Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ruined or saved?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ruined or saved?

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 1]

As the title vaguely asks, which of you deer hunters "ruin" your current deer hunt to take out a predator, I'm mainly talking about coyotes but I think it will be an interesting conversation if you state which predators you would or wouldn't take out. Personally I view it as saving future hunts and fawns if I take out a coyote. I'll go first; coyote and bobcat yes! Even with a 12 guage! Possums, coons, foxes and the like? Only with a bow and even then it must be a really slow 2-3 weeks. :D Coons and possums because they eat all of the wild turkey eggs if not the bird itself (the domestic ones too).
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: Ruined or saved?

Postby Navesgane » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Cant you hunt those predators outside of big game season? I dont think Id risk a MD tag to kill a yote.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Here in NC coyote season is 24/7-365 electronic callers, at night with lights-basically whatever goes. Family obligations and hunting deer nearly every day of the season, keeps me from hunting other animals, also trapping is a no go this year :( . There is also no drawing tags here, all I have to do is buy a deer license and I get 4 doe tags and 2 buck tags, and if I tag out, I can just go buy two more doe tags until the season is finished. For those of you that have to deal with drawing tags etc. I can understand not shooting a yote or bobcat. How about cougars and bears?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby _rj_ » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Everything gets shot when I go out. Most of my family are cattle ranchers. So coyotes are at the top of the hit list. Now if I had an elk at 60 coming in and a coyote at 20. It's the coyotes lucky day because I'm going for the elk. Last year we killed 160+ coyotes from the air. Trapped another 120+. Plus whatever we shoot when we're out and about.

Less permanent land owners around. The younger family members sell off the land once the old timers pass away. Then absentee owners come up about twice a year. So the dog population has exploded.
_rj_

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Palmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Dang! 280+, that's a ton of dogs! Do you mind if I ask what state?
GobbleFarmer

Postby _rj_ » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 6]

GobbleFarmer wrote:Dang! 280+, that's a ton of dogs! Do you mind if I ask what state?

Eastern Oregon. We even have ODFW shooting them from planes.
_rj_

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 7]

WOW, I never would have guessed that. Does the ODFW only shoot 'em in your place or do they shoot the yotes all over?
GobbleFarmer

Postby _rj_ » 08 09, 2015 •  [Post 8]

GobbleFarmer wrote:WOW, I never would have guessed that. Does the ODFW only shoot 'em in your place or do they shoot the yotes all over?

From what I know they shoot yotes in several places. We also run propane cannons to deter elk. They get used to it eventually. They're hard on alfalfa fields. I shot 5 dogs yesterday too.
_rj_