Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What is fashionable for a hunter perched thirty feet up a tree? What do you wear?
The deer and elk really don't care what you wear, so Real Tree or plaid are just fine. I have worn a white tee shirt and blue jeans on a warn afternoon and killed elk.
Temperatures can range from the mid teens to about 90*F during a hunt. The temps can change in a day from 20*F to the mid 70s*F. That is where we need to focus our efforts. I find it difficult to stay warm and comfortable when the temperatures are below freezing, without bulking up too much. I wear four, or five layers including a vest. These include a tee shirt, full length underwear top and bottom, a shirt and maybe a pullover sweat shirt in addition to the vest. I have a Chuck Adams style knit cap and gloves. It has always been enough but not always comfortable. When it is cold the main material I go with is wool. I have some modern synthetics, but they are no better than wool for keeping you warm. As far as what would cause a sweat or not wick moisture or even what would produce an odor when I am hiking around, makes no difference in a stationary place like a tree stand. I do not hike to or from the stand fully layered up. What will barely be enough to keep a person warm in the stand all day would cook you hiking around.
Rain and snow is another matter. the temperature issue remains the same, but you will need some rain gear. I prefer soft Gore-Tex. One thing to be careful about is bulky sleeves for bow hunters. You can brush the sleeve with your string when shooting and have a miss on what should have been a relatively simple shot. Another thing to be mindful of is getting too cold. As you chill off ou lose strength and will not be able to draw your bow the same as when you were warm. For that reason I keep my draw weight about 5# below what I can draw when I am warm and comfortable.
What else?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Well Dressed Tree Stand Hunter

Postby ishy » 02 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Whatever is comfortable. I am usually calling to and from so the usual hunting garb. I have left warmer clothes in the stand, but have lost too many things to bears. On our bear baits we leave a sweaty t shirt onsite to get bears use to our scent and they always get torn up.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

30 feet up???????? How about a parachute! :P
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2019 •  [Post 4]

>>>---WW----> wrote:30 feet up???????? How about a parachute!

From 30 feet up does an arrow gain speed and energy as it travels downward?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Camelcluch » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I am much colder sitting in a tree. I tend to over dress because I can cool off easier than I warm up.
Camelcluch

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:30 feet up???????? How about a parachute! :P

:o
I use to work off of ladders and scaffolding. I had a friend die putting Christmas decorations on his house. I chose not to get off the ground !!

In my ground blind I wore black shorts and a cheap camo long-sleeved shirt shirt dyed black . Generally stocking footed.

In my goose pit Ill wear what ever and dress for the weather.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ABQ_Chica » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Swede, I think you covered the key basics: layers and wool. The good stuff can be expensive (Smartwool is my go-to), but it's worth every penny. During September archery hunts, I wear a few layers hiking in to the stand, and throw on more before climbing up to sit in the pre-dawn chill.

It also helps to figure out in advance where your weak points are (those body parts that make you snarly and miserable when they get cold). For me, it's hands, feet, and neck, so I always have Hot Hands warmers and a wool neck gaiter.

You cautioned against bulky sleeves, and I would also stress quiet material. You don't want to give yourself away with stiff material that makes noise when you move or draw, or jacket stuffing that crinkles in the cold. Ummm...not that I've ever worn those! :oops:
ABQ_Chica

Postby Tigger » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I still use merino wool as a baselayer occationally and used regular wool for years for my insulation and outer layers. But lately, I have replaced my wool with the new synthetics, mainly PrimaLoft. Much better weight to warmth ratio. I also think it is even warmer than wool although it is hard to compare cuz not every piece of clothing is apples to apples and every day is different. But as the years have added up, I find myself not wearing wool at all (except socks and as stated, some baselayers).

A couple other things to consider, bring one of those $5 rubbery seat thingamajigs. They really do a great job of keeping the rear end warm. also, boot covers help the feet immensely. The last thing is the wind. If the wind is hitting you hard and it is cold (cold defined by me is less than 10 degrees), it takes some pretty good clothing to keep you in the stand. Almost better to hunt a stand where the wind is blocked so you can stay in there longer!

This is my experience from hunting whitetails in November in MN where we see temps into the single digits every year.

Now my dad on those cold days dresses completely differently. He has on a shirt or two and a light jacket. of course he has a heater in his fully enclosed stand. I think that helps a little!
Tigger