Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blacktail Huntin’ 2019

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blacktail Huntin’ 2019

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Decided to sit the top of an old walk in road clearcut tonite. It’s a nice spot where this time of year, if you’re patient (IF), you can wait till right before dark and watch for does coming out to feed and oftentimes billy buck is right behind. Very small window of opportunity but sometimes it works out; it didn’t tonight. I took a nice pic of the little Browning AB3 .243 though ;). Back after them early tomorrow; only 4 days left in the early WA rifle BT season.

D5A398F1-9DBB-4428-A496-334FBD01912D.jpeg
D5A398F1-9DBB-4428-A496-334FBD01912D.jpeg (121.07 KiB) Viewed 12446 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Blacktail Huntin’ 2019

Postby Swede » 10 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Definitely a great October day in the woods. That old buck will be there soon.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Chilly morning up there today I'm sure. They're beginning to really move, even mid day in some locations. Good luck!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Out again zero dark thirty tomorrow. No buck sightings today. A few more days to get it done. Brutal hike today, feeling it from top to toe.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 5]

good luck! late morning is a time a guy should be out in this weather.... glass grown up cuts with some cover, and on a hillside the sun hits early... bucks will stand up when the sun hits them, and they GLOW when they do. some of my favorite blacktail weather, and it's very common for bucks to be on their feet in the open between 10-noon.

I know it's easy to lose confidence not seeing deer first light, but often in the cold, they will stay bedded and hidden until later, and end up where they aren't supposed to in high sun....

these deer are like us, not used to this cold weather, and want to sit in the sun :D
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 6]

No luck in early season; will get out in 4 day late season (14-17 NOV) and see what can be done about getting a shot.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:No luck in early season; will get out in 4 day late season (14-17 NOV) and see what can be done about getting a shot.

yeah buddy! I think my archery season starts on the 14th :mrgreen:

i took a buddy on the last day (fri) and we glassed up a nice 3x3 with a lady, it was 581yds, so we assessed the situation and made a move we thought would work... we got over there and couldn't see into where those deer were.... so close! I decided to stay high knowing it was on our way to the next spot I wanted to check, but that bit us... if we stayed low, like I normally do there, and didn't bump them, it would have worked out.... hindsight

when we started in behind the gate in the dark, he was complaining about not being in shape, so I didn't want to take him 1/2 mile out of our way, and figured if we glassed one up from the top we could get on him... oh well, fun morning in the woods anyways. a bit later we glassed up 4 does in the next spot.... not a buck in sight

that late season should be really good this year, the dates are good, and weather has kept a lot of bucks alive this season.... had it been rainy the last few days, a lot of bucks would have died.

I have a week to kill a buck with my bow, then elk season opens back up.... If I can't get a buck killed that first week, I will have to focus on elk mostly... a lot more meat on an elk if you only get one or the other.... regardless, it will be fun!
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

if you have time, do a little scouting around the days leading up to your late deer season. that time of year one spot can be dead, the next ridge over can be on fire (buck movement)

I sure would like some of that clear frosty weather like we have been having
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Roosiebull wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:No luck in early season; will get out in 4 day late season (14-17 NOV) and see what can be done about getting a shot.
That late season should be really good this year, the dates are good, and weather has kept a lot of bucks alive this season.... had it been rainy the last few days, a lot of bucks would have died.

That's what I'm hoping/thinking. Blue bird skies the last week in OCT up sure kept them cruising the chicks like they shoulda been doing. Yes, there were bucks taken for sure but not like on normal years (blacktail seem to move much more when there is some "weather"). Good luck on your hunt Roosie!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Love the pics

I use to hunt the south end of the Yakima area
Use to see a lot of bucks
A long hike in was my excuse For not shooting anything less than big
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Checked a few cams this morning and saw this fine fellow had swung by (1930, 2 NOV). I refreshed a bait site close by (apples/sweet cob) for the does. Hopefully, I'll see this gentleman again the end of next week during the 4 day late BT season here in WA, during the day ;).

Resize 2 NOV CC Buck.jpg
Resize 2 NOV CC Buck.jpg (118.76 KiB) Viewed 12355 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Do you have an infrared scope RJ? If you have a friend with a good flashlight you can still get the job done. :lol:
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Do you have an infrared scope RJ? If you have a friend with a good flashlight you can still get the job done. :lol:

I don’t think I can operate a hunting forum in the slammer :shock: ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Do you have an infrared scope RJ? If you have a friend with a good flashlight you can still get the job done. :lol:

Just know RJ would b in good hands with Swedes experience :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Out after Mr Blacktail in the am. Four day late season gives me little time but am gonna do my best to bring one home for dinner.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Lefty wrote:Just know RJ would b in good hands with Swedes experience

Being raised in western Oregon I have some experience with Blacktails. One of the things I have observed is that the location you spot the critters at after dark is not a good predictor of where they will be during the day. The bucks move a lot more after dark than in the day time. The good thing now is that the rut will start and the bucks will soon be following the does.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 17]

good luck out there! my season starts Saturday
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 18]

I hope you are huffin' and puffin' with a heavy load on your back!

if not, do you have some weather coming tomorrow? could be epic
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Roosiebull wrote:I hope you are huffin' and puffin' with a heavy load on your back

Ha, no but I’m sitting a nice ambush position till dark ;)
Attachments
BB8B7B81-29D0-4533-85C9-6ECD17342DF8.jpeg
BB8B7B81-29D0-4533-85C9-6ECD17342DF8.jpeg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 12300 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 20]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Checked a few cams this morning and saw this fine fellow had swung by (1930, 2 NOV). I refreshed a bait site close by (apples/sweet cob) for the does. Hopefully, I'll see this gentleman again the end of next week during the 4 day late BT season here in WA, during the day ;).

Resize 2 NOV CC Buck.jpg

that's a stud!
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Roosiebull wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Checked a few cams this morning and saw this fine fellow had swung by (1930, 2 NOV). I refreshed a bait site close by (apples/sweet cob) for the does. Hopefully, I'll see this gentleman again the end of next week during the 4 day late BT season here in WA, during the day ;).

Resize 2 NOV CC Buck.jpg

that's a stud!

He’s still out there. Heading back in the early AM to first check edges of walk in road CC, do 1/2 day of timber still hunting/maybe some rattling, then back to mini blind for sunset stake out 8-)

Good luck on you BT opener Roosie :arrow: :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Bet you were glad to have that little blind today! It was sure a rainin at first light today. Any bucks moving?
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Zero daytime movement in my two areas the past few days. Mr Blacktail beat me this year.
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Buggers.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 25]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Zero daytime movement in my two areas the past few days. Mr Blacktail beat me this year.

I talked to a couple of the critters this weekend. They were there alright. There is a reason they are referred to as "grey ghosts". You just did not see them. Now they are planning to hang out around here, eat my shrubs and poop in my lawn. Call the ghost busters and get your muzzle loader out. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 18, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Only had a modern tag Swede; in WA, you have to use weapon to use for each species. Definitely didn’t get my business done this Blacktail season :(
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Ok, Ok. So I will just have to let those two old boys come around and destroy my plants and make a mess in my yard. All because you did not spend enough time in your new shed, and did not have it facing the right direction. Well better luck next season.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 28]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Zero daytime movement in my two areas the past few days. Mr Blacktail beat me this year.

it was crazy how abruptly the activity died off.. 2 days before the season I was really excited, everything littered in tracks, and got daytime pics of a couple buck in my day and a half soak..... then totally dead!

they have not been moving at all, but I think there are signs of improvement. I did miss a couple days to take my bro in law elk hunting, and he was able to kill one, so we did half of the packing the next day.

cow elk opened up today for me, so i'm looking for bucks and cows.... we'll see. I thought that late season was gonna be great for you, almost every year on those dates is prime... weird year.

I will update on this thread if there is something to update :D
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 24, 2019 •  [Post 29]

Good luck on them bucks and cows roosey!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2019 •  [Post 30]

I think Roosie is just getting old. Those bucks and cows are around. He just can't see or find them. Keep at it Roosie. I am sure there are some critters that just want to come in out of the rain, and will allow your to take them home.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 24, 2019 •  [Post 31]

Finally gave in and went to hunt cuts, and glassed up a really nice buck, and it turned into a long stalk... and ended how they often do on the coast... way close enough but needing to make it about 3 more steps to have a shot. I really needed to get below them (doe I didn’t see busted me) but it was too thick, and couldn’t have moved quietly.

It was exciting, I made it well inside 20yds, but all for not... sure was fun finally moving with purpose
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Keep it up Roosie. You will get em.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 33]

I experienced a "first" last night, about 30 minutes before dark (maybe a little longer)

I walked this area out trying to either glass a buck to stalk, or find a good spot to sit for the remainder of the evening, it was nasty weather, and I couldn't turn anything up at all, which surprised me, it was beautiful habitat.

this is an area I used to hunt, but have not for a few years, today it's a completely different layout, so I was just walking it out trying to get a lay of the land, and look for likely spots that a mature buck would hang out within the area. I finally settled on a little draw on the edge of the doghair reprod, it just looked right.

my plan was to go find a good spot to set up, then rattle until dark. I saw a nice little spot on a point that gave me a good vantage, and a buck would have a few paths to get within bow range. I was just going on the other side of some blackberries, and of course got a little hung up in them, but finally freed myself. after I got out of that, I scan around one last time, and when I look to my right, here is a big white face looking at me! really white faced buck, with heavy dark red antlers, double throat patch and dark chocolate body. couldn't tell how many points he had since he was looking at me, but I knew he was way big enough.

he stood there like a statue like they do, I had a little cover, but he knew something was there. I unzipped my rain jacket, and ranged him at 43yds.... he was quartering away, and I decided if he stuck around, I liked my odds.

I pulled an arrow out and nocked it, and slowly came to full draw, I felt good and my pin was glued to him. I started pulling with my thumb around the barrel and the bow goes off. the string slapped the sleeve of my rain jacket, but not enough to steer the shot, just make some noise.

this is where the "first" comes into play, that buck dropped so far and fast it made my arrow look like it was flying in slow motion, I watched my lighted nock fly perfectly where I aimed, but the buck wasn't there when the arrow arrived.... damn!

I have never had anything "jump the string" on me before (that I know of) and i'm really glad I had a lighted nock, because I would have thought I killed that deer, and I wouldn't be able to find it.

I had a hard time getting upset about the situation, I had a cool encounter with a beautiful buck (it was a picture perfect buck scene) I made a good shot, and it ended up being a clean miss without question. I also was able to fight through the briars and get my arrow back.... wouldn't have found it without a lighted nock I don't think.... thick sticker bushes all over.

the frustrating part was had I not climbed the bank where I did, and stayed on the grown over little grade I was on, I would have had cover all the way to that buck, and been 20 yds closer, and would not have made noise to get his attention, I would have been walking on clay with a tall bank hiding me all the way to where I would have had a clear sight of him facing away from me.... those little details ;)

i think that buck will be back. i'll stay out of there a couple days anyways. he's a really nice 3 point.... nothing huge, just a solid mature buck i would be very excited about.

things do seem to be picking up.... 2 nice bucks in 3 days.... hope to make it 3 in 4 days in a bit. I knew they were capable of ducking the string, but in my experience, they have always watched the arrow hit them..... ignorance WAS bliss :)
Roosiebull

Postby 7mmfan » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 34]

One of the last years I bow hunted I experienced this. A decent 3 point blacktail, standing broadside above me on an old grade (sound familiar? :lol: ). He wasn't more than 25 yards away. Now I was shooting an old bow, it wasn't fast by any means, but I'd killed with it, and I was confident in how it shot. I drew, aimed, fired and it was all slow mo like you said. It felt like I was in a Matrix movie. The buck wheeled and was 2 bounds away before the arrow got to where he had been. Unreal. I bought a faster bow the next year.

I also had a whitetail buck duck the string at 20 yards with that much faster bow. That was a near miss, and the shot may have been slightly high to begin with, but it was definitely in the zone, or what had been the zone anyway. That was the last deer I shot at with a bow, I picked up the rifle the next year and started killing things again. ;)

Hunting blacktails in crappy weather is one of my all time favorite things to do. I wish the last week of October was a month long so I could enjoy it longer. There is nothing like spying that white face in the brush looking at you. They always see you first, but they're smart and know if they stay still you'll most likely walk by. Sometimes that kills them.
7mmfan