire, that thing is HUGE! On second thought, you better not go. Best to stay home and learn to knit.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 192]

About to head to my Dad's house to help him get loaded up. Bugger took 2 full weeks off work and is leaving for elk camp (deer camp only for him hahahahaha!!) tomorrow. I'll join him and my uncle next Wednesday.

Shot again today after my rifle took an unexpected plunge out of the rifle case onto the garage floor. Note: Don't let 3 year olds "help" you with your gun case. She was off a little, but is back on and killing milk jugs at all distances between 0 and 500.

My packing is basically done, all piled in the garage ready to deploy. Just a few more sleeps...
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2020 •  [Post 193]

7mm: Best wishes to you and your hunting party. Let us know how things go.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 194]

Last sleep done. Got the Garmin Inreach activated and paired to my phone. Trailer locked and loaded. 8 quick hours of work and on the road. I’m ready!
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 195]

Good luck Joe!

I'm looking at maps of MT currently. Trying to decide where to hunt in November.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby GoGriz1234 » 10 17, 2020 •  [Post 196]

Making a large batch of meatballs to freeze and vac seal. I also made a last minute impulse purchase and got a pair of Vortex Viper 12x50 binos to help with the glassing. Catching an airplane on Wednesday and should have base camp established by mid-day Thursday. Getting excited!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall