Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Treestand blues, classic problems

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Treestand blues, classic problems

Postby wawhitey » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Well, last year a big roamer buck showed up for the rut. Long story short, i screwed the pooch on a stupid shot on him. He came back this year, as i found out yesterday at about 1500 pst. Theres a little flat i have 2 stands in about 50 yards apart. Last year i had one stand there, and i kept seeing bucks walk right by a certain tree, thinking damn, if i was in that tree instead, id have had so many more shot opportunities. So this year i set a stand in that tree, but left the original up. So yesterday im sitting in the new stand, and i see the crop eared buck walk right up to my original treestand and just mosey around 10-20 yards in front of it for about 10 minutes. Damn it.

Now today, back in stand, wind starts going the exact opposite of how i want. Completely wrong. Amy deer that came in would wind me for sure. So i need to bail. Nope, here comes the crop eared buck again. I spot him from about 100 yards out, and im scared to try to move. If i can see him moving, he can certainly see me. So i sat and watched him rub his tree and shake his head like a dog, and as soon as he was out of line of sight i slipped out of my stand and performed a timely tactical evasive manuever. Really sucked running away from that buck with 1 hour of daylight left, but if i had stayed in that stand he would have busted me 100%. He. Put a dinky g5 on his left this year, so hes a typical 6x6, plus he has one split brow. Dont have any good pics of him yet this year, as he just now came back around for the rut, but this was him last year.

https://vimeo.com/327720387

https://vimeo.com/327721098
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Treestand blues, classic problems

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 2]

How high are you going up your trees? I can usually get some relief from scent problems by going 25+ feet up a tree. Keep at it. This buck needs to be on a dinner plate.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The stand i was in was 20ft, with the deers approach being from pretty sharp downhill. I tried telling myself my scent could easily pass over his head, but better safe than sorry. Oh the joys of mountainous terrain.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Usually 20 feet is adequate when deer or elk come in from down slope. In the early morning and late evening the thermals are going down so you can be busted regardless of how high you are. I know it is little consolation, but you made the right choice to move out.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Thermals qre always on my mind. Between the thermals and prevailing wind, a guy xan drive himself batshit crazy trying to play the wind in these hills. The forecast is a joke, i wont even look at it any more. What the. Wind is doing in one spot doesnt have any bearing on what its doing 200 yards away as it whips around hills, draws, dense timber and open burned areas. More often than not ill set oyt. From mycamp spot thinking something along tge lines of, okay, westerly wind, ill head to my north stand. Then i get a half mile up there and its easterly, or southerly, wont work, reevaluate plan... i think its the hardest part about the whole thing. A guy i know that moved up here from oklahoma was bitching about it. He said if the forecast back home said west, thats what it would do all day. Here youre lucky if the wind stays steady a few hours. He was at a loss. Oh well, if it was easy i guess it wouldnt be as fun.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Whitey, you might try going up about 10 feet higher. I know it is not easy for everyone. I usually sit out all changes in the diurnal winds. I get busted every once in awhile, but I get critters too. I think on average I am well ahead by being higher. One great way to see if your stand Is good is to watch does or other animals that have a keen sense of smell. You will not know right away about how well your higher stand is working for you, but over time you will. Extra height will cut down some on your visibility too, but shot angles can be a problem, especially if they are close in.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 7]

A lion walked right in front of one of my stands in the middle of the day on the 15th, about 1:30 pm. Passed by at 20 yards, and i wasnt there. And the buck i want was 20 yards in front of one of my other stands in daylight on the 13th when i was elsewhere. Damn it all.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Good luck... that's a nice buck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Try breathing out of your nose too. it sounds crazy but way more scent comes out of our mouths than your nose. I am 24 feet up a tree and I had over 20 paranoid whitetails directly downwind from 0 to 90 yards this last week and not a single one smelled me. Some even walked directly toward me, exactly down wind. Think about how you smell humans.....don't be a mouth breather! Oh, and I should add, I did absolutely nothing for scent control this year.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Try breathing out of your nose too. it sounds crazy but way more scent comes out of our mouths than your nose. I am 24 feet up a tree and I had over 20 paranoid whitetails directly downwind from 0 to 90 yards this last week and not a single one smelled me. Some even walked directly toward me, exactly down wind. Think about how you smell humans.....don't be a mouth breather! Oh, and I should add, I did absolutely nothing for scent control this year.

I agree "it sounds crazy". The difference between mouth breathing and nose breathing only amounts to the last in the last 2 1/2 inches of a long air exchange. If the mouth is the only problem, we should all just suck on some peppermint candy and end all scent issues with big game. Where can I purchase some Sage Brush chewing gum?
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Swede my big buck came in night before last right as it got too dark to shoot. He went chasing a doe so close under my stand i think i could have pulled a page out of your book and peed on him as he went by.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I think a well peed on buck is going to be easy to shoot. Plus they like it.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede, you ever wake up next to the wife and she breathes on you from her mouth? You will very quickly learn that those 2 1/2 inches make a big, BIG difference.

Is it the only scent we give off? Of course not. But think about it, breathing out of your mouth is a blower pushing stinky air out constantly versus scent molecules slowly coming off you. Big difference. I know what I experienced over the last week and there is no explanation for why I wasn't smelled. I just know that if I was blowing stinky breath out, I am confident I would have been.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Maybe your wife needs some peppermint gum too.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Man, he came in again just after shooting light, the sneaky sucker. Grunting and chasing like a mad man. Came home last night to clean up and grab supplies, and as i pull into my driveway i see my tire pressure light. Yup, looks like a big chunk of rock or something, loud hissing, i can feel the air coming out. Pretty serious puncture. Now i have to deal with the damn flat today, take it into town for repair. Cutting into hunting time peak rut. Yay. At least my tire didnt go flat until i got home, better than up on the mountain or the side of a dark highway in freezing cold.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 16]

I hate that hissing coming from my tires. I am running 10 ply tires now. They reduce fuel mileage a little, but I hate that hissing around tires. Hang in there. You will get that cagey critter. He just thinks he is smart.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I have been reviewing the situation you find yourself in. You should be able to get him soon. He is over confident and cocky. That is when he is the most vulnerable. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of you posing over his rangy antlers.
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 18]

OK Whitey: Did you get that oversized squirrel this evening? I have been waiting for your post here.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Not yet. Tomorrow is the day. Got back up to the happy hunting grounds just before 3pm today. Wasnt in my stand 5 minutes when the first chase went by. 3 bucks grabassing fighting grunting chasing does non stop, couldnt sneak out of my stand until an hour after dark. Passed up on a decent 4x4 buck that was doing everything he could to givd me shot opportunities. Now if only the big boy will be as cooperative tomorrow. I got a hunch he will.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2019 •  [Post 20]

I sure hope the old boy doesn't have to suffer through another cold NE Washington winter. I am sure you will take great care of him.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 22, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Look at it this way. You could have 20 encounters with him. If he goes 19-1, you bring him home for dinner. Only by going 20-0 does he truly win! Win the war, you can afford to lose a bunch of battles along the way.

I want to see grip and grins no later than next Wednesday by the way.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 22, 2019 •  [Post 22]

I have been rooting for Whitey all along here, but am starting to feel sorry for the old buck. I have a feeling Whitey may be skinning him out now as he has not posted tonight. I guess if Whitey is skinning the old boy, at least he will not suffer through a long cold winter.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Tigger wrote:
I want to see grip and grins no later than next Wednesday by the way.

Oh crap, me too. Just looked at the forecast and wednesday its going to start getting down to single digit temps. Im a wuss about cold. If im seeing 4°f, that will maybe lower my standards a bit :?
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 24]

The bad news is, sometime in the last couple days he broke his left g4 off. The good news is, hes going for a ride in my truck as i type this.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 25]

WOW! CONGRATULATIONS! We will look forward to seeing the pictures. I hope you buck enjoys his ride.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Posted him in the meat pole. Damn i wish ida killed him a few days ago before he busted that tine off, but im not complaining. Im happier than a pig in shit right now.
Attachments
20191123_122153-800x600.jpg
20191123_122153-800x600.jpg (275.47 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
20191123_122204-800x600.jpg
20191123_122204-800x600.jpg (266.18 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
20191123_122404-800x600.jpg
20191123_122404-800x600.jpg (227.01 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 23, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Great buck for sure. A good taxidermist can splice in a new tine that won't show. You have pictures of the buck before the one tine was broken off. The taxi might have to remove a tine from your mount to get a good match. :lol: Anyway congratulations.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 28]

Wow!!! Congrats on the awesome buck!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 29]

Tigger wrote:T,,,,, I did absolutely nothing for scent control this year.

I m calling you out on that one :lol: My guess is you did more than you realize certainly more scent control than many did 40 years ago.

Maybe it was just walking in to your stand with rubber boots,..from down wind
or you didnt toss your hunting clothes on top of the diesel fuel can after the last hunt
Maybe you took a shower in the last week :lol: ,
You washed your hunting clothes every few hunts,.. or you change your underwear,.. once in a while :lol:

or you Used an unscented clothes washing soap(Costco) or a more natural soap , such as borax , baking soda instead of Tide
your wife didn't throw dryer sheets in with your hunting clothes. ,. or you dont let her spay her favorite perfume on your hunting clothes

When I first started hunting elk those I hunted with some came right from the milk barn, Some stored their never washed hunting clothes in the shop ,.. yep on top of an empty diesel fuel. One guys wife soaked his clothes with her perfume to remind him of her the one family it was tradition to not bathe or shave until you got your elk
( I only hunted with them two seasons,.. the second hunt I brought my own tent and stayed in an unheated tent except for the night it was -18

My wife works in health care( only 12 more work days and shes retires :D ) and doesn't wear perfumes or washing clothes in scented soaps or fabric softeners
And we've worn scent free or unscented deodorants and antiperspirant for years and years

Now I double dog dared Swede.
I just need you to fess up , that you din more than nothing 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 30]

Me? I always minimize my scent. I just never thought about breathing exclusively through my nose. I have no problem with that unless I am congested. I may add a little peppermint to my scent control program. I bathe daily at least with a sponge. I change regularly, use unscented laundry and bath soap. I wash my hair daily. Actually I am very careful to keep odor in check. I believe it pays. Tigger may be a little goofy, but he may be onto something too. I just don't want him to think I buy his nonsense.
Swede