Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I don't get it.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I don't get it.

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 10 31, 2016 •  [Post 1]

On the 29th of October I was archery hunting whitetails in the morning on a wooded hillside. The time was 8:50am when I heard something off to might left and saw a nice 4x4 about 50 yards away running right at me. I immediately drew back and then saw there were more deer running behind the 4x4. As all the deer got closer I realized that they were all huge bucks. I counted 6 total, but because they were all running I couldn't get them to stop and get a clean shot. I have never seen anything like this. Six shooter bucks running together? What caused this to happen?
Ponyboy_jonas

Re: I don't get it.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 31, 2016 •  [Post 2]

That does seem odd, even tho a few weeks before peak WT rut. They should be separated out chasing does.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 01, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Just a nice group of bachelor bucks, elk do the same thing at times. They'll soon separate as the Doe's start coming into heat! Good luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby jmez » 11 01, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Rut is still a ways off here. Peak is usually around Thanksgiving. Was out last weekend and bucks were no where near the does and still together.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby wawhitey » 11 04, 2016 •  [Post 5]

jmez wrote:Rut is still a ways off here. Peak is usually around Thanksgiving. Was out last weekend and bucks were no where near the does and still together.

As much as all the literature available talks about batchelor groups breaking up, i think everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Deer, elk, moose, bear etc.all exhibit behavior that defies common knowledge, on a regular basis. Wild animals never fail to surprise. Last fall on november 8th or 9th i believe, at first light, i had a group of 5 bucks walk down a trail into my yard, and the big 5x4 punked a small 4x4, but i watched 4 of the 5 basically line up and politely take turns working a mock scrape i made. It was tottaly surreal, and went against everything whitetail experts tell us about buck to buck interactions that time of year. Expect the unexpected, i guess is my point.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 11 05, 2016 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:
jmez wrote:,,,,, Deer, elk, moose, bear etc.all exhibit behavior that defies common knowledge, on a regular basis. Wild animals never fail to surprise.,,,
What happened those moments may have only happened for that moment. Didnt happen yesterday , wont happen tomorrow.
While living in Washington I was hunting a unique area looking for a huge "bench" buck. The middle of October I had a group of well over 110 deer pass by me. what were they doing herded up like that.
Weird stuff is more common than we observe!!

Cool thing to see!!!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H