Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ground Stand Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ground Stand Hunting

Postby js80138 » 08 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Brief history, two previous microdiscectomy procedures in past 10 years. I found out Friday I now have another herniated disc just below previous vertebrae procedures. Yes its painful but after dealing with it since March its just different levels of pain. I don't want to miss archery season so I have decided that I will create a ground stand hunt. I plan to hike in no more than 1 mile and simply sit all day. This will only be weekend outings but I live here in CO where I hunt.

Obviously I will the lose the winding advantage being on the ground however I haven't thought about other advantages of sitting all day in one spot. Negative things about my plight are preventing me from getting excited about this new type of hunting.

Any ideas and advice are appreciated. Should I get a blind?
js80138

Re: Ground Stand Hunting

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have had more elk come to water in the evening than at any other time. I would locate my blind down slope from where I expect elk. If you can have two blinds in an area, you can switch back and forth and have the wind in your favor most of the day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby js80138 » 08 14, 2018 •  [Post 3]

You just changed my attitude and put a smile on my face. I really like this idea.
js80138

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The area I used to hunt we had areas we would hunt in the morning and then we would separate and sit wallows/water holes in the afternoons and evenings...it can be hard to stay motivated while sitting but when they do come in it is highly effective.

Two different blinds is a good idea, make sure while you sit you enjoy the little things :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 5]

There is a problem I feel obligated to warn you about. You are far more likely to end up packing out a dead elk, than your friends which are running and gunning, if you pick a good location and wait patiently there. My success rate is still right at 90% per season. Just be patient. You will see less elk than the others, but seeing elk is not the same as shooting elk.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Ive hunted out of a box blind and a $100 Ameristep blind.
I also have my location picked out for when I cant walk. Make sure the blind is big enough and you are able to be comfortable .
And turn the sound off on your phone ;)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby js80138 » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Thanks all for the advice. I am sold on this method for this years archery. My attitude has already changed and I am looking forward to a few scouting hikes before the season starts....as soon as my unit stops burning.
js80138

Postby Tigger » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Don't forget good saddles. We see a lot of elk on 2 of them in our area. All day long, they just pop over those saddles from one side to the other.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Don't forget good saddles. We see a lot of elk on 2 of them in our area. All day long, they just pop over those saddles from one side to the other.

That is good information for the tree stand hunter too. I like to focus on water holes in arid country, but saddles are great too; especially in wet areas.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Good advice on this thread. If you build a blind or purchase one, make sure it’s big enough to move a little while sitting in. This will make sitting all day more doable. Get a good comfy stool to sit on as well. Preferably one that swivels. Also watch your lanes from inside. Make sure you have clearance to shoot out of the lanes when drawn back. This includes the front and the back. I have a ground blind that I have used occasionally. It’s a bit too small so when I am drawn back I have to be perfectly centered in the blind or my stabilizer in front and my back elbow (draw arm) in back will brush the side of the blind and make a loud noise, don’t ask me how I know. I now remove my stab when sitting in it.

Also make sure if you are shooting down hill from inside, that your arrow clears the bottom window or foliage of the blind. I sat all day once to have a nice buck come in on the down hill side, I drew back and was perfect through my site window and peep. The buck was 15 yards from the blind. When I released I watched my arrow go way low. I couldn’t figure out how I missed that bad. Sitting there pondering it, and feeling pretty disgusted, I glanced down and saw a Broadhead hole perfectly through the wall of the blind 2 inches below the window. I had a clear shot through my peep and sight, but I never checked my arrow clearance through the blind window. Went from feeling disgusted to pretty stupid real fast. And it was a buck I probably would have hung on the wall. :oops: :lol:
stringunner

Postby js80138 » 08 26, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Its Sunday and I am back from my first ground stand hunt. In short it was Epic! The drive home I was trying my best to sum up my experience on why it was so thoroughly enjoyable but I have a few reasons that stood out the most.

First and foremost I felt relaxed at the end of the day. Spot and stalk is an awesome way to pursue game but it simply isn't practical right now. Taking the knowledge I have gained here in WT and in my past hunts I looked for a much better set up. I worked the wind to my advantage and waited. I enjoyed sitting and watching my surroundings. The morning hunt was great. Three bucks and two does walked past within 18 yards of my chair. I say past, which they eventually did, but I was amazed that sitting still seemed to calm the deer. I didn't move and after their initial "who or what is that" they went back to feeding. The only issue is that I did not have a deer tag for that unit. I was there for elk. On my way up to my ground stand I didn't see much sign of elk at all. Two tree rubs but no scat or tracks. The weather turned a bit so I went back to my truck and decided to move to a unit where I could actually go full draw. It was easy as I didn't set up my tent instead I set up my cot in the back of my truck which made moving easy. On the way down I stopped to share what I saw or didn't see with other hunters who had a full campsite. I found out that sheep were still in the area so I was happy with my choice to leave to a new unit.

I drove to a unit where I had tags for both elk and deer. A thunderstorm rolled in and for the next couple of hours I stayed in the bed of my truck dozing off for an hour or more. When the rain finally stopped I packed my gear and headed to the area west of my truck. It was fantastic with meadow, mixed trees and shrubs. Fantastic shooting lanes. I set up based on the wind. I am sure wind is evil in all hunting areas but I could not figure this wind out. I decided on my spot and set up my chair. My set up location was very good 40% of the time but the other 60% it would come in behind me, to my right, back behind me, in my face. LOL. I stayed there until I figured I needed to move based on the wind percentages. I did see a doe but well out of my range. I packed up and decided to move three hundred yards to the south. I found dark timber to the west that looked ideal. I set up and waited. Evening was fast approaching so I was very happy with my decision to change my set up. A cow elk appeared from the dark timber and started to feed. It gave me a look a couple of times but I didn't move so it continued feeding. It was way out of range at 80 yards but with some luck I thought it may continue working its way toward me. The wind was in my favor and the cow started to move. Then out of no-where I heard the crashing of branches both large and small coming at a quick pace from the north. I knew the sound immediately. A very large cow moose followed by her calf raced through the timber about 75 yards in front of me. The cow elk ran for cover. The moose then circled east towards my area but stayed a good 40 yards from my set up. After last years up close and personal encounter with mother and calf I couldn't believe it was happening again albeit 40 yards instead of 4.

One epic mistake I made was that I decided to get closer to the timber and picked up my chair, pack and bow. I found great cover behind large junipers. As the light faded I thought to myself this is the perfect set up. (Again, lol). I suddenly had a sickening feeling and remembered that I removed my binos and call when I took off my pack at the last set up. I backtracked in near dusk and found my gear. I then went back to my perfect set up gathered all my gear and called it a day.

I loved this style of hunting. I was patient, appreciated the activity of all game from chipmunk to moose, I analyzed the land, I moved slowly and softly getting to where I wanted to go. I loved my first day out. My decision to leave was not difficult. I was very sore at the end of the day even with the minimal hiking compared to years past. As I sat in the bed of my truck I grabbed a gatorade, called the family and said my good nights. I must have been there watching another storm in the distance for about an hour when I decided to move. When I decided to move again it was excruciating. I dreaded the idea of sleeping on the cot again and surviving on Advil. I packed up and came home. I can't wait to go back next weekend. This time I will select one spot and set up the tent. I will also not go solo. Too many things could have gone wrong or worse yet I could have stuck game and not been able to get my meat out in a timely manner. My back held up only good enough to enjoy the hunt. But we all know the hard part is getting the meat out and I do not want to leave my effort in the field.
js80138

Postby stringunner » 08 29, 2018 •  [Post 12]

JS-
Sounds like you had a blast and enjoyed the time. That’s what counts. Very cool about the game you saw. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your season goes. Good luck to you.
stringunner

Postby Old school » 09 06, 2018 •  [Post 13]

One other thing you may consider is a good ghillie coat to completely break up your outline while your sitting. I am going to try that this year. Rancho Safari makes a "longcoat" and it rolls up with straps so you can pack it in and then put it on once you are at your spot.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby js80138 » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I wanted to provide those that were kind enough to read and reply to the original post a brief update/response. I did go out again the following weekend for a hunt. If anyone on Wapiti Talk saw me in the field you would have asked me for my tag, tore it up and confiscated my bow. I thought I could continue with my good fortune but my pain limited my effort. I could only make it a quarter mile from my truck and the sight of me limping would have some to believe I was being filmed for a comedy hunting video.

The following weekend the fire that had been burning for a month blew up and my area was closed. I decided to cross over to the next unit. I had never hunted this area so I randomly did my short walk and sit....until the fire from my normal hunting unit blew smoke into the unit I was now occupying. That occurred two days straight so I decided to call it a weekend. The following week I got a call from my surgeon. A spot opened up to have my surgery two weeks early. Needless to say I had my spinal fusion.

Today I went for my three month check-up and I was given the ok to twist, lift, bend and gradually return to all activities. I immediately signed on tonight as I am already preparing for 2019. Had no idea hunting would be such a passionate activity. I guess when I couldn't do it is when I realized how much I loved it.

PS. Christmas I asked for only one gift from my three children. I requested that they each get their hunter safety license. Santa heard my wish and I was a teary eyed man Christmas morning.
js80138

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Your update is very encouraging JS. I appreciate your update and look forward to hearing how things are going as time goes on this. Best wishes for a great recovery and a heavy pack out in 2019. Just get plenty of help if you need it.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 16]

js80138 wrote:,PS. Christmas I asked for only one gift from my three children. I requested that they each get their hunter safety license. Santa heard my wish and I was a teary eyed man Christmas morning.

:mrgreen:
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Feel for you and the pain js80138 . BTDT.Docs are trying to convince me to go back and have additional surgeries on my back at L3 and neck at 6. Ain't going to happen. I thought I was good until last year and had a lot of trouble trying to lift quarters of a ig bull on my mule.

How will you get your elk out?

Are you hunting on the western slope?
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Unfortunately I may be headed the same direction , and have sort of planned to keep hunting when mobility is a problem I have a few places in my back pocket for when I become a full time ground blind hunter
I would like to have a tree stand my neighbor has a palace up high for his family incredible and comfy

The places I have we are able to drive anywhere BLM ground road or two track to a water source they are drive up locations

I feel for you
I hope my time will come( meaning I live longer)
Sadly I think my sucsess rate will go up
The one location the 10 am - sunset bull elk were passing one in three days the last 2/3 of the season
One water tank I saw bulls one in three nights early season

As long as your are in the right mindset there will be places to hunt
When my dad had cancer the CO gave him a crossbow to use
A farmer let a few rows of corn stand where he parked his truck the truck was his blind
Lefty

Postby ishy » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 19]

This is the last ten days of buddies le tag. The last two bulls were his best opportunities and both were sitting water on the ground.
https://youtu.be/pvSUVorvK6E
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L