Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Buck Rattling - November 2015

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Buck Rattling - November 2015

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Is anybody out trying to rattle in a fat necked buck in (or perhaps you already have) during this third/fourth week period in November? What are the basic tips and tactics you use to do this?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Buck Rattling - November 2015

Postby wawhitey » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 2]

What flavor of deer you hunting phantom?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Let's talk whitetail, whitey. Tis the season :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Phantom16 wrote:Let's talk whitetail, whitey. Tis the season :)

I dont consider myself an experienced enough rattler to give advice, was just curious what you were up to!! You hunting whitetails in idaho??

My rattling experience is limited. My success even more so. Just not something ive done very much of, but i certainly intend to work on it more. Probably my most memorable rattling experience was rattling in another hunter. :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Old school » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 5]

My experience rattling has been this - it has either happened really quick or it doesn't happen at all. The 2 biggest bucks I've shot at ( 1 miss and 1 kill) came in within 1 minute of my rattling sequence. A silent approach to your stand or blind is of utmost importance - at least to me. Both mature bucks were bedded down within a couple hundred yards of my stand and came in immediately to investigate the supposed intruders. If I would have been loud and careless in my approach they would have both spooked before I ever began my sequence. Loud and aggressive rattling while shuffling around in the leaves and breaking sticks/branches. Then get your bow in hand and be ready to shoot - it happens quick and they can come from any direction. Just my 2 cents.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for chiming in guys. I haven't been out rubbing horns together for many, many years. With plans of moving back to ID or MT within the next year or two (for final retirement), I'm starting to research the in/outs of current day rattling. What I do remember from when I used to do it in MT in the early 80s was as you mentioned Mitch, they seemed to respond pretty quickly if they were interested and coming in. I know it's important to find areas with high buck to doe ratios to maximize the competitive factor with the bucks. I've called in a good handfull of the small guys but nothing bigger than a three point. Anxious to hear about other's methods/techniques who participate in this activity. For those who rattle, is grunting, brush shaking, ground stomping mixed in with rattling as a standard practice? Thanx. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 25, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I agree with old school. When it happens it happens quick. I've had bucks cross near my stand after a rattling sequence, but I think they were just cruising. If they come to the horns they are on high alert.
This is one of the larger ones ive rattled in. He came running in, through thick cover and scanned the creek bottom from a distance. Only to turn around and come back in by my stand following two does. I believe he would have fully committed if it wasn't for two does that he was tending behind him. The antlers peaked his curiosity. Came in fast and left fast.
What kind of sequence? Protect your hands and use a set of heavy horned antlers. Usually cut the brows off, they hurt your thumbs other wise. But IMO you cant make enough noise. Calm crisp mornings in November can bring a buck in from a long ways out. I shot a little guy a few years back that came running from two sections over! We can see a long ways in the ND prairie. haha
I will add that breaking branches and hitting and using the tree will only add realism to the affect, but I don't believe its needed. If I think deer are in the area I will do short sequences, but if its open country I will do it for up to 10 minutes or I get tired.
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (250.98 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Picture 252.jpg
Picture 252.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Picture 248.jpg
Picture 248.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Backyard » 11 30, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I've had some luck with rattling in the past. And I'll agree with the majority when they respond it's usually pretty quick. But they don't always respond.
Here's what I do:
Start out with a short grunting sequence as if two bucks have just encountered each other, then I rattle for about ten secs. wait for about a minute to see if any are close(I've been busted ten to fifteen seconds into a rattling sequence before), then I beat em up for 1 -2 mins. straight, I might even add some grunting in at the same time (Use your imagination, you're imitating two bucks sparring), I'll end with a couple grunts, then set em down and get ready. Wait five to ten then start it all over again.

Good luck!
Backyard