Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mulies-Plenty of doe... where's the bucks?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mulies-Plenty of doe... where's the bucks?

Postby TonyOI » 10 15, 2015 •  [Post 1]

All of last week I have seen too many doe mule deer to count, but not a single buck!? I have seen lots of rubs in the same area I've seen the does. Does that mean they are in the same area but I just can't find the buck? I saw 1 heck of a buck during archery but that's it. This buck was in what I like to call the "steep thick nasty" and I'm not sure how I could go about hunting him. It's too thick to stalk through without making a racket of noise (the only reason I saw him is because I busted him out while trying to get to an elk spot) and I'm not a good enough shot to shoot him from the other side of the canyon in the fortunate event that I am able to glass him up. Any input would be appreciated. I have a rifle tag and to me any buck would be a great buck since I've never killed a mule deer. Thanks.
TonyOI

First Name: Tony
Last Name: M

Re: Mulies-Plenty of doe... where's the bucks?

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 17, 2015 •  [Post 2]

this time of the year high country mule deer have been pressured, I notice the change about the week muzzy season starts. Once they hear guns they go into some nasty stuff and may not move until a week or more after the hunt all the way until the rut begins and they cant resist going in search of doe. Look of thick cover with browse and water, they need to drink and will hole up over a tiny spring or water weep. This time of year the less movement the better, so find those spots. Look for benches in the thick stuff and approaches from above mid day. If your seeing fresh rubs, they are there.. its in these times I still hunt as long as I can, then I eat and drink and still hunt more. Your odds of moving into a muley buck will increase when you key in on where they may be hiding. If your seeing doe, I would move higher.. its been pretty warm, so I think they are still way up high..
just my .02
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2015 •  [Post 3]

As someone from white-tailed country.
Those trained mulies do nearly the same things.
While hunting the Klickatat river in Washington I watched a big buck slip into a thicket maybe 20 yards in diameter All day log I watched hunters walk by on both sides. At sunset I watched that buck slip down for water.

Once wile in Arkansas I was telling a fellow I wasnt seeing many deer while floating the river. His suggestion was,.. "Look for rabbits" The next day I saw 10 times as many deer.
Those big buck will hang tight. Slow down, check out the thick stuff,.. glass and slow down
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 20, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Thats some great advice there lefty!! One of the biggest bucks I have ever taken was shot after 2 weeks hard hard hunting. He busted me three times in those 2 weeks, then went into what I now call lockdown. I shot him in his bed, which had good forbes and a small trickle of water, both below an old downed tree. he had great cover fro behind, and could see everything below and in front.
I glassed him in there by chance 3 days prior, he never left that spot during daylight. On day 3 I could not take it anymore and went after him with the late afternoon thermals. got inside 25 but due to the cover, would have to get right on top of him. I snuck to the tree that was downed him cover, saw antlers and froze. I was inside 10 with no real shooting lane atr him bedded, so I tossed a rock. He stood up and took 2 fateful steps past the tree to bugger out and got a rage in the pump house.
powderhogg01

Postby TonyOI » 10 23, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for chiming in fellas. Spent this week trying to get my buddy a bull. Tough week for us but the elk hunt is over now so the next 48 hours will be dedicated to punching my deer tag. We got some snow in my area. Not too sure how it affects the deer or even if it was enough snow to do anything at all but I figure it couldn't have hurt. With the way the weather is looking most, if not all the snow that just fell will probably be gone by midday tomorrow. Going to spend my time in the canyon where I saw that big buck. I have seen multiple other bucks in there in the past but just saw the one in there this year. It may be silly to put my 2 days into 1 area but that canyon is thick and steep in many parts and I believe many people don't like to go in there because it's so rough and just flat out Sucks to negotiate unless your running the ridge or down in the bottom. I imagine I'll be looking for them on the thick nasty side.
TonyOI

First Name: Tony
Last Name: M

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 23, 2015 •  [Post 6]

this time of the year I have noticed mule deer to behave much like elk. They will tend to be in the thicker timber where there is a bit more protection from weather. I dont think this storm was enough to move anything out of the high country or shut anything down. good luck out there
powderhogg01

Postby elkstalker » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Just like Lefty said, slow down, take your time, and glass, glass, glass.

Also, go where others aren't. If everyone is hunting the roads, get away from the roads, if everyone is hunting high, try a lower elevation spot that is more rugged. Mule deer bucks get big for a reason, they're smart!
elkstalker