Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Buying a Rifle Exclusively for Elk Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Buying a Rifle Exclusively for Elk Hunting

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Assuming a limit of $1500 or so (without scope), what would you get?
VT Sasquatch

Re: Buying a Rifle Exclusively for Elk Hunting

Postby Swede » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I would likely look for a good used 30-06 from a place like Cabelas. You can probably find a like new Model 70 Winchester under budget and leave a few dollars in your bank account for that scope or some other accessory.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I have always been a Remington fan. All of my rifles and most of my shotguns are Remington. A model 700 is a tried and true hunting rifle. Mine are tack drivers. Regardless of what you shoot when it comes to elk hunting a couple criteria are a synthetic stick and a stainless barrel. My Alaskan Wilderness rifle (AWR) is teflon coated stainless and shaved down where they could to be lighter than other morning del 700s. By a caliber you can grow with. I’m still utilizing the capability of my .300 RUM extending my range a little more every year. If I could shoot a thousand yards I am 100% sure I could kill a 6 point bull every year.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Good ideas so far. Keep em coming. That Alaskan rifle looks cool but looks to be between 7.5 and 8 pounds without a scope. Does the weight bother you?
VT Sasquatch

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I don't own one, but have always been a huge 300 WIN MAG fan. I've seen people make some incredible shots with that caliber (including my pop and older brother). Take a look at the Browning X-Bolt series, they have a ton of variations to consider.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Really all depends. A lot ov variables, but i think the 2 most important would be how far you intend to shoot, and how far you intend to pack the thing, for weight considerations. Hard to give an opinion without those two specifics.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I’m not sure. I guess that would vary. If you were given some money to buy an elk rifle today, what would you get?
VT Sasquatch

Postby wawhitey » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Me personally, id get what i already have, because i like to keep my shots close. I feel a .308 is good to go at 200 yards or less, most likely much less. I have a savage model 16 lightweight hunter in .308 with a leupold vx2 ultrslight 3-9x33 scope. Its matte stainless, synthetic, and the whole mess weighs in st barely over 6lbs, scope and sll. It shoots 1/4" groups at 200 yards with 165gr hornady gmx, and its a true featherweight. Suits my purposes. If i wanted to shoot antly further than an absolute max of 200 yards, id get a magnum. 7mm rem mag, .300wm, something along those lines. But no matter what id look for stainless / synthetic and light weight, and id also throw a brake on it, because every gun can benefit from reduced recoil. Hell, i have an identical savage 16 lwh in .243, and i have s break on that too. And waiting to pick up my new .556, and have a brake ready for that, which i will replace with a suppressor asap.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

In many ways the .30 caliber is very versatile, with a crazy number of bullet selection, and ready available.
Every thing I get tends to be multi use and budget considerations if the gun could be used for other game .308 and 30-06 can be much cheaper to shoot.

A 300 win mag if for elk only would my preference

Any of the bolt actions; A- bolt , 700 , or Savage. Ive shot have been shooters

If i had other guns an elk only I would go with a .338, I want a solid thump down range and could be used for other bigger, big game like mose or bear .

Every thing I get tends to be multi use and budget considerations if he gun could be used for other game .308 and 30-06 can be much cheaper to shoot
Get a good newer used gun and spend more on a scope
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Wawhitey
I clicked on edit instead of quote and totally messed your post
Boss may need to fire me :shock:

Lefty wrote:
In many ways the .30 are very versatile with a crazy number of bullet selection and ready available a 300 win mag if really for elk
A- bolt , 700 , or savage bolt action met elk only .338 I want a solid thump down range and if other big game likemose or bear .338

Every thing I get tends to be multi use and budget considerations if he gun could be used for other game .308 and 30-06 can be much cheaper to shoot
Get a good newer used gun and spend more on a scope

This is commonly repeated rhetoric, and it does have merit, but if your gun sucks, no scope in the world will help. A good scope on a crappy gun will just give you an extra 10 minutes of light, so you can make a bad shot closer to dark. A good scope on a junk rifle is like when you drive through a ghetto and see a POS rust bucket car with expensive rims on it.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 11]

My apologies to all
This was the response to my"edited" page

if your gun sucks, no scope in the world will help.

Absolutely.

If a gun doesn't shoot I wouldn't keep it
In my life Ive run across one "bad" shooter, I had the gun for maybe three months and was telling a buddy,,,He knew I was unhappy with the gun and wanted it and bought it.
I was able to hit the back button, copy and past to this page
Lefty

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I have 2 rifles that don’t shoot very well - both lever actions. One is a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that was my father’s. My father was not a hunter but someone gave him the rifle. I haven’t shot it in at least 10 years but the last time I tried it was around 6” groups at 100 yards with iron sights. It may have been me so maybe I’ll take it out and mess with it again.

The other is a Browning BLR Takedown in 308 Win. It was really inaccurate with every ammo that I tried until I used 130 grain TTSX. It was so bad that I started reloading just to try to figure it out. I can now get about 1” groups at 50 yards and 3” at 100. I like the gun otherwise and using it as a brush gun and snow-tracking gun for northeastern deer, it is good enough. Out here, almost every deer I shoot is within 50 yards.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 13]

As far as brand goes, I have a Sako and love it. It is smooth as butter and I believe they are guaranteed to shoot MOA out of the box. My personal opinion is that you will love or hate the rifle more because of the manufacturer than the caliber as long as you stick with the tried and true. I would look hard at 7mm Mag, 300 Mag or 300 WSM. I have the 300 WSM and again, I love it.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Here ya go! https://www.guns.com/news/2020/01/13/sa ... rch-barrel

If they msde it in .223 with a 7 or 8 twist id be very tempted.
wawhitey

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I have a Tikka in .223 and I think it is a cheap version of a Sakko. It shoots pretty well and I like the rifle. I had a Savage many years ago that I just didn't like. I have heard that the newer ones are nice but I swore them off.

What do you guys think about a semi-auto for elk? I think I am going to get a 300 WSM in either a bolt or a semi-auto. I understand the advantages of a bolt (weight, reliability, possibly accuracy) but I have about a dozen bolt actions in my safe and the semi-autos seem like they might be a fun change. The Browning BAR weighs only about 7.5 pounds (a hair less than Indian Summer's rifle) and has a reputation for pretty good accuracy.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 16]

I prefer a bolt, but it is more personal preference than anything else.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 17]

I think I prefer a bolt too but I have never hunted with a semi-auto. The only semi-auto rifle that I have ever shot was an AR-15 and I don't think I would hunt with one. I do like the looks of the Browning BARs and I like the idea of a reduction in recoil even though I don't know if the recoil of a magnum would bother me that much. My 30-06 and similar have never bothered me. I am not a long-range shooter and typically target shoot at 100 yards. I sometimes go to a public range with a 300 yard target but it is always crowded so I have not done much shooting at that range. I would feel comfortable at 200 yards but I would like a rifle that exceeds my abilities (another one really considering most of my current centerfires are more accurate than I am).
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 18]

It sounds like you really don't need another gun. The elk only thing is just an excuse. No one else here on the forum have EVER pulled such a stunt. ;)
Swede

Postby Deanmac » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 19]

I agree with Swede.

Last weekend my 15 year old son, harvested 5 whitetail does in 14 hours, Saturday PM and Sunday AM. 120, 180, 210, 250 yard shots. The 250 shot he killed two with one bullet, did not realize another deer was behind a bush. He was shooting a forty year old Remington 742 semi in 30-06. He actually won a deer rifle at the hunt, given by the sponsor to the kids involved. My son gave the gun to another kid at the event. He said that kid did not have a gun and he did.

A am not a big elk hunter, but on my only elk hunt, I took the 30-06. I have a bolt action 7MM mag, but I have more confidence in the old remington. I figure more elk have been taken with 30-06 than any other caliber.
Deanmac

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Swede: What if my wife reads this?!

I'm just kidding. I think you are probably right. I'm sure that I could get by with what I have but I have never shot a magnum but it seems it might drop them a little it quicker. I see people like Indian Summer with a 300 RUM or articles recommending a 338 Win Mag and I start to feel under gunned with what I have. I am going to enter the draw and hopefully hunt rifle elk next year. I imagine that I could get by with my 308 or 30-06 but I if so, why are 300 Win Mags and the like so popular? My good friend has a Browning 300 WSM that he uses for all of his hunting. I may borrow it and take it to the range and see if I like it. If not, I'll probably just use what I have.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Deanmac » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 21]

I friend that I went to Colorado with, shoots the 300 WSM, He likes it, but shot a bull on our last trip and we did not find. So IMO, bullet placement is the key. Also, he sure does not take this gun to the range and shoot for fun. Ammo expensive plus it kicks like one of saddlesores mules.
Deanmac

Postby wawhitey » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 22]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Swede: What if my wife reads this?!

I'm just kidding. I think you are probably right. I'm sure that I could get by with what I have but I have never shot a magnum but it seems it might drop them a little it quicker. I see people like Indian Summer with a 300 RUM or articles recommending a 338 Win Mag and I start to feel under gunned with what I have. I am going to enter the draw and hopefully hunt rifle elk next year. I imagine that I could get by with my 308 or 30-06 but I if so, why are 300 Win Mags and the like so popular? My good friend has a Browning 300 WSM that he uses for all of his hunting. I may borrow it and take it to the range and see if I like it. If not, I'll probably just use what I have.

Because they have excellent ballistics and are especially impressive at longer ranges, which everybody nowadays wants to shoot long range, and thinks thay can just buy the ability. But i really think, despite what everybody will tell you, that most people cant shoot the big magnums worth a damn. Especially when youre talking a big magnum in a lightweight rifle. Just look at any guns classifieds on any big hunting forum. Its basically page after page of big magnum rifles. Theres a good reason for that if you ask me.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Picked up a Weathermark in 300 Weatherby last year, truly I stole it. RMEF banquet for under $900. A set of Timney mounts and a 4.5-14x42 Burris E1. Work on a load this summer and call it the new elk rifle.
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Lot of good rifles mentioned. However don't overlook the Savages. For quite a few years,they have been recognized as the most accurate out of the box rifle sold. For $1500 you can get a good rifle and scope from any of the big three manufacturers. $600-$700 for the rifle will get you there. Start looking at Tikas, Brownings etc,and you get the $1000 mark real quick.

As for what chambering, I'll give my experience and advice.

I have killed elk with a .308, 44 mag, 45-70, 7mm mag, 7mm Weatherby mag, 30-06, 50 cal. muzzle loader, and 30-30 . Probably a few I forgot. I am working on my 5th dozen of elk kills at present. Realizing that each have some limitations and remembering that on the hunt, I have not seen any big difference in an elk dying when shot with any of them. Certainly the 30-30, 44mag, 45-70,and muzzle loaders fall in to that limitation realm.The others I have killed elk from 15 yards to a little pass 400. Basically it doesn't make too much of a difference on what the head stamp on the cartridge says as long as it meets the requirements of the state .ie. Colorado says 1000ft lbs,minimum 80 gr bullets. tI is more dependent on the nut on the trigger. Although certain ones will deliver that down range energy at 800 yards or so,in truth 95% of the elk are killed within 200 yards and probably 75% of those are killed under 100 yards.

I had that magnumitus problem fo ra few years with the 7 mags. Eventually I found that they only consume more powder if one is handloading and deliver more energy in reverse direction to shoulder that is required, at least in my case. Brake sdo limit thatthoughA badly placed shot from a .308 or a 300Win mag will yield the poor results just as a properly placed shot from each will yield great results.

I was fortunate enough to inherit a 1952 Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in 30-06 which has been my elk rifle for about 20 years now except in muzzle loader season or when I took the 30-30, 44 mag, or 45-70 out just for some thing different.The .06 has not failed me yet and I can't remember passing on an elk that what I felt was out of my comfort zone distance wise of 400 yards or so.
If you decide on one of those magnum shoulder thumpers, rent or try someone' s out at the range for 10-15 shots and see if you can tolerate it. They have caused more than a few hunters to develop pretty severe flinches from shooting them

Just an old farts 2 cents worth of rambling
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 25]

VT Sasquatch wrote:What do you guys think about a semi-auto for elk? .

I like my.22 in semi loader , or lever, just for the fun f it
And maybe should have a coyote rabbit semi loader for speed.
My shotguns are semi loader, again for speed
But I like bolt actions for the accuracy. My father in law use to state 1.5 inch group in a semi loader was overll as good as they get, many bolts are better than the bullets and shooter

I think I am going to get a 300 WSM
A good choice in .30. Ypou can take advantage of the magnum , or tune it down with hand loads. My father in law gave me a few hundred old 90 grain hollow points I loaded. fun to shoot those light loads
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Lefty wrote:
VT Sasquatch wrote:What do you guys think about a semi-auto for elk? .

I like my.22 in semi loader , or lever, just for the fun f it
And maybe should have a coyote rabbit semi loader for speed.
My shotguns are semi loader, again for speed
But I like bolt actions for the accuracy. My father in law use to state 1.5 inch group in a semi loader was overll as good as they get, many bolts are better than the bullets and shooter

I think I am going to get a 300 WSM
A good choice in .30. Ypou can take advantage of the magnum , or tune it down with hand loads. My father in law gave me a few hundred old 90 grain hollow points I loaded. fun to shoot those light loads

Might have been the case st one point in time, but not now. Pretty damn easy to get a sub moa ar now.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Even money I would rather have the 30-06 over a 300 mag of any case configuration. I don't care for the kick and don't need to burn all that powder to get a little more down range energy. If all I had to chose from was a 243W and a 300 mag for elk, I would have to go with the 300 mag, but somewhere between those two we get to a point where it is plenty. An 06 is plenty for elk. The rest is just more kick and higher priced cartridges.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 16, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Swede wrote:It sounds like you really don't need another gun. The elk only thing is just an excuse. No one else here on the forum have EVER pulled such a stunt. ;)

FOUL!!! Swede deserves a WT demerit for suggesting someone doesn't really need another gun. That talk is nonsense and his Man Card needs to be revoked. For the next week, Swede needs to go hang out with the old women in the basement of some church, eat lutefisk, and knit some socks as a punishment.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Real men look their wife in the eye and say, "I plan to buy a new rifle today honey."
The smart ones follow up quickly by adding, "I have not decided whether to invest in this $3,500 custom built one by Joe Schmuck gunsmithing, or if I should get this new $800 or $1,500 gun in a box. Can you help me decide?" Of coarse you have to follow up with the same routine on a new scope. The other things you add on to the gun, you can get while she is out shopping, and explain later if she ever notices.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 16, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Haha, I was mostly kidding. My wife is very supportive for a city girl who won’t eat venison. I was about to buy a 30-06 off of gunbroker today until I looked at the load data for the 30-06 vs 308. I have 2 308s. One is a Browning BLR that is not very accurate but I use it in the dense woods. I also have a stainless Remington 700 in 308 that I added a Timney trigger and a Bell and Carlson stock. The reload data is almost indistinguishable. It probably doesn’t make much sense to but another 30-06 when I already have one and 2 308s. It’s sometimes just fun to get a new rifle but if I choose to buy another one I think a bigger gun might make more sense even if I end up not liking it. At least I would know.
VT Sasquatch

Postby saddlesore » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 31]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Haha, I was mostly kidding. My wife is very supportive for a city girl who won’t eat venison. I was about to buy a 30-06 off of gunbroker today until I looked at the load data for the 30-06 vs 308. I have 2 308s. One is a Browning BLR that is not very accurate but I use it in the dense woods. I also have a stainless Remington 700 in 308 that I added a Timney trigger and a Bell and Carlson stock. The reload data is almost indistinguishable. It probably doesn’t make much sense to but another 30-06 when I already have one and 2 308s. It’s sometimes just fun to get a new rifle but if I choose to buy another one I think a bigger gun might make more sense even if I end up not liking it. At least I would know.

Only factor with an .06 compared to a .308, and to some it is important, is when,you start stuffing the 30-06 with heavier bullets like 200-220gr. However not many use them today favoring the lighter monos like TSX.

Hit and elk with a 200 gr Nosler Partition out of an .06 and it is going down
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 32]

Most any caliber from 270 being the minimum to 338 being the max are all good elk calibers. And if you are a good marksman and use the (Rule of Three) as prescribed by Warren Page in Field and Stream way back in the 1960s, you'll be good to go.

What is the rule of Three, you ask? Well basically it all boils down to sighting in your rifle 3" high @ 100 yds. In most cases that will make you close to 2" high @ 200 yds. and almost dead on @ 300. That's why it is called the rule of 3. (3" high puts you on at 300 yards) For 400yards on an elk size animal, if you hold on the top of the shoulder, it should drop right in there @400.

Of course, you need to experiment a little with your load. But basically the Rule of Three holds true for the most part and is a good starting point to begin with.
>>>---WW---->

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 33]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Most any caliber from 270 being the minimum to 338 being the max are all good elk calibers. And if you are a good marksman and use the (Rule of Three) as prescribed by Warren Page in Field and Stream way back in the 1960s, you'll be good to go.

What is the rule of Three, you ask? Well basically it all boils down to sighting in your rifle 3" high @ 100 yds. In most cases that will make you close to 2" high @ 200 yds. and almost dead on @ 300. That's why it is called the rule of 3. (3" high puts you on at 300 yards) For 400yards on an elk size animal, if you hold on the top of the shoulder, it should drop right in there @400.

Of course, you need to experiment a little with your load. But basically the Rule of Three holds true for the most part and is a good starting point to begin with.

I’ll have to try that. I usually either zero at 200 yards or set my scope to shoot 2” high at 100.
VT Sasquatch

Postby saddlesore » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 34]

I prefer to sight any rifle for big game to zero at100yards. Then compensate if I need to .Sighting in high can really screw you up shooting at steep up hill and down hill at any distance.
Since most elk are shot at less than 200 yards and many of them less than 10. It makes sense tome to sight in at a distance that you will probably be shooting at.

Of course if you are hunting big sage brush county or such , then you might sight in high.

I have loads for my .06 that print dead on at 100 yards for 220 gr bullets and 1&1/2" high at100 for180 gr bullets.However. I have killed elk at 300-400 yards with the 220gr bullet

For pronghorn,using my 6.5 Swede ,I sight it in to be dead on at 300 yards since seldom see a pronghorn much closer
saddlesore

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 35]

Alright, I am narrowing down my choices. I know a purchase is not necessary but I like buying new guns to play with. So here it is: I would like to buy a Winchester Extreme Weather and can’t decide between a 30-06 and a 300 WSM. I think the 30-06 is a 22” barrel and the 300 WSM is a 24”. I already have a bolt action 308 Winchester and 338 Federal. I’m not sure if the 30-06 is duplicating those too much. I reload so I could load a 300 WSM down a bit if the recoil is brutal. What do you guys think?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 36]

VT, you are hoot. You don't need a new gun, but want us to advise you on which one to get. Which one do you like best now?
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 37]

I think you should go a different route.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 20039 times
wawhitey

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 38]

Swede wrote:VT, you are hoot. You don't need a new gun, but want us to advise you on which one to get. Which one do you like best now?

Haha, I know that you are right and yet I obsess. If there is 1 thing that I am good at it is wasting money. My wife says that I am a hoarder. I have a spare 4-12x40mm Leupold scope sitting in my safe with nothing to put it on. I guess you are right. I'll hold off for now since I am going to have to lay out some money for a tag soon.

I work in an office and the boredom can be awful. I is a recipe for obsessing over little things about hunting plans.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 39]

You absolutely NEED the 300 Wizzum. None of you other guns are capable of killing elk (now you have read it on the internet, so it must be true), so that should be an easy sell to the wife.

Your welcome.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 40]

VT, Don't let me discourage you from buying a new gun. I have thousands of dollars worth of equipment I do not need. I just enjoy haranguing people when I can see a microscopic hole in their logic, or a way to present their point in a humorous way. Personally I would prefer the 30-06, but why should anyone care?
Swede

Postby pbgunrunner » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 41]

I did, my choice was a Browning Xbolt western hunter in 28 nosler. It's getting a MBM brake installed and will be cerakoted sniper grey when it returns. My intent is to shoot 143g hammer hunters, which run 3500fps w the 28! It will be wearing a Vortex Razor lht in Tally lw mounts. For me it was the ultimate expression of an out west rifle that shoots flat and hits hard!
pbgunrunner

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 42]

Welcome to the forum pbgunnrunner. Feel free to join in the thread conversations. It sounds like a hard hitting and interesting rifle you have.
Swede

Postby pbgunrunner » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 43]

Thanks Swede, I've actually been here a while, just went inactive for a bit! And yes, I hope once I get everything together it works well!
pbgunrunner

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 44]

pbgunrunner, you remind me of some of our church members who stay under the radar a lot. Anyway feel free to fully participate.
Swede

Postby pbgunrunner » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 45]

Grin, that's how you stay out of next weeks sermon! I have yet to shoot an elk, so most of what I can add will be in questions, not soulitions!
pbgunrunner

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 46]

We have a lot of answers here. I am just not sure they will work, but we try.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 47]

I can confirm that Swede has a lot of answers. Rarely do they match up with the question however! :lol:

How did you come upon that handle, pbgunrunner?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 48]

pbgunrunner, let me introduce myself. I am the paper towel man here. I cleanup the messes left behind Tigger and Lefty. Sometimes I feel like the toilet paper man cleaning up behind those two. Those two characters are "tooters". Tooter 1 and Tooter 2, the tooter bros. They believe the answer to all elk questions are answered by bugling at the elk. You stick with the old timers here and you will be into elk before you know it. :D
Tooter 1 and Tooter 2 could also be referred to as Tooter No Shooter 1, and Tooter No shooter 2 because they claim "no shot" whenever we have an elk hunt scenario here where we are asked if we would take the shot.
Swede

Postby pbgunrunner » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 49]

Lol, well apparently weve totally hijacked this thread...but...
I used to have a shop called "gunrunner's paintball" back in the early 90s, the email I wanted was "gunrunner@aol or whatever service I had at the time...so I used pbgunrunner as short for "paintball gunrunner" and I've had it ever since. Too much of a pita to change now!

And Swede, I'll take all advice...most with a grain of salt! Tooting or not...

I AM a gun geek, I shoot uspsa, did sporting Clay's clay's seriously for a while, we shoot slot of long range at the moment. Pretty much anything that goes bang I'm into. Being from Iowa I grew up hunting deer, but elk has always been on my bucket list! I appreciate the welcome guys...and apologize for the hijack!
pbgunrunner

Postby Tigger » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 50]

I think my wife would appreciate Swede's nickname for me but for entirely different reasons!!!

Swede sits in a tree. So we get these scenarios on the ground and he is always shoot! shoot! shoot! cuz he gets so excited he cannot help hisself! But in actuality, he would never get that opportunity because he fell asleep in his tree and his snoring scares all the elk away! :lol:

pbgunrunner, whew! I thought you might be running guns across the border. Glad it was just paintball!

Back to gun talk, I just ordered a Browning XBolt 7mm-08 for my son. It will be for coyotes up to possibly elk. Mostly antelope and deer though. Gonna top it with a Loopy VX3 I think.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 51]

Well, just picked up another Weatherby. A AccuMark in 257 Weatherby. Should have it in hand next week. Another spot in the safe filled.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 52]

I just had my Sako Forester rebarreled for 308W. I am looking forward to sighting it in.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 05 16, 2020 •  [Post 53]

funny thread. WaWhitey and I endorse the same rig, almost exactly.

My son "needed" a dedicated elk rifle and ended up with an almost exact copy of mine.

Mine is a Savage LWH with blue steel + walnut in 308 with talleys and a redfield revolution 4x12-40.
his is same except stainless + plastic.

the rifle alone weighs 5#10oz. the scope + rings add about a pound. ammo + sling take it up to right at 7# fully assembled. carries like a feather.

neither rig was particularly expensive either. I got each rifle for about $500 or so. rings + glass was about $200.

both shoot very good too, for such a LW gun.

my camp backup gun is also a 308, but is a Browning BLR in stainless w/laminate stock w/Leopold 2x7-32 in Talleys. Gorgeous. if that rifle was a couple ounces lighter and shot just a hair better, it'd be my primary elk gun.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat