Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Back from Idaho

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Back from Idaho

Postby 7mmfan » 10 24, 2019 •  [Post 1]

This is the "Other Big Game" portion of our Idaho trip. I'll add a portion in the elk forum as well when I get a few minutes.

Man what a trip to Idaho this year. Got home yesterday and got things sorted out, back in the office today completely worthless. We had 4 hunters in camp for most of the time, and everyone had their opportunities.
We left home at 2:30 a.m. and arrived in camp on the afternoon of Saturday the 12th. Got camp set up and headed out to cut firewood. Had just a few minutes of time to glass that evening and didn’t turn up much. I was the only one in camp with a deer tag and I only had 2 days to get it filled before elk season opened. I was confident I could find a decent buck in some of our tried and true areas, but I wasn’t going to be overly picky.

Sunday morning came and I was up and out well before anyone in camp was stirring. I had a couple mile walk to get to my starting point. 45 minutes before light, I was sitting on a hillside, sipping hot coffee from my Yeti thermos and listening to elk bugle their heads off below me. What a way to spend the morning! It was cold and still, and as light slowly came on, there was little to view before me other than the elk that were still chatting away. I got up and slowly moved on to the next ridge. The area I was going to hunt is fairly open with some timber and brush patches, but lots of topography to hide animals. My game plan was to move from draw to draw glassing and picking them apart, and hope someone was home.

By noon, I’d turned up 5 does and an antelope buck that did not want to leave the area. He stood there blowing at me for a good 10 minutes, not 100 yards from me. I finally ran him off as I was tired of listening to him! I sat down under a tree where we’d processed my nephews first buck a few years ago and reminisced while eating a snack and some more coffee. With the full moon, I expected some mid day activity so I figured I’d just sit tight and watch. At 12:30, I saw 4 does get up ½ mile away and move down into a draw. I briefly saw another deer that appeared to be a buck but I wasn’t 100% sure what he was. I decided to just contour through the couple draws between me and where I’d seen those does. It was prime mule deer habitat with open timber and lots of brush.

I made it through the first draw, no dice. I eased to the skyline of the ridge and began peaking into the next draw over. I’d been standing there glassing for a full minute when I caught a shape in my binos. I needed to be a few feet to my right to get a better look so I did the foot shuffle quietly. It was to much though and a nice 4 pt began bounding towards the next ridgeline. I was on my pack in an instant, and trying to cow call to get him to stop. He did the normal mule deer stop and look back near the top of the ridge, but was screened by brush. At this point I still hadn’t gotten a great look at him, but I knew he was a shooter. He stepped out from the behind the brush but continued on over the top of the ridge. He didn’t appear to spooked, I wasn’t convinced that he knew what I was, just didn’t like me being there.

I grabbed my pack and rifle and high tailed it down to the bottom and up the other side. I was a huffing and puffing as I neared the top but I recovered quickly (worked my tail off in the off season, paid off big time), composed myself and eased up to the top in some pine saplings for cover. I immediately spotted a deer across from me, 250 yards away. It was a buck, but not the buck I’d just jumped. A nice wide tall 2 pt, feeding carelessly. I had a feeling my buck was nearby, as I had a good view of the whole basin and all the deer in it were calm and the none the wiser to me. I laid my gun on my pack and began picking the place apart. A couple minutes later I noticed a horizontal line in the trees/brush below the 2 pt and really focused on it. There was a white face looking at me through the brush, and just the faint outline of a very nice set of antlers. My heart started thumping as I laid down and got behind the scope. I found the spot and waited. As is always the case, it felt like an eternity, but was probably just a minute. My buck finally stepped out into the open 10’ or so below the 2 pt, just far enough to give me his shoulder. He was staring right at me as I began to squeeze the trigger. The 7mm-08 barked and a 120 gr TTSX was on it’s way. He hit the ground and did a face first death run straight downhill through the snow for about 100 yards before piling up against a tree near the bottom. Deer exploded from the draw, bounding in all directions. A 2nd buck I hadn’t seen, a nice 3 point followed half a dozen does out the bottom and the 2 pt left out the top. I laid there watching what I could see of him in my scope. I could see his antlers waving around a bit so I knew he hadn’t expired yet. As I was trying to move into a better position for a follow up shot though I heard the death moan and he rolled out from under the tree and another 50’ down the hill before hanging up again.

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG (407.58 KiB) Viewed 10447 times

As is usually the case with me, I’d taken no time to look him over before shooting. It’s a miracle that I even knew he was a 4 pt! I got over to him and was in awe. He was much bigger than I expected, and had a couple of little extras here and there that added to his prowess. He was caught in a bad spot but I had a flat spot 20’ away that I thought I could get him to for processing. This is when I found out how huge he really was. I grabbed an antler and tried to pull but all that did was loosen him from his tree and he took off like a rocket into the bottom of the draw, dragging me for about 10’ before I let go. I got down to him and finally saw him un-obscured. This was most definitely the largest bodied deer I’ve ever killed. I could not believe the size of him! I haven’t weighed out all the meat, and probably won’t, so I won’t hazard a guess at live weight, but I can say this, a 1 trip pack out was absolutely out of the question.

IMG_0670c.jpg
IMG_0670c.jpg (379.48 KiB) Viewed 10447 times

I got my pictures (thanks to the Clip-Shot RJ sent me for the August photo contest!), got to work, and an hour or so later, I had all the meat hanging in a pine tree a couple hundred yards away from the carcass. I loaded my pack with a hind quarter, the backstrap, scrap and head, and began the descent towards my exit point. It was a brushy, rocky disaster and took me a good hour longer than I anticipated despite it only being a little over a mile to the road. I was a long ways from my truck, but close to camp so I ditched my pack in the brush and walked to camp for backup. Backup wasn’t there though, they’d gone scouting. Luckily one of their pickups was there and I was able to go back and pick up my pack.

By this time, daylight would be fading soon and I was whooped. The meat was in a good spot, so I opted to leave it over night. This is the first time I’ve ever left meat on the mountain and I was a nervous wreck. The next morning my Dad and I headed in to get the rest, and everything was in A+ condition. The cold air and downhill thermals had cooled the meat perfectly. We discovered a new route into the canyon where he was, and made the in and out trip infinitely easier.

IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG (373.99 KiB) Viewed 10447 times

LIke I've said, I'm far from a horn hunter, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm a closet horn hunter and just don't know it yet? Lightening can strike twice, but if it happens a 3rd time I'm going to reevaluate some of my life choices and figure out how I've gotten to where I am.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Back from Idaho

Postby 7mmfan » 10 24, 2019 •  [Post 2]

A few more. That's not real anguish on my face, but trying to see the dang phone screen with sun shining on it!
Attachments
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG (266.96 KiB) Viewed 10445 times
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG (357.17 KiB) Viewed 10445 times
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG (359.44 KiB) Viewed 10445 times
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 10 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Great buck man, youre sure having a good year so far
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Great write up and awesome buck brother!!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations on a beautiful buck and a great story. I like the way you write. It isn't the exact same as being there, but as close as you can get while at home.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 2Rivers » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Great deer. One of these years my son and l willcash in points.
2Rivers

Postby Tigger » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Nicely done! Great buck! Great hunt! Doesn't get any better than that combination.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Thanks guys, it really was a great hunt. It was nice to go in with a plan and have it work out somewhat how I expected it to. My plans don't usually work out, my best luck is when I stumble onto them.

However, we had a couple of other good hunts while back there, and 1 of them was a plan that worked out nearly flawlessly. I'll get those ones up soon.

Thanks for reading.
7mmfan

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 9]

That is a nice buck. Someday I well get a mulie tag.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby 7mmfan » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Fridaythe13th wrote:That is a nice buck. Someday I well get a mulie tag.

Theres nothing stopping you! Lots of good Mule Deer country between you and me.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Enjoyed the shunt stories,..

Your taking some great pics Ever think of entering the photo of the month contest on Wapiti Talk :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:Enjoyed the shunt stories,..

Your taking some great pics Ever think of entering the photo of the month contest on Wapiti Talk :lol:

Someday I'll drag something out and throw it in the hat. Maybe I'll get lucky :D
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I'm jealous ! :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby 7mmfan » 11 01, 2019 •  [Post 14]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm jealous ! :D

Of what??? Look at that buck in your avatar!
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Spent yesterday making a couple mounts for my Idaho bucks. Pallet wood and old cedar planks. Felt good to make some sawdust after being cooped up in the house from endless rain the last month and a half.
Attachments
20200217_160830_25_50.jpg
20200217_160830_25_50.jpg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
20200217_160824_25_50.jpg
20200217_160824_25_50.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
20200217_160847_25_50.jpg
20200217_160847_25_50.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Awesome
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Excellent!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 05, 2020 •  [Post 18]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Great write up and awesome buck brother!!

I just reread this . Just wish a few of our other regulars would post a hunt or seasons write up
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 04 05, 2020 •  [Post 19]

So do I. People's hunt recaps are what got me interested in online hunting forums in the first place. I've thoroughly enjoyed the stories I've read over the years, and have learned an amazing amount from them as well.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 15, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Nice job, from the hunt to the write up to the pictures!!! Nice
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2020 •  [Post 21]

You write a good story 7mm and those Euro mounts look great.
Ok you kooks: I would love to write up a great story about a successful deer or elk hunt, if I had anything to write about. No game, and all I could come up with is a tear stained letter. That song has already been copyrighted.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Swede wrote:You write a good story 7mm and those Euro mounts look great.
Ok you kooks: I would love to write up a great story about a successful deer or elk hunt, if I had anything to write about. No game, and all I could come up with is a tear stained letter. That song has already been copyrighted.

Swede, I'm sure you have a great story about some blacktail buck you killed in some old growth, or a bear that took an unfortunate shower, or maybe an elk that you called into a tree stand. Or just make one up, how you wish it had gone. It's not false, it's just "creative writing", as my english teacher hunting buddy calls it.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 23]

7mm, I will write a story on a hunt I experienced. I try to tell them straight. It is hard enough to remember everything when it is all true, I would not try to remember some made up story. Would you prefer a "high five" account, or read a Tear Stained Letter?
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 24]

How about one of each? Bad news first.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Rifle elk season was fast approaching for the new 1977 season. My friend and I were anxious as we had a great spot for our eight day hunt. We left immediately after work on Thursday evening. That would give us all day Friday to set up camp and do some scouting. We left the Forest Service compound and headed east. But before we had gone 50 miles I had a flat tire. "Strange" I thought. "I must have run over a nail or something." All four tires were brand new. We pulled off the freeway and changed the tire. It was a setback, but not too big. We found a place to have the tire repaired and were soon on the way. The station attendant said "the tube had been pinched in the installation of the tube." "Ok that was some bad luck, but it is fixed." We drove another 30-40 miles and that same tire goes down again. "Now what?" We found another station after replacing the flat. Same thing, I was told. "Pinched tube." It took awhile at night to find a place to get the tire fixed, but I did not want to go on with no spare. I could not afford another flat as I had a long way to go.
After getting that flat fixed I was on my way again, but it was starting to get late. We decided to stop in La Grande Oregon and leave in the morning. It is a good thing we had planned to stay because well before we got there, as you have guessed by now that tire went flat again, and it was too late to have it fixed that night. After breakfast Friday morning, I went into a tire dealership. I told them that "I had three flats on that tire the night before and there was something wrong. "It could not be that it was just a pinched tube as the others had claimed. Please break it down and find out what is really wrong." After taking tire completely off he found there was a peach bone inside.
We finally got to camp and got set up by early afternoon. We had lunch and decided to look around. We drove out an old logging road and parked in an open meadow. We were out and looking for fresh sign when a helicopter circled overhead and then landed about 70-80 yards away. My heart sank and the passenger got out and ran over to us. I just knew that there had to be an emergency for one of us back home. When he got close he asked if we knew we were on a closed road? "No, there was no sign, and there are fresh tracks on the road out ahead of us." The F.S. man was kind and understanding. He just said "all of the roads coming off the main artillery in that area were closed to motor vehicles." We left and so did he. We looked around the remainder of the afternoon, but it was obvious the elk were not close to the main road.
For the first seven days of the season we were hiking for miles up and down some steep terrain. Rain made things miserable and we were always behind the elk. They seemed to have been there recently, but magically had all disappeared. It was getting close to the end of our hunting time when Glen, my friend said, "you know if they asked us to work this hard on the job, we would think they are crazy?" "I know" was the reply, "but we have just one more day." Sunday would be for taking down camp and returning home.
Other camps had some elk, but I could not remember seeing a live one all week. It was like we were jinxed. Finally it was Saturday afternoon and I saw a herd come through a meadow right in front of me. Several that I could plainly see were cows but I had a bull tag. Finally I saw one at the tail end of that herd, through the brush. It was huge, and the color of a bleached out gunny sack. I could see the muscle structure on the animal. "Surely this is a bull" I thought and it was the herd bull bringing up the rear. It stopped with its head in the brush. I raised my gun, but I could not be positive. I lowered my rifle and waited for it to raise its head, but it just moved forward, and out of my life forever. Finally, I was there all alone at the bottom of a large canyon, and left to wonder. Had I just passed on the biggest bull of my life, or could it have been an unusually large muscular cow? I will never know for sure. I never took the shot.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Swede wrote:,,,, if I had anything to write about. No game, and all I could come up with is a tear stained letter. That song has already been copyrighted.

Swedes song to the tune of Dont let your babies grow up to be Cowboys,...

Hunters ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold
They'd rather give you an excuse then diamonds or gold
Elk horn belt buckles and old faded camo and each night begins a new day
If you don't understand him and he don't die young
He'll probably just hunt any way
Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be elk hunters
Don't let 'em pick bowstrings or drive them old trucks
Let 'em hunt ducks and upland and such
'Cause they'll never stay home and they're always alone
Even with someone they love
Elkhunters like smokey campfires and clear mountain mornin's
Little warm puppies and children and bugles all night
Them that don't know him won't like him
And them that do sometimes won't know how to take him
He ain't…
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 04 26, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote:,,,, if I had anything to write about. No game, and all I could come up with is a tear stained letter. That song has already been copyrighted.

Swedes song to the tune of Dont let your babies grow up to be Cowboys,...

Hunters ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold
They'd rather give you an excuse then diamonds or gold
Elk horn belt buckles and old faded camo and each night begins a new day
If you don't understand him and he don't die young
He'll probably just hunt any way
Don't let 'em pick bowstrings or drive them old trucks
Let 'em hunt ducks and upland and such
'Cause they'll never stay home and they're always alone
Even with someone they love
Elkhunters like smokey campfires and clear mountain mornin's
Little warm puppies and children and bugles all night
Them that don't know him won't like him
And them that do sometimes won't know how to take him
He ain't…

Wow. The beginnings of a gold record
7mmfan