Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Deer Feed/Minerals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Deer Feed/Minerals

Postby Kessler10 » 04 02, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Any suggestions on brand of Deer Feed/Protein/Mineral mixes I should use this year in my feeders?
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Deer Feed/Minerals

Postby wawhitey » 04 03, 2015 •  [Post 2]

April through october i just feed them anything the bears wont mess with. Which is pretty limited. Heres an odd one. I had some bananas that were a bit past their prime. I peeled them and put them in my backyard, just to see, and sure enough the deer gobbled them down right away. Pretty surprising.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby jmez » 04 22, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Trace mineralized stock salt
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Ironman » 05 13, 2015 •  [Post 4]

My wife has a rule that I can't shoot any deer that you can see from the house. And I'm fine with it. But we have a 60 acre field that touches my yard and every time you look out side there are ten to as many as 37 deer in that field. It's like taking a kid to a pet and telling them they can't touch the puppies. ;) . And way we now feed them and their really fun to watch. We give them white salt blocks and mineral blocks, mine rial blocks they seem to like the best. And you want to start a deer party dump out a fifty bag of malloassaes feed of any kind, they will eat it all in one day/night. Deer like anything horse, cows, chickens, goats, are sheep like. Anything from the feed store will do the trick.
Ironman

Postby GobbleFarmer » 05 14, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Has anyone tried trophy rock or four-65?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby wawhitey » 05 15, 2015 •  [Post 6]

GobbleFarmer wrote:Has anyone tried trophy rock or four-65?

465 is the same thing as trace mineral salt from the feed store, just more expensive. I do use the trophy rocks though, which is just a block form of it, because theyre easier to pack than a loose bag of salt, and they dont stick out to the human eye as much as a big square block. Deer, elk and moose hammer them.
wawhitey

Postby GobbleFarmer » 05 15, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Thanks whitey, I have tried a trophy rock once, more for the does growing fawns and antler growth as a side effect. They seemed to lick the bajeezes out of it, up until winter than they stopped. Do you think it's worth keeping a trophy rock out all year round?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby wawhitey » 05 15, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Absolutely leave one out year round. I get deer elk and moose hitting them even in the dead of winter.
wawhitey