Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I elk hunt almost entirely from a tree stand. The only time I hunt on the ground is when someone wants me to accompany them. Even then I usually drag my feet and return to a stand ASAP. It seems I have much better success setting up in a tree over some good trails at a water hole. I don't get shin splints or blisters in my stand, but I view enough wildlife to pass much time at that. So why have you not tried stand hunting and what would it get you to grow a bushy tail and climb a tree?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Will Get You Into A tree Stand?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Hunting buddy and I will probably, finally, put some "tree-standing" into our hunts this year. I know this method works but we've always been too impatient to sit and wait, always choosing to deep dive for talkative bulls. After seeing a real world example of somebody employing tree standing for elk, successfully, a few years ago when Mr. Swede joined me for a spud state hunt...that was the final nudge I needed. Joe and I will head to our spot in early July this year and "prep" a few TS sites in anticipation of our SEP hunt. What is finally getting me into TS hunting for elk? Again, seeing it work in person, and just perhaps, I may be getting a tad old to hunt like I have in the past. I'm sure Joe and I will still do some diving for screamers, but, it'd sure be nice to down at least one elk where the pack isn't 62.3 miles uphill through alder hell :D.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lamrith » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Hunting buddy and I will probably, finally, put some "tree-standing" into our hunts this year. I know this method works but we've always been too impatient to sit and wait, always choosing to deep dive for talkative bulls. After seeing a real world example of somebody employing tree standing for elk, successfully, a few years ago when Mr. Swede joined me for a spud state hunt...that was the final nudge I needed. Joe and I will head to our spot in early July this year and "prep" a few TS sites in anticipation of our SEP hunt. What is finally getting me into TS hunting for elk? Again, seeing it work in person, and just perhaps, I may be getting a tad old to hunt like I have in the past. I'm sure Joe and I will still do some diving for screamers, but, it'd sure be nice to down at least one elk where the pack isn't 62.3 miles uphill through alder hell :D.

It definitely is a different style, but as you mentioned, it does work as we we saw that season with one elk and one bear down in a very odd and quiet year for the area.

If you are a person that truly likes the peace of being outdoors enjoying the woods around you nothing beats it. The woods come alive around you if you are doing it right, but it does take patience for sure. Just make sure your snack bags are sealed tight or Rocky will be sneaking off with your trailmix.

I have heard swede mention books, I think that is a great idea and something I neglected to bring when I tree-stand hunted. For me the key would be having a spot that I had either put trail cams on to know it was getting used, or at least very solid sign of consistent game usage. That and reasonable weather, climbing a tree with slippery branches and then sitting in the rain are not on my to do list, I would rather be on foot moving in that sort of weather.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 01 31, 2020 •  [Post 4]

ain't happening for elk! I do plenty of that hunting whitetails and I want to hunt differently for elk. No other reason.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 10, 2020 •  [Post 5]

As long as I can physically move around Im staying out of a stand
I had a place in the desert bull elk passed 1;3 days,during daylight hours the 2nd and part 3 week

I know I could kill an elk most years easily from a stand or blind. I can sit in a goose pit all day long, And I quit hunting deer with my dad ,. just too boring.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 04 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

small herd.jpg
small herd.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 5969 times

So I got serious for several years about sitting in a tree after seeing this wallow. The wallow is a difficult 2+ miles from the road and I thought it would be a magnet for elk pushed by hunters. I just found with as low of elk densities mixed with pressure made for really tough calling, and I will try anything to increase my odds. So after hanging a camera on this wallow for couple years and seeing pics I got more serious. One issue with North Idaho stands is there is literally water and feed everywhere. This wallow is on a ridge I originally thought was quite a ways from any other water. The more time I have explored I was wrong. There were multiple other smaller wallows all within a 1/2 mile unfortunately. I tried really hard for a couple years. One year I sat part of at least 7 days and 2 days close to dawn to dusk. I never saw an elk. I decided maybe it was the wind killing the spot and moved the stand above the wallow deciding to just sit mid day after calling morning and evenings. Then I got some action, cow calf sat in it for 30 minutes the year they closed cows for archery. Then I had a herd bull follow a hot cow right to below the wallow only to look at her walk away. He looked longingly back and forth for a minute then followed the cow leaving me with my head in my hands wondering what the heck. It was 2pm on a hot day and they just walked away without even a sip of water. If my stand would have been below the wallow where I first placed it he would have been 10 yards broadside! Still haven't gotten a shot, but haven't put much time the last three years either. Not sure if I will hunt that zone, but looking forward to going back one of these days and giving it another shot.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ishy » 04 11, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I just read SWEDES post on first bull, and remembered the herd bull that came in I had bedded just over the ridge all morning before they came in. Every 30 minutes he would let out a little grown. I had that tough choice-do you get down or wait. I waited thinking water on that hot day was my best chance. I had just finished Swedes book and thought I'm sticking it out. It almost worked. He got within range, just didn't offer a shot before chasing his hot cow.
ishy

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Ishy, that wallow looks interesting. I think I would set at it if it was in the area I hunt. I guess I have more patience, but wallows are not great by themselves. Water is everywhere in the area I hunt now, so I focus on spots where trails come together, and passes on ridges with good trails through.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

If I'm not successful in the ground builds this year I will have tree stands up next year :)
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Getting september elk season off would get me into a treestand. But being as how my only hope of hunting elk is rifle season, ill be on foot for it if im fortunate enough to hunt elk at all. That being said, this dude right here will get me in a treestand come november, if the cats or wolves dont get him before then.
Attachments
HUNT0214_copy_800x449.jpg
HUNT0214_copy_800x449.jpg (203.74 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
HUNT0199_copy_800x449.jpg
HUNT0199_copy_800x449.jpg (199.6 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby ishy » 04 15, 2020 •  [Post 11]

He could get me in a stand and excited to hunt deer!
ishy

Postby 7mmfan » 04 17, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I have hunted from a treestand more than a few times. At that time in my life I was pretty novice though, and picked poor locations. The closest I came was setting a stand up on a knife edge ridge in Blacktail country that lead from a ferny bedding area to a clearcut. I had deer walk past several times, just never the buck I wanted to see. I see myself using tree stands more in the next couple of years, but mainly for deer hunting.

With more experience under my belt, I know of some trails and water holes that I think if I set up on for more than a couple days, I would get an opportunity. I just have a hard time giving up the type of hunting I do. Oh how I love to go and see what is over the next the ridge. On an average 10 day hunt, I will spend 2 or 3 of those just hiking out long ridges or canyons to see what is there. At some point, the drive to hike 15 miles will subside, and I'll choose to spend more sitting in elky spots. I will probably bring a tree stand.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 04 17, 2020 •  [Post 13]

To answer the original question: a lobotomy! :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 18, 2020 •  [Post 14]

A lot of people pay a lot of money to go elk hunting, but will not do what it takes to get one. They do not need a lobotomy, they need a complete brain transplant. :D
Swede