Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

decoying deer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

decoying deer

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I had an interesting encounter today. First I got my truck nice and stuck in a rut.. took a while to get out, once out I realized some muleys had moved into the clearcut I was below. (the cut is fresh this year, with huge piles of wood seasoning and waiting for snow so the forest service can burn them off) I was able to use the wood piles to get into bow range on the heard when I noticed that behind the main group was a decent little 4x4 buck. he worked his way out until the does he was with got spooky. I missed one of the does who had stepped out and she caught me in the open mid step. I was able to keep things calm and wait but dang it the buck did not get in range before it got dark..
getting caught in the open like that made me think about antelope hunters and how some will use cow decoys or even antelope decoys just to be able to move in the open terrain, has anyone tried this with mule deer? I got to thinking that maybe if I had the decoy I could have moved around just a bit more and gotten a good shot angle on the buck. could just be pipe dreams but heck, I may just try to throw something together to see if it has any effect.
if the wind allows it, I am going to sit on the wood pile tomorrow night around the same time, maybe they will come out in the same place and I can have an elevated shot on the situation.
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Re: decoying deer

Postby Shawn2820 » 09 12, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I've been thinking the same thing! I have been thinking Montana decoy would come out with a mule deer decoy like they have for elk and antleope. I think it would dang sure help!
Shawn2820

Postby poisonarrow » 09 12, 2015 •  [Post 3]

mule deer decoy success.jpg
mule deer decoy success.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 3177 times

Spotted 5 bucks as they were making their way down a fenceline. Snuck over to where I thought they'd come down through. I set up the Poison Arrow Doe Decoy on my bow quickly. As they came within range of about 20 yards I slowly stood up and drew back. To my suprise they didn't see me draw back as the decoy acted like a small "blind" for me. The buck that I shot came within 5 yards of me and looked right at the decoy. I had about 5 seconds of time to focus on aiming right behind the deers shoulder as he was so focused on the decoy...smoked 2015 buck!

This is a picture and story from one of my decoy customers.
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 13, 2015 •  [Post 4]

thanks for the replies, likely get one of those this winter for next season.. whats the worst that happens... it does not help me..
powderhogg01

Postby Huntrgathr » 09 15, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Two words : doe hat. I'm amazed at what I can get away with when I have it on...
Huntrgathr

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 16, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I really considered getting one of the doe hats, but then with the muzzleloaders guys in the area.... A few of them are suspect as I have had a few bad encounters already.. I would not trust them not to shoot me.. even if I had blaze on.
powderhogg01