Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

just some bragging (salmon)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

just some bragging (salmon)

Postby Roosiebull » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

this has been a very slow salmon season for me, i have went 2 days without even a bite, and missing lots of fish when i do get bit.

i have had the honor of taking my wife and daughter out a few times, and that has been a blast....and they have lady luck on their side ;)

i took my daughter one day for a couple hours, i try to keep it short for her, she just turned 8 on the 13th, so short trips keep the boredom down, and keep her having fun. that day, instead of trolling with the crowds, and trying to run the boat and manage 2 rods, i decided to anchor on the incoming tide and fish kwik fish. long story short we had a good takedown, but it didn't stick, bummer!

the next day i was out at 4:30 like every morning i fish, and around 8 my wife calls and tells me Gabriella wants to come out fishing with me. i run to the dock and pick her up a while later, and we go with the same plan, anchor and fish kwiks. i set her up with a hand line and sand shrimp with a barbless hook, she made me keep track, she caught 19 sculpins and 2 small crab :D all released unharmed.

we were going to quit when the current died, and it was getting close when the port side rod goes down! i clear the other one, and get things ready before i touch the rod still bucking and pulling drag. i get Gabriella over by me, get the rod out of the holder, and hand it to her. after a little battle (stressful for me :D ) i slide the net under her first salmon! when i lift it over the side, and the fish starts thrashing, she drops the rod and scurries up to the bow :D

we got a big round of applause from people watching, and i was as proud as i could be
Attachments
gabs first.jpg
gabs first.jpg (255 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
gabs 1st.jpg
gabs 1st.jpg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
Roosiebull

Re: just some bragging (salmon)

Postby Roosiebull » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

2 days later, our daughter was staying at her aunts house, so i took my wife fishing the next morning. i decided to troll, and taught her the basics of how to keep her gear fishing effectively, she picked it up pretty quick. it was a foggy calm morning, and it looked really good, but nothing was happening. there were quite a few people and we had not seen a bite happen, or even hear of anyone getting bit.

it was about 6:40AM and we were coming into a productive corner when my wife's rod starts bouncing, i tell her to wait, and then it goes all the way down and starts bucking...fish on! i take the boat out of gear and clear my rod. the fish comes up pretty quick, and the stress starts for me, it's a big one... i don't give a hoot if i lose a fish, but i really want the ones my wife and daughter hook to come to the boat.

the fish is showing it's size, and giving April a tough time, we drift by a tree in the water and the fish races right at the tree, i coach my wife and she turns it away from the hazard. the fish comes up showing fatigue, and i see it's not hooked that well, which makes the stress level go up, i know it's not done yet, so i hope the hooks hold. she brought it close a couple times, and looked like i would get a shot with the net, but right as i think about going for it, the fish takes off, i know better than to swing a net early ;)

after a bit, she brings the fish within range, and i slide the net under it and give my wife a hug and kiss, i was so excited! she just caught a freaking flawless stud of a fish! this is my third season with this boat, and out of a couple hundred chinook it's seen, this was the biggest to hit the deck of that boat. i know the term "30 pounder" is thrown around a lot, but i know that on the scale, a 30 pound chinook is very rare anywhere i fish, and she almost hit that mark, after bled and on ice for 4 hours, it was 28.5lbs, and a perfect specimen...so proud again!

it has been a little slow, but those 2 fish instantly turned it into an awesome season for me, i will never forget either one of those days.
Attachments
aprils 28.jpg
aprils 28.jpg (67.11 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Thats some damned good eatin there! I really need to learn how to catch kokanee, lake roosevelt is just a 30 minute drive from my house.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Awesome work! I would love to get on some bigger salmon like that. Congrats to you and your family.
We are lucky enough to have some kings stocked in local waters that I go after. Only landed some small ones so far this year, hoping to try one out on a fly when they come up shallow
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby JKaboom » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Dang Roosie!!!
JKaboom

Postby Tigger » 09 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Very nice! It sure is fun watching your kids experience the outdoors!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 09 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:Very nice! It sure is fun watching your kids experience the outdoors!

yes sir! super cool!

I was so stressed out while she fought it, and so dang happy when it was in the net. look forward to lots more of that, and cannot wait for her to be hunting. we have a youth mentor program here, you sign up for it and your child can fill your tag, after this year, I may not kill another blacktail for awhile ;)
Roosiebull

Postby olympushunt » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Awesome fish! Looks like one of the old Joel Sheppard Challenger Marine boats? I used to see a TON of those in the Rogue bay.
olympushunt

Postby Roosiebull » 09 19, 2017 •  [Post 9]

olympushunt wrote:Awesome fish! Looks like one of the old Joel Sheppard Challenger Marine boats? I used to see a TON of those in the Rogue bay.

yes sir, solid boats. built just as heavy duty as the big ones, but mine is a mini. it is also a full width sled at 7ft beam, but only 14ft long...I got lucky to find it a few years ago, and got a good deal on it, 5k for the boat and main motor (50hp jet) another 2300 for the kicker....to replace that boat would be around 20k or a little more, I was getting ready to do it, but was having a hard time paying that much for a 14-15ft boat, but that is the size I wanted...got dumb lucky and found this one first...it's going to be my coffin when the time comes :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby bigharge » 09 20, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I'm going to hook into a salmon one of these days, congrats on some amazing memories with your daughter.
bigharge