Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

WTB: Backpacking Tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

WTB: Backpacking Tent

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 01, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I am hoping to do a few days back in the mountains this September but have been struggling to find a lightweight tent to make home. I have looked at likely every tent out there, but both the overwhelmingness of picking one and the price and options has stopped me from pulling the trigger. Anyone have an extra say 3-4lb 2 person tent laying around they wouldn’t mind getting rid of? I was leaning towards a tipi tonight, but fell back into the paralysis by analysis. Just thought I would throw it out to the WT community and see if anyone needed some more garage space and arrow money.

Thanks!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: WTB: Backpacking Tent

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I just saw this.
I gave a nice older and lighter tent away on the 16th of June. and a couple Thermarests.
Hmm Ill see if I still have another extra tent.
Just checked. I have one that is likely too big and old

My former Boy scouts just got back from a trip in the Wind Rivers. Most of the scouts were using one man bivi tents,,.. All less than $100 Many of those bivi tents have been out a dozen times and still look new( Im talking 11 year old boys to now 18 year young men )
Maybe you want a bigger fly( make your own).

All outdoor gear is slim pickings and prices have jumped as bad as lumber on camping gear.
Watch you local Craigs list A buddy outfitted three full sets of gear , pack, tents, bags, A super bargain.

We have a regional newspaper that does great out door gear posting.
I just checked KSL , Used twice Lynx , $50, bucks
a close friend use to be a mountaineer ( he is 68 now ) He was connected and bought most of his gear like new used. Some would come off expeditions and he would buy gear. He had a wall of sleeping bags :lol:

Tents arent just something to sleep in,.. what type of conditions will you be tenting in.
The scouts listed above was mosquito netting and shedding ability of snow and rain.

a 16 inch snow fall wiped out this tent , the pic is late May
the 16 inch snowfall was mid September

There are a lot of OK bivi tents under $100
Attachments
IMG_5855.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 02, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the reply Lefty! I am a bigger guy, 6’-5” and I hope to have my young ones sleep in the tent too, for summer backpack trips. I am going to start off sleeping in it solo at around 7,500’ in mid to late September. I will likely also try to spike out in it in late October. I was leaning towards a Nemo, then saw the tipis and got stuck not knowing what I want. I feel like I want a light tent, but I want it to also feel like more than a light sheet 5” from my face in the middle of the night. I guess I likely need to try some different stuff out, but like you said, it’s all hard to find and super expensive.
GoGriz1234

Postby Lefty » 07 04, 2021 •  [Post 4]

We tent in Mosquito country. But many hardcore backpackers make their own fly., or use a fly.
https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-13-Ounce-Silicone-Impregnated-Ripstop-1395-linear-yard-_p_32.html cheap and lighweight

You have likely discovered the top end 4 season or expedition tents,, well , are kind of speedy. A couple weeks back I ran into a fellow who late season hunts and camps, he stated a tepi with a stove is the only way to go. He loved his 4 man
and packed in https://seekoutside.com/redcliff-light/

Just to keep your head spinning, from WapitiTalk sponsors with lightweight shelters

https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product-category/tents-tarps/
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 07 04, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Lefty

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 04, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for all the help Lefty! I pulled the trigger on a Luxe 3-person xl pyramid. They don’t have the summer inserts in stock, but I will give it a go this year and report back on how it works. Hopefully it does what I hope it will.
GoGriz1234

Postby Lefty » 07 10, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Should be a good choice.
Lefty