Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

That wheezy-snort sound deer make?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

That wheezy-snort sound deer make?

Postby mjblowers » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I don't know how to describe it, but I hear it every year. Why do they do it, do only bucks do it? Is it only a mule or white tail noise? Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about ? I heard it again this year and knew it was a deer but my buddy thought I was losing my mind and that it was some sort of bird. Having observed deer make this noise on multiple occassions, what's it all about? Are there any calls out there that replicate it?
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: That wheezy-snort sound deer make?

Postby ElMuTail » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 2]

yes ... I jumped a whitetail last year and a staring contest ensued. After what seemed like a few minutes he hopped off and gave two really loud snort-wheezes. Sounds like a combo of a large man blowing his nose and a that croupy bark/cough infants/toddlers get. I heard it the other day when doing some scouting as well. Never saw the deer(s), however. Not sure if Mule deer make the same sound or not.
ElMuTail

Postby wawhitey » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Snort wheeze. Look it up on youtube. Easy noise to make yourself, no stupid call needed.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby elkstalker » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I was under the impression that the snort/wheeze is an indication of danger, or a warning to other deer that something isn't right. The only time I've heard it is when the deer sense danger, or when I've been busted... :(
elkstalker

Postby wawhitey » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 5]

elkstalker wrote:I was under the impression that the snort/wheeze is an indication of danger, or a warning to other deer that something isn't right. The only time I've heard it is when the deer sense danger, or when I've been busted... :(

Thats s different deal. I just call that blowing. Much more familiar with that than id like. Snort wheeze is an aggressive noise bucks make toward other bucks
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby GobbleFarmer » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Yah you generally hear an actual snort-wheeze in the rut when a buck is ready to fight or if he is pissed. When they blow thats an alarm! They are scared of you whether they heard, saw or smelled you-this is NOT a sound that you want to mimic unless you don't ever want to see a deer. It's hard to tell which one you are talking about, so just look it up- youtube is verry helpful :D , find out which one you do and which you dont want to imitate! This help? :?:
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby MidMoElkNut » 09 01, 2015 •  [Post 7]

What he said!!! ^^^^^^ I believe he is right on... at least with whitetails.... I can't say with mule deer!
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Postby mjblowers » 09 02, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the help all.
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 03, 2015 •  [Post 9]

mule deer will absolutely blow when they are spooked. I think thats the noise you are referring too? I have found muleys tend to stot off if the see you, but if they catch a whiff of you, they blow almost like saying, peeeyeewww this human stinks.. and then they are gone..
I have heard mule deer grunt while fighting, as stated above about whitetails, But have never used any vocalizations to call in mule deer, they just dont seem to respond to any noises I make in a positive way
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen