Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

More moisture=antler growth?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

More moisture=antler growth?

Postby GobbleFarmer » 06 01, 2015 •  [Post 1]

So I have heard, that all the rains and extra moisture in the spring/summer, in general helps with antler growth. I was wondering if this is true and if so why? To me the only thing that pops into mind is there will be ample supply of water all over the place, which means the antler growing creatures can easily, and readily get a drink? :?: I don't understand, please explain if you can.

Thanks.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: More moisture=antler growth?

Postby Rangerz » 06 01, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Not a direct but an indirect relationship.

More moisture = better plant growth. Better plant growth = more nutrition for growing antlers/horns.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby GobbleFarmer » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 3]

OH, OK, that makes sense. I should have thought of that, because with the goats here we are always thinking about the weather for better grass growth. The farmers can cut the hay earlier if there is more rain/moisture because the grass grows faster. I can't beleive I didn't put that together. :?

Thanks for the reply Rangerz! Now I know what yall are talking about.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby foxvalley » 06 05, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Yes, moisture creates more vegitation for the deer to eat,but a more important factor that I seen on my farm is that an early greenup,or the sooner that the deer can start feeding on the first new vegitation,the faster that they can get their body weight back up,especially after a very bad winter.Getting there body weight up takes precidence over antler growth, so as soon as there body weight gets back up, the extra nutrients go into the rack.IE, the longer it takes to get body weight back up,the less goes into antler growth,ie smaller, thinner antlers.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby elkaholic » 06 13, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Its looking to be a great year so far. Going to check cams next week and hope to have some pics...
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford