Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Another one down!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Another one down!

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 10, 2015 •  [Post 1]

and another gone, another one bites the dust...LOL. So this morning I decided to visit the same place that I shot that doe last Sunday. But everything was too crunchy to sneak over there in the dark, so I sat against an oak tree about a quarter mile away from said spot, waited till it got light and no activity, so I decided to take a nap as I went to bed at 1:30 A.M. and got up at 5 A.M.. A 23 minute nap gave me some energy and now I'm not so tired. So I'm sneaking up to the spot and no deer, OK thats strange, I sneak little by little inching my way over, I'm sure there are deer there but I can't see any, once I start to crest the little hill I see that they have a late start on the day and are juts beginning to come in! So I'm almost in position but more deer keep piling in, so with all those eyes it took me about 15 minutes to crawl the last three feet! I see a doe, and some fawns, as the morning progresses and the deer keep going back and forth it turns out there are three fawns (they were big though, almost as big as the doe's) a large doe and a small doe as well as a buck! I know you cant eat antlers but why shoot a doe that can plop out more babies next spring instead of shooting a buck! So this buck is a 3 point, and he walks broadside 25 yds away, even with the 6 pairs of eyes I manage to shoulder the crossbow and aim for the heart/lungs, but there is a mound of dirt and rocks from an uprooted tree, (the tree is non-existent, decomposed) and this mound is right between the two of us and comes up to the bottom of his chest, I'm not taking any chances, no shot. So he then turns around and walks away... I'm thinking "crap"! But he comes back and for the next few minutes he walks back and forth, but every time there is a perfect shot, one of the fawns walks right in front or right behind him, by now my nerves are going crazy, and finally he walks slightly quartering away, I raise the bow again without spooking any of 'em and take careful aim and shoot! By the way I was super careful with the safety this time and quietly turned it off :) . All the deer scatter and the buck disappears, but a doe and a fawn stopped about 80 yds out, so I recede from the hill and reload, but they didn't come back. After the doe's left I walked to where I saw the buck disappear and found plenty of blood, tracked for about 60 yds and the blood disappeared. Standing still scanning for blood a minute goes by and then 15 yds away there is thrashing in the tall grass, I stalk over and he it still alive, trying to get a clear shot I'm cautiously approaching and once I'm 5 feet from him he goes completely limp, I go over and put my hand on his heart and I feel it take its last beat. As always I thank God, for an abundantly blessed day.
This moment is always bitter-sweet.
I learned my lesson with the doe the other day and this time I brought along some para-cord and made a deer drag, that made dragging him a bajillion times easier then the doe. This deer went to the landowner of the property as payment for letting me hunt. But I got the head ;) . I'll post pics tomorrow, and I shot a snapping turtle yesterday, looking forward to see what it tastes like.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: Another one down!

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 2]

good work brotha!!!! cant wait to see the pics
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby Madison COunty » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Great job on the deer, can't wait to see pictures!
Madison COunty

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Neuhaus

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 4]

3-pointer.jpg
3-pointer.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

My first legit' three point, everything else has been spikes and doe's.

buck and me.jpg
buck and me.jpg (161.21 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

happy all over again! This pic is taken at the same spot that I posed with the doe.

8-point antlers.jpg
8-point antlers.jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

These antlers are at the entrance to the driveway of the property that I took the two deer! No idea what the score would be but its bases are HUGE!
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 5]

spikes.jpg
spikes.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

I don't have a grudge against spikes, but they are the ones that show up. Food is food and spikes are good eating! ;)
GobbleFarmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Oh this guy also had a big cut that was scabbed over on his neck, from tinkling antlers I assume. Every buck I have shot has had cuts from fighting.
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 12, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I have NEVER hunted whitetails, but have some friends that do a lot of management in michigan. Correct me if im wrong, but a lot of the spikes I see in your pics do not show the genetic potential for large antler growth.. is it that they are young bucks, or simply in a poorly managed location with those smaller genes? I simply ask as I remember my buddy telling me it was a spike only year as they were trying to get rid of the genetics causing the "button bucks"
Like I said I have no idea about whitetails, just curious about the management side of things. as it looks like all your bucks potentially have the same genes. And if that big fella came from the same property.. curious where his offspring are
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 12, 2015 •  [Post 8]

That big fella's offspring are here for sure, I had an identical 8-point walk under my treestand last year, archery with a compound and when I saw him he saw me and just kept walking and never gave me a shot! I also have a picture of a 9-point on my game cam from the same treestand this year, Saturday morning 2 weeks ago, 1 hour before legal shooting light! So the genetics are definitely here! as a matter of fact the land owner has deer skulls that her sons have shot over the years when thay used to live there and they have some spikes and 3- and 4-pointers, but they also have 10-pointers and an 11-pointer with a drop-tine, there are some beasts around here.

About spikes being genetically inferior? I believe they are actually superior! I won't go into it now, bet when I have some time I'll post up a video that is well worth watching, about the spikes! As well as one on whitetail "genetics", you'll see why that was in quotation marks...
GobbleFarmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 12, 2015 •  [Post 9]

OK Sam, I put up two new threads for you, and whoever else, to view about whitetail genetics and spike bucks.

please tell me your comments.
GobbleFarmer