Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Deer down!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Deer down!

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 05, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I shot a doe on Oct. 4th. It was super windy with gusts around 20 MPH, I was sneaking up to the area that I knew the deer would be and the wind completely drowned out my movements and noise to the deer. When I'm about 80 yards away from a huge oak that all of the deer in the neighborhood have been visiting to munch on acorns- I see a deer! so I crawled 35-40 yards over the course of about twenty minutes, and all I need to do is crawl onto a little hill and take a prone shot(I was hunting with a crossbow). The last ten feet took about fifteen minutes to cover, as the doe had a fawn with her and momma deer kept looking at this mysterious lump(the top of my head peeking over the hill). So once up on the hill I am sizing up the doe and looking at the fawn to see if I think it could make it without its momma anymore, but this "fawn" was just about as large as its mom so I think its got a huge chance of surviving (if I had any doubt, then I wouldn't have shot the doe). By now the doe doesnt think the mysterious lump is of any concern and us perfectly content munching on the freshly dropped acorns. She takes a couple steps and her head is behind a tree, I make up my mind, and raise the crossbow 5 inches and look through the scope, click the safety off and this sounds more like a tree snapping in half "CLICK" goes the safety, and the doe sticks her head up, looking in my direction, but her head is still behind the tree. After about forty seconds I decide if I dont shoot now than she will probably step out- facing me head on and then run away- so I aim and shoot. It was the weirdest smack sound Iv'e heard a bolt make when hitting a deer, she and her fawn book it, but it looks like she is running awkwardly. I reload and walk to where she was standing and find the bolt snapped in two! Iv'e never had that happen before. She left a decent blood trail and the blood smelled like liver. After tracking for about 90 yds, I look into the woods and see her laying there dead as can be, 40 yds away! I'm now relieved, thank my God in heaven for another blessed day and the best tasting meat for my family, and then I notice the group of bucks around the dead doe's body! I crouch down, and its only as I crouch down that the bucks see me and they booger out!

When I shot her she was about 35 yds away and since she was alert, at the sound of the shot she spun before the bolt hit her. The bolt entered in her right shoulder and exited the other side about 2/3 of the way back, took out at least one lung liver and it went thru her stomach a lil bit... so I didn't do my normal detective work of what got hit because she was filled with acorns, corn, leaves and grass. I'll post pictures when I can, entry, exit and of course me with my "trophy". :D I am one happy camper!!! 8-)
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: Deer down!

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 06, 2015 •  [Post 2]

bloody bolt.jpg
bloody bolt.jpg (108.98 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

here is the bolt that snapped in two.

gobblefarmersdeer.png
gobblefarmersdeer.png (625.81 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

here is myself, happy as can be!
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 06, 2015 •  [Post 3]

exit wound.jpg
exit wound.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

This is the exit wound.

entry wound.jpg
entry wound.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

This is the entry wound, as I said- she spun- so this is where the bolt happened to enter.
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 06, 2015 •  [Post 4]

nice work buddy!!! glad to see some other action on the deer board.
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 06, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Sam! Your deer had more antler on its head, LOL, but this was an amazing experience and they are all trophies to me for sure! 8-)
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 07, 2015 •  [Post 6]

My deer was a little tacker compared to one I drew on opening weekend. sigh.... just never got a shot on the big fella. I would like to give whitetail hunting a shot.. seems like it could be a good way to boost my hunting season an extra month or two, even if the hunts are in the cold
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby michigan gone wild » 10 09, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Awesome congrats!
michigan gone wild

Postby six » 10 10, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Big Doe Down. Great job taking one from the ground. Anyone can kill a whitetail from a treestand, but trying and match wits with one from the ground is a different story.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 10, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Thanks guys!

six wrote:Big Doe Down. Great job taking one from the ground. Anyone can kill a whitetail from a treestand, but trying and match wits with one from the ground is a different story.
Yeah, I love the challenge, it's a whole different kind of hunting then just sitting up in a tree over food or on a trail! I have a hard time sitting still for hours in a tree stand anyway. I have never done something as exhilarating as stalking a whitetail and putting a good shot on him/her.
GobbleFarmer